HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part VI: The "What Comes Before Square One?" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2012, 08:18 AM
mschmidt64

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdichado62 View Post
yeah it was cancelled last Friday.
Dumb.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

I get the feeling that the make whole is more an issue for the owners now than the players. If the owners don't all agree then we could be headed back a bit. You would hope that the league has something in mind that ALL the owners are behind, but if there are enough (only 8 are needed right?) they could continue the lock-out.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
Dumb.
Dont you think paying the Big House in Michigan hundreds of thousands of dollars would have been dumber with the season in jeopardy?

Old
11-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

No earlier than 1pm.

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Told no earlier than 1 pm ET for talks today, still no official time finalized yet though. Again will be secret location.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:08 AM
mschmidt64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Dont you think paying the Big House in Michigan hundreds of thousands of dollars would have been dumber with the season in jeopardy?
Yeah, I guess.

I think they'll get a deal done though.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschmidt64 View Post
Yeah, I guess.

I think they'll get a deal done though.
The Leafs, Wings and the league didn't want to play it without the right feel... they thought there would be animosity, lack of interest (to a degree) and that it would be tainted.

It's cancelled until next season when HBO, the sponsors and the animosity between the players, the league and the fans is all back to normal... hopefully.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:10 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

"@RenLavoieRDS: 1 pm start, at least for now and it may change, for the NHL CBA talks, in a secret location."

Old
11-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Anyone else want to strangle Larry Brooks every time he tweets? It's like the NHLPA pays his salary.

I'm always compelled to tweet back at him to call him out on his BS even though I know he doesn't care.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:43 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Anyone else want to strangle Larry Brooks every time he tweets? It's like the NHLPA pays his salary.

I'm always compelled to tweet back at him to call him out on his BS even though I know he doesn't care.
Couldn't disagree more. It's no worse than players getting blame from fans for simply not caving.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Couldn't disagree more. It's no worse than players getting blame from fans for simply not caving.
Why does that excuse Brooks from being a cheerleader for the players?

Old
11-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Brooks is a "journalist", not a PR rep for the players. At least that's the theory. In reality, he does more PR work for the NHLPA than they do for themselves.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:00 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post

Yes. I love Larry for NYR news but he has gone completely off the rails in this lockout. Ridiculously biased "reporting".

11-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Yes. I love Larry for NYR news but he has gone completely off the rails in this lockout. Ridiculously biased "reporting".
He reports on the Rangers in a very similar way, to be honest.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:05 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
At least you know Walsh has a valid reason for saying what he does. I don't agree with what he says at all and think he's a complete ******* but I understand why. You'd think Brooks has a job with the PA.

11-07-2012, 11:06 AM
thesnake

I can understand not agreeing with him, but this sort of thing is exactly why I like Brooks.

Of all of the other NYR beat guys, he's the only one with any real opinion or any real connections (it seems). To me, the others just spit out what they have heard from people who do have some inside sources, and never even give their thoughts or formulate an idea of their own.

He actually has a perspective and gives an opinion. Like it or not, he's saying things that people can react to. The other beat guys are just stating the facts and add nothing to the analysis..

Old
11-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Levitate

Quote:
He was like that in 2004 as well. Probably in 94 too. He's obviously very very pro union and anti owner, so he has his side and his bias is clear.

But really if I was looking for unbiased and well presented reporting I wouldn't be reading the NY Post

Old
11-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
He was like that in 2004 as well. Probably in 94 too. He's obviously very very pro union and anti owner, so he has his side and his bias is clear.

But really if I was looking for unbiased and well presented reporting I wouldn't be reading the NY Post
Im surprised they let him write for the post with those ideas.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
He reports on the Rangers in a very similar way, to be honest.
Agreed, he's always biased towards the players against management, but most of the time this isn't an issue. There's no call for him to lambast management in the middle of a successful season.

He's a decent writer when he puts his mind to it, but he's getting out of control during this lockout. He was pretty bad last time too, but I think with Twitter it's just more in-your-face. I'd rather not unfollow him but I may just until the lockout is over.

Also, this whole "record revenues record revenues" rallying call by the players (and Larry) is getting old fast. Why hasn't anyone called them out on the fact that revenues do NOT equal profit, and the players are the ones making record salaries (which is all profit)? I'd love to see a breakdown of how much player salaries have gone up compared to actual profits since the last CBA was signed. Granted the teams are mostly privately held and getting those numbers is next to impossible.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Im surprised they let him write for the post with those ideas.
You must not read the Post much

Old
11-07-2012, 11:12 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:

Fair enough.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:17 AM
ltrangerfan

I look at it a bit differently.

In every PR battle, each side has their surrogates. Just think back to all the disinformation we were reading on the Nash situation. After reading a number of tweets from Brook's (for example) I view his opinion (during the lockout) as an advocate rather than a reporter. Does that mean what he reports is inaccurate? Not necessarily. Does that mean that he is being played at times? Certainly.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

He's very connected and he is a talented writer. I find myself reading him for the information, and ignoring his opinions the best I can.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The PA is still reluctant to move much on the contract stuff. The PA should give contract term limits. Not 5 years. 7 or 8 years. Elliotte Friedman wrote contracts are insured for just 7 years. Is 7 years really a problem? Those dummy contracts have to go.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The PA is still reluctant to move much on the contract stuff. The PA should give contract term limits. Not 5 years. 7 or 8 years. Elliotte Friedman wrote contracts are insured for just 7 years. Is 7 years really a problem? Those dummy contracts have to go.
My guess is both sides might be waiting for the other to budge first...I'm sure the PA doesn't want to be the first to move and lose ground, but they'll have to sort it out sooner or later

Old
11-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
My guess is both sides might be waiting for the other to budge first...I'm sure the PA doesn't want to be the first to move and lose ground, but they'll have to sort it out sooner or later
I kinda feel like UFA age and ELCs are something the owners asked for so they can "give back", but they will be firm on contract limits (not 5 years though).

The TSN article also mentions they asked for changes to arbitration, does anyone know what those are? I haven't heard anything of them.

Closed Thread