HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Pick #78 - Shayne Gostisbehere, Defenseman, Union College (NCAA)

Old
11-07-2012, 04:56 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
3 g 6 a 9 pts in 7 gms

I dont know much about college hockey so the ECAC is a bit lost on me. How competitive of a league is it? Is this the type of league where he is expected to put up major pts?

The flyers dont have too much to look forward to in terms of defense and this guy seems to be someone to keep an eye out on.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 08:15 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
3 g 6 a 9 pts in 7 gms

I dont know much about college hockey so the ECAC is a bit lost on me. How competitive of a league is it? Is this the type of league where he is expected to put up major pts?

The flyers dont have too much to look forward to in terms of defense and this guy seems to be someone to keep an eye out on.
The ECAC is an average league in regards to players scoring points. If ghost keeps up the rate that he is going, it will be a phenominal season for him and the flyers might even look at signing him. That being said i hope they dont for two reasons. One is that he is superrr skinny. He really needs to gain some weight without losing his agility which is one of his main threats. Two is his defensive play which is actually improving dramatically. They sai so far this season and from the us wjc summer camp, he has looked really good. He positions well and uses the stick very well.

When he was one of the best looking defenders at the camp with other first round picks there, you know you might have something

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The ECAC is an average league in regards to players scoring points. If ghost keeps up the rate that he is going, it will be a phenominal season for him and the flyers might even look at signing him. That being said i hope they dont for two reasons. One is that he is superrr skinny. He really needs to gain some weight without losing his agility which is one of his main threats. Two is his defensive play which is actually improving dramatically. They sai so far this season and from the us wjc summer camp, he has looked really good. He positions well and uses the stick very well.

When he was one of the best looking defenders at the camp with other first round picks there, you know you might have something

That is good to hear. I think he is the prospect im most excited about. And he is probably the prospect we most need to pan out.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg

I've been keeping tabs on him. Really excited by his progress, but he still has a long way to go.

He really impressed in the US WJC camp this past summer from all accounts, and has a very good chance at making the team if he continues his good play.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:53 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
3 g 6 a 9 pts in 7 gms

For a defenseman, being over a PPG is a very impressive thing, no matter what the league is. But, the ECAC is probably the 4th best of the 5 major D1 conferences, behind WCHA, Hockey East, and CCHA, ahead of Atlantic Hockey. If he was doing that in the WCHA or Hockey East, there would definitely be a lot more buzz. He's currently tied for the lead in D1 in points among defensemen with Mac Bennett of Michigan.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:17 PM
RoDu

I don't want to get my hopes up on him. He puts up points at this level, but he's so tiny, needs some extra lbs of muscle to make it in the pros imo

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 06:36 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up on him. He puts up points at this level, but he's so tiny, needs some extra lbs of muscle to make it in the pros imo
Your 100% right. He needs to but also has to make sure he doesnt lose his speed and agility while gaining weight.

That being said i cant see him leaving early AT ALL. He is an engineering major. They dont typically chose that kind of major to leave early.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I too hope he pans out. But wow he is small and light to boot.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Your 100% right. He needs to but also has to make sure he doesnt lose his speed and agility while gaining weight.

That being said i cant see him leaving early AT ALL. He is an engineering major. They dont typically chose that kind of major to leave early.

I agree.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...f_Germany.html

Flyers draft pick scores in U.S. junior team's rout of Germany

Quote:
Defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere, a player who may one day quarterback the Flyers' power play, scored a power-play goal as the United States cruised past Germany, 8-0, in the IIHF World Junior Championship tournament Thursday in Ufa, Russia.

"I like what I see from him. He's very creative with the puck," said Ian Laperriere, the Flyers' director of player development. "I'm glad he's playing in this tournament because it's a chance to see how he responds."

It was the first game in the International Ice Hockey Federation tournament for the Americans, who will have a much tougher challenge Friday when they face Russia in a 9 a.m. game that will be televised by the NHL Network and streamed live on NHL.com.

Eight players scored for Team USA on Thursday.

"We stuck to our game plan: all speed and forecheck hard," said Gostisbehere, a Union College (N.Y.) sophomore, in a phone interview from Russia after the game. "It's a big confidence-builder for us, and we're going to feed off it."

The lefthanded-shooting Gostisbehere, a Florida native who was drafted by the Flyers in the third round (78th overall) in June, gave Team USA a 5-0, second-period lead as he one-timed a blast from the top of the right circle into the upper corner.

The U.S. team scored 19 seconds into the game and never looked back.
Quote:
Gostisbehere (pronounced GOST-is-bear) has recovered from a summer concussion and has five goals and 13 points in 15 games for Union.

"I'm very excited to see what he can become," Laperriere said. "He's only going to get stronger and more confident."

Nicknamed "Ghost," Gostisbehere is 5-foot-11 and weighs just 167 pounds, so he uses his speed and smarts to compensate. Gostisbehere, 19, acknowledged that he needs to put on some pounds to help win more puck battles in the corners.

But Laperriere doesn't want him to bulk up too much.

"He moves well and is very agile, and that's what we like about him," Laperriere said. "We don't want him to put on too much weight. Today it's a fast game, and you don't need to be big."

Laperriere said Gostisbehere reminds him of a young Duncan Keith, a 29-year-old standout defenseman with the Chicago Blackhawks who is known for his stellar two-way play.

"I'm not saying he's him yet, but I like the way he wants the puck," Laperriere said. "Every chance he gets, he moves into the [offensive] play, sometimes too much. But I'd rather see someone who wants to get involved than the other way around."

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 12-28-2012 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Site rules limit that amount of text that can be quoted
Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:32 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Would be nice if Ghost was the Flyers version of Brian Leetch.....

Leetch "had" a couple of inches and about 20lbs on Ghost right now but Ghost will fill out a bit more. He def has the wheels, shot and puck handling skills...not to mention vision.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:51 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Would be nice if Ghost was the Flyers version of Brian Leetch.....

Leetch "had" a couple of inches and about 20lbs on Ghost right now but Ghost will fill out a bit more. He def has the wheels, shot and puck handling skills...not to mention vision.
Let's not get ahead of ourselve here.
He looks more like M.A. Bergeron than Brian Leetch.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 10:54 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Let's not get ahead of ourselve here.
He looks more like M.A. Bergeron than Brian Leetch.
One can dream..but yeah..long way to go!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:00 AM
mercury

Gottaspear for prez!

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Stizzle

Some article that was published today...

Eye on the Future: Philadelphia Flyers Prospect Shayne Gostisbehere, Union College

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/ecac...e-gostisbehere

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 12:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
A couple times he tried to go 1-on-4 at the opposing blue line to skate the puck into the zone and ended up losing possession of the puck both times.
Crap, looks like he'll spend half the season benched in favor of an inferior vet.

01-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Tpinheiro4

Quote:
A couple times he tried to go 1-on-4 at the opposing blue line to skate the puck into the zone and ended up losing possession of the puck both times.
I know this is not the same scenario but, I am fine that Ghost is attempting to rush the puck in. In a study of 9680 even-strength zone rushes here are the stats:

% of Shots achieved on rushes:
Carry in: 57% of rushes
Dump & Chase: 25% of rushes

So, Carrying it in is obviously the more dangerous rush, which is to be expected so, I am happy Ghost is taking risky chances to get into the zone, and it seems like he has the speed to recover in many situations.

Tpinheiro4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:50 AM
Codith

Ghost will be the best d prospect we have, book it

Hagg-Morin-Ghost-Gus

Could be very solid core within the next 3-5 years

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 08:53 AM
Prongo
Beer

I am very excited for him and have been for quite some time. I am excited for one huge reason, his SKATING. I can not wait to have a player who knows how to skate the puck up the ice and actually make something happen. Watch Coburn, it's hilarious once he hits the oppositions blue line, he literally justs slows down and drops the puck in. Ghost will have the ability to bring the puck into the zone and actually make something happen. Of course we will go through growing pains, but I really feel he has some big potential.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 09:09 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
I was hoping we'd see him next year, but in all likelihood, it appears 2 years.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 11:01 AM
Tpinheiro4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I am very excited for him and have been for quite some time. I am excited for one huge reason, his SKATING. I can not wait to have a player who knows how to skate the puck up the ice and actually make something happen. Watch Coburn, it's hilarious once he hits the oppositions blue line, he literally justs slows down and drops the puck in. Ghost will have the ability to bring the puck into the zone and actually make something happen. Of course we will go through growing pains, but I really feel he has some big potential.
I totally agree. He is an amazing skater, and he has a wicked shot. I am convinced he would be one of our better defenseman if he joined the team right now.

From watching several of his games it is obvious he is a better player when he is playing with a shoot first mentality. That 11 shot game he had was simply incredible. It is probably a pipe dream to think he could become as good as Erik Karlsson, or at least on his level, but I would not put that totally out of the question. Every game I see him play I keep getting more convinced that he will be a great defenseman for us.

Tpinheiro4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Jtown

The more I hear about Ghost the more I think Morin is the perfect partner for him.

While i do think Morin has a ton of offense to provide in the future. Ultimately he is the biggest safety valve on his team.

Usually His d partner has no qualms about moving up the ice and getting caught up high because Morin is back there to Prevent anything bad from happening and he is so big and fast that he is usually able to neutralize an attack before anything can happen.

Old
01-30-2014, 11:09 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
The more I hear about Ghost the more I think Morin is the perfect partner for him.

While i do think Morin has a ton of offense to provide in the future. Ultimately he is the biggest safety valve on his team.

Usually His d partner has no qualms about moving up the ice and getting caught up high because Morin is back there to Prevent anything bad from happening and he is so big and fast that he is usually able to neutralize an attack before anything can happen.
I'll be downright giddy if Morin and Ghost can turn into our version of Carlson and Alzner.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 11:18 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I'll be downright giddy if Morin and Ghost can turn into our version of Carlson and Alzner.
Probably closer to Krug and Chara. When the Bruins are down Its basically a 4 forward attack and Chara is just waiting behind the blueline not letting anyone past him.

Old
01-30-2014, 11:57 AM
Stizzle

Just to remind everyone, his game tomorrow is streaming free in HD.

http://www.saintsathletics.com/sport...22.aspx?id=154

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote