HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

THN: Brampton Battalion relocation proves Toronto isn't a hockey town

Old
11-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Swarez

vCash: 500
Toronto is a big event town, if there is no buzz or media presence for something people don't show up. Even a couple years ago when the world jr's were in Buffalo there were bus groups from Toronto that went down- and were sold out, I looked into going on a bus and had to drive because the bus' were sold out.

I grew up in Mississauga, and no one ever talked about the jr. team, even though I played hockey in rink across the street. it was all leafs, why follow 2nd tier when leafs are on TV. This was back when Don Cherry owned the team, and he was always at our rink talking to the kids, talking about his team, no one cared.

I know Oshawa does well, but it is much more of a blue collar town and has more of an identity of being its own city (even though it is part of GTA) which is why they probably support the generals more than Brampton/Mississauga do there jr teams.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:20 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Toronto is not a junior hockey town because we have 3 other professional sports teams in the city. Go to Swift Current or Moose Jaw or Belleville...it's the only thing going for them in those towns. Toronto is a hockey town, but with other professional league options junior hockey is just not big enough here to hold any weight in the city. I'm a born and raised Torontonian and I'd rather go to a Jays game, a Raptors game, an Argos game over watching the Steelheads or go to Brampton and watch the Battalion.
Toronto is a Leafs town - always has been. They don't support the Marlies worth a damn even when there is no other option available (attendance of 6,000 is a joke), and don't know junior hockey exists, unless it's the World Juniors and then it's only because it's "the place to be". Right now the Jays, Leafs, Rock, and Toronto FC aren't playing. The Raptors season just started, and the Argos season is winding down.

Quote:
Another good question is how many people in these small towns are just hockey fans and not sports fans? Do they follow the Raptors, do they follow the Jays, or is it junior hockey all year long?
Are you serious?

Well, us junior hockey fans follow other sports when Pa warms up the generator and we attach a real nice antenna to Ma's back kitchen.

For the record, most junior hockey fans I know are all round diehard sports fans. I can't believe that was a legitimate question...

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
It just sounds like people in Toronto honestly don't want to appreciate the best junior hockey there is to offer. Move it to a place where people appreciate these players and the game.
It sounds like people in Toronto have more activities to do rather than watch junior hockey to me. After the NHL, NBA, MLB, MLS, CFL i could name 100 other ways to spend an evening in Toronto. Junior hockey doesn't interest me

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:29 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
OP is reaching out there.

There are like 3-4 (OHL) junior teams within a 30 minute radius (don't forget all the countless junior A and midget teams too) of each other. Not even football teams in Europe could survive that. I personally don't want Toronto to get another NHL team, but the GTA area is one of the best hockey markets in the world.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:32 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

I'm not from Toronto and I've never been there, but I've spent all my life living in big cities and I think in a big city there's just a different mentality. You are a bit pampered and feel entitled to getting top options for everything. If you like hockey, you'd rather go once a year to the NHL team and watch them on TV otherwise than regularly go to a lesser team.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:34 PM
goalie311

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
London is where another NHL team needs to go. They're crazy about the OHL and they'll get a ton of fans from all of those other cities around there as well. It's also far enough to be out of both Leaf and Sabre territory

goalie311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:49 PM
shello
@WShello9

Been liking THN less and less this year. A big reason was just having the Steelheads 10 minutes down the road from Brampton, fans went to either or. With Brampton gone I expect the Steelheads attendance to go up now.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:55 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Um, have you lived in any other cities? I have, and Toronto absolutely blows them away in terms of the number of rinks, both indoor and outdoor.
Lol.

I have lived in Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Thunder Bay, Montreal and six years in Toronto so I think I'm qualified to make the assessment (and don't even get me started on the quality of play on the outdoor rinks)

Toronto is a distant, distant last place on all fronts by any measure adjusted for population.

Toronto is a terrible place to play or watch hockey.

It's distant even to US cities like Boston and the Twin Cities. The Boston area has all the big-league attractions that Toronto does yet it packs rinks for a dozen AHL and US college teams.

Acceptance is the first step to change, get on with it.

Last edited by BruinsBtn: 11-07-2012 at 02:04 PM.
BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
If anything, I'd modify the title to say that "GTA isn't a hockey area" or something similar.

Brampton isn't Toronto, and the GTA is a pretty wide ranging area as colchar has been stating.

With that said, I think that Toronto is more of an NHL city. We've had trouble putting people in the seats at Ricoh (though the Marlies have been pretty poor up until recently). It looks like the undying loyalty for hockey does not extend past the Leafs.
I think the losing culture is at least, a partial factor. As you said, the Marlies have been lackluster until recently. And we all know the endless Leaf woes. That is bound to have an impact on people's overall interest. I know when Vancouver lost to Boston, it was difficult to get back into the game again. High expectations met with disappointment is never good.

When the Leafs are playoff bound. It may up the excitement all around.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:05 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Been liking THN less and less this year. A big reason was just having the Steelheads 10 minutes down the road from Brampton, fans went to either or. With Brampton gone I expect the Steelheads attendance to go up now.
THN have been irrelevant for awhile IMO.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:08 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Brampton is in the GTA. (Greater Toronto Area)

St. Mike's had to move from Toronto to Mississauga (Which is also in the GTA) and they're still second last in attendance, only ahead of Brampton.

Don Cherry's Mississauga Ice Dogs had to leave.

The Roadrunners lasted 1 season in Toronto.

The Marlies attendance has been lousy since returning to Toronto a few years ago.
The Road Runners only lasted 1 season cause the 06 lockout happened and Oilers moved the Road Runners to Edmonton.

11-07-2012, 02:09 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

No matter what anyone says the Maple Leafs are #1 in Toronto and yes we are a Hockey town. If that wasn't true why is the Hockey Hall Of Fame located in Toronto?

Anyway after the Maple Leafs the rankings then go Blue Jays, Marlies, Raptors, Argonauts and maybe the Toronto Rock who have won 6 National Lacrosee League Championships since 1999. So I guess that depends on what sports teams you like after the Maple Leafs.

Just because the Battalion didn't work out in Brampton is no reason to blame Toronto and let's be honest if the person who wrote this story didn't use Toronto in the title since it gets everyones attention, would anyone even care about it?

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:11 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
The Road Runners only lasted 1 season cause the 06 lockout happened and Oilers moved the Road Runners to Edmonton.
I always thought it was stupid that the Oilers had their AHL team in the Leafs territory. The only time people actually went to their games is when the St. Johns Maple Leafs came to town because everyone wanted to watch the Leafs prospects.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:12 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
THN have been irrelevant for awhile IMO.
Noticed it in 07 with some of the way they were answering the fan mail they put in the magazine, and how they were making fun of them. Plus the past fantasy hockey issue for at least half of their player descriptions and reasoning was "player X won't score since he doesn't shoot".

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:14 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I always thought it was stupid that the Oilers had their AHL team in the Leafs territory. The only time people actually went to their games is when the St. Johns Maple Leafs came to town because everyone wanted to watch the Leafs prospects.
After Montreal shared then stole Hamilton we were just glad to have out own team.

The Head Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Toronto has a really loyal fanbase for NHL hockey. They haven't faired so well in supporting the OHL teams in the GTA nor the Marlies.

Eugene Melnyk (Sens owner) either owned or still owns the Ice Dogs. When they hosted the Memorial Cup in 2011, he couldn't sell as many tickets as he hoped. It's actually funny. Sens insiders got an email with special deals for Memorial Cup tickets because they couldn't sell out.

That being said, it's hard to argue against Toronto being a hockey town. Even though they don't support the AHL or OHL in the area too much, they still sell out every home game despite not making the playoffs since 2004 and having the highest ticket prices in the league.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
The battalion name/colors and mascot are really lame. No surprise it didn't take off.

You need something catchy so the kids drag their parents to the arena.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:08 PM
smitty10

Unfortunately, Brampton's demographics (first generation immigrants from Asia) aren't really good for hockey. Add that to being at least a 40 minute drive from Toronto there's no wonder Torontonian's don't flock to the games. Plus, with a team in Mississauga (west), Barrie (north) and Oshawa (East), people from around the GTA have more than enough junior hockey to watch. If you add the NHL, AHL, MLB, NBA, CFL, NLL, MLS, independent baseball's Maple Leafs and a few Bills (NFL) games each year, there's a reason that the Battallion were neglected. They just didn't fit into the market or the demographics of their area, unfortunately. North Bay will enjoy the team far more than Brampton/Toronto did.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:30 PM
NeverGoingToWin

What is the point of this thread and Cox article? Do people really think non-support for non-NHL teams should factor into whether Toronto would support another NHL team? That is a pretty stupid idea.

NeverGoingToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
First off they operated during the 2003/04 AHL season. Second there was an AHL lockout?

They left because their attendance was poor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Roadrunners

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...h.php?tmi=8505

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLeafsTFCfan View Post
What is the point of this thread and Cox article? Do people really think non-support for non-NHL teams should factor into whether Toronto would support another NHL team? That is a pretty stupid idea.
Cox article?

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:56 PM
CanuckLuck

huge city in canada isn't a hockey town because one of the 6 junior hockey teams in the area has failed....how compelling.

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:02 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLeafsTFCfan View Post
The point is this exactly... look at the discussion it generated on here. His job is to get readers

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
It just sounds like people in Toronto honestly don't want to appreciate the best junior hockey there is to offer. Move it to a place where people appreciate these players and the game.
Junior hockey isn't appreciated here because we have PRO leagues and teams. For people in the West asking these questions and making these remarks about appreciation and Toronto isn't a hockey town I just have this to say, move here and live here for a few years and you'll start to understand the amount of activities and other sporting options citizens have. People downtown and even in the suburbs aren't going to go spend their hard earned money on JUNIOR HOCKEY! Why would we do that when we can go watch the Raptors play the Heat or the Jays playing the Red Sox or Yankees. Junior hockey is accepted and appreciated in towns that need it! Toronto doesn't need Junior Hockey and Torontonians don't need Junior Hockey. It doesn't mean we aren't a hockey town, we absolutely love hockey, but the junior kind doesn't work in the biggest city in the country.

Why would I go spend money on junior hockey player _insert name here_ when I go watch the PROS in the same area.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:18 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
First off they operated during the 2003/04 AHL season. Second there was an AHL lockout?

They left because their attendance was poor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Roadrunners

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...h.php?tmi=8505
They left because they were kicked out of the arena.

But yes, their attendance was indeed poor.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
huge city in canada isn't a hockey town because one of the 6 junior hockey teams in the area has failed....how compelling.
It's such a stupid comment...same question can be asked with Edmontonians who draw peanuts to the Oil Kings games. Edmonton is a hockey city but when you have a pro team, the junior team makes everything redundant. Why go to junior games when you have the Oilers.. It has nothing to do with people not liking hockey it's the fact that people in Toronto and Edmonton choose to spend their money on the pro teams. STARS + BETTER QUALITY OF PLAY = NO CHANCE FOR JUNIOR HOCKEY.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote