HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Currently,what's the Oilers biggest need?

Old
11-07-2012, 09:32 AM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Short term: A top 4 d-man. Bouwmeester would fit this nicely assuming the price is right. With the addition of Schultz and development of Klefbom/Marincin, I like our defense long term.

Long term: A 2C with size, skill, and grit. Hopefully this can be addressed in the 2013 draft.

Unknown: Goaltending. Dubnyk could already be the guy. Only time will tell. It would be nice to bring in another young guy to compete with him over the next couple of years. If we get lucky Roy and/or Bunz can fill that role in the not too distant future.
Stop swearing. No Bouw.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:38 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Still ,these defensemen aren't projected to be top line material.
Might want to check the scouting reports again. Klefbom is pegged as a potential top pair guy. Not sure fire, but to write him off as a depth d-man considering the progress he made last year would be foolish.

To answer the question, immediate help, most pressing need is a number one d-man, but considering prospect depth, we absolutely need a bigger center with some offense. I'm hoping Tyler Pitlick's development takes off, but if that fails, we have no other options.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:47 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Might want to check the scouting reports again. Klefbom is pegged as a potential top pair guy. Not sure fire, but to write him off as a depth d-man considering the progress he made last year would be foolish.

To answer the question, immediate help, most pressing need is a number one d-man, but considering prospect depth, we absolutely need a bigger center with some offense. I'm hoping Tyler Pitlick's development takes off, but if that fails, we have no other options.

Can you post a site that says he's got top line potential?Every site that I've read says his career potential is only top 4.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:47 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
I don't understand why we would need a top 4 defenseman.It's like we have plenty of top 4 defensemen, but a lack of defensemen that can play on the first pairing.
Schultz doesn't have top pairing potential? Klefbom?

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:50 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Schultz doesn't have top pairing potential? Klefbom?

None of the sites I've read say their potentials are top pairing.If you have a site that says different may you post it?

Old
11-07-2012, 09:51 AM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1159
An honest owner.

KenLinsemanFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:52 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Can you post a site that says he's got top line potential?Every site that I've read says his career potential is only top 4.
Its not my job to read scouting reports for you.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:54 AM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Quote:
None of the sites I've read say their potentials are top pairing.If you have a site that says different may you post it?
Watch them play and make an educated guess.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:54 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Its not my job to read scouting reports for you.
So top 4 potential automatically means top 2 to you?

Old
11-07-2012, 09:57 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Do you watch the games? I would bet that i've seen Schultz play way more than you have.

I like to judge for myself what the potential of a player is and i've seen a bunch of Schultz's college games and a bunch of his AHL games now and there is nothing that i have seen from him that leads me to believe that he doesn't have the ability to be a top pairing guy.
Hell, from what i've seen, i'm wondering if i may have underestimated him by saying that he just has top pairing potential. He could possibly be a #1 guy with the abilities that he has.
FTR, Schultz is universally listed as one of the top prospects outside of the NHL so i would say that a lot of these sites list him as a potential top pairing defenseman.

Klefbom is a longer shot and it's more likely that he'll be a 2nd pairing guy at his peak but he certainly has the ability to be more if all goes well with him.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:57 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Watch them play and make an educated guess.
Not all players can actually transition their game into the NHL.

Many Oilerfans thought MPS was going to be great and now he looks to be a bust.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:59 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Scoring at a 1.5 point per game pace while playing a solid defensive game in your first 10 AHL games means you have first pairing potential, regardless of what a website says.

Klefbom is big, strong, and fast. Since his draft year he has been a WJC tournament allstar and played top pairing minutes in the SEL. It isn't unreasonable to project him as a #2 guy.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:01 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:

MPS is going to be, at worst, a very solid 3rd line NHL winger and PK man. Not all players drafted in the first round are offensive stars.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:03 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Scoring at a 1.5 point per game pace while playing a solid defensive game in your first 10 AHL games means you have first pairing potential, regardless of what a website says.

Klefbom is big, strong, and fast. Since his draft year he has been a WJC tournament allstar and played top pairing minutes in the SEL. It isn't unreasonable to project him as a #2 guy.

