HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the season is wiped out - Lupul, Bozak, Conolly etc are UFA's

Old
11-06-2012, 04:11 PM
The Blue Devil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Getzlaf and Perry were apart of a team that got Randy Caryle fired from Anaheim, when it was considered the players quit on him..

At first it was the GM that threatened to deal the players are rumours circulated as to their availability. At the end of the day Anaheim decided to keep the players and fire Carlyle replacing him with Boudreau.

I agree Carlye and his past as well as his relationship with these players will be a determining factor in the outcome should they decide to test free agency. Joffrey Lupul and Carlyle did not have a good relationship in Anaheim, and Lupul wasn't overly pleased when it was announced he would be Leafs new coach, as they didn't see eye to eye in California in the past.
WTF are you goin on about now? The exact opposite happened, Lupul even started blocking shots when Carlyle came in.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:47 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
He's an average 2nd liner, and outside his offense, he doesn't really bring anything else to a "shutdown"/checking 3rd line. He's been a useful player for us for these past few seasons, but acquiring/developing some real top 6 quality players (preferably with some size and/or grit) will easily make him expendable.
Which of our prospects are ready to take his place, though? The only prospect who is at all close is Kadri, guys like Biggs and D'Amigo have a long way to go before we can think about them being better than Mac. He's IMO the 4th best winger on this team, behind only Kessel, Lupul and JVR, but ahead of Kulemin, Frattin, Kadri, etc.

FWIW, among full time Leafs:
- Last year MacArthur was 2nd on the team in even strength CORSI, and 1st on the team in even strength +/- per 60 mins
- In 2009/10 MacArthur has been 2nd on the team in even strength CORSI, and 3rd on the team in even strength +/- per 60 mins

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+25+26+27+28#

Certainly playing a lot with Grabo helped him out in these categories, but I think a lot of people fail to realize how solid he is, just because he isn't huge or flashy. His hockey IQ and passing game are very good for a winger, he's a pretty good goal scorer too, he brings decent toughness and physicality, and is solid in his own end. He's a jack of all trades who brings quite a lot to the table, why wouldn't we want to resign him? He's a good player for us, and at the very least he'd be a pretty decent trade chip in the future.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Lupul is the only one I even remotely care about.

Bozak is an ahl player, so I really don't care too much about FA's on the marlies.

Connolly simply didn't work out here. I was cautiously optimistic about him playing with Kessel... but it is what it is. I think his nhl career may be finished.

Disgruntled Observer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 06:05 PM
NoVe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
Lupul is the only one I even remotely care about.

Bozak is an ahl player, so I really don't care too much about FA's on the marlies.

Connolly simply didn't work out here. I was cautiously optimistic about him playing with Kessel... but it is what it is. I think his nhl career may be finished.
Bozak is an AHL player.!?! Seriously dude, he is way more than an AHL player.

Stop hating.!! He was dropped into the 1C spot from his first game with the Leafs. And he has held it down decently considering he is a lot closer to a 3C than a 1C. And he would definitely be one hell of a 3C

NoVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVe View Post

Stop hating.!! He was dropped into the 1C spot from his first game with the Leafs. And he has held it down decently considering he is a lot closer to a 3C than a 1C. And he would definitely be one hell of a 3C
If Bozak got a measily 18 goals playing with 1st line players, 1st line minutes, and 1st line PP time... then what would he do on the 3rd line?
Zero goals? Accidentally score on his own net 5 times? Be negative 5 goals on the season?

On the vast majority of nhl teams, Bozak would be an ahl player. His overall game isn't good enough to warrant the 3rd line. His offensive skills aren't good enough for the first 2 lines. 3rd line players are a dime a dozen anyways.

Old
11-06-2012, 06:57 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Ducks might need Getzlaf or Perry just to hit the floor.

If they kept both and gave both a 2 million a year raise (on reduced 50/50 HRR-AE) they'd probably be fine.

They have Selanne and Koivu making 8.3 million and both could retire.

Going to be difficult to land either let alone both.

Going to be several suitors for those guys, perhaps the coach will be deciding factor.

Alfie from the Sens might be gone, opening a spot on the top line for Perry there to play with Spezza.
Offer both the most money then. All of a sudden, the Leafs look like a great option.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:37 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Offer both the most money then. All of a sudden, the Leafs look like a great option.
How?

It isn't like the Leafs are the only team with money and with a cap most teams can all pay the same.

Nothing special about money from one team over another.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:58 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
How?

It isn't like the Leafs are the only team with money and with a cap most teams can all pay the same.

Nothing special about money from one team over another.
The Leafs are in a great position to offer the most money. They should actually try.

They'll be at most 3 other teams offering massive deals to both.

It's not like Parise/Suter had a dozen teams in serious consideration. Once you get to 100 million deals, very few teams can offer that. The majority of NHl teams are losing money. No, most teams can't pay the same when you're talking about that type of money.

Last edited by RogerRoeper*: 11-06-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old
11-06-2012, 08:04 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
The Leafs are in a great position to offer the most money. They should actually try.

It's not like Parise/Suter had a dozen teams in serious consideration. Once you get to 100 million deals, very few teams can offer that. The majority of NHl teams are losing money.
Plus i think that its pretty obvious after CBA the massive contract sizes will be limited, and the teams that might have possibly been able to squeeze one in will be limited given what Getz and Perry will deserve.

Everything else makes alot of sense. Previous success with coach / GM. Get to be in spotlight on canadian team. Join a couple elite talents, would solidify fwd group as one of best. Clear need for size and both playing styles of each player. Good prospect pool with the right supporting cast players coming along.

If I am getz and perry, and toronto offers me max dollars more or less or matches the top offers...

I like the sound of my lines, I wont bother making the lines because who knows if we could afford Lupul too, but a top 6 combo of: Getzlaf, Perry, Kessel, JVR, Kulemin, Grabovski, maybe Kadri sounds pretty damn awesome.

Rielly on defence soon, some promising role players... Doesnt leave many holes on the team outside of the G if Reims doesnt pan out.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Looney Toonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVe View Post

Not sure you should be arguing with a so called leaf fan with the name "Disgruntled observer" its a lose lose.

Looney Toonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:51 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

It's not like Parise/Suter had a dozen teams in serious consideration. Once you get to 100 million deals, very few teams can offer that. The majority of NHl teams are losing money. No, most teams can't pay the same when you're talking about that type of money.
There are a lot of teams with a lot of cap space.

I wouldn't even count out the Islanders making a splash for their new building.

Coyotes new owner might want to make a splash.

Let's hope Burke is willing to go to the fence here, but I think he might make a trade before then using some of his extra overflowing cupboards assets to land a 1st. line center. Easily throw Kadri, Blacker, MacArthur at a player if someone has an extra 1st. line center to spare.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:09 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:

Let's hope Burke is willing to go to the fence here, but I think he might make a trade before then using some of his extra overflowing cupboards assets to land a 1st. line center. Easily throw Kadri, Blacker, MacArthur at a player if someone has an extra 1st. line center to spare.
Problem is who has a #1C to spare?

PIT, LAK...who else?

I have no issue with Burke spending some of that youth capital he has built up to fill our holes. Infact I think it is time to do it.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:16 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Problem is who has a #1C to spare?

PIT, LAK...who else?

I have no issue with Burke spending some of that youth capital he has built up to fill our holes. Infact I think it is time to do it.
If Ducks can't get Getzlaf to sign an extension he's a good target. They won't let him walk for free, and often a player will give first dibs to the team moved to.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:20 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
If Ducks can't get Getzlaf to sign an extension he's a good target. They won't let him walk for free, and often a player will give first dibs to the team moved to.
Well he does know BUrke so that is a plus.

I wouldn't want to trade without a contract in place.

The price would be high.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Leafidelity

vCash: 1775
Quote:
If Bozak got a measily 18 goals playing with 1st line players, 1st line minutes, and 1st line PP time... then what would he do on the 3rd line?
Zero goals? Accidentally score on his own net 5 times? Be negative 5 goals on the season?

On the vast majority of nhl teams, Bozak would be an ahl player. His overall game isn't good enough to warrant the 3rd line. His offensive skills aren't good enough for the first 2 lines. 3rd line players are a dime a dozen anyways.
The fact that you call 18 goals "measly" isn't just wrong, it's hilariously wrong. Lets take a trip around the league and see which other centres got a 18 measly goals or less.

Joe Thornton - 18 goals
Mike Richards - 18 goals
Mike Ribeiro - 18 goals
Ryan O'Reilly - 18 goals
Derek Stepan - 17 goals
Tomas Plekanec - 17 goals
Derek Roy - 17 goals
Brandon Sutter - 17 goals
David Desharnais - 16 goals

Could you atleast try a little harder to make sense? I get that you've decided you hate the world and want everyone to know about it - but atleast put forth an effort. Your post is almost self-parody.

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:35 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
The fact that you call 18 goals "measly" isn't just wrong, it's hilariously wrong. Lets take a trip around the league and see which other centres got a 18 measly goals or less.

Joe Thornton - 18 goals
Mike Richards - 18 goals
Mike Ribeiro - 18 goals
Ryan O'Reilly - 18 goals
Derek Stepan - 17 goals
Derek Roy - 17 goals

Could you atleast try a little harder to make sense? I get that you've decided you hate the world and want everyone to know about it - but atleast put forth an effort. Your post is almost self-parody.
Wow. Good list. Becareful, or he'll slam you with his 2nd and 9th pick argument. Oh wait does that work here?
This should be good.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:00 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:

I feel very confidant those will never happen.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:37 PM
rdawg1234

I'd target both Perry and Getz next summer.

Especially if the lockout ends and we say make 8th or have a decent run(or even if we pickup Luongo as well.)

Neither of them signed with the ducks, which isnt a good sign for that organization which all of sudden seems to be going down hill.

My guess is one resigns, the other walks, unfortunately I think the one that walks(and has some actual interest in the leafs) would be Perry, as Getz has a family in Anaheim.

Although say we have a solid season and do get Perry(for a low price, or at free agency). I'd probably then flip a bunch of wingers+picks and go all in for a big young #1C(tavares, Duchene). Dreaming I know, but even getting Perry would give us alot of value to work with.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:19 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Which of our prospects are ready to take his place, though? The only prospect who is at all close is Kadri, guys like Biggs and D'Amigo have a long way to go before we can think about them being better than Mac. He's IMO the 4th best winger on this team, behind only Kessel, Lupul and JVR, but ahead of Kulemin, Frattin, Kadri, etc.

FWIW, among full time Leafs:
- Last year MacArthur was 2nd on the team in even strength CORSI, and 1st on the team in even strength +/- per 60 mins
- In 2009/10 MacArthur has been 2nd on the team in even strength CORSI, and 3rd on the team in even strength +/- per 60 mins

Certainly playing a lot with Grabo helped him out in these categories, but I think a lot of people fail to realize how solid he is, just because he isn't huge or flashy. His hockey IQ and passing game are very good for a winger, he's a pretty good goal scorer too, he brings decent toughness and physicality, and is solid in his own end. He's a jack of all trades who brings quite a lot to the table, why wouldn't we want to resign him? He's a good player for us, and at the very least he'd be a pretty decent trade chip in the future.
The question is not who could replace him right now, but who do you think would be able to replace him between next offseason, and whenever his contract extension would be up (ie: between 2013 and 2015-2016).

Jack of all trades, master of none. The thing I'm mostly worried about is management deciding to give him a dumb Grabovski-type contract (not the same $ amount, but overpaying him on a longer term), which may make him essentially untradeable for the duration of the contract. I'd rather get rid of him now, than be stuck with him for a minimum of 2-3 years while he's blocking a roster spot from our prospects.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:21 AM
Disgruntled Observer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post

Joe Thornton - 18 goals
Mike Richards - 18 goals
Mike Ribeiro - 18 goals
Ryan O'Reilly - 18 goals
Derek Stepan - 17 goals
Derek Roy - 17 goals

If you're content with our number 1 Center getting 18 goals and 29 assists... then I don't know what to say.
It's something I will never forget... EVER... in my life.
That fateful day where an nhl hockey fan said that they were content with an 18 goal, 47 point number one center.
It's a day of infamy.

Also... how on earth do you only get 29 assists when the wingers around you scored more than 60 goals?
What is wrong with him?
You'd think that even if you were just in the way, you would have touched the puck before those 60 goals more than a pathetic 29 times.

Even if you were skating around and trying to avoid assists on purpose, you would probably still end up accidentally getting at least 29 assists on the 60 plus goals.

Old
11-07-2012, 02:55 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
If you're content with our number 1 Center getting 18 goals and 29 assists... then I don't know what to say.
That fateful day where an nhl hockey fan said that they were content with an 18 goal, 47 point number one center.
It's a day of infamy.

Also... how on earth do you only get 29 assists when the wingers around you scored more than 60 goals?
What is wrong with him?
You'd think that even if you were just in the way, you would have touched the puck before those 60 goals more than a pathetic 29 times.

Even if you were skating around and trying to avoid assists on purpose, you would probably still end up accidentally getting at least 29 assists on the 60 plus goals.
See other thread for response. Besides, you didn't say anything about points, but only mentioned the "measly 18 goals" as if that was a measure of something.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 07:47 AM
ALine

Quote:
It's a day of infamy.

What is wrong with him?

Exept he DIDN'T say he was content, just pointing out how idiodic your argument has become.

Bozak does his job adequetely. Not a number one, but certainly not an AHLer as you suggest. Why are you getting so hung up on Bozak and his 18 goals, a pretty respectable tally.

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 07:52 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
It's a day of infamy.

What is wrong with him?

I can't imagine any Leaf fan being content with Bozak in that role. Maybe you can point out who these fans are.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 08:13 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I feel very confidant those will never happen.
Our confidence won't change anything.

Islanders and Coyotes both have a tonne of cap space and with the new CBA might be in a very good position to take the plunge. More revenue sharing, and lower cap hit, with new owner/arena deal.

Minnie pulling in two of the biggest names in years wasn't expected either.

Being the richest team in the league doesn't mean a whole lot when you can't use that clout. Leafs are just a cash cow for the league, not for the Leafs.

On Lupul.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=353098

Quote:
"I think definitely I have a lot to prove to a lot of people now," Lupul told the CANADIAN PRESS. "The Anaheim Ducks kind of just let me go after 20 games. I don't know if it's injury-related or what it is. But I have a lot to prove to myself and to the team that just let me go and, first and foremost, to the new organization and my new teammates.
http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2011/1...-Randy-Carlyle

Quote:
Recently, Joffrey Lupul spoke out against his former coach with some unsavory words. Many saw it as bitter spewed commentary by the two-time former Duck who is looking fabulous in his new home in Toronto. Quite honestly, I don't give a tiny rats-ass about what Lupul is doing in Toronto. I can't begin to waste energy hating on a trade that is said and done, especially when the team I'm rooting for looks so terribly awful. I don't have time for bitter, I'm too busy being pissed off. But that's what this is all about, right? How bitter and upset Lupul is because he had to move away from sunny Southern California to cold Toronto Canada. So take his harsh commentary on Carlyle as you wish, but I read it as a glorious and simple "point to the argument". Randy Carlyle is a jerk...and I'm paraphrasing that nicely.
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/11/26...ind-with-ducks

Quote:
To say Lupul has zero feeling of bitterness toward the Ducks would be wrong. He had serious back trouble when he was with the Ducks the past two seasons, and remains perturbed the Ducks traded him not long after he returned to the lineup a year ago.

Does he have a chip on his shoulder?

A little bit, Lupul, who was drafted seventh overall by the Ducks in 2002, said. I think I let it be known last year I was not happy with how quickly I was let go after coming back from an injury. Now that I think about it, thats the way things go. They thought they had guys in the room who could do a better job than I did, and the move has turned out great for me.

Though it may have washed away somewhat, there remains some resentment toward Ducks coach Randy Carlyle.

I know the opportunity Im getting in Toronto, I never would have had in Anaheim, Lupul said. Randy Carlyle just did not see me as that type of player.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:32 AM
chilfactor

I'm not responding to anyone in particular but the problem with Bozak to me is, he's not a top 6 player, and he gets pushed around too easily to be in the bottom 6. He's not a bad player at all, he actually has a lot of skill. I just think he could be replaced easily by one of the Marlies or someone bigger/cheaper

chilfactor is offline   Reply With Quote