HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 4.0 - The "I like it like That" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
I don't agree with Therrien at all but how can you split one of the top 10 lines in the NHL last year?
Very easy. We had zero secondary scoring and we finished last place in the east. Very easy to split up a line with those two facts. If we don't split up Pacioretty and Cole, then it looks like we will once again not have much secondary scoring.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:52 AM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Very easy. We had zero secondary scoring and we finished last place in the east. Very easy to split up a line with those two facts. If we don't split up Pacioretty and Cole, then it looks like we will once again not have much secondary scoring.
But that's the goal no? i tough you were agreeing with us to get another top 5 picks next year?

Old
11-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
We're at the point where another season in the CHL won't really help him, and the AHL is not a possibility. If there's ever a season this year, it will really indicate what we're gonna do with gally. A poor season from a few players with a bad result and we can shoot him right in the top 6 for next season. The team might not be great but he'll be getting quality minutes. On the other hand, if the team plays great and has a good result, I'd see him on the 3rd line. He'd get sheltered minutes and would develop in a winning group. Both situation are a win/win in my eyes but I'd prefer option 2.

The truth is as much we like to predict the future, GM's and hockey operators really take decisions when the time come. This business is much more of a day to day basis than long term plans. Bergevin probably do not know what will happens with Gally because everything depends on everything. So many factors can weight in the balance.

edit: the play of the top 3 centers in this/next season will also indicate if he'll play center right away or not.
You might be right. This year he can play against the Scheifeles and Stromes of the OHL, next season they'll all be pro.

I still would prefer having Galchenyuk's ELC years be his 20-22 year old seasons. IMO his 19 year season in the NHL would be more about developing than contributing. I guess the Habs will probably have him on the big team anyway. But I'd love to see some out-of-the-box thinking and have him play a year in Europe to hone his game at a level that would challenge him, give him a different coaching perspective, but not eat a cheap contract year. And have Galchenyuk still participate in the WJC. Like the situation Yakupov has found himself in this year (only due to the lockout, I know, but it still might be good for him and the Oilers).

Old
11-07-2012, 12:01 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I don't like the idea of Gionta and Plekanec paired together and I don't like the idea or Bourque getting Plekanec's matchups.
Actually Gionta and Plekanec play very well together. Kostitsyn shared Plekanec's matchups in the past and that didn't work too bad. I don't think Bourque is worse than Kostitsyn in term of ''own zone'' play.

Old
11-07-2012, 12:02 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
He has been playing on the wing just as much as he has center so far this year in Sarnia it seems..

Anyone know the reasoning behind that?
Regardless of where his Junior coach is playing and for whatever reason he's on the wing right now, Montreal didn't draft him to be a winger. They drafted him to be a franchse centre so playing him on the wing for any length of time deosn't seem like a fruitful endeavour. He's a really talented kid and shouldn't take much time to get used to the NHL once he's ready. Until then, what's the hurry? It's not like we're in need of a player to take us over the top for a Cup run. We're still a bottom feeder team rigth now and rebuilding. I hate to say it, but it's true, as of now.

Old
11-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Actually Gionta and Plekanec play very well together. Kostitsyn shared Plekanec's matchups in the past and that didn't work too bad. I don't think Bourque is worse than Kostitsyn in term of ''own zone'' play.
Yes he is, much worse. AK improved a lot under Martin in his defensive abilities. Bourque is lost in his zone, completely.
Gionta should be delegated to the 3rd line, where he will dominate alongside Eller.

Old
11-07-2012, 12:33 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yes he is, much worse. AK improved a lot under Martin in his defensive abilities. Bourque is lost in his zone, completely.
Gionta should be delegated to the 3rd line, where he will dominate alongside Eller.
I agree but who would play with Plekanec if Bourque-Eller-Gionta are together?

Old
11-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
I agree but who would play with Plekanec if Bourque-Eller-Gionta are together?
If Galchenyuk is ready next season, then Pacioretty and Leblanc can easily play with Plekanec while Galchenyuk can have Cole and Desharnais flanked on the wings. Or if people are really that anal about not moving Desharnais away from centre, then Desharnais can be flanked by Galchenyuk and Cole. The offensive depth and size distrubution is much greater in this case then simply throwing all our eggs in one basket again.

Galchenyuk Desharnais Cole
Pacioretty Plekanec Leblanc
Bourque Eller Gionta

Or you can switch DD and Gally (though God-forbid you do such a thing on these boards, Desharnais has become a sacred cow)

Closed Thread