Why then are Oilerfans the only ones saying these players have top 2 potential and rest of the posters on the mainboard will say the Oilers have a weak defence going forward?

Old
11-07-2012, 10:06 AM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Why then are Oilerfans the only ones saying these players have top 2 potential and rest of the posters on the mainboard will say the Oilers have a weak defence going forward?
If fans of other teams are saying this on a hockey message board, then it must be true.

KenLinsemanFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:06 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

an arena

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:08 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Ignorance? How familiar are you with Detroit's defensive prospects?

I think most people on the main board who have been following the AHL this season would agree that Schultz has first pairing potential.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:09 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLinsemanFanClub View Post
If fans of other teams are saying this on a hockey message board, then it must be true.
Many posters laughed at how they think that we think we've got a good defense going forward.

One poster said that Oilerfans are clearly biased and are overrating their defencemen going forward.

Last edited by oilersfan11: 11-07-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old
11-07-2012, 10:26 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
So top 4 potential automatically means top 2 to you?
Where did I say that? Watch, read reports, decide for yourself. Plus, top 4 means anywhere from 1 - 4 on the depth chart, so even if you are going by the reports you read (probably last on draft day), that still does give them top 4 potential.

Quote:

How does Pajaarvi look like a bust? At absolute worst, he had a sophomore slump who looked pretty good in the AHL after getting sent down last year.

Quote:
You should know by now that the main board hates Oiler prospects in general. As soon as we won the draft lottery last year, Yakupov went from being the best draft pick since Stamkos to being an average number one with a significant chance of busting (you should remember the same argument with RHN and Hall).

You are especially wrong on Schultz. Nobody says he is a top two potential defenseman? How about his former coach who said he's better than Jake Gardiner, who is already a very good #3. Or, you know, the dozens of writers who have said he'll probably come in as a good top pair guy since his amazing start in OKC.

Quote:
Many posters laughed at how they think that we think we've got a good defense going forward.

One poster said that Oilerfans are clearly biased and are overrating their defenceman going forward.
As I already showed, main board posters know little about other teams prospects in general.

I know some posters here like to be doomsdayers and naysayers, but lets not make things up.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:31 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Top 3 Needs:

1. a #1 Dman

2. a bonafide #1 goalie

3. Size/Grit in top 6

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:39 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Where did I say that? Watch, read reports, decide for yourself. Plus, top 4 means anywhere from 1 - 4 on the depth chart, so even if you are going by the reports you read (probably last on draft day), that still does give them top 4 potential.

How does Pajaarvi look like a bust? At absolute worst, he had a sophomore slump who looked pretty good in the AHL after getting sent down last year.

You should know by now that the main board hates Oiler prospects in general. As soon as we won the draft lottery last year, Yakupov went from being the best draft pick since Stamkos to being an average number one with a significant chance of busting (you should remember the same argument with RHN and Hall).

You are especially wrong on Schultz. Nobody says he is a top two potential defenseman? How about his former coach who said he's better than Jake Gardiner, who is already a very good #3. Or, you know, the dozens of writers who have said he'll probably come in as a good top pair guy since his amazing start in OKC.

As I already showed, main board posters know little about other teams prospects in general.

I know some posters here like to be doomsdayers and naysayers, but lets not make things up.

I ain't making anything up .

One poster even posted this

Klefbom=top 4 defenseman

but in the mind of a Oilersfan

Klefbom=Lidstrom

Old
11-07-2012, 10:41 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

This team needs an actual number 1 center. RNH shouldn't be it at this point in time. Considering his size and the fact that he's going to be facing teams number 1-2 defenseman I think its a bad idea.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Really ? I think we need a whole new bottom 6 that hits everything that moves

Oilin Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:49 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
I ain't making anything up .

One poster even posted this

Klefbom=top 4 defenseman

but in the mind of a Oilersfan

Klefbom=Lidstrom
One poster posted it so it must be true. I've never seen anyone claim Klefbom to be anything near Lidstrom.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:02 AM
bsmith14

1. Top pairing defenseman with 2-way skills
2. Bonafide #1 goalie
3. Big #2 center with skill/tenacity
4. Size, grit in the bottom 6
5. NHL season to prove ourselves

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote