HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Gomez released by Alaska (UPD: Signs with Alaska Nov. 7)

Old
10-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Still quite a lot since he's not an NHL caliber player and we gave an exceptional 3rd liner plus a stud Defenseman for him. The cap hit is just the final piece of the disgustingly embarrassing puzzle.
Decent 2nd liner too. Hell Higgins played like a 1st liner with Koivu.

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 02:31 AM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
In my heart, he just didn't make the team.. lol!
If you want to see things that way, you can tell yourself that he isn't even the best Gomez in the game, because Jared Gomes is currently playing for the San Antonio Rampage (AHL) while Scott "failed" to make an ECHL roster.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
If Gomez earned $2.5M per how much of a backlash would he get?
Yes. A lot less of that.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:03 PM
canadiensnation
Go Habs Go

The reason why Gomez didn't make the roster is because he didn't want to. It's not because he isn't good enough.

I still don't like him though.

canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:15 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Is he going to play somewere during the lockout? Or maybe he feels he's good enough already and doesn't need ''practice''

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

The sad thing is, Gomez being cut by an ECHL team is entirely plausible.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Maxpac

I've kind of grown to the idea of having Gomez-Eller-Armstrong as our 3rd line next season (barring there is one of course...). Gomez would have a much more modest role playing with 2 shoot-first players and who can do the dirty work needed. It turned out to be EXCEPTIONNAL mangement by Bergeving to not panick and by him out last summer when everybody was calling for his head. Now we get 2 years less to pay a 66% salaray + a possible rollback or even better, a special clause that could reduce a buy-out.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 10:44 PM
capebretoncanadien

Gomez.....blargh.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:35 AM
Cyclones Rock

The cost of insuring his NHL contract for injuries he might suffer in the ECHL was probably prohibitive. It would probably cost him in the neighborhood of $30-50k per month to play for Alaska.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:45 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I've kind of grown to the idea of having Gomez-Eller-Armstrong as our 3rd line next season (barring there is one of course...). Gomez would have a much more modest role playing with 2 shoot-first players and who can do the dirty work needed. It turned out to be EXCEPTIONNAL mangement by Bergeving to not panick and by him out last summer when everybody was calling for his head. Now we get 2 years less to pay a 66% salaray + a possible rollback or even better, a special clause that could reduce a buy-out.
Exceptional managemenrt by keeping Gomez? They don't really have a choice. And the only people that wanted the habs to buy Gomez out were fans. Nothing exceptional here, GMs should never listen to fans, especially the fickle ones in montreal.

Everyone knows its stupid to buy Gomez out. In fact, Bob Mckenzie wrote an entire piece on how stupid such a move woud be and even implied that any management that would buy out Gomez should pretty much be canned for stupidity.

Exceptional management would be finding a way to trade Gomez. Good management would be to send him down. In the case of keeping him, well they didn't have a choice.

That aside, I wouldn't mind seeing Gomez on the wing with Eller and Armstrong.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 05:07 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Exceptional managemenrt by keeping Gomez? They don't really have a choice. And the only people that wanted the habs to buy Gomez out were fans. Nothing exceptional here, GMs should never listen to fans, especially the fickle ones in montreal.

Everyone knows its stupid to buy Gomez out. In fact, Bob Mckenzie wrote an entire piece on how stupid such a move woud be and even implied that any management that would buy out Gomez should pretty much be canned for stupidity.

Exceptional management would be finding a way to trade Gomez. Good management would be to send him down. In the case of keeping him, well they didn't have a choice.

That aside, I wouldn't mind seeing Gomez on the wing with Eller and Armstrong.
How is that good management? You or I could do that. If there are no better options within and I don't believe there are that would be an example of caving into the masses imo. Sending him down and signing someone else with a new cba in question would be precisely the opposite of good management.

Who knows, had things been different with the cba, MB might have considered the option and may be even been leaning towards it, but as we stand he has done exactly as he should have.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 05:09 AM
Et le But

Gomez would be most useful wearing the Youppi costume.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:44 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
How is that good management? You or I could do that. If there are no better options within and I don't believe there are that would be an example of caving into the masses imo. Sending him down and signing someone else with a new cba in question would be precisely the opposite of good management.

Who knows, had things been different with the cba, MB might have considered the option and may be even been leaning towards it, but as we stand he has done exactly as he should have.
You're right my mistake. Though I would say sending him down would be good management if the cap space was absolutely needed for something much better and much more important to the team.

Last edited by Andy: 10-15-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
lol I want to hear the explanation of how not sending him down would be good management.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Only thing Gomez is gonna be good for this season is helping some scrub team make the salary floor.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
Only thing Gomez is gonna be good for this season is helping some scrub team make the salary floor.
Gomez for Kabanov or Niederreiter?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Roulin

IMO if there's a season, it will be under a CBA close to the league's latest proposal, and if that happens, we are stuck with Gomez. It's bad, but not as terrible as some make it out to be. Money aside, I don't think we have enough good forwards to force him out of the top 12 anyway. I could see a Palushaj-Gomez-Armstrong 4th line doing an ok job.

There are teams with lifetime contracts (Philly, Chicago, Nashville...) who could suffer worse consequences than the Habs if something like this CBA is signed.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Paul Dipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
Especially if rookie bonuses no longer count on the cap

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Gomez would be most useful wearing the Youppi costume.
Only if you wanted a lazy Youppi that didn't perform.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Idiocy is back in full force I see.

I miss hockey.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 01:01 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Idiocy is back in full force I see.

I miss hockey.
What are you talking about? I didn't see Gomez come off the plane yet...

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
IMO if there's a season, it will be under a CBA close to the league's latest proposal, and if that happens, we are stuck with Gomez. It's bad, but not as terrible as some make it out to be. Money aside, I don't think we have enough good forwards to force him out of the top 12 anyway. I could see a Palushaj-Gomez-Armstrong 4th line doing an ok job.

There are teams with lifetime contracts (Philly, Chicago, Nashville...) who could suffer worse consequences than the Habs if something like this CBA is signed.
If they take away the ability to send big contracts to the AHL they pretty much HAVE TO allow buyouts with no cap hits, which is what would happen to Komisarek Gomez Connolly Redden and others.

It's those 10-12 year contracts where it would hurt teams.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
The Alaska Aces have signed NHL star forward Scott Gomez to a standard player contract, Head Coach Rob Murray announced on Wednesday. Gomez attended training camp this season with the Aces, but has not played in the regular season. He will make his season debut next week when the Aces return home to host the Colorado Eagles on November 14, 16, and 17.
http://www.alaskaaces.com/news/aces/...igns-with-aces

Old
11-07-2012, 04:23 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
How much will he make?

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
How much will he make?
I don't know exactly but all the NHL players currently playing in the ECHL are being paid very little money compared to their NHL salaries.

Quote:
What is the salary cap in the ECHL?

The weekly salary cap for 2012-13 is $12,400 and the weekly salary floor is $8,900.

What is the minimum salary for an ECHL player?

Teams are required in 2012-13 to pay rookie players a minimum salary of $380 per week and returning players a minimum salary of $425 per week. A returning player is classified as a player who appeared on a team’s season-ending or playoff roster or who has played in 25 or more professional hockey games.
http://www.echl.com/faq's-s12377

Gomez's weekly salary (52 weeks) was 145 000$ last year...