HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Bob Ackles Memorial B.C. Lions Thread #10

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-04-2012, 05:47 PM
  #1
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,691
vCash: 50
Bob Ackles Memorial B.C. Lions Thread #10

Wally Buono has no regrets passing B.C. Lions coaching reins

For the first time in 40 years, GM looks comfortable at training camp — and we’re not talking jeans

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Wal...#ixzz1xie5XDtx

In addition, Jarious Jackson is gone and although Travis Lulay is supposed to get a few reps tonight, we should get a good look at backup QB Mike Reilly.

Also...

B.C. Lions veteran Paris Jackson reinvents his game, mindset and purpose

Hobbled by a knee injury and beaten out for his starter’s job, ‘kid from Vancouver’ determined to be role model for teammates and family

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/L...#ixzz1xieRCBf4

Update:

Geroy Simon becomes all-time leader in CFL reception yards on June 29 2012 against Winnipeg. Video courtesy of MAK.



Continue.

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 09:12 PM
  #2
Johnny LaRue
Registered User
 
Johnny LaRue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kudamatsu-shi, Japan
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,188
vCash: 200
I am excited about the prospect of our first back to back Grey Cups. That being said, the Lions and still very beatable. I don't think either Montreal or Calgary will be pushovers.

Johnny LaRue is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 09:24 PM
  #3
petrishriekandgo
Registered User
 
petrishriekandgo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
I am excited about the prospect of our first back to back Grey Cups. That being said, the Lions and still very beatable. I don't think either Montreal or Calgary will be pushovers.
Really... VERY beatable?

Come on now... Lions are the Class of the league and have been since game 6 last season. Only way they lose the Grey Cup is if one of Lulay/Harris/Bighill can't play and even THEN they probably have the depth to make up for it.

I'm not saying it will be a cake walk... but losing is in their hands, not any of the teams they could face.

petrishriekandgo is offline  
Old
11-04-2012, 09:27 PM
  #4
CCF23
Registered User
 
CCF23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Richmond, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
Really... VERY beatable?

Come on now... Lions are the Class of the league and have been since game 6 last season. Only way they lose the Grey Cup is if one of Lulay/Harris/Bighill can't play and even THEN they probably have the depth to make up for it.

I'm not saying it will be a cake walk... but losing is in their hands, not any of the teams they could face.
I'm not sure if I agree with this. The Lions offense has a lot of questions, the foremost being the health of Simon and Bruce. Even with them healthy, the offense has been inconsistent this season. I know we have a bunch of younger guys that have looked good, but in playoffs, you want and need the veteran guys.

I think the Lions are the deserving favourites to win the Grey Cup, but I don't think they're as far ahead of the other teams as you make it seem.

CCF23 is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 01:34 AM
  #5
Johnny LaRue
Registered User
 
Johnny LaRue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kudamatsu-shi, Japan
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,188
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
Really... VERY beatable?

Come on now... Lions are the Class of the league and have been since game 6 last season. Only way they lose the Grey Cup is if one of Lulay/Harris/Bighill can't play and even THEN they probably have the depth to make up for it.

I'm not saying it will be a cake walk... but losing is in their hands, not any of the teams they could face.
I think I overstated my point. The Lions are the best in the league and highly favoured to win, no doubt. However, even great teams can lose if they somehow don't come to play. Also, like mentioned above, how well have our offensive stars really recovered? I remember that Lulay looked merely all right last Grey Cup and it turned out he was playing with a pretty major injury. Seriously, who knows.

Also, I grow worried that they might enter the Western Final with a sense that the game is ITB before the kickoff.

Johnny LaRue is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 01:37 AM
  #6
CCF23
Registered User
 
CCF23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Richmond, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
I think I overstated my point. The Lions are the best in the league, no doubt. However, even great teams can lose if they somehow don't come to play.

I grow worried that they might enter the Western Final with a sense that the game is ITB before the kickoff.
Yeah, that's it. I don't really worry about the defense, but I worry about the offense having an off night and putting us in a position where we need to win 13-10 or something like that, especially with Simon and Bruce (and possibly Lulay still) battling injury.

CCF23 is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 02:07 AM
  #7
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,502
vCash: 1512
We also don't know how seriously injured Lulay may still be. He could get injured in the Western Final, and Reilly is forced to try and gut it to for us, with an already suspect offense without Bruce and Simon.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 11:09 AM
  #8
crazycanuck
Registered User
 
crazycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,134
vCash: 500
Lions are the favourites for the Grey Cup but to say they will have an easy road to a repeat is very bias and shortsighted.

Cgy - Tate is healthy now, they have found a new offensive threat in Price to go along with Lewis and Cornish.
Sask - Nothing about this team really stands out this year other than Corey Sheets but if they can stay within striking distance they can surprise.

Mtl - Anthony Calvillo, do I need to say anymore?
Tor - Grey Cup at home can be a big motivator and Ricky Ray is still a very good QB. Chad Owens can change the game with one play too.
Edm - Matt Nichols (if he starts) is a gamebreaker. JC Sherritt is a beast on the Defensive side.

crazycanuck is offline  
Old
11-05-2012, 12:22 PM
  #9
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Lions are the favourites for the Grey Cup but to say they will have an easy road to a repeat is very bias and shortsighted.

Cgy - Tate is healthy now, they have found a new offensive threat in Price to go along with Lewis and Cornish.
Sask - Nothing about this team really stands out this year other than Corey Sheets but if they can stay within striking distance they can surprise.

Mtl - Anthony Calvillo, do I need to say anymore?
Tor - Grey Cup at home can be a big motivator and Ricky Ray is still a very good QB. Chad Owens can change the game with one play too.
Edm - Matt Nichols (if he starts) is a gamebreaker. JC Sherritt is a beast on the Defensive side.
Other than Montreal and Calvillo I think that the only way we lose is if we beat ourselves or have injuries to key guys like Lulay. That's not saying that Calgary or Sask can't beat us but I think we need a real subpar game for them to do it. Our defence is just too good, IMO and Lulay and Calvillo are just head and shoulders above the other quarterbacks. Ray is a step below those two and capable of a great game but the Argos just don't impress me at all as a team.

vanwest is online now  
Old
11-05-2012, 06:38 PM
  #10
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,502
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Other than Montreal and Calvillo I think that the only way we lose is if we beat ourselves or have injuries to key guys like Lulay. That's not saying that Calgary or Sask can't beat us but I think we need a real subpar game for them to do it. Our defence is just too good, IMO and Lulay and Calvillo are just head and shoulders above the other quarterbacks. Ray is a step below those two and capable of a great game but the Argos just don't impress me at all as a team.
I agree. Only way we really lose is if we beat ourselves. The other playoff teams have lots of question marks, except for Montreal, IMO. I truly believe BC and Montreal are in their own class of the CFL right now.

PG Canuck is offline  
Old
11-06-2012, 05:34 PM
  #11
Rocko604
Registered User
 
Rocko604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Drew Tate to get the start for Calgary on Sunday.

Rocko604 is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 11:11 AM
  #12
crazycanuck
Registered User
 
crazycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,134
vCash: 500
CFL Award Finalists announced
PLAYER
Jon Cornish (CGY), Chad Owens (TOR)

DEFENSIVE PLAYER
JC Sherritt (EDM), Shea Emry (MTL)

CANADIAN PLAYER
Jon Cornish (CGY), Shea Emry (MTL)

SPECIAL TEAMS
Tim Brown (BC), Chris Williams (HAM)

ROOKIE
Jabar Westerman (BC), Chris Matthews (WPG)

OFFENSIVE LINEMAN
Jovan Olafioye (BC), Josh Bourke (MTL)

crazycanuck is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 11:23 AM
  #13
Rocko604
Registered User
 
Rocko604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
CFL Award Finalists announced
PLAYER
Jon Cornish (CGY), Chad Owens (TOR)

DEFENSIVE PLAYER
JC Sherritt (EDM), Shea Emry (MTL)

CANADIAN PLAYER
Jon Cornish (CGY), Shea Emry (MTL)

SPECIAL TEAMS
Tim Brown (BC), Chris Williams (HAM)

ROOKIE
Jabar Westerman (BC), Chris Matthews (WPG)

OFFENSIVE LINEMAN
Jovan Olafioye (BC), Josh Bourke (MTL)
They really need to make a rule where if you're up for MOP, you're disqualified from MOC. For Harris not be acknowledged for the year he had is complete ********.

I hope we play Calgary.

Rocko604 is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 11:24 AM
  #14
gobi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Paradise, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
No Andrew Harris?

gobi is online now  
Old
11-07-2012, 11:30 AM
  #15
crazycanuck
Registered User
 
crazycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
They really need to make a rule where if you're up for MOP, you're disqualified from MOC. For Harris not be acknowledged for the year he had is complete ********.

I hope we play Calgary.
Whats wrong with a Canadian getting nominated for both? This is first time since 1995 that it's happened. If anything needs to change it's once the team nominees are in it's a free for all, no need for a west and east nominee. The 3 best Canadians in the CFL this year have been in the West (Cornish, Harrish, Sherritt).

crazycanuck is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 11:39 AM
  #16
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User
 
WinterEmpire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 500
Andrew Harris getting majorly disrespected. He's a better all-around player than Cornish.

WinterEmpire is online now  
Old
11-07-2012, 11:40 AM
  #17
Rocko604
Registered User
 
Rocko604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Whats wrong with a Canadian getting nominated for both? This is first time since 1995 that it's happened. If anything needs to change it's once the team nominees are in it's a free for all, no need for a west and east nominee. The 3 best Canadians in the CFL this year have been in the West (Cornish, Harrish, Sherritt).
Sherritt is American.

But I take back what I said, simply because if that rule were the case, a Canadian could lose MOP, and not be up for MOC at all. Having said that, Harris is the better Canadian. Cornish only got the nod because of the record.

Rocko604 is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 11:53 AM
  #18
crazycanuck
Registered User
 
crazycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
Andrew Harris getting majorly disrespected. He's a better all-around player than Cornish.
Harris had only 36 more yards from scrimmage than Cornish this year. Not getting the MOC nomination because Cornish got does not have anything to do with disrespect. The media just believed that Cornish's season was better.

crazycanuck is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 11:57 AM
  #19
crazycanuck
Registered User
 
crazycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Sherritt is American.

But I take back what I said, simply because if that rule were the case, a Canadian could lose MOP, and not be up for MOC at all. Having said that, Harris is the better Canadian. Cornish only got the nod because of the record.
Weird for some reason I thought Sherrit was Canadian. In any case the top 2 Canadians are Cornish and Harris this year.

See my post above. Harris' yards from scrimmage aren't that much better. You can make a strong case for both. To say Cornish only got it because he broke the record is overlooking how good a season Cornish had.

crazycanuck is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 12:03 PM
  #20
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,513
vCash: 500
They should skip the East West thing and just pick the two best players. Harris and Cornish. Arguably Bighill should be the finalist with Sherritt as well. The talent in the East right now is well below the talent out West.

vanwest is online now  
Old
11-07-2012, 12:12 PM
  #21
Rocko604
Registered User
 
Rocko604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Weird for some reason I thought Sherrit was Canadian. In any case the top 2 Canadians are Cornish and Harris this year.

See my post above. Harris' yards from scrimmage aren't that much better. You can make a strong case for both. To say Cornish only got it because he broke the record is overlooking how good a season Cornish had.
We'll agree to disagree. I think Cornish only got it because of the record. Case in point, Joe Smith (who seems to have been deleted from CFL.ca stats). He rushed for over 1500 yards in 2007, and wasn't even nominated as West MOP.

In the end, though, it doesn't matter. Chad Owens is going win.


Last edited by Rocko604: 11-07-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Rocko604 is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 12:13 PM
  #22
roach9
Registered User
 
roach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
Harris and Bighill not being nominated is ridiculous.

roach9 is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 12:50 PM
  #23
crazycanuck
Registered User
 
crazycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
We'll agree to disagree. I think Cornish only got it because of the record. Case in point, Joe Smith (who seems to have been deleted from CFL.ca stats). He rushed for over 1500 yards in 2007, and wasn't even nominated as West MOP.

In the end, though, it doesn't matter. Chad Owens is going win.
Each year is different.

Cornish got the MOP and MOC nominations in part because he broke the record but it's not 100% why. Had Cornish's receiving not been good enough to have him also surpass the 1662 yards from scrimmage mark that was the previous record for a Canadian.

Cornish Rushing Yards 1475 Receiving Yards 338 Total 1795
Harris Rushing Yards 1112 Receiving 718 Total 1830

Thats damn close, that's close enough to be one more catch or rush. Put it this way if Harris didn't have his season Cornish would've broken two records, if Cornish didn't have his season Harris would've still only broke 1 record.

I agree though, Owens will win the MOP.

crazycanuck is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 12:53 PM
  #24
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User
 
WinterEmpire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Harris had only 36 more yards from scrimmage than Cornish this year. Not getting the MOC nomination because Cornish got does not have anything to do with disrespect. The media just believed that Cornish's season was better.
36 more yards on on 34 less combined attempts. That's huge. Harris beat him in Total Yards from Scrimmage on more than 10% less attempts. Not to mention Harris has a better Rushing average and Receiving average.

The only reason Cornish gets the nod is because of the record, plain and simple. He is not the better player overall by far.

WinterEmpire is online now  
Old
11-07-2012, 12:57 PM
  #25
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
36 more yards on on 34 less combined attempts. That's huge. Harris beat him in Total Yards from Scrimmage on more than 10% less attempts. Not to mention Harris has a better Rushing average and Receiving average.

The only reason Cornish gets the nod is because of the record, plain and simple. He is not the better player overall by far.
I agree with this. Personalities aside, there is no way that I would trade Harris for Cornish. I think that the way that the CFL is evolving the short pass to the running back is as much of an asset as the run itself. Combined yards is really a better measurement of value these days. Having said that, Cornish is no slouch himself but I just think Harris has a pretty big advantage as a receiver. It's pretty close as to who is overall better though.

I also think overall that BC players get somewhat overlooked because they are so deep at every position. If he hadn't got hurt I think that you could make a good case for Lulay for the award. On defence, Keron Willimas had an amazing year along with Bighill.


Last edited by vanwest: 11-07-2012 at 01:02 PM.
vanwest is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.