Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Admirals vs. Tigers - Yes, it starts at 8 am

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Paul4587

vCash: 500
I see Clark, Palmieri and Holland were all -3. Was that an indication of how they played defensively or was it just unlucky? Also, how did Etem and DSP look?

I didn't realize Hamonic was playing for the Tigers, I thought he would have been over the waiver threshold but he falls under it having only played 135 NHL games. Man the AHL has some good blueliners in it this year.

Old
11-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I see Clark, Palmieri and Holland were all -3. Was that an indication of how they played defensively or was it just unlucky? Also, how did Etem and DSP look?

I didn't realize Hamonic was playing for the Tigers, I thought he would have been over the waiver threshold but he falls under it having only played 135 NHL games. Man the AHL has some good blueliners in it this year.
It's too bad Fowler is just barely over. It would have been kind of cool to see him on the Admirals.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
It's too bad Fowler is just barely over. It would have been kind of cool to see him on the Admirals.
He`d probably be in Hendrys place, since we signed Parent only after season started (Smaby got an injury)

Damn, i think Fowler have to get a team rather sooner than later. He`s at the age and stagee in his career when he could really use a playing time.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
He`d probably be in Hendrys place, since we signed Parent only after season started (Smaby got an injury)

Damn, i think Fowler have to get a team rather sooner than later. He`s at the age and stagee in his career when he could really use a playing time.
He's probably waiting for December. That's more or less the month that will decide if we have a season or not. That happened last time too, with players waiting until the season was written off.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Paul4587

Quote:

IIRC, Eric Stephens said Fowler would start looking overseas if it looked like the lockout would go a year. While I think he would be too good even for the current AHL, it would still be better than nothing. I think the NLA would probably be the best option for him during the lockout, he would be getting a ton of minutes against the likes of Spezza, Thornton, Nash, Tavares etc.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Yeah, so soon we`ll know!

If NLA is the case, i wonder if Lugano would be interested in him. Fowler-Sbisa would be great, but that`s just me dreaming.

I`d enjoy him in KHL too

Old
11-07-2012, 04:03 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
More unlucky than an indication of defensive play, I guess. Palmieri was our best man offensively today with some great stick moves.

DSP was quite invisible. Etem looked good on the forecheck, but did not really create anything WITH the puck. Apart from his goal of course.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:15 PM
randyc

Lindholm

I have been reading the comments here about Lindholm. And I would have to agree that of the two, Lindholm and Vatanen, Lindholm is the more NHL ready of the two.

That being said, Lindholm is just beginning to tap his offensive skills. But he's played solid defense all season long. And I most definitely agree he has shown poise way beyond his years. He skates effortlessly, and has a great breakout pass. Lindholm definitely doesn't look rattled out there.

He could use some more seasoning this season in the AHL. But if push came to shove, he could go up. Just don't count on him being your offensive dman at this stage of his career.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc View Post
I
He could use some more seasoning this season in the AHL. But if push came to shove, he could go up. Just don't count on him being your offensive dman at this stage of his career.
Thankfully we don't need to put him in any situations he's not ready for yet. I imagine he's fairly low down the depth chart in terms of callups even if he has been Norfolks best defenseman. Which is good because he's better off developing in the AHL right now.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Paul, i think he COULD get a chance if someone will be called up. They didn`t wait on Fowler, and even though Cam had OHL or NHL, Lindholm imo could get a few games if he shows that he`s earned it. The Ducks may be willing to let him sniff the air a little bit, so he knows what it takes to be there.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Exit Dose

I think he'd be a good call up if one of the defensive players goes down.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Jesus Teemu

What an odd time to have a game.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:08 PM
AngelDuck

8 AM on a Wednesday.

Not the best time for me to tune into an AHL hockey game.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Hagged

This definitely wasn't Lindholm's best game of the season and Vatanen seemed to skate in tar, but I just loved the Vatanen-Lindholm pairing at the end of the game when the goalie was pulled. They pass two times harder when they pass to each other than when they pass up the ice for the forwards.

Vatanen didn't show much offense than for the couple PPs, Lindholm for my surprise didn't show up much in defense. Vatanen played well positionally this time, didn't let anyone by and cut the passes that were possible, Lindholm didn't show up in good or bad except that he showed the better offense of the two. I'd say that Vatanen and Lindholm were still the best D today (with Guenin), Clark was the one I was disappointed with.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:57 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

i blame the loss on an 11 am game during the week, whos' moronic idea was that?

Old
11-08-2012, 02:15 AM
Exit Dose

I'm watching the archive of today's game. Holy ****, can we play every game in Bridgeport? The video quality is incredible.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:51 AM
Exit Dose

After the 1st:
- I think Vatanen may have picked up an injury when he collided with one of our players at center ice.
- Andersen let in a softy.
- This is the best game I've seen out of Maroon all year.
- Etem needs to polish his skating, but at least he's more active out there.

After the 2nd:
- Lindholm didn't notice a player that wound up slipping in behind him. Outside of that, he's made some good plays.
- The second and third goals we needed Andersen to come up with a save. Elkins had a giveaway that led to the third. I wouldn't call them soft, but he had a clear view on the second goal.
- If Holland maintains his two-way play by the time we have a season, then I have no doubts that he's coming up.
- Nice snipes by Etem and Palmieri. KP's goal was mostly him. Lasch did a good job to set up Etem.

After the 3rd:
- Lindholm really did get burned on that play. He just got stick handled around. He responded after with some physical play in the shifts that followed.
- Parent was good all game. I hope we keep him. He'd be a nice option to have as an injury call up.
- Clark had a great hit.
- Wagner looks like a nice fit with Holland and Palmieri. He's been a nice surprise.
- I'd say this was Etem's best game, particularly for his play in the third. He's making progress.
- That play by Vatanen was pretty bad. The only consolation is that Clark absolutely crushed him as he was shooting. Clark doesn't show it that much, but he has some good speed.

I think the big issue this year will be the rookie goalies. Neither of these guys are ready to steal games. Each needs a bit of polish.

I don't think we were that bad, but I feel we needed someone to rise to the occasion. The two rookie D-men looked like rookies today. I don't think either demonstrated any underlying issue with their mistakes. It just looked like the expected growing pains.

Last edited by Exit Dose: 11-08-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old
11-08-2012, 04:57 AM
heksagon

I think last year a Finnish magazine listed Vatanen in a "top 5 flops" -list early in the season. In the end he won the Norris trophy of Sm-Liiga. So some struggling in the start is nothing new, but he needs to get more consistent. Maybe it has something to do with his confidence, possible injury, growing pains... I don't know. But it's clear he's not playing as well as he could right now.

Old
11-08-2012, 05:21 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post

I think the big issue this year will be the rookie goalies. Neither of these guys are ready to steal games. Each needs a bit of polish.

I don't think we were that bad, but I feel we needed someone to rise to the occasion. The two rookie D-men looked like rookies today. I don't think either demonstrated any underlying issue with their mistakes. It just looked like the expected growing pains.
Then again - it`s a developmental league, so it`s better than your teams prospects are at least trying to become catalysts, instead of giving it to some AHL veterans. I think we have a great mix of prospects and veterans down there, at least when the NHL isn`t back.

And did Wags played with Holland and Palmieri? I think i heard that in audio stream yesterday too, but wasn`t really sure. Wagner played on LW?

Old
11-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by heksagon View Post
I think last year a Finnish magazine listed Vatanen in a "top 5 flops" -list early in the season. In the end he won the Norris trophy of Sm-Liiga. So some struggling in the start is nothing new, but he needs to get more consistent. Maybe it has something to do with his confidence, possible injury, growing pains... I don't know. But it's clear he's not playing as well as he could right now.
He had also a slow start the year before that... so no worries... new league and new game... he'll get there.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:42 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Then again - it`s a developmental league, so it`s better than your teams prospects are at least trying to become catalysts, instead of giving it to some AHL veterans. I think we have a great mix of prospects and veterans down there, at least when the NHL isn`t back.

And did Wags played with Holland and Palmieri? I think i heard that in audio stream yesterday too, but wasn`t really sure. Wagner played on LW?
I agree. I'm not expecting these guys to be finished products.

They move in a bunch of different guys on that line. I think I saw Maroon in there for most of the first half. Smith-Pelly had a shift or two there. Etem was on it at the very end. I think they just use that spot to give the younger guys some time with polished players(for the AHL).

I can't remember if he was at RW or LW. I want to say RW. It didn't help that Palmieri seemed to be everywhere.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Admiral Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
He had also a slow start the year before that... so no worries... new league and new game... he'll get there.
No worries he'll get there, In this NHL you only get so many chances to "get there"/ Look at all the guy on this team who are older and didnt "get there" for very long, One thind the AHL does is show your strengths and expose your weakness. I see he is 21 going on 22, The ducks have a defenseman who is 18 going on 19,. He is already "there"

Old
11-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Carelton CA

Line combinations need to be looked at. Not sure where Etem belongs in this mix. The Line of Lasch, Elkins and Etem have had 2 good games in 9 may be time to mix that up. I'm thinking its time to get him off of that line and maybe on a line opposite DSP with McMillan or Wagner in the middle. At some point Rosehill needs to come out of the line up for a stretch. I know he's there for protection but having him on a line just drags down the production. Goals have been hard to come by with the combinations we've had other than the Palmieri and Holland combo.

Put Maroon back with Holland and Palmieri and have him clog up the front of the net to create more space for those two. Also, the first PP seems to be generating goals and scoring chances. The 2nd PP is very ineffective, needs to be revamped. I thought Caputi was ok on it, not sure why he was scratched yesterday.

PK has been really good this year. McMillan/DSP, Bodie/ Wagner and Elkins/Maroon have all done a great job up front on the PK. The D has had a mix of pairings but all have been successful in the PK role.

Goaltending is an issue. It seems they are giving up 1 soft goal every game. The 1st goal yesterday was a weak wrist shot that was defended perfectly and for some reason the goalie was also on his knees prior to the shot. Really a strange goal. This has to stop.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Elvs

How has McMillan looked this season? Only one point so far is underwhelming.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Al View Post
No worries he'll get there, In this NHL you only get so many chances to "get there"/ Look at all the guy on this team who are older and didnt "get there" for very long, One thind the AHL does is show your strengths and expose your weakness. I see he is 21 going on 22, The ducks have a defenseman who is 18 going on 19,. He is already "there"
So are you saying Vatanen already knows the NA game after 9 games and this is it or are you just mocking my post?

Closed Thread