Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2012, 08:27 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
The game I thought was a phenomenal experience, made even better by the fact that we won!!!!

The Aud is a beautiful building, my fiancee and I must have spent about 30 minutes walking around and I was gleefully checking out all of the plaques and player photos.

But yup, my hands were red from all the clapping I did and my throat is hoarse from yelling various cheers and bits of encouragement.

I look forward to attending more games in the future. Now I just need to figure out the easiest and most hassle-free way to get good seats again.

Sadly I forgot to try the beer nuts although I picked up two t-shirts at the Rangers Authentic store this evening. I even convinced my fiancee to buy one of the shirts I bought myself for herself as well.
I'm glad you had a good time! There are a number of ways of getting seats (there really isn't a bad seat in the place, however, I haven't checked out the very top rows in the new section) -- the Rangers website has a ticket exchange where season ticketholders who are not able to attend specific games can sell their tickets http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/page...place-postings.

You probably won't be able to find tickets for games vs London -- if you liked last night's atmosphere (it was really quiet in there for most of the game), you'll LOVE games vs a rival team.

But the real question is... did you sing the Rangers goal song?

Old
11-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
I'm not going to bash you for your comment, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so please dont take my comments as such.

I was one who felt Fanelli deserved the C. Was it because he got injured and returned? If you wanted to write a one line novel about why, then yes you could go ahead and say that.

In reality, the reason I felt (and I believe I speak for the majority of those who also felt he deserved the C) is not simply because he was injured and came back, it is because he has a never quit attitude. This is a young man that was on NHL radar, and had his dream stripped from his hands, nearly died before our very eyes on the ice. What did he do about that? He could have walked away from hockey, like his parents and doctors wanted, he could have used the woe me card, he could have blamed it all on Mike Liambas.

Instead you have at the time, a 16 year old kid who when faced with adversity, accepted his fate and fought. He didnt give up the dream he was chasing, not when he was down on the ice, and not for the year + recovery, which he was being told the entire time hockey was no longer an option. What else did he do? He started a foundation to promote the effects of head trauma, to help OTHERS who experience similar situations, to give back to the very hockey community that supported him through he fight.

He returned to hockey, knowing he didnt have a free pass and worked his way back into the line-up.

He possesses an experience and drive for the game of hockey which no other on this team possesses. He had his dream taken away, and he stood up and reclaimed it.

He is an excellent teammate by all accounts, an excellent community ambassador for the Kitchener Rangers, and I've never met a person with a bad thing to say of him. His teammates look up to him, and have shed tears with and for him.

He may not be the best player on the ice, but he certainly has the biggest heart. A captain in my eyes shouldnt be picked on skill, but on merit. If youre a 3rd pairing defender but you lead by example, teammates look up to you, you fight every shift you're on the ice, and have stared adversity in the eyes, then yes you're captain material.

Ben Fanelli was not considered because he simply got hurt and returned, he was considered because the of the fine qualities of a leader that he displays on a daily basis, over the past 3 years in a return to pursue the dream he shares with his teammates. He never gave up on his team.
^^ worth repeating!

Old
11-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
I look forward to attending more games in the future. Now I just need to figure out the easiest and most hassle-free way to get good seats again.
Like CG said.... check out that site!

My wife loves going to games but sometimes find the multiple weekend games too much for her. If there's a game she's not going to I'll send you a pm and you can have ours (Section 19) and i can buy a solo ticket for myself!

Old
11-07-2012, 10:13 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I'm glad you had a good time! There are a number of ways of getting seats (there really isn't a bad seat in the place, however, I haven't checked out the very top rows in the new section) -- the Rangers website has a ticket exchange where season ticketholders who are not able to attend specific games can sell their tickets http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/page...place-postings.

You probably won't be able to find tickets for games vs London -- if you liked last night's atmosphere (it was really quiet in there for most of the game), you'll LOVE games vs a rival team.

But the real question is... did you sing the Rangers goal song?
Is getting tickets through Centre In The Square easy???? And if so....can you pick where you'd like your seats to be when buying individual game tickets right I.E. from their seating chart??? As preferably I'd like to have seats in that lower gold section (where I was last night) whenever I attend games. Or are the gold seats mostly for season ticket holders????

As somebody whom has slight balance and mobility issues I was happy my seats last night weren't in the red section as I noticed those stairs to go up to the red section coupled with the fact that there is no railing to use when going down those stairs made me cringe. Or is there an elevator you can use to get down if you walk all the way up to the top of the red section??? As I have more trouble with going down stairs and finding railings than going up. Going up is easy as pie. My fiancee and I did take the elevator instead of going down the main staircase after the game last night however. Both because of the fact that I was a bit hesitant of going down that main Aud staircase, and our knees were sore due to not having much leg room (She's a plus sized woman...and I'm 6"3 so yep it was a bit of a squeeze. ).

And yes I sang the goal song. I even tried firing up my section with a few "LETS GO RANGERS!!!!" chants and with some clapping...but it did not work. I was probably the only one cheering in my section. Damn people on their phones.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:25 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Is getting tickets through Centre In The Square easy???? And if so....can you pick where you'd like your seats to be when buying individual game tickets right I.E. from their seating chart??? As preferably I'd like to have seats in that lower gold section (where I was last night) whenever I attend games. Or are the gold seats mostly for season ticket holders????

As somebody whom has slight balance and mobility issues I was happy my seats last night weren't in the red section as I noticed those stairs to go up to the red section coupled with the fact that there is no railing to use when going down those stairs made me cringe. Or is there an elevator you can use to get down if you walk all the way up to the top of the red section??? As I have more trouble with going down stairs and finding railings than going up. Going up is easy as pie. My fiancee and I did take the elevator instead of going down the main staircase after the game last night however. Both because of the fact that I was a bit hesitant of going down that main Aud staircase, and our knees were sore due to not having much leg room (She's a plus sized woman...and I'm 6"3 so yep it was a bit of a squeeze. ).

And yes I sang the goal song. I even tried firing up my section with a few "LETS GO RANGERS!!!!" chants and with some clapping...but it did not work. I was probably the only one cheering in my section. Damn people on their phones.
Try the Blue section. It may be higher, but the seats are wider, the leg room more ample. I attend in the Blue with a friend of mine who is 6'4, a bit thicker as well (he's a big dude!) and our shoulders dont even rub there is that much space.

Mind you, you do have to go the stair route!

Old
11-07-2012, 10:33 AM
nikos

Quote:
I'm not going to bash you for your comment, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so please dont take my comments as such.

I was one who felt Fanelli deserved the C. Was it because he got injured and returned? If you wanted to write a one line novel about why, then yes you could go ahead and say that.

In reality, the reason I felt (and I believe I speak for the majority of those who also felt he deserved the C) is not simply because he was injured and came back, it is because he has a never quit attitude. This is a young man that was on NHL radar, and had his dream stripped from his hands, nearly died before our very eyes on the ice. What did he do about that? He could have walked away from hockey, like his parents and doctors wanted, he could have used the woe me card, he could have blamed it all on Mike Liambas.

Instead you have at the time, a 16 year old kid who when faced with adversity, accepted his fate and fought. He didnt give up the dream he was chasing, not when he was down on the ice, and not for the year + recovery, which he was being told the entire time hockey was no longer an option. What else did he do? He started a foundation to promote the effects of head trauma, to help OTHERS who experience similar situations, to give back to the very hockey community that supported him through he fight.

He returned to hockey, knowing he didnt have a free pass and worked his way back into the line-up.

He possesses an experience and drive for the game of hockey which no other on this team possesses. He had his dream taken away, and he stood up and reclaimed it.

He is an excellent teammate by all accounts, an excellent community ambassador for the Kitchener Rangers, and I've never met a person with a bad thing to say of him. His teammates look up to him, and have shed tears with and for him.

He may not be the best player on the ice, but he certainly has the biggest heart. A captain in my eyes shouldnt be picked on skill, but on merit. If youre a 3rd pairing defender but you lead by example, teammates look up to you, you fight every shift you're on the ice, and have stared adversity in the eyes, then yes you're captain material.

Ben Fanelli was not considered because he simply got hurt and returned, he was considered because the of the fine qualities of a leader that he displays on a daily basis, over the past 3 years in a return to pursue the dream he shares with his teammates. He never gave up on his team.

I will not question Murphy's leadership abilities, I am not a member of the team, I do not see how he interacts in the room, the words he says on the bench. All I can see is his lacksidasical play on the ice, which as a fan, are less then inspiring. He is the offensive leader of this team. My worry is perhaps asking him to be the Captain in addition to this is too much for him.
Excellent post!

Old
11-07-2012, 10:34 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Try the Blue section. It may be higher, but the seats are wider, the leg room more ample. I attend in the Blue with a friend of mine who is 6'4, a bit thicker as well (he's a big dude!) and our shoulders dont even rub there is that much space.

Mind you, you do have to go the stair route!
There is an elevator up to the new concourse (just spotted it last night).

MetalheadPenguinsFan, a lot of the gold seats are season ticketholders, so you might have more luck going through the Rangers' site. To help you select, the sections on the side you sat in last night are even numbered; the other side of the rink are odd numbered, and the rows in the "old" sections letter from A to (not sure). Golds end around G or H I think?

If going up the stairs is less of an issue, you could look for seats in the odd numbered red sections, and exit the section via the new concourse. The lower part of the reds has a railing beside the stairs (which oddly stops about 5 rows up).

Old
11-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Luvtowatch

Time for Franky Pallazzese to get a #1 goalie gig. He's too good to play every 3rd game at best.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:49 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
There is an elevator up to the new concourse (just spotted it last night).

MetalheadPenguinsFan, a lot of the gold seats are season ticketholders, so you might have more luck going through the Rangers' site. To help you select, the sections on the side you sat in last night are even numbered; the other side of the rink are odd numbered, and the rows in the "old" sections letter from A to (not sure). Golds end around G or H I think?

If going up the stairs is less of an issue, you could look for seats in the odd numbered red sections, and exit the section via the new concourse. The lower part of the reds has a railing beside the stairs (which oddly stops about 5 rows up).
the blue section does have more room and the elvstor. would be perfect for MPF. And there really isnt a bad seat in the house. Also in the blues, the beer vendor comes to you in the seats!

Anyone else notice how McEneny is starting to play better. IMO he is becoming a steady two way defender. Picked up two assists last night.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:51 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Time for Franky Pallazzese to get a #1 goalie gig. He's too good to play every 3rd game at best.
somewhat surprised he wasnt traded yet. he will get more plzying time come world jrs. but yes definitely deserving of a starter.

Old
11-07-2012, 12:04 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
somewhat surprised he wasnt traded yet. he will get more plzying time come world jrs. but yes definitely deserving of a starter.
Well he did tell Spott in the off season that he wants to be a number 1. He hasnt, to my knowledge, explicitly requested a trade.

If he is to be traded, it will be after the World Junior push, and likely used to acquire more offense, If I was GM anyways.

Think about it; teams will have an opportunity over this stretch of time see him in a starters role, getting most if not all of the starts (they may test Moylan out to see if he is capable of backing up Gibson), and at that point, they will see that Palazzese numbers of last year, and thus far this season are no mistake. His value has got to be climbing, he has not had a bad start yet, and has allowed no more then 3 goals in a start. He sports the best GAA at 1.99 and a sturdy SV% of .932.

Only problem is, if he eventually gets traded, IMO, it needs to be for A) an overpayment or B) because he has asked for it. Otherwise he is too valuable to this team. Who backs up Gibson if he is gone (a downgrade no doubt), who plays goal next season? Do you have confidence in whoever backs up Gibson to play enough down the stretch to rest Gibson for the playoffs, or play several games in a row if Gibson becomes injured?

Palazzese is the 1b that can step in no problem and deliver quality minutes. He would also be the starter next season, with Moylan to back up.

IMO, keep Palazzese.

Old
11-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
IMO, keep Palazzese.
I agree!
For what Spott will get for Frankie then needing to acquire a good back-up, the difference in assets acquired then given up just wouldn't be worthwhile.
If (and a big 'if') Crescenzi comes back that goes quite a way in filling in the forwards.

* not that Cresenzi is the final piece because he's not. A good playmaking centre is what this team really needs.

Old
11-07-2012, 12:52 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Well he did tell Spott in the off season that he wants to be a number 1. He hasnt, to my knowledge, explicitly requested a trade.

If he is to be traded, it will be after the World Junior push, and likely used to acquire more offense, If I was GM anyways.

Think about it; teams will have an opportunity over this stretch of time see him in a starters role, getting most if not all of the starts (they may test Moylan out to see if he is capable of backing up Gibson), and at that point, they will see that Palazzese numbers of last year, and thus far this season are no mistake. His value has got to be climbing, he has not had a bad start yet, and has allowed no more then 3 goals in a start. He sports the best GAA at 1.99 and a sturdy SV% of .932.

Only problem is, if he eventually gets traded, IMO, it needs to be for A) an overpayment or B) because he has asked for it. Otherwise he is too valuable to this team. Who backs up Gibson if he is gone (a downgrade no doubt), who plays goal next season? Do you have confidence in whoever backs up Gibson to play enough down the stretch to rest Gibson for the playoffs, or play several games in a row if Gibson becomes injured?

Palazzese is the 1b that can step in no problem and deliver quality minutes. He would also be the starter next season, with Moylan to back up.

IMO, keep Palazzese.
i would love to keep him, but as you said he basically already said he wanted to be a starter. To me that is saying play me as a stsrter or trade me. Not in those exact words but essentially thats what it means. Its only right as well as he is deserving. Can he wait it out another year? Who knows.

But with the need for scoring we still have I am surprised he wasnt part of a package deal. And I dont see the price for Frankie going up as the trade deadline gets closer.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Tim Wallach

When thinking of trading Frankie though, you have to consider the market. You instantly have to eliminate teams that are happy with their current #1. Then eliminate teams that are close rivals. Then eliminate teams that could use an upgrade but aren't contenders and thus are unlikely to give up much for a 19-year-old goalie.

Suddenly you maybe have 2 or 3 teams that you could deal with. Waiting until the deadline makes sense as you might have a few teams bid who are worried a rival might upgrade and some teams needing a goalie just to get playoff revenue.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Tim Wallach

Oh, and those of us who considered Archibald an ideal OA trade target from Saginaw can forget it. His OHL career is done with shoulder surgery.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:32 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Oh, and those of us who considered Archibald an ideal OA trade target from Saginaw can forget it. His OHL career is done with shoulder surgery.
I just read that - poor kid must be so disappointed. Definitely not the way a player wants to finish his OHL career.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:

Unless the return is significant, you can almost scratch the idea that Spott will give up Gilbert in a trade. It's hard to imagine much of an upgrade defensively from JG.

Old
11-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
I just read that - poor kid must be so disappointed. Definitely not the way a player wants to finish his OHL career.

Heartbreaking for the kid. But I guess he can lean on that education package now : )

As for trading Gilbert: Given that he is only 17 and already playing capable top-4 minutes (arguably top-3 lately), you can't trade him unless the return is good. Unfortunately there wasn't much of a market for him just over a month ago, so it'll be tough for Spott to go back asking for a lot more now. Another team will have to do some serious scouting and serious mind changing on their opinion of Gilbert to give up assets now.

By the same token, I think some teams will be kicking themselves knowing they could have had him for a moderate price.

Old
11-07-2012, 02:40 PM
ORYX

If I have to pick a d-man to part with in order to make an upgrade, its Genovese.

I see Gilbert being the first one asked for, but he has, for me anyways, played himself into a position as close to untouchable as you can get.

He is so young, shows such poise with the puck, excellent passing and vision, and a nack for a good hit.

Genovese unfortunately is probably the d-man with the least trade value currently.

Right now I am content with watching this defense see what they can do (despite my identifying players previously who would address needs, I wasnt exactly demanding moves be made right away). I believe with a bit of coaching Iafrate and Genovese can be guys who move bodies out from infront of the net.

They seem muzzled from an aggression stand point, we arent seeing the flare we saw in them last season.

If someone is available towards the deadline for a good price and is an obvious upgrade and addresses a need defensively, absolutely take that.

We havent seen any injuries to the back end yet either, and its only Owen Stewart back their to fill in unless they call up Young.

Speaking of Stewart, he dressed the last two games in place of the suspended Iafrate. I didnt see him take a shift on sunday, and had to miss last nights game. Did he get any shifts? If so how did he look?

Old
11-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Speaking of Stewart, he dressed the last two games in place of the suspended Iafrate. I didnt see him take a shift on sunday, and had to miss last nights game. Did he get any shifts? If so how did he look?

Stewart played a shift early in the game, looked completely lost, got scored on and went off. He was back out just two minutes later with the same forward line as well (Schmalz-Meighan-Llewellyn) and fared better this time. But I believe that was his last shift for the night. I could be wrong, but I didn't see him after those two shifts in the first.

Old
11-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Stewart played a shift early in the game, looked completely lost, got scored on and went off. He was back out just two minutes later with the same forward line as well (Schmalz-Meighan-Llewellyn) and fared better this time. But I believe that was his last shift for the night. I could be wrong, but I didn't see him after those two shifts in the first.
You're correct, I remember saying to my friend when I saw Stewart out with two 16 year old forwards that it was a recipe for disaster.
IMHO if you want to give a rookie dman some limited minutes at least send him out with experienced forwards.

Old
11-07-2012, 02:55 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Sounds like its about time to send him down to Junior B for some minutes. Have him and Young practise with the club. If an injury occurs, it doesnt take much to call one of them up.

At the beginning of the season this team was heavy on D, now we are paper thin, and there are no injuries.

Kind of worrying actually. If one or two guys go down for even a short period, we're in for a rough time.

Old
11-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
You're correct, I remember saying to my friend when I saw Stewart out with two 16 year old forwards that it was a recipe for disaster.
IMHO if you want to give a rookie dman some limited minutes at least send him out with experienced forwards.
Agreed 100%. I said the exact same thing. I don't understand why Spott has always done that. He'll give a rookie d-man his limited shifts with the rookie forwards out as well. I've seen it a number of times in the past two seasons that ended in disaster (or near disaster). I get that he's out against the opposing fourth lines normally, but you should insulate those guys with vets and get them some confidence.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
At the beginning of the season this team was heavy on D, now we are paper thin, and there are no injuries.

Kind of worrying actually. If one or two guys go down for even a short period, we're in for a rough time.

Especially when I'm hearing the team has essentially given up on Young and considers him out of their plans.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:09 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Especially when I'm hearing the team has essentially given up on Young and considers him out of their plans.
I really wish I knew why that was. Every game I've seen Young play, he's done well, worked hard, and not made any glaring errors. The kid has been handled very poorly from the get go, as far as I'm concerned.

Closed Thread