HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Currently,what's the Oilers biggest need?

Old
11-07-2012, 11:15 AM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
one poster posted it so it must be true. I've never seen anyone claim klefbom to be anything near lidstrom.
qft!!

KenLinsemanFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:17 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
I ain't making anything up .

One poster even posted this

Klefbom=top 4 defenseman

but in the mind of a Oilersfan

Klefbom=Lidstrom
Trying using that thing between your ears instead of relying on outdated scouting reports and posters on the HF main boards.

Last edited by nabob: 11-07-2012 at 03:36 PM.
nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:24 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

A #2 C to compliment RNH. (Think Stoll pre concussion)

A Jason Smith / Robyn Regher type Dman.
(Current Matt Greene)

A coach who has a clue, (hopefully Kruger proves he is that guy.)

Old
11-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Joe Hallenback

A big number 2 center that can hold the puck down low and contribute 50 points a year

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:44 AM
nsoilfan

i wrote down the players i thought the were expendable or ones that id like to trade.

Horcoff
Gags
Belanger
Hemsky

what i noticed was 3 of these players are centers.

i think our bigest weekess is Center.
the other scary part of this list is the players salarys!! for players that are expendable the cost over 13 mil for 4 players.

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:49 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

1) Bottom-6 forwards and Bottom-pairing defensemen with grit, tenacity, and sound defensive play

2) Top-2 defenseman(men)

3) 2nd line C with size and 2-way ability

4) More proven #1 goaltender

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:52 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT View Post
This team needs an actual number 1 center. RNH shouldn't be it at this point in time. Considering his size and the fact that he's going to be facing teams number 1-2 defenseman I think its a bad idea.
You really couldn't be any more wrong here.

The value of the experience he is gaining right now, while the team is bad anyway, is immeasurable.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
I'll go against the grain and say a #1C . To become a contender we need a veteran C with size\skill\leadership.
Someone like Lecavalier\Getzlaff\Marleau etc would fit the bill. Benn would be ideal.

Hall-xxxx-Eberle
xxx-Nuge-Yakupov

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Moose Coleman

If they can shift Hall to C without it adversely impacting his game, we could have our 2C problem sorted.

Seriously, I feel like some people think putting together a team is like building an IKEA bookshelf: miss a couple of pieces and it won't stand up. I think it's more about finding the pieces that fit with what you have than just finding the right "type" of player. Look at Belanger. Exactly the kind of player they needed for years and he was a bit of a flop and could be on his way out.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
A supporting cast with grit and defensive ability.
That would be huge and is necessary IMO. That said I think that we have bigger fish to fry as well.

Quote:
None of the sites I've read say their potentials are top pairing.If you have a site that says different may you post it?
Did any of these sites predict Schultz's AHL domination? From the first time that I saw him I said that he'd be a better version of Petry, better offensively, better defensively, just not as physical. He has top pairing upside, he does not lack hockey sense like Paajarvi does, nor does he have a limited toolbox.

Quote:
Not all players can actually transition their game into the NHL.

Many Oilerfans thought MPS was going to be great and now he looks to be a bust.
While Paajarvi could bust, watching the two of them play this year in the AHL it's pretty damn obvious who the better player is between the two of them.

Quote:
Many posters laughed at how they think that we think we've got a good defense going forward.

One poster said that Oilerfans are clearly biased and are overrating their defencemen going forward.
Many of them are bitter about being shunned by Schultz of July 1st, haven't heard of guys like Marincin, or haven't seen Klefbom but they are experts. They also say that Smid and Petry are horse meat, do you agree with them there?

From what I've seen we have one good bet for top pairing in Schultz, 1st/2nd pairing in Klefbom, and then you have Marincin who could be a 1st/2nd pairing guy if he has a good learning curve.

Quote:
I ain't making anything up .

One poster even posted this

Klefbom=top 4 defenseman

but in the mind of a Oilersfan

Klefbom=Lidstrom
Have you ever heard of this thing called trolling/baiting? We have Swedish fans that have said that Klefbom > Brodin, now go and ask Wild fans what they think of Brodin and then come back here and tell me what kind of value Klefbom should have. Also we have a Rangers fan that says that he'd rather have Schultz than Del Zotto, Schultz' coach said that he likes Schultz' play better than Gardiner's, etc. But I guess you should just listen to other teams fans that are either ignorant or have an axe to grind. Hell another teams fan the other day compared Schultz to Zubov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
I'll go against the grain and say a #1C . To become a contender we need a veteran C with size\skill\leadership.
Someone like Lecavalier\Getzlaff\Marleau etc would fit the bill. Benn would be ideal.

Hall-xxxx-Eberle
xxx-Nuge-Yakupov
Yeah that Toews guy was a grizzled vet when Chicago won the cup This team is at least a couple of years from cup contention unless we add guys like Stamkos, Crosby, and Weber this offseason. That said I agree on Benn, his addition would be insane.

11-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
If they can shift Hall to C without it adversely impacting his game, we could have our 2C problem sorted.

Seriously, I feel like some people think putting together a team is like building an IKEA bookshelf: miss a couple of pieces and it won't stand up. I think it's more about finding the pieces that fit with what you have than just finding the right "type" of player. Look at Belanger. Exactly the kind of player they needed for years and he was a bit of a flop and could be on his way out.
Even if we move Hall to C we need more grit. Sutton maybe retiring, Eager plays gritty when he feels like it, we need more in your face tenacious players. Having a 3rd line anchored by Horcoff and Smyth doesn't do that.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
That would be huge and is necessary IMO. That said I think that we have bigger fish to fry as well.

Yeah that Toews guy was a grizzled vet when Chicago won the cup This team is at least a couple of years from cup contention unless we add guys like Stamkos, Crosby, and Weber this offseason. That said I agree on Benn, his addition would be insane.
big difference between Toews and RNH.. Toews was a leader from start and has the ability to carry his team on his shoulder... RNH is a silent assasin and gets his points without being the go to person.
I'll use your example against yourself. CHI did not wait for a Stamkos\Crosby addition and won the cup while the core was still on ELC.

Adding someone like Marleau\Lecavalier would IMO fill the biggest hole on this team.

Old
11-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
big difference between Toews and RNH.. Toews was a leader from start and has the ability to carry his team on his shoulder... RNH is a silent assasin and gets his points without being the go to person.
I'll use your example against yourself. CHI did not wait for a Stamkos\Crosby addition and won the cup while the core was still on ELC.

Adding someone like Marleau\Lecavalier would IMO fill the biggest hole on this team.
Toews was also 4 years removed from the draft while this is RNH's 2nd season removed from the draft. Toews also had a supporting cast to die for and one that RNH and co. can only dream of at this point. Marleau/Lecavalier helps the team, but sure as hell doesn't win us a cup. Not to mention Lecavalier's contract or Marleau's playoff failures.

Toews 2 years removed from the draft: 64gp. 24-30-54
RNH 1 year removed from the draft: 62gp. 18-34-52

Old
11-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Even if we move Hall to C we need more grit. Sutton maybe retiring, Eager plays gritty when he feels like it, we need more in your face tenacious players. Having a 3rd line anchored by Horcoff and Smyth doesn't do that.
Adding more grit to the top 6 is worthwhile, but the bottom six isn't that important as long as they can handle the defensive responsibilities.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:11 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I honestly think the season has to start to answer that question. WE have canidates to fill all our needs.

Gagner could be a very good 2nd line C. Dubnyk could be a very good Goalie. Smid could be a very good shut down D man.

I think you have to wait and see which of these coulds end up being true and which end up not being and go from there.

Makes no sense to get a 2nd line C then watch Gags out preform him. makes no sense to get a goalie and realize dubs is a number 1#. ect. I think we at the moment really have to wait and see waht we have, re anylize after half a year.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I honestly think the season has to start to answer that question. WE have canidates to fill all our needs.

Gagner could be a very good 2nd line C. Dubnyk could be a very good Goalie. Smid could be a very good shut down D man.

I think you have to wait and see which of these coulds end up being true and which end up not being and go from there.

Makes no sense to get a 2nd line C then watch Gags out preform him. makes no sense to get a goalie and realize dubs is a number 1#. ect. I think we at the moment really have to wait and see waht we have, re anylize after half a year.
makes sense if we were only short 1 shutdown D.. After Smid who do we have who can play physical in the top 5? Petry\Whitny\Schultz\Justin sure wont be counted on for their physical domination. We need size on D. JBo to me is not the answer but we should not be "waiting and see'ing".

Old
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Adding more grit to the top 6 is worthwhile, but the bottom six isn't that important as long as they can handle the defensive responsibilities.
I couldn't disagree more. When other teams are running our players (even with legal hits) and their stars are left unscathed, sooner or later that is going to bite us in the ass.

Old
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
A big number 2 center that can hold the puck down low and contribute 50 points a year
Weber would be wonderful but in terms of what is realistic, I agree with this. The good news is that there are several of these potentially available in this draft.

As far as a top pairing dman is concerned one has to wait for the right opportunity. If the cap falls Edler probably becomes a UFA and not that many teams could afford him. THat might be a great opportunity to add an impact player without giving up a core asset.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Fourier

Quote:
makes sense if we were only short 1 shutdown D.. After Smid who do we have who can play physical in the top 5? Petry\Whitny\Schultz\Justin sure wont be counted on for their physical domination. We need size on D. JBo to me is not the answer but we should not be "waiting and see'ing".
If you want a guy to play 3rd pairing minutes with a bite you might get Murray out of San Jose. They could be up against it capwise and he might be a guy they would move cheaply. He can Pk and certainly can dish out the big hits.

That said , I am a little surprised that you include Petry in this given I know you are a fan. One of the big surprises from his season last year was his physical game. He is never going to be feared, but he did play with a fair bit of bite.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:50 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Petry Smid has the potential to be a very good first pair.

Shultz and Shultz could be very good 2nd pair.

Whitney and ? could fill out the top 6.

If Smid and petry can improve of where they were last year. I don't see a realy need on Defence. Call me crazy. If Smid doens't take a step forward, then I agree, we need some one in that slot well every one else can move down the chart.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:34 PM
kitchen44

These are the things I was hoping to see these off-season

1. A new capable coach- I think that Renney was responsible for alot of the disappointments last season like Eager, Belanger and Dubnyk. I think bringing in a new coach could really fill a lot of holes just by making these 3 guys play with confidence again, they definitely have the potential to be very effective.

2. Bring in Regher- We need a veteran who is tough and mean and capable of playing in our top 4. We lack a true tough competitor on the backend who can actually be relied upon to play a solid 20 min, not to mention a leader who has played in big games and knows what it takes to make it there.

3. Sign Tootoo- We need a player who can go out and be effective without scoring goals, we didn't have anyone who did that last year. We need a player who gives the team a spark, other than Jonesy and Hall we dont have anyone who goes out every night and sets the tempo high. That is the reason why we watched the team play like garbage almost every night Hall was injured because nobody else sets the bar and plays with some emotion. Imagine if we had a bottom 6 were guys like Tootoo and Eager went out and crashed and banged and played with a high level of energy and got the team engaged mentaly.

4. Development of Hartikinan- I don't think it is reasonable to expect management to acquire a Clowe/Lucic type player, but if Hartsie could be an effective high energy guy that plays with consistency and is capable of playing 30 games in the top 6, wile others are out with injury, and produce some offense in that role he could be highly effective.

Those were the bare minimum expectations I had for management if we were going to make the playoffs this year. We don't need to acquire things like a 1C or 1D, thats just to unrealistic, we just need to rise our overall team intensity and consistency level and continue too work around our core.

kitchen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Moneypuck

A No.1 center. Hopkins will eventually grow into this but he's probably 3-4 yrs away from being that. Gagner,Horcoff and Belanger are all definately bottom 6 material.

A No.1 defenceman. Best sit tight and grow their own. The price for a Shea Weber type is heavanly. I'd back up the truck of B level prospects and see if Gudbranson's available.

A No.1 goaltender.....nobody in the system or in sight. Best make a deal for a Holtby type and hope he continues to progress.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:15 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
IMO, right now, we NEED to acquire 2 things. We need a big, 2 way #2C like Hanzal, to replace Gags.

Our bottom 6 is less of an issue than people think imo. Our 4th line is just fine. 2 of our best PK guys on the team play on the 4th line. That's usually a good sign. Our 3rd line is our weakness. Smyth is the weak link that needs replacing. Horcoff is fine for now as a minute eating shutdown center and Jones does a good job being a chippy shutdown guy that cab score. The second thing we need is a guy like Clutterbuck who can run people over without being a liability.

People keep saying we need a #1 dman, but why can't we go with 6 #2-4 dmen like Vancouver? We have enough talent on the team and coming up for it to work just fine.

We MIGHT need a goalie, but why panic? Let Dubnyk take the reigns and if he sucks, and Bunz and Roy aren't ready/good enough, THEN get someone.

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:44 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypuck View Post
A No.1 center. Hopkins will eventually grow into this but he's probably 3-4 yrs away from being that. Gagner,Horcoff and Belanger are all definately bottom 6 material.

A No.1 defenceman. Best sit tight and grow their own. The price for a Shea Weber type is heavanly. I'd back up the truck of B level prospects and see if Gudbranson's available.

A No.1 goaltender.....nobody in the system or in sight. Best make a deal for a Holtby type and hope he continues to progress.
Your first and second points contradict each other. RNH is a #1C we don't need to wait for him to grow into that.

Why acquire a top level #1C and then trade for a prospect who struggled to survive in the NHL last season in Gudbranson who probably will top out as a #2-3 guy.

Your third point doesn't make sense either. Holtby is less proven than Dubnyk IMO. And his top potential is very questionable.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

We need:

1. Heath. We have some pretty good pieces that have suffered from injury for years now. If we did nothing but stay healthy and play to everyone's (even if limited) potential, we'd be a much improved team. We would also have increased trade value for some of them, which would allow us to make some moves. Either for a top 4 D or forward help.

2. Big #2 C. I still like Gagner, and I think he'll have a great career. But its less of a fit here as time goes by.

3. Better bottom 6 players. I still like Smytty in the 3rd LW spot. We're stuck with Horcoff, Jones is servicable. Everyone else can and should be upgraded.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote