HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big Mac's Bar & Lounge: Klaus Catsby, Esquire

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2012, 09:38 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

vCash: 500
I'm anxiously awaiting the Ventura/Stern 2016 compaign.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:23 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Am back from catching my first live OHL game. We won!!!!

Old
11-06-2012, 11:30 PM
JTG

As an Independent, I didn't care who won as I thought both were cut from the same cloth. I will say that I fear for the financial collision course we're going on. People will continue to vote for handouts until the government literally collapses and there's nothing more to give. That being said, both candidates were going to spend the money and increase the budgets so I was completely apathetic to this election. Whether it's war or welfare, spending is spending.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:55 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I always fear for our economic situation. It's got to be the worst I've ever seen or understood in my short life. It's pathetic, really. There is probably more benefit in being broke to take advantage of everything than there is to be scraping by at jobs.

Old
11-07-2012, 12:18 AM
JTG

I agree, and that's coming from someone who works 50 hours a week for about half of the money I should make an hour with a college degree.

I think the Democrat spin machine has done a phenomenal job with painting the GOP as for the "rich." That is definitely on the GOP too. They chose a guy who has been incredibly wealthy his entire life. When the majority of people voting are making an uneducated decision based on very few things, the guy running against Obama probably shouldn't have had that kind of bullseye.

I remember in the primary when they pined all Republicans against Obama and Ron Paul did the best. Not sure what else the GOP was going to expect when the candidate they chose wasn't even the first guy their own party thought would beat Obama.

Old
11-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
The Republicans really need to do some serious soul searching after this election.

I firmly believe that this is the beginning of a 'new' Republican Party or, preferably, a splinter that would involve a legitimate third party introduced. The difference in the election came down to this much - the Democrats can get all sides of the left to vote in unison as much for their guy as they can against the other guy...meanwhile the Republicans are beating each other up and sliding into extremist corners that not only doesn't win Independent voters over, it alienates people who typically vote Republican. There's just too much of a difference between Libertarians and the Religious Right to fall under an umbrella of a single party.

I'm happy. I'm happier that they lost more than we won, mind you. As long as Congress is run by extremist dolts who refuse to acknowledge that the person on the other side of the aisle is an actual human being nothing is going to be accomplished.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
11-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

in the trivia department:

the last time the country has had three 2-term presidents in a row was from 1801-1825: Jefferson, Madison, Monroe.

and Massachusetts is now home to three living presidential nominees who've lost: Mitt Romney, John Kerry and Michael Dukakis.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

The state where Presidential nominees come from always blows my mind...namely the fact that Pennsylvania is such a non-factor despite being a 20+ point state for as long as the Electoral College has been around.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:10 AM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Johnson only gets about 1%...a true shame. Status quo, status quo.

Old
11-07-2012, 02:01 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
Johnson only gets about 1%...a true shame. Status quo, status quo.
A big problem there was that most of the people who wanted to vote for Johnson were in swing states (which are swing states for a reason) and didn't want [Insert Candidate A] to win so they voted for practicality rather than the protest vote.

If you live in California then you can make a protest vote and feel proud of yourself...if you live in Ohio and you make a protest vote then you walk on eggshells when the guy you hate more wins.

For the record I do expect the third parties will get a bump in votes once the Pacific Coast votes get counted...but Johnson will certainly fall well short of his 5% goal.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:15 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Well, this election brought about change for me on a personal level ... no more land line. The last few days have just been horrible, to the point of actually turning the ringers off and letting the machine pick up call after call from political campaigns. Should have done it sooner, but I've had that number so long it was hard to give up even though I use my cell 99% of the time. And while it was a little late to miss all the election related calls, it will be in time to miss all the holiday calls from non-profits and future political calls. Figure I'll use that extra money to bump my internet connection up to 50 Mbs

Old
11-07-2012, 01:36 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I always fear for our economic situation. It's got to be the worst I've ever seen or understood in my short life. It's pathetic, really. There is probably more benefit in being broke to take advantage of everything than there is to be scraping by at jobs.

These charts tell the whole story folks.... and this is data from the Fed. Get ready for another long 4 years. It's plain to see that this economy is running on fumes and that things will be stagnant for a while.

The unemployment rate has dropped from the peak, yes, but that is just an optical thing. A lot of folks have dropped out of the labor force and are no longer seeking jobs, which means they are no longer represented in the unemployment rate #'s.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
As an Independent, I didn't care who won as I thought both were cut from the same cloth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
The Republicans really need to do some serious soul searching after this election.
i do bemoan the decline of the "Rockefeller Republican." hell, the term is down-right archaic now (i got a call from a pollster/volunteer who had no idea who Nelson Rockefeller even was). I'd say that wing of the party was culturally liberal and not opposed to government intervention and regulation with regards to public goods but was weary of wealth redistribution.

Thomas E. Dewey (ran for president against Truman / gov of NY), Earl Warren (gov of CA / supreme court chief justice), Richard Nixon (circa 1960, not so much 1972), Henry Cabot Lodge (senator from Mass / UN Ambassador), Nelson Rockefeller (VP / gov of NY). their influence in the republican party has slowly but surely waned and i think most would be outright rejected by the current party if they were around.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:50 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

I'm pretty happy Gary Johnson did poorly because I loathe Libertarianism and love seeing its delusions of (5% of) grandeur shattered.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:47 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

I don't want to get too political in here, but the point of being on unemployment is temporary while you find a job. It kills me that it doesn't pay to go back to work because you can soak up pretty much your entire pay check just by sitting at home. I'll never understand why unemployment pays SO much.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:49 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:

I firmly believe that this is the beginning of a 'new' Republican Party or, preferably, a splinter that would involve a legitimate third party introduced. The difference in the election came down to this much - the Democrats can get all sides of the left to vote in unison as much for their guy as they can against the other guy...meanwhile the Republicans are beating each other up and sliding into extremist corners that not only doesn't win Independent voters over, it alienates people who typically vote Republican. There's just too much of a difference between Libertarians and the Religious Right to fall under an umbrella of a single party.

I'm happy. I'm happier that they lost more than we won, mind you. As long as Congress is run by extremist dolts who refuse to acknowledge that the person on the other side of the aisle is an actual human being nothing is going to be accomplished.
I don't think the Republicans have to change too much. I just think people's mindset of "give me things" needs to change. People will vote in the masses for who will give them the most. It boggles my freaking mind. Whoever is extending unemployment and giving additional welfare is going to be voted on. It's just the way our country works right now.

It's quite sickening.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:06 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOTO View Post
I'm pretty happy Gary Johnson did poorly because I loathe Libertarianism and love seeing its delusions of (5% of) grandeur shattered.
Johnson's brand of politics would have been a great step forward for this country. Fiscally conservative and socially tolerant.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I don't think the Republicans have to change too much. I just think people's mindset of "give me things" needs to change. People will vote in the masses for who will give them the most. It boggles my freaking mind. Whoever is extending unemployment and giving additional welfare is going to be voted on. It's just the way our country works right now.

It's quite sickening.
If you think the masses of people who vote for Obama simply because they want a handout then you're as far out to lunch as Victoria Jackson and Donald Trump.

The right in this country seems to blur the chasm between basic human compassion and Communism.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

It's really cool when people leave boards with like 50 nails in them in the middle of the road, and you don't see it because there's snow all over the road, and then you subsequently have no tires anymore. **** you, Life. We're not done here...

Old
11-07-2012, 05:32 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
If you think the masses of people who vote for Obama simply because they want a handout then you're as far out to lunch as Victoria Jackson and Donald Trump.

The right in this country seems to blur the chasm between basic human compassion and Communism.
Yeah. That seems... pretty cynical. And maybe a bit out of touch.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:42 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:

I don't pick sides prior to the election like some. I don't really understand where it comes from. People are hell-bent on calling out others. Was the stat 80% of minorities voted for Obama? That's the difference right there in the election, my friend. How easy is it to see?

Ultimately, you cannot deny how many people do freeload. Take politics/side/etc. out of the equation and let's just discuss freeloading to maintain a safe discussion instead of having to move for politics. How can you look at those charts cassius posted and not at least question a littlllllllllle bit about who wants handouts and what not?

But.. we (I'm to blame as i referenced politics) can't have a hostile political debate here. That's for PMs or the political board.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:19 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
The state where Presidential nominees come from always blows my mind...namely the fact that Pennsylvania is such a non-factor despite being a 20+ point state for as long as the Electoral College has been around.
Yeah and the one guy we got in to the White House (Buchanan) is considered one of the worst presidents of all time. No one on the horizon at all either.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

We're getting a little too political for these boards. Please take the discussion to the politics board on page 2.
http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php...ysprune=&f=160

11-07-2012, 06:59 PM
JTG

Quote:

You sort of nailed it. This article pretty much piggybacks off what you said...

http://www.tnr.com/article/books-and...own?page=0%2C0

My favorite quote there is..."DESPITE THE MISERY of continuous political defeat, moderate Republicanism—moderate by contemporary standards, at any rate—is not intellectually dead. Quite the opposite, in fact. The movement in recent years has seen a flowering of bright, creative, deeply empirical thinkers, who grapple with liberal arguments rather than retreat into an ideological cocoon, and attempt to re-fashion a program for their party that responds to real-world conditions rather than treat anti-government dogma as an eternal and axiomatic truth."

Republican's need a new identity. There is a large part of the "Republican" party who is just as that paragraph states, and I'm one of them. The Republicans have gone so far off track that I cannot even call myself a Republican anymore. I could give two ***** less about social issues as I think they have no place in legislature. None whatsoever. I vote based on economics, and my vote last night was against Obama and not for Romney because I fear for how much money he can spend when he doesn't have to worry about being re-elected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
We're getting a little too political for these boards. Please take the discussion to the politics board on page 2.
http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php...ysprune=&f=160
Is there any way we can start a political thread on Pens board? We all like talking about these issues with each other, it doesn't get out of hand, and from my knowledge, no one gets offended. I think the "No political talk" on this board is ridiculous, especially if it's being done in a respectful manner.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

I hope there is a more moderate republican candidate in 2016. I DO care about social issues and, like JTG I think social issues have no place in legislature. However, that is precisely the reason I could not vote for a Republican candidate right now. Christian fundamentalism has no business in Washington.

As for the economy, I think Obama will be forced to lower the deficit by a Republican-controlled house. Lowering the military budget would provide so much relief. I'm all for combining higher taxes on the upper class with cuts in spending and I really hope congress follows through on it. As for the labor force participation, there is more to it than "people are leaning on the system" and "people are dissuaded from working". The population is aging and boomers are exiting the workforce - an all-time low labor force participation rate should be expected.

Closed Thread