HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor - Phi

Old
11-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Hmmmn, no bias shown there eh?
Ummm....what am i missing?

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Ummm....what am i missing?

Should be pretty obvious.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Jtown

not obvious to me....what is it?

Old
11-07-2012, 08:02 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
not obvious to me....what is it?
If you're gonna call the 27 point center a top 6 (which I presume actually means top 2 center) then you should be rating Gardiner according to his potential as well, right?

Old
11-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Jtown

Quote:
If you're gonna call the 27 point center a top 6 (which I presume actually means top 2 center) then you should be rating Gardiner according to his potential as well, right?
No i did not do it based on potential. If i said that then it would be Couturier first line center, and Gardiner top pairing dman.

If that is the case then you are looking at a staal/Richards type package for couturier and a matt carle/Brent burns type package for Gardiner....

When you compare those 2 packages the center proves to be more valuable.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Gotcha, he's a 27 point 2nd line center...those are worth a fortune.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Gotcha, he's a 27 point 2nd line center...those are worth a fortune.

Last year he played the 4th line. He probably wont be getting top 6 minutes until next season.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
No i did not do it based on potential. If i said that then it would be Couturier first line center, and Gardiner top pairing dman.

If that is the case then you are looking at a staal/Richards type package for couturier and a matt carle/Brent burns type package for Gardiner....

Quote:
Last year he played the 4th line. He probably wont be getting top 6 minutes until next season.

I thought you did not base it on potential?

Old
11-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Jtown

Quote:
I thought you did not base it on potential?
Hmm by this logic sidney crosby is merely a second line center.

in 2010 Claude giroux centered the flyers 3rd line. That team had 4 centers, briere, richards, carter and giroux. By circumstance giroux was shifted to the 3rd line.

Last season our centers were giroux, briere, and a mixture of schenn and matt read.

Because of circumstance he is our 3rd best center.

But trust me on a team like tml he would be their first line center, or a team like the islanders he would be there 2nd line center. Many teams he would be a top 6 center .

Old
11-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

So 27 points, 14 mins a game = 2nd line center?

Old
11-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
This thread has gone the wrong way in a hurry.

Last year, Couturier was a bottom-6 forward. Last year, Gardiner was a bottom-4 offensive defenseman.

In the future, reasonably conservative projections would suggest that Couturier will develop into a top-6 center, and Gardiner will develop into a better-rounded top-4 D.

That's how I read his statement, and I don't think there's anything particularly problematic about it.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Put up a poll value wise Gardiner vs. Couturier. Let the masses decide.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
This thread has gone the wrong way in a hurry.

Last year, Couturier was a bottom-6 forward. Last year, Gardiner was a bottom-4 offensive defenseman.

In the future, reasonably conservative projections would suggest that Couturier will develop into a top-6 center, and Gardiner will develop into a better-rounded top-4 D.

That's how I read his statement, and I don't think there's anything particularly problematic about it.
Quote:
I think the value difference between the two players comes down to position.

Gardiner is a top 4 dman and Couturier is a top 6 center

Top 4 dmen can be had for 2nd round picks. a la Grossman, wisniewski etc etc.

Top 6 centers rarely get traded , and when they do the price tag is much higher than a 2nd rounder. Chris kelly a 4th line center got traded for a 2nd rounder.

Mike fisher a top 6 center got traded for a 1st and a 3rd round pick.
Quote:

Is that still how you read his statement?

Old
11-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
Put up a poll value wise Gardiner vs. Couturier. Let the masses decide.

I'm not argueing the value of Couturier vs Gardiner. I'm argueing that Couturier is not currently a number 2 center, would you like me to post that poll? Not that a poll here proves anything anyhowz.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:25 AM
duffy9748

Quote:
This is why HF is frustrating. You clearly know that isn't what he meant so you hide behind that statistic to try and prove your point. Anyone who watched Couturier last year will be disappointed if his ceiling is a 2nd line center. He'll be just as valuable as Giroux after this season.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Jtown

Quote:
I'm not argueing the value of Couturier vs Gardiner. I'm argueing that Couturier is not currently a number 2 center, would you like me to post that poll? Not that a poll here proves anything anyhowz.
no currently he is our 4th line center.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
This is why HF is frustrating. You clearly know that isn't what he meant so you hide behind that statistic to try and prove your point. Anyone who watched Couturier last year will be disappointed if his ceiling is a 2nd line center. He'll be just as valuable as Giroux after this season.
Oh please enlighten me, what did he mean? He's made it clear that Couturier is a current #2 center, while Gardiner is currently a top 4 d...do you agree with this statement? I'm not talking about ceilings here, I'm not talking about 2016 either, I'm talking about the here and now...

Old
11-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Tyler Myers

D-men usually take a little more time develop... compare the amount of 18 year forwards to the amount of 18 d-men. Gardiner is already early boomer (IMO) considering that he went the college route instead of the MJ. Honestly with Giroux and Schenn + Rielly and the young d-core in TO, i think this is would be a good move for both teams.

Tyler Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
I think the value difference between the two players comes down to position.

Gardiner is a top 4 dman and Couturier is a top 6 center

Top 4 dmen can be had for 2nd round picks. a la Grossman, wisniewski etc etc.

Top 6 centers rarely get traded , and when they do the price tag is much higher than a 2nd rounder. Chris kelly a 4th line center got traded for a 2nd rounder.

Mike fisher a top 6 center got traded for a 1st and a 3rd round pick.
Quote:
no currently he is our 4th line center.

And Gardiner is currently our #2 defenseman...not that that makes him a legit #2 yet.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
And Gardiner is currently our #2 defenseman...not that that makes him a legit #2 yet.
True. However Gardiner benifits from playing on a defensively weak team, whereas Couterier is on a team loaded with center/ forward depth. Couterier on the Leafs would play top-6 and improve his stats with the increase in TOI and PP time. Gardiner in Philly would be 2nd pairing dman. Hence IMO Gardiner for Couterier isnt a wise swap for Philly unless Toronto adds

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:40 AM
UKFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Jake Gardiner, a rookie defenseman, outscored(in less games) Sean Couturier, a rookie forward last season. One rookie made the 11/12 All-Rookie team while one rooke did not. Toronto also adds a 20G+-40pt+ top 9 forward in his prime..

And Toronto is still told to add!

Oh HFBoards.. You never fail to make laugh.

--
Oh and before I get..Bu-but Couturier shut down Malkin in the playoffs! Well firstly, Malkin was far above PPG that series posting 3G-8pts in 6gp and while he wasn't as effective at ES it is well-known that was a very PP-based scoring series. Secondly, Couturier posted a paltry 4pts in 11gp, scoring in only 1gp of the playoffs and going scoreless in the other 10gp.
Oh come on. It was such a wild series, the only real way you can compare how Malking performed in comparison with the rest of the team. He was the 3rd top scoring C on the team. He had 8 points in 6 games, in a series where Kennedy, Sullivan and Kunitz were all PPG. And this was a man who was a dominant force, the focal point of the team in the regular season.

Also, the point about the All-Rookie team has no relevance whatsoever. If they were picking 5 rookies from any positions it would, but they weren't. Let's face it, Couturier would have had to have gone some to beat Nugent-Hopkins into the Center position, considering how instantly important RNH is to Edmonton and the limited PP/ES ice-time Couturier got.

UKFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:16 AM
duffy9748

Quote:
Oh please enlighten me, what did he mean? He's made it clear that Couturier is a current #2 center, while Gardiner is currently a top 4 d...do you agree with this statement? I'm not talking about ceilings here, I'm not talking about 2016 either, I'm talking about the here and now...
Going into this season...I'd have no problem calling Sean Couturier the 2nd line center on the Flyers. He will get PP time and will most likely end up leading Flyer forwards in TOI because he is Laviolette's favorite toy.

Last year, he was not a 2nd line center.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:33 AM
PayItForward

Quote:
Going into this season...I'd have no problem calling Sean Couturier the 2nd line center on the Flyers. He will get PP time and will most likely end up leading Flyer forwards in TOI because he is Laviolette's favorite toy.

Uh, yeah, there's a good chance that Couturier is playing as the Flyers 3rd line center, so that's a bit of a stretch. He was 9th in total TOI and 10th in TOI/G last year for Flyer forwards and he's going to jump all of those players to be first next year? Huge stretch, as I said.

The value between Gardiner and Couturier is very close, with Couturier having a slightly higher value IMO. There isn't on the other hand, this vast difference between the 2 like some want to believe.

Last edited by PayItForward: 11-07-2012 at 11:39 AM.
PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:

You see, that is a projection on your part...there is a big difference of actually being a #2 than being projected as a number 2. A guy who has never held the number 2 slot nor put up the points or minutes isn't a #2 C, even if Philly fans say otherwise.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
You see, that is a projection on your part...there is a big difference of actually being a #2 than being projected as a number 2. A guy who has never held the number 2 slot nor put up the points or minutes isn't a #2 C, even if Philly fans say otherwise.
Are you using those labels "1C, 2C, 1D, 2D, etc." to refer to the players' role on their particular team?

I think the consensus around here is that that's a poor way to think about it (Malkin isn't "really" a second-line center, after all). Rather, the question is how that player would fit on most teams or the average team in the NHL.

If that's the standard, it seems fair to refer to Couturier as solid 3C now (look at the Flyers depth at the position, compared to many other clubs). By the same token, I think Gardiner is a solid 4, who can play big (if some what "soft" minutes), but isn't quite ready to anchor a top-four pairing.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote