HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 4.0 - The "I like it like That" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2012, 07:28 AM
poetryinmotion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
You forgot Colby Amrstrong!!! To me Leblanc should play in Hamilton this year and start the 2013-2014 NHL season in MTL.

If Galchenyuk make the team this year i would like to see thoses lines

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Desharnais-Cole
Bourque-Eller-Armstrong
Prust-White-Moen
/Noke
Not bad and I see where you're coming from with that lineup as Gally could be a more skilled Pacioretty on the wings if he adjusts well enough and it could recreate that line in a sense, but there is one small problem that I have with that and it's Desharnais as his center. He should only be playing wing if his center is either Eller or Plekanec, I'd have DD as his winger and give him the opportunity to develop at his natural position if they were on the same line together.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Vi Nc E x13x

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Not bad and I see where you're coming from with that lineup as Gally could be a more skilled Pacioretty on the wings if he adjusts well enough and it could recreate that line in a sense, but there is one small problem that I have with that and it's Desharnais as his center. He should only be playing wing if his center is either Eller or Plekanec, I'd have DD as his winger and give him the opportunity to develop at his natural position if they were on the same line together.
DD has earned his center position ... Until someone out plays him for center that is his position.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Beendair Donedat

In my opinion, I think Galchenyuk should finish the season in the OHL and play a season as a first line center in the AHL. Gives him the opportunity to play a year as a "pro", gives him a ton of ice time, and gives him a season of preparation before he's in the fishbowl. I can't stress enough we have to bring this young talented core along slowly and surely... Like the old Habs farm team.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
In my opinion, I think Galchenyuk should finish the season in the OHL and play a season as a first line center in the AHL. Gives him the opportunity to play a year as a "pro", gives him a ton of ice time, and gives him a season of preparation before he's in the fishbowl. I can't stress enough we have to bring this young talented core along slowly and surely... Like the old Habs farm team.
Agreed. See Ryan Johansen... yes, I know, Columbus sucks, but there's no sense to rush Galchenyuk because of a good start to the season. Let him dominate and lead.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Tim Wallach

Don't forget though that unless the CBA changes the rule, Galchenyuk can only play in Montreal or Sarnia next year. The AHL isn't an option.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

The other thing to consider is if Gally is actually learning anything in the OHL at this point. Lately he's shown what he's capable of, and that's being the best player on the ice game in and game out. If there isn't anything left to learn in the OHL, then management should move him along to the next stage.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:17 AM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning View Post
Altough I don't agree Galchenyuk shoud crack the lineup this year, (Let him tear it up in juniors), let's imagine he did. Wouldn't this line make more sense:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Galchenyuk - Pleks - Gionta
Bourque - Eller - Leblanc
Prust - White - Moen

Keeping our no1 line intact seems safer. Having Gally playing with Pleks, still our best defensive center, would help with with his defensive short commings. Combined with a great leader and captain, who can score still score goals, seems like good match.
Or we could simply try him on the third with PP time and have him work up.

After the outstanding last season the first line had, breaking them up seems like a risky proposition. Gally on the second would certainly aliviate some of the pressure asked of a first line player.
Good stuff. I'd have :

Galchenyuk - Pleks - Gionta
Bourque - Eller - Armstrong
Prust - Gomez - Moen

White will find ice time during the season because of injuries.

I feel we should play Gomez on our 4th line. He could make our bottom six grinders produce.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
The other thing to consider is if Gally is actually learning anything in the OHL at this point. Lately he's shown what he's capable of, and that's being the best player on the ice game in and game out. If there isn't anything left to learn in the OHL, then management should move him along to the next stage.
The second half of the junior season is the real test. That's when rookies see ice time diminish and the vets get checking harder. Space becomes harder to fight for and the grind of 68 games, plus playoffs starts to take its toll.

I believe Gally still has plenty to learn and prove by getting his team to the playoffs and trying to accomplish more when he's a marked man in extremely meaningful games. I see no downside to leaving him there all year.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Then he's not playing in the NHL until 2015-16 season.

Are you really ready to wait that long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Hmmm, why not try Gally on Ellers wing off the bat?
I want Galchenyuk to play with at least 1 quality veteran on his line and a top 6 role. Most likely won't be the case on the Eller line.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:49 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
I feel we should play Gomez on our 4th line. He could make our bottom six grinders produce.
I get your intent but at this point I don't think Gomez can make anyone produce.

A slight modification of your lineup that might be worth trying (especially as the season starts) :

Bourque - Pleks - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Eller - Armstrong
Prust - Gomez - Moen

Have Eller and Galchenyuk on some sort of kid line together with Armstrong who's probably a good veteran to have on such a line since he can skate, defend his teammates and has some ability to finish good plays (as evidenced by his seasons playing with Crosby). This way Galchy can be sheltered a bit and get easier opposition while giving Eller a talented player to play with, for once. Its not impossible that Eller-Galchenyuk could end up playing together in the future, as well.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

^

Then he should stay in Sarnia. I don't think that would be the best thing for him for this season to be playing in a 3rd line role when he still has much to accomplish in the OHL from a team perspective. Not too mention you are using up his first year of his ELC for 50-60 games.

He should only stay in MTL in a 2012-13 season if he's a clear top 6 forward.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:06 AM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
^

Then he should stay in Sarnia. I don't think that would be the best thing for him for this season to be playing in a 3rd line role when he still has much to accomplish in the OHL from a team perspective. Not too mention you are using up his first year of his ELC for 50-60 games.

He should only stay in MTL in a 2012-13 season if he's a clear top 6 forward.
Agreed....If they bring Gally this seson, they better play him in the top 6!

Old
11-07-2012, 09:09 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

To Marc -

I really don't think he should stay another year in Sarnia no matter what (but I wouldn't mind if he stayed there for the rest of the season).

Lineups change often, he might start the season on the third line (which isn't dramatic, he'd still play a good 15min game and should get PP time) and get promoted to top6 role later. I think its fine as long as he doesn't end up playing wing to Gomez on the fourth line with Mike Blunden and occasionally one of Nokelainen or Geoffrion.

Of course it depends what the coach expect of his lines. If Therrien wants the third line to be a pure checking line then I agree Galchenyuk should not get near it.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:16 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Of course it depends what the coach expect of his lines. If Therrien wants the third line to be a pure checking line then I agree Galchenyuk should not get near it.
I'm expecting that to be the case, Therrien has always used the top6-checking-grinder lines format. But let's not forget that Staal had a monster rookie season under him.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Ginu

If Galchenyuk makes the team and we insulate him on the wing,

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Cole
Bourque-Eller-Armstrong
Prust-White-Moen

What it will be

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gionta
Bourque-Eller-Armstrong
Prust-White-Moen

because Desharnais has to be insulated with two big wingers.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:30 AM
domdo345

We're at the point where another season in the CHL won't really help him, and the AHL is not a possibility. If there's ever a season this year, it will really indicate what we're gonna do with gally. A poor season from a few players with a bad result and we can shoot him right in the top 6 for next season. The team might not be great but he'll be getting quality minutes. On the other hand, if the team plays great and has a good result, I'd see him on the 3rd line. He'd get sheltered minutes and would develop in a winning group. Both situation are a win/win in my eyes but I'd prefer option 2.

The truth is as much we like to predict the future, GM's and hockey operators really take decisions when the time come. This business is much more of a day to day basis than long term plans. Bergevin probably do not know what will happens with Gally because everything depends on everything. So many factors can weight in the balance.

edit: the play of the top 3 centers in this/next season will also indicate if he'll play center right away or not.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Moneyman2k6

Quote:
I get your intent but at this point I don't think Gomez can make anyone produce.

A slight modification of your lineup that might be worth trying (especially as the season starts) :

Bourque - Pleks - Gionta
Prust - Gomez - Moen

Have Eller and Galchenyuk on some sort of kid line together with Armstrong who's probably a good veteran to have on such a line since he can skate, defend his teammates and has some ability to finish good plays (as evidenced by his seasons playing with Crosby). This way Galchy can be sheltered a bit and get easier opposition while giving Eller a talented player to play with, for once. Its not impossible that Eller-Galchenyuk could end up playing together in the future, as well.
I think thats not a bad idea because the period Eller played at his best was when he played with kostitsyn and we all Know kostitsyn had sicks hands, sick shot etc.. as it is for gally . I dont want to compare Galchenyuk to kostitsyn, But he does remind me a bit of kostitsyn at his first year with more consistancy, more heart, caracter... and also more speed. Like this the kid will have less pressure and play against easier opponents. Im not sure but i think Tyler Seguin started the NHL in the 3rd line also... so it might not be a bad idea.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Andy

Quote:

Bourque - Pleks - Gionta
Prust - Gomez - Moen

i dont like that lineup. Once again we've put all put all our eggs in one basket. We need to distribute size throughout the lineup. I don't like the idea of Gionta and Plekanec paired together and I don't like the idea or Bourque getting Plekanec's matchups. The Pacioretty line needs to be split or we will end up with no secondary scoring like last year. I'd also prefer Galchenyuk with better scoring options and not be stuck with Armstrong. He should be given the tools to succeed from the get go and actually get some scorers on his wing.

It's great that Pacioretty's line produces last season, but FFS, we finished ****ing last place and a big reason why was because lacked secondary scoring all year round (plus the lack of quality D-men). I really don't want to see the same crap happen this season. Early on in the season the lines should experimented with and if nothing works, then you can put the line back together. I don't another situation again with every line being matched and matched every second game expect one, while losing games and ending up in last place.

Last edited by Andy: 11-07-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old
11-07-2012, 11:08 AM
shutehinside

When Gally comes up, I'd hope not to play him on the wing but at his natural centre position.

Shifting from centre to wing did nothing to Eller but be a bigger cause of concern. if he's not ready to jump into the NHL as a centre, he probably shouldn't be in the NHL. Put him on the 3rd line with capable wingers and give him the opportunity to work his way up the lineup while playing against bottom lines of opposing teams.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
He was arguably not even the best forward on that stacked Colorado team either. Forsberg's skillset isn't even in the same stratosphere as Mario Lemieux.

Great player, a Top 5 forward of his era, but he also didn't contend with a prime Lemieux/Gretzky/Yzerman. Jagr is hands down the best forward of the Forsberg era, its really not even close.

I wouldn't say he's overrated, but I don't think he's as underrated as some like to think either.

If Galchenyuk can be as good as Forsberg, we probably got the best player in the draft though. I find the comparison somewhat apt based on their build and the way they handle the puck, but like others have said Forsberg had the whole Ovechkin plow-through people thing going. I think Gally will prove to be a better goal scorer at the NHL level.
Ya, because the other forward was Sakic. Other than Joe, there's no one else. However, people only say that because Forsberg was limited to just a bit over 700 reg.season games. Sakic played just under 1400, almost double the amount.
But just so you know, Forsberg career scoring pace was higher than Sakic's, for both regular season and playoffs.
I was a Nordiques fan because of Joe Sakic, he is my all time favorite player. The way he skated and released his shot was something I always tried to replicate. He was the leader of that team, but Forsberg was better. Sakic could not dangle around 5 players like they were pee-wee kids, and then score.
Forsberg did things very few other NHLers could do.

Lemieux is the only player that is on another planet. You can put Gretzky there as well. But those guys played in different eras. No way Gretzky gets 200pts in today's NHL, or the one Forsberg played in either.

Forsberg and Jagr were very similar players, with similar hands and shots, except I give the edge to Forsberg because of his defensive skill and physicality. Really, if Forsberg was healthier, this wouldn't even be a discussion.

The fact you're saying the things you show that he's indeed underrated.
If Gally becomes as good as Forsberg, he not only will be the best player from the draft, he'll be the best player in the NHL.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
When Gally comes up, I'd hope not to play him on the wing but at his natural centre position.

Shifting from centre to wing did nothing to Eller but be a bigger cause of concern. if he's not ready to jump into the NHL as a centre, he probably shouldn't be in the NHL. Put him on the 3rd line with capable wingers and give him the opportunity to work his way up the lineup while playing against bottom lines of opposing teams.
He has been playing on the wing just as much as he has center so far this year in Sarnia it seems..

Anyone know the reasoning behind that?

Old
11-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
He has been playing on the wing just as much as he has center so far this year in Sarnia it seems..

Anyone know the reasoning behind that?
Long story short, the Sarnia coach seems to be in love with the idea of having a ''super line'' with his 3 veteran top 6 forwards playing together. Charlie Sarault is one of those 3 forwards and he's really only a center. He's also really good on faceoffs, hence he plays center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
i dont like that lineup. Once again we've put all put all our eggs in one basket.
Be prepared to be very aggravated because in every interview MT has made it clear he's not breaking up that top line to start.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Long story short, the Sarnia coach seems to be in love with the idea of having a ''super line'' with his 3 veteran top 6 forwards playing together. Charlie Sarault is one of those 3 forwards and he's really only a center. He's also really good on faceoffs, hence he plays center.

Be prepared to be very aggravated because in every interview MT has made it clear he's not breaking up that top line to start.
I'm not surprised. Therrien is a crappy coach. He's only the coach because there were no other veteren coaching options better than him who were french.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:43 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
I'm not surprised. Therrien is a crappy coach. He's only the coach because there were no other veteren coaching options better than him who were french.
Now now... what dose that have to do with Gally anyway. He will succeed despite any 'bad' coach, hence Sarnia.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:44 AM
EveryDay

Quote:
I don't agree with Therrien at all but how can you split one of the top 10 lines in the NHL last year? I would prefer give Plekanec Cole or Patches but if Gally can be on that 2nd line then i'm fine with it.

Closed Thread