HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 roster

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2012, 01:30 AM
  #26
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
The arena alone doesn't guarantee anything. San Jose went from their start in a decrepit place worse than the NVMC to the arena in San Jose and though they made bank with a state of the art facility and lots of rich Silicon Valley fans but built a horrid piece of garbage for a team in the 90s. They struggled mightily to get even mediocre UFAs. It took key trade acquisitions, a non-circus like atmosphere, and better drafting post 90's to become a UFA preferred destination.

We only meet one of those criteria at the moment. IMO, the Isles will need to show more talent than Tavares from the development pipeline, and better UFA grabs than Vis and Streit to attract good UFAs.
coming out of this lock out the isles will be projected to be a top 6 team in the east, the sharks also had a lot less, the isles have a fan base, a core and a brand new arena in brooklyn, in the past the questions ufa's always asked garth was where will you be after th 14-15 season and now he has a more than acceptable answer

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:50 AM
  #27
Islander102
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
coming out of this lock out the isles will be projected to be a top 6 team in the east, the sharks also had a lot less, the isles have a fan base, a core and a brand new arena in brooklyn, in the past the questions ufa's always asked garth was where will you be after th 14-15 season and now he has a more than acceptable answer
What the eff?

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:29 AM
  #28
Bert Marshall days
Registered User
 
Bert Marshall days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
What the eff?
Because the lockout will end in 2015.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:01 AM
  #29
blinkman360
CdH for Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,355
vCash: 500
I'll go a little off the board... here goes:

Let's assume the lockout whipes out the entire season and we end up with the 5th pick in the draft:

Trade Brock Nelson and the 5th overall pick to Phoenix for Keith Yandle: Phoenix is stacked on defense both at the NHL level and below, and they could definitely use some talent up front. Obviously Nelson is a great prospect, but with Tavares, Strome, Nielsen and Cizikas looking like they have the NHL center positions locked up going forward, I think Nelson becomes a very valuable trade chip. The 5th pick would give the Yotes an opportunity to draft a guy like Lindholm, Shinkaruk or Lazar which would give them another potential gamebreaker on offense. Yandle will give us a much needed young, veteran top-2/3 defenseman.

Sign Raffi Torres: Another 'Yote. I know he's hated, but IMO he'd be a perfect fit for this team. He brings an element of toughness and intensity that this team desperately needs. He should also come relatively cheap.

These would be my only moves. I would like to add a 1st-line RW to go with JT and Moulson, but I just can't see a guy like Perry or Iginla coming here. I think Iginla would like to remain a Flame or go to a contender, and I think Perry will go to the highest bidder which will be out of our price range. I suppose we could use the trade market to go after a guy like Ryan, but IMO our trade assets would be better served bringing in a quality defenseman, whether that be Yandle, Subban, or whoever is available.

That said, this would end up being my lineup:

Matt Moulson - John Tavares - Nino Niederreiter
Josh Bailey - Ryan Strome - Kyle Okposo
David Ullstrom - Frans Nielsen - Michael Grabner
Matt Martin - Casey Cizikas - Raffi Torres

Keith Yandle - Travis Hamonic
Mark Streit - Griffin Reinhart
Andrew MacDonald - Matt Carkner
x-Matt Donovan/Calvin deHaan
**eventually phase Carkner out into that 7th spot, and impliment deHaan or Donovan(preferrably deHaan if he fully recovers)

Evgeni Nabokov
Anders Nilsson/Kevin Poulin
**I'd prefer a two goalie rotation, but ultimately I'd be fine with riding the hot hand. We'll see who is the better goaltender at the time between Nilsson and Poulin.

I think that lineup gives us 3 potential scoring lines(one of which could be elite depending on how Tavares, as well as Nino continue to develop), and one ultra-checking line with Martin-Cizikas-Torres. IMO that could be one of the least desirable lines to play against in hockey, and they still could have the potential to chip in offensively from time to time.

Defensively, I would love to at least give Yandle and Hamonic a shot together to see how they perform. On paper they look like they could be a great pairing. While Reinhart might not be ready to go by this time, I don't think he would have much left to learn at the OHL level in '13/14 and the Isles might see this as an opportunity to introduce him to the NHL. In that case, I think Streit could be a great mentor and D-partner for the kid. Depending on how quickly Reinhart adapts, they could be a very reliable pairing in their own right. MacDonald and Carkner should start the season together, but depending on how Carkner plays, and how Donovan/deHaan are performing in Bridgeport, I could quickly see that changing.

The goaltending could be another questionmark, but the time has to eventually come when we give these kids a chance to see what they are capable of. Hopefully Nabokov is still as reliable then as he is now, so we will at least have a fallback option. In which case we can either choose to ride out the growing pains with the kids, or look for a goaltender in the 2014 offseason(Jonas Hiller, Ryan Miller, Miikka Kiprusoff, JS Giguere, Johan Hedberg, Henrik Lundqvist, Tomas Vokoun, Jaroslav Halak and Brian Elliott, among others, are set to become UFAs that offseason. Obviously most of them will re-sign(especially Lundqvist), but chances are at least a couple of them make it to the UFA market(especially one of Halak or Elliott)).

On top of all of this, we'll still have guys like Kabanov, Lee, Sundstrom, Persson, Mayfield, Pelech, Kichton, Pedan, Pokka, etc. in the pipeline, as well as 2013 and 14 draft picks, leaving us with a pretty strong system still. Maybe not as much on the high end scale, but still very deep.

Whether or not the Yandle trade(or one like it) could or would go through, I still think we will have a very good team in the very near future regardless. Hopefully the rest of these guys can stay healthy in the meantime.

***Sorry for the long-windedness

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:07 AM
  #30
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Johnny Rockets
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17,076
vCash: 500
^I really, really don't to trade Nelson. He's looked way too good in Bridgeport.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:34 AM
  #31
blinkman360
CdH for Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
^I really, really don't to trade Nelson. He's looked way too good in Bridgeport.
The only other scenario I could see would be moving Strome to Tavares' RW and slotting Nelson in as the 2nd line center, which I wouldn't be opposed to. However, since we already have Nino, who I think could and probably will become a 1st line winger for this team, I just see Nelson being the perfect trade bait at this point. God knows this team could use another top notch defenseman, and unless we are able to find that guy on the UFA market I just don't see a better candidate to go the other way than Nelson.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:18 PM
  #32
KrisBeKreame
Registered User
 
KrisBeKreame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
The only other scenario I could see would be moving Strome to Tavares' RW and slotting Nelson in as the 2nd line center, which I wouldn't be opposed to. However, since we already have Nino, who I think could and probably will become a 1st line winger for this team, I just see Nelson being the perfect trade bait at this point. God knows this team could use another top notch defenseman, and unless we are able to find that guy on the UFA market I just don't see a better candidate to go the other way than Nelson.
I would not consider trading him. I think that he can become a very close player to Ryan Kesler. That is something every team should dream of having.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:07 PM
  #33
blinkman360
CdH for Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
I would not consider trading him. I think that he can become a very close player to Ryan Kesler. That is something every team should dream of having.
Which is exactly why he'd warrant being the centerpiece of a trade to bring back a player like Yandle. IMO, as long as Strome is sticking at center I don't see why the Islanders wouldn't test the trade market with Nelson. I don't see how holding onto him to become our 3rd line center would make any sense, considering Nielsen is one of the best in the league and is in the prime of his career at 28 years of age.

I suppose you could move Nelson to the wing to keep him in the top-6, but we already have Moulson, Okposo, Bailey, possibly Grabner and potentially Nino. I can't see Moulson or Okposo going anywhere. Bailey's value at this point is pretty low, but IMO his ceiling is still extremely high and he is just starting to enter his prime years. Grabner could still be effective in a 3rd line role so he doesn't need to be in one of the top 2 lines, but if Nino reaches his potential there is no way he won't be playing in the top-6.

Ultimately if you want to hang onto Nelson, this is the only way I can see the lineup working:

Moulson - Tavares - Strome
Nino - Nelson - Okposo
Bailey - Nielsen - Grabner
Martin - Cizikas - Ullstrom

I'd be fine with that, but at this point I'd rather keep Strome at center. Nelson could be moved to the wing, but I like him much more at center, where he has a ton of value as a big, talented body up the middle. IMO it just comes down to analyzing your assets and determining what you can afford to do to improve this team. As good as Nelson is and probably will be, we already have a ton of high-end talent in and outside of the NHL, to the point where trading him away probably won't hurt this team's offense much going forward. IMO, with the amount of talent we have, it probably won't make a difference at all.

As long as that trade brings in a young/youngish quality top-2/3 defenseman, even if you don't want to trade Nelson, just dismissing that deal without at least looking into it would be completely ill-advised.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:36 PM
  #34
Riddick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,366
vCash: 500
My concern here is that there are a glut of prospects in the system. For whatever reason snow has either been unwilling or unable to package them together to get a competent player now. He's going to have to show he's better than a puppet gm sooner or later..

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:38 PM
  #35
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Which is exactly why he'd warrant being the centerpiece of a trade to bring back a player like Yandle. IMO, as long as Strome is sticking at center I don't see why the Islanders wouldn't test the trade market with Nelson. I don't see how holding onto him to become our 3rd line center would make any sense, considering Nielsen is one of the best in the league and is in the prime of his career at 28 years of age.

I suppose you could move Nelson to the wing to keep him in the top-6, but we already have Moulson, Okposo, Bailey, possibly Grabner and potentially Nino. I can't see Moulson or Okposo going anywhere. Bailey's value at this point is pretty low, but IMO his ceiling is still extremely high and he is just starting to enter his prime years. Grabner could still be effective in a 3rd line role so he doesn't need to be in one of the top 2 lines, but if Nino reaches his potential there is no way he won't be playing in the top-6.

Ultimately if you want to hang onto Nelson, this is the only way I can see the lineup working:

Moulson - Tavares - Strome
Nino - Nelson - Okposo
Bailey - Nielsen - Grabner
Martin - Cizikas - Ullstrom

I'd be fine with that, but at this point I'd rather keep Strome at center. Nelson could be moved to the wing, but I like him much more at center, where he has a ton of value as a big, talented body up the middle. IMO it just comes down to analyzing your assets and determining what you can afford to do to improve this team. As good as Nelson is and probably will be, we already have a ton of high-end talent in and outside of the NHL, to the point where trading him away probably won't hurt this team's offense much going forward. IMO, with the amount of talent we have, it probably won't make a difference at all.

As long as that trade brings in a young/youngish quality top-2/3 defenseman, even if you don't want to trade Nelson, just dismissing that deal without at least looking into it would be completely ill-advised.
Personally if one center is going to go i think it is going to be Nielsen, i think strome eventually gets moved to right wing to be a play making winger that tavares would show what he is truly capable of with, and then nelson and cizikas are 2a and 2b centers

i have very high hopes for both nelson and cizikas, as much as a love nielsen right now i think that cizikas will be able to bring most of what nielsen brings with added physicality

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:56 PM
  #36
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Johnny Rockets
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17,076
vCash: 500
With the way Nelson and Nino are playing, they may be the only two prospects I would consider untouchable. I'd be more okay with trading Strome at this point for a winger for JT or a defenseman like Yandle.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:01 PM
  #37
Konk
Registered User
 
Konk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,891
vCash: 500
I think people are expecting certain prospects to make the jump too soon.

I think the roster will look something like this:

Moulson-Tavares-Boyes
Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo
Bailey-Strome-Niederreiter
Ullstrom-Cizikas-Martin
Joensuu

Streit-Visnovsky
Donovan-Hamonic
Reinhart-MacDonald
Carkner

Nabokov
Poulin
DiPietro

Ultimately if all/some of Streit, Boyes, Nabokov, or Visnovsky are not resigned, other veterans that will bring the Isles above the cap floor will need to be picked up either via FA or trade. Not all prospects like Nelson, Halmo, Pedan, etc. will make it right away and require some time in the AHL.

Expect top prospects like Strome, Niederreiter, and Reinhart to fast track, as well as already groomed prospects like Cizikas, Ullstrom, and Donovan to make a push. Other than that, this rebuild is a slower process than some would probably like to see.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:07 PM
  #38
blinkman360
CdH for Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
I think people are expecting certain prospects to make the jump too soon.

I think the roster will look something like this:

Moulson-Tavares-Boyes
Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo
Bailey-Strome-Niederreiter
Ullstrom-Cizikas-Martin
Joensuu

Streit-Visnovsky
Donovan-Hamonic
Reinhart-MacDonald
Carkner

Nabokov
Poulin
DiPietro

Ultimately if all/some of Streit, Boyes, Nabokov, or Visnovsky are not resigned, other veterans that will bring the Isles above the cap floor will need to be picked up either via FA or trade. Not all prospects like Nelson, Halmo, Pedan, etc. will make it right away and require some time in the AHL.

Expect top prospects like Strome, Niederreiter, and Reinhart to fast track, as well as already groomed prospects like Cizikas, Ullstrom, and Donovan to make a push. Other than that, this rebuild is a slower process than some would probably like to see.
I think I have a better shot of banging Eva Mendes than seeing Brad Boyes re-signed. Also I think the "Nielsen as the 2nd line center" experiment is over. Even though he'll be a rookie, I fully expect Strome to be ahead of Nielsen on the depth chart. I also think it's pretty close to a 0% chance that Visnovsky re-signs. Maybe if they salvage a season and he enjoys playing here, but I'd still be surprised.

Agree on Strome, Nino and Reinhart though. I expect all 3 of them to be on this team in 2013/14.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:15 PM
  #39
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Johnny Rockets
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 17,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I think I have a better shot of banging Eva Mendes than seeing Brad Boyes re-signed. Also I think the "Nielsen as the 2nd line center" experiment is over. Even though he'll be a rookie, I fully expect Strome to be ahead of Nielsen on the depth chart. I also think it's pretty close to a 0% chance that Visnovsky re-signs. Maybe if they salvage a season and he enjoys playing here, but I'd still be surprised.

Agree on Strome, Nino and Reinhart though. I expect all 3 of them to be on this team in 2013/14.
If you said that about Visnovsky I would agree, but Boyes? I think there's a chance he stays.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:21 PM
  #40
Konk
Registered User
 
Konk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I think I have a better shot of banging Eva Mendes than seeing Brad Boyes re-signed. Also I think the "Nielsen as the 2nd line center" experiment is over. Even though he'll be a rookie, I fully expect Strome to be ahead of Nielsen on the depth chart. I also think it's pretty close to a 0% chance that Visnovsky re-signs. Maybe if they salvage a season and he enjoys playing here, but I'd still be surprised.

Agree on Strome, Nino and Reinhart though. I expect all 3 of them to be on this team in 2013/14.
Eva doesn't like gringos.

Second of all, you underestimate Snow's ability to resign a player, case in point Evgeni Nabokov. Either way, I did notate that if not all of Boyes/Visnovsky/etc. are resigned that other veterans will need to be. The main point is, those roster spots will not all be occupied by rookies, some veterans will be added/replaced.

Third, I think Strome will be eased in. Nielsen is a proven veteran and part of the core, he won't be pushed aside for a rookie. Strome will need to earn his way up, just like the other prospects that have been brought along the past few years. For example, Niederreiter was not handed a top 6 spot. Don't expect Strome to be any different.

If the Islanders would like to build a successful system like the Red Wings, Devils, etc. they need to start doing these things or they'll continue to rush and put prospects in positions to fail.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:45 PM
  #41
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Eva doesn't like gringos.

Second of all, you underestimate Snow's ability to resign a player, case in point Evgeni Nabokov. Either way, I did notate that if not all of Boyes/Visnovsky/etc. are resigned that other veterans will need to be. The main point is, those roster spots will not all be occupied by rookies, some veterans will be added/replaced.

Third, I think Strome will be eased in. Nielsen is a proven veteran and part of the core, he won't be pushed aside for a rookie. Strome will need to earn his way up, just like the other prospects that have been brought along the past few years. For example, Niederreiter was not handed a top 6 spot. Don't expect Strome to be any different.

If the Islanders would like to build a successful system like the Red Wings, Devils, etc. they need to start doing these things or they'll continue to rush and put prospects in positions to fail.
Good points and I'm in agreement. It's unrealistic to assume that the current holes in the lineup will be filled by rookies. It's a recipe for disaster.

Streit will be re-signed. We can't really afford to lose him considering the situation on the blue line. Nabokov should be back and I'm not ready to hand the reins to Poulin or Nilsson no matter how impressive they are this year at the Bridge.

The only premium prospect that should be in the lineup is Nino next year. It looks like Strome may too, but I wouldn't mind him spending time in the AHL to begin the season so that he has some exposure to professional hockey before he's thrown to the wolves. If he's showing that he's ready, then so be it. Otherwise, caution is best. The same goes for Reinhart, I don't want to see him fast tracked. Do the opposite of Nino and keep him in the WHL next year and then see how things play out.

I do see Cizikas and Ullstrom in the plans for 2013-2014. It does seem like there is a glut in the system, but we are not at the stage yet where tough roster decisions need to be made. I think that time will come after the 2013-2014 season when quite a few names will be on the verge and most importantly, prepared to play in the NHL. Reinhart, Nelson, Strome, Mayfield, Pedan, etc. should all have sufficient development time by then so that at least they won't crap the bed the way Nino did last year. Plus, we'll finally have enough depth throughout the system to have a continuous stream of talent at all levels by then. Snow will have all the ammunition he needs to pull off trades to make a splash in 2015. Don't forget about incumbents Bailey, Okposo, and Grabner who may or may not be in the teams plans going forward from that point.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:51 PM
  #42
blinkman360
CdH for Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
If you said that about Visnovsky I would agree, but Boyes? I think there's a chance he stays.
I see Boyes as a stop gap. Nothing more. After this season I expect Snow to either fill that spot from within, or attempt to make a splash via UFA/trade. Either way, Boyes is neither of those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Eva doesn't like gringos.

Second of all, you underestimate Snow's ability to resign a player, case in point Evgeni Nabokov. Either way, I did notate that if not all of Boyes/Visnovsky/etc. are resigned that other veterans will need to be. The main point is, those roster spots will not all be occupied by rookies, some veterans will be added/replaced.

Third, I think Strome will be eased in. Nielsen is a proven veteran and part of the core, he won't be pushed aside for a rookie. Strome will need to earn his way up, just like the other prospects that have been brought along the past few years. For example, Niederreiter was not handed a top 6 spot. Don't expect Strome to be any different.

If the Islanders would like to build a successful system like the Red Wings, Devils, etc. they need to start doing these things or they'll continue to rush and put prospects in positions to fail.
I don't doubt Snow could re-sign Boyes, I just don't think he'll want to. Visnovsky, OTOH, I'm sure he'd like to re-sign, I just don't see the guy wanting to stay.

As far as Strome vs Nielsen, it's not a matter of Strome pushing anyone aside. Strome fits better in a 2nd line role, and Nielsen is the perfect 3rd line center. I don't see why we should flip-flop them just because Nielsen has been around longer. The difference between Nino and Strome is not only position, but Nino has the ability to play a checking-line role if need be. Strome isn't that type of player. IMO, Strome on the 2nd line between Bailey and Okposo makes too much sense.

I think the Islanders are building a successful team just by being patient. I have to give Snow some credit. He's stocked the cupboard full of talent, more than we know what to do with; he's found a few gems along the way in Streit, Moulson, Grabner and Nabakov; he hasn't attempted any "Yashin-type" trades; and he hasn't locked the team into any bad contracts. If the new arena allows him to bring in a few veterans here and there to help push these kids over the top, this team could be a legit contender much sooner than most of us here think.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:11 PM
  #43
blinkman360
CdH for Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Good points and I'm in agreement. It's unrealistic to assume that the current holes in the lineup will be filled by rookies. It's a recipe for disaster.

Streit will be re-signed. We can't really afford to lose him considering the situation on the blue line. Nabokov should be back and I'm not ready to hand the reins to Poulin or Nilsson no matter how impressive they are this year at the Bridge.

The only premium prospect that should be in the lineup is Nino next year. It looks like Strome may too, but I wouldn't mind him spending time in the AHL to begin the season so that he has some exposure to professional hockey before he's thrown to the wolves. If he's showing that he's ready, then so be it. Otherwise, caution is best. The same goes for Reinhart, I don't want to see him fast tracked. Do the opposite of Nino and keep him in the WHL next year and then see how things play out.

I do see Cizikas and Ullstrom in the plans for 2013-2014. It does seem like there is a glut in the system, but we are not at the stage yet where tough roster decisions need to be made. I think that time will come after the 2013-2014 season when quite a few names will be on the verge and most importantly, prepared to play in the NHL. Reinhart, Nelson, Strome, Mayfield, Pedan, etc. should all have sufficient development time by then so that at least they won't crap the bed the way Nino did last year. Plus, we'll finally have enough depth throughout the system to have a continuous stream of talent at all levels by then. Snow will have all the ammunition he needs to pull off trades to make a splash in 2015. Don't forget about incumbents Bailey, Okposo, and Grabner who may or may not be in the teams plans going forward from that point.
I never agreed with the whole "since this guy was drafted this year, he shouldn't be on this team until this year" argument. If a player is deemed ready by the coaching staff, he should get an opportunity to make the team. Especially if said player fills a hole in an NHL lineup, like Strome would for this team.

Considering most if not all of that 2011 top-10 would probably be in the NHL this season, I really don't see Strome not making this team out of camp next season. Especially considering how he's played to this point. I don't see any scenario where Nino doesn't make the opening lineup next year either barring injury. Even if it's in a 3rd line role, he'll be on this team.

The only questionmark, IMO, will be Reinhart. If he keeps on track I think the Isles will be in a tough spot next year, especially if they still have holes on the NHL defense. Reinhart is the type of player who probably won't have much to gain from playing in the WHL as a 19/20 year old. Since they won't be able to have him start the season in Bridgeport, they may choose to keep him up at the NHL level. I think it all depends on how he performs in TC. Either way, I think it's impossible to say at this point in time whether he will or will not be here.

Other than that, I agree that veterans need to be brought in. At least one on defense, and probably a bottom-sixer. I just don't see a complete overhaul being necessary.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:15 PM
  #44
Konk
Registered User
 
Konk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I see Boyes as a stop gap. Nothing more. After this season I expect Snow to either fill that spot from within, or attempt to make a splash via UFA/trade. Either way, Boyes is neither of those things.
He can attempt all he wants, the UFA market will be bare and most players will either resign with their current teams or go to a contender. The only other option will be to resign Boyes or sign another similar player that contenders don't have interest in, which would just be lateral movement. To expect a Horton or someone similar is a meth pipe dream, not that you suggested him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I don't doubt Snow could re-sign Boyes, I just don't think he'll want to. Visnovsky, OTOH, I'm sure he'd like to re-sign, I just don't see the guy wanting to stay.
I think he'll want to. Boyes is a veteran who is a good reclamation project at the same time. He's capable of putting up the points to replace Parenteau's production, plus he adds more dimensions than PA did. He's also cheap, as we already know, and willing to be an Islander. These are two big points that are hard to find in a player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
As far as Strome vs Nielsen, it's not a matter of Strome pushing anyone aside. Strome fits better in a 2nd line role, and Nielsen is the perfect 3rd line center. I don't see why we should flip-flop them just because Nielsen has been around longer. The difference between Nino and Strome is not only position, but Nino has the ability to play a checking-line role if need be. Strome isn't that type of player. IMO, Strome on the 2nd line between Bailey and Okposo makes too much sense.
Strome will still receive less ice time and Nielsen will still play the checking role, things aren't as cookie-cutter where you define your checking line as the 3rd line. The Islanders will most likely keep the Nielsen line as the 2nd line and use them in a checking role. The point is, Strome will not receive more ice time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I think the Islanders are building a successful team just by being patient. I have to give Snow some credit. He's stocked the cupboard full of talent, more than we know what to do with; he's found a few gems along the way in Streit, Moulson, Grabner and Nabakov; he hasn't attempted any "Yashin-type" trades; and he hasn't locked the team into any bad contracts. If the new arena allows him to bring in a few veterans here and there to help push these kids over the top, this team could be a legit contender much sooner than most of us here think.
I think most people expect it sooner than it's actually going to happen. The Islanders are taking the long-term approach. It took Quebec/Colorado the better part of a decade and they had a lot more 1st overall picks. The Islanders rebuild started in 2008, I would expect it to continue for another 2-4 years after this year before they start becoming a legit contender. Remember their core prosects, Niederreiter, Nelson, Strome, Reinhart, etc. are all still very young.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:27 PM
  #45
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I never agreed with the whole "since this guy was drafted this year, he shouldn't be on this team until this year" argument. If a player is deemed ready by the coaching staff, he should get an opportunity to make the team. Especially if said player fills a hole in an NHL lineup, like Strome would for this team.

Considering most if not all of that 2011 top-10 would probably be in the NHL this season, I really don't see Strome not making this team out of camp next season. Especially considering how he's played to this point. I don't see any scenario where Nino doesn't make the opening lineup next year either barring injury. Even if it's in a 3rd line role, he'll be on this team.

The only questionmark, IMO, will be Reinhart. If he keeps on track I think the Isles will be in a tough spot next year, especially if they still have holes on the NHL defense. Reinhart is the type of player who probably won't have much to gain from playing in the WHL as a 19/20 year old. Since they won't be able to have him start the season in Bridgeport, they may choose to keep him up at the NHL level. I think it all depends on how he performs in TC. Either way, I think it's impossible to say at this point in time whether he will or will not be here.

Other than that, I agree that veterans need to be brought in. At least one on defense, and probably a bottom-sixer. I just don't see a complete overhaul being necessary.
To your point about Strome, what does it matter what all the other picks will be in the NHL by next year? Good for those teams, but essentially giving him the job next year without proving he can handle it, I don't think that's a good thing. He's playing great right now and I am definitely excited about his future, but easing him in to an important spot in the lineup is a much better situation IMO - a situation where he can achieve some sort of success and build confidence rather than getting it destroyed like we saw last year with Nino. If Strome is ready, then he's ready. Assuming that he'll be ready, I can't pull the trigger on that.

As for Reinhart, your reasoning sounds much like the reasoning behind Nino staying up last year. I definitely think he can gain from another year in the WHL. Play him 30 minutes a game there and then see if he's ready for NHL duty then. If we learned anything from a tweener prospect and the decision to keep them in the NHL or Juniors (when the AHL is not an option), I'd rather send him back. He's someone the organization is looking to be a horse on the blue line for a long, long time... waiting another year for him to arrive isn't going potentially destroy his confidence and game like rushing him to the NHL would.

I'm very curious though with how Reinhart is handled. So far, Snow's Isles have been fairly patient with the defenseman. Hamonic spent another 2 years in Junior after being drafted and half a season at the Bridge. CDH (injuries did play a role with him), but he hasn't been rushed. Donovan too. Granted we haven't had a premium kid like Reinhart in the mix, but so far the trends are indicating to me that they'll bring him along slowly. At least I hope that's the case because screwing up Reinhart's development would really suck, he's an important piece for the future.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:37 PM
  #46
blinkman360
CdH for Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 9,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
He can attempt all he wants, the UFA market will be bare and most players will either resign with their current teams or go to a contender. The only other option will be to resign Boyes or sign another similar player that contenders don't have interest in, which would just be lateral movement. To expect a Horton or someone similar is a meth pipe dream, not that you suggested him.


I think he'll want to. Boyes is a veteran who is a good reclamation project at the same time. He's capable of putting up the points to replace Parenteau's production, plus he adds more dimensions than PA did. He's also cheap, as we already know, and willing to be an Islander. These are two big points that are hard to find in a player.


Strome will still receive less ice time and Nielsen will still play the checking role, things aren't as cookie-cutter where you define your checking line as the 3rd line. The Islanders will most likely keep the Nielsen line as the 2nd line and use them in a checking role. The point is, Strome will not receive more ice time.


I think most people expect it sooner than it's actually going to happen. The Islanders are taking the long-term approach. It took Quebec/Colorado the better part of a decade and they had a lot more 1st overall picks. The Islanders rebuild started in 2008, I would expect it to continue for another 2-4 years after this year before they start becoming a legit contender. Remember their core prosects, Niederreiter, Nelson, Strome, Reinhart, etc. are all still very young.
If Nino, Strome and Ullstrom are all on this team next year, there just won't be any room for Boyes. The center positions will be locked up with Tavares, Strome, Nielsen and Cizikas, and on wing we'll have Moulson, Okposo, Bailey, Grabner, Nino, Ullstrom and Martin, leaving one open spot probably on the 4th line. I'd expect that to be filled via UFA(with a guy like Torres, who I mentioned before). I just don't see the room or need for a guy like Boyes. With the way he's played the past couple of year, I don't see how anyone would have more confidence with him on our first line than a guy like Okposo or even someone as unproven as Nino. He made sense this year as a stop-gap, however I don't see the need next season after a full year of development for some of our young, NHL ready top prospects.

As far as Strome receiving less minutes, you could be right, although that would only be because of the coaching staff wanting Nielsen on the ice in a shut-down role. Strome will get most of the offensive zone starts when the Tavares line is tired.

As far as this team becoming successful, I think a lot will depend on how quickly guys like Nino and Strome adapt to the NHL game. I think it will also depend on whether or not Snow can add the pieces he wants via the UFA or trade market. If he's able to do that next offseason, this team's turn-around could realistically begin in 2013-14.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 06:16 PM
  #47
Aucoin3
Registered User
 
Aucoin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
There is no way to tell...without knowing what the CBA will look like, we don't know how much money the Islanders will be forced/able to spend.

It is very possible that something is changed about the way bonuses are counted, forcing the Isles to spend more. It is also possible that the Isles become eligible for revenue sharing but a minimum payroll is put in place.

Based only on the players currently on the roster, I think...

Moulson-JT-Okposo
Bailey-Nielsen-Nino
Martin-Strome-Grabner
Ullstrom-Cizikas-????

The defense will be a mess without Streit and Vis, but...

Hamonic-MacDonald
Donavan-De Haan
Carkner-Ness

Again, no way do I see the team starting 3 rookies.

In goal: Poulin and Nillson (I would expect a vet to be brought in)
How fun would it be to have Donovan, deHaan and Ness on D together. Most teams with 3 average prospect dmen playing in their top 6 excel. Especially when one is about 5'7 and another is coming off of a serious season ending injury.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 06:26 PM
  #48
Aucoin3
Registered User
 
Aucoin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,893
vCash: 500
There is going to be a hard cap floor number this year so expect the Isles to be on a bit of a spending spree over the next year.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 07:14 PM
  #49
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
There is going to be a hard cap floor number this year so expect the Isles to be on a bit of a spending spree over the next year.
you won't be seeing the version of wang that avoids spending in any way possible anymore with a stable future past 2015 in a new arena

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:36 AM
  #50
Poulin 0n My St1ck
Registered User
 
Poulin 0n My St1ck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,028
vCash: 500
For forwards, I'd love to see:

BAILEY! - JT - KO
Moulson - Strome - Niño
Grabs - Nielsen - Nelson/Ullstrom/UFA
Martin - Cizikas - UFA

I'd love to experiment with that first line. I'd also be very happy with Bailey-Strome-KO.

Obviously Snow is going to have to swap some forwards for a d-man or two sooner or later.

I don't care much for Grabner, so see ya later.
I love Franz, but I'd rather trade him than Nelson or Cizikas.
Sad to say it but KO is gonna have to go too if we want a legit d-man. Then we'd have to move someone (Nelson?) to RW.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.