HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Bure Penalty shot (Nucks/NYR '94 SCF)

Old
11-03-2012, 03:07 AM
Puckgenius*

vCash: 500
Bure Penalty shot (Nucks/NYR '94 SCF)

Is it still rated as the best save ever on a pen. Shot? it was easily the best save of Richters career aside from the Olympics. Bure burned Richter on the first goal, made it look easy, Richter didnt even have time to get set before the puck was in the back of the net. And Richter gets redemption on the pen. Shot

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Big Phil

The best save ever on a penalty shot? Maybe, and probably. This was a classic showdown between two incredibly fast and athletic players. Both did the move that defined them. Bure always did that wide move on the forehand and Richter as always was so flexible and so quick that he got his right pad out in time.

But when I think of Richter I think of this save from the 1996 World Cup. He made a lot that game but none stand out more than this one. This save scared me because it seemed like he was never going to get beaten then. Check it out at 3:50

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 04:30 PM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Actually I think the 2005 world championship save by Brodeur on Palffy was better.

Still outstanding save there. Bure didnt always make that move. He famously did in game 7 OT against Vernon that year but he beat Richter earlier in the series five hole and the previous series was stopped by Potvin, both on simple shots.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:14 AM
Puckgenius*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
The best save ever on a penalty shot? Maybe, and probably. This was a classic showdown between two incredibly fast and athletic players. Both did the move that defined them. Bure always did that wide move on the forehand and Richter as always was so flexible and so quick that he got his right pad out in time.

But when I think of Richter I think of this save from the 1996 World Cup. He made a lot that game but none stand out more than this one. This save scared me because it seemed like he was never going to get beaten then. Check it out at 3:50

Damphousse was so slick, i remember that game, richter was standing in his head.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:27 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Damphousse was so slick, i remember that game, richter was standing in his head.
And you just have to laugh at Damphousse taking not one, but two obvious slashes at Richter after the whistle. One of which hits him right in the dome.

Damn, that World Cup was good hockey. Like the All Star Game, Olypmics and Finals rolled into one.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
It was the best game Richter ever played. It is a case for the best game ever by a goalie in my opinion. Also, Damphousse played unreal. It isn't as if he couldn't bring it in his career, he had a 94 point season just then in 1996, but of all the names on that Canadian team he wouldn't have been the one you would think would have had such a great game. He was all over the place and Richter robbed him. It is also forgotten that Gretzky had a very good game also, but just couldn't bury one. In a just world Canada wins that game 7-2..............but that darn Richter.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Is it still rated as the best save ever on a pen. Shot?
Best, or most impactful?

The best save ever on a penalty shot is probably something that none of us have ever seen, in some league that no one cares about.

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

It's weird...Bure had all these moves and could score any way imaginable, but he loved that move.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Hell of a save by Richter, and what a stage to make it on.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:31 PM
blamebettman*

Richter was alot like Cujo. You're not going to score on a fancy deke...picking a spot and firing away was always your best option (ala Bates penalty shot)

To me Richters greatest save was not a save at all...but the Lafayette post in game 7. Because Rosen screamed out "SAVE BY RICHTER" and it looked like a save in real time, that's how it got imprinted in my mind.

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote