HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Thread: Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Only reason I never bring up JVR is I doubt Burke wants to move him. If we can do this, I'm all for it. Put whatever protection you want on that first.
This is really interesting, essentially for Leaf fans, that equates to Schenn and a protected 1st for Schnieder and Schroeder.....not sure what to say because i think we won with JVR in a landslide.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:08 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I wouldn't. JVR isn't worth nearly as much as Schneider. Sub Schneider for Luongo and I do it.
Sure you would, but TO wouldn't.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Well, I wouldn't. If we're trading both Schneider and Schroeder, I'd want Gardiner+1st++
Yeah, Schneider isn't worth that and Schroeder has little value outside this organization. Getting JVR would be filling one of the few holes we have and a first is always excellent. At most you could try to pull a center, probably Connolly, into the equitation but that is about it.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Listen Y2K....oh,wait.
Never said it wasn't one sided, but I'm extremely reluctant to let go of Schneider for anything less than an overpayment.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Come on. If Schneider goes to the Leafs I'd expect Kessel back for one. And if it's detroit giving up a player try Zetterberg
Then ready yourself for disappointment now.

Kessel is far more valuable than Schneider and Zetterberg has absolutely no business in this discussion. You bring in a player of his caliber and we're adding to Edler by the ton. Much as I hate the rhetoric from the main board. There is some truth to claims Schneider wouldn't bring back a king's ransom. While his return would be excellent, otherwise he stays. We have to be realistic. Zetterberg is not realistic.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Never said it wasn't one sided, but I'm extremely reluctant to let go of Schneider for anything less than an overpayment.
Fair enough.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Ah, but there is a method to my madness. If we could pry a top end prospect like Gardiner or Rielly from Toronto. We could flip them to another team, who can address our needs. One such example would be Bobby Ryan or one of Anaheim's big two if they cannot resign both. Hell, perhaps Edmonton would be enticed to move Yakupov. Yes, we would have to add but, there will be many more teams willing to deal for a high ceiling defenseman in comparison to a goaltender.
Oh, very good. I like it. The players are simply 'pawns' in the hands of a good GM (fan). I think I need some spicy sauce on that fresh meat.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Scurr

Lu, Ballard (Detroit has a history with turning around that careers of older players + beggars can't be choosers), Raymond

for

Franzen, Howard

They take on cap, so they get an extra player. Trading Lu for a player with a similar contract makes a ton of sense.

Howard

for

Bozak, Blacker

Toronto gets a goalie with some experience without giving up a ton of youth. We get someone to compete for the 3rd line centre spot and some much needed RHD depth on the farm.

Be gentle.

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows or Franzen
Higgins/Kesler/Franzen or Burrows
Booth/Schroeder or Bozak/Hansen
Manny/Lapierre/Kassian
Ebbett/Weise

We'd need a 6th defensemen but it would open up some cap room.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Lu, Ballard (Detroit has a history with turning around that careers of older players + beggars can't be choosers), Raymond

for

Franzen, Howard

They take on cap, so they get an extra player. Trading Lu for a player with a similar contract makes a ton of sense.

Howard

for

Bozak, Blacker

Toronto gets a goalie with some experience without giving up a ton of youth. We get someone to compete for the 3rd line centre spot and some much needed RHD depth on the farm.

Be gentle.
Detroit would want an established dman coming back if they traded Franzen. The difference between Howard and Luongo is smaller than Franzen and Ballard. A 3-way with Gunnarsson going to Detroit might make them more inclined. I once put an idea up like this:

To Vancouver: Franzen, Det 1st

To Toronto: Howard

To Detroit: Macarthur, Gunnarsson, Luongo

Old
11-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:

for

Franzen, Howard

Howard

for

Bozak, Blacker

Be gentle.

Manny/Lapierre/Kassian
Ebbett/Weise

Detroit says no. Nothing they get back makes up for the loss of Franzen, while the upgrade in net simply is not worth it. The only way they both Franzen is if a top defenseman; prospect or otherwise, is involved somehow.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Detroit would want an established dman coming back if they traded Franzen. The difference between Howard and Luongo is smaller than Franzen and Ballard. A 3-way with Gunnarsson going to Detroit might make them more inclined. I once put an idea up like this:

To Vancouver: Franzen, Det 1st

To Toronto: Howard

To Detroit: Macarthur, Gunnarsson, Luongo
No way we should be getting Franzen and a 1st for Lu.

I also feel like Franzen + Howard for Lu, Ballard, Raymond is a much better deal for them than including their 1st to get Macarthur and Gunnar. I guess it depends how you feel about those players. Ballard and Raymond aren't prefect but they suit a possession style game.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Detroit says no. Nothing they get back makes up for the loss of Franzen, while the upgrade in net simply is not worth it. The only way they both Franzen is if a top defenseman; prospect or otherwise, is involved somehow.
If Detroit doesn't make some kind of move, they're going to be old and terrible imo. They don't have the kind of team that can control shot differential every game and win with marginal goaltending anymore. I'm not a big Howard fan, I'm not sure they are either.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:

I also feel like Franzen + Howard for Lu, Ballard, Raymond is a much better deal for them than including their 1st to get Macarthur and Gunnar. I guess it depends how you feel about those players. Ballard and Raymond aren't prefect but they suit a possession style game.
Age, contract: Luongo = Franzen
Skill: Luongo >> Franzen

Franzen + late 1st is fair value.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Alflives

Quote:

Be gentle.

Manny/Lapierre/Kassian
Ebbett/Weise

The Canucks need a number one defenceman.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Alflives

Quote:

Why are Canuck fans always trading away Raymond and Ballard? Raymond is a 20 min/game top six forward who is responsible defensively and kills penalties. Ballard is a #3/4 defense-man who can play top two pairing when needed. They each fill important roles on the Canucks. They are not so easily replaced.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
The Canucks need a number one defenceman.
You mean franchise defenseman....

We need a scorer first and foremost.

11-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Age, contract: Luongo = Franzen
Skill: Luongo >> Franzen

Franzen + late 1st is fair value.
Big, consistent scorer in the regular season and playoffs... I think you're really underestimating the Mule.

Quote:
Why are Canuck fans always trading away Raymond and Ballard? Raymond is a 20 min/game top six forward who is responsible defensively and kills penalties. Ballard is a #3/4 defense-man who can play top two pairing when needed. They each fill important roles on the Canucks. They are not so easily replaced.
I agree with you, I'm not trying to dump them. I think Detroit sees the value in them where other teams may not and you have to give to get.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Big, consistent scorer in the regular season and playoffs... I think you're really underestimating the Mule.

I agree with you, I'm not trying to dump them. I think Detroit sees the value in them where other teams may not and you have to give to get.
I see. Detroit being a smart and successful franchise tries to acquire players like these. Whereas other franchises (not mentioning any names, but we all know which one specifically) does not see these types of players as valuable. I like your thinking that Raymond and Ballard have good value in trade as assets.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:58 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:

I think you're really underestimating how good Luongo is in the playoffs too.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Scurr

Quote:
I think you're really underestimating how good Luongo is in the playoffs too.
Luongo has played 11 playoff series for the Canucks. Five of those have been sub .900 save percentages. That's all I have to say on that matter.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Alflives

Quote:
You mean franchise defenseman....

We need a scorer first and foremost.
You certainly do enjoy pushing buttons. I must strongly disagree with your sentiment.

The difference in improvement to the team is the issue. Clearly the Canucks are forward rich. In the last 3 seasons they have Two Art Ross, One Heart, and One Selke winner in their top six. Hence, forward rich. The defense, on the other hand, lacks top end talent. Therefore, adding another top forward makes less improvement to the team than adding the #1 defense-man.

We have absolutely zero influence over what the Canucks will do, but it is an enjoyable debate all the same.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:22 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
You certainly do enjoy pushing buttons. I must strongly disagree with your sentiment.

The difference in improvement to the team is the issue. Clearly the Canucks are forward rich. In the last 3 seasons they have Two Art Ross, One Heart, and One Selke winner in their top six. Hence, forward rich. The defense, on the other hand, lacks top end talent. Therefore, adding another top forward makes less improvement to the team than adding the #1 defense-man.

We have absolutely zero influence over what the Canucks will do, but it is an enjoyable debate all the same.
The Canucks playoff problems have stemmed from a lack of scoring. I don't see how listing a few regular season accomplishments changes that.

We have several defensemen who could be considered number 1s (top 30 in the league), but none of whom I would consider franchise defensemen (top 5-10).

Old
11-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
If Detroit doesn't make some kind of move, they're going to be old and terrible imo. They don't have the kind of team that can control shot differential every game and win with marginal goaltending anymore. I'm not a big Howard fan, I'm not sure they are either.
While true, I get the feeling they are willing to ride the sails, so to speak. Their prospect pool is relatively solid and most fans seem content with Howard. Personally, I see him good but not consistently chart topping by any means. Besides, acquiring Lu ages them in net. Not to mention Detroit never buys high on goalies.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
I include them in some prospects because they are expandable. Raymond is admittedly a throw given his horrendous season but Ballard could pick a second from a desperate team. Alas, that description does not fit Detroit now. Perhaps, at the deadline however no one is going to pay much for either of them.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:32 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:

The Canucks would be significantly better with a top 6 forward rather than a top 4 defenseman. Trophies aside, the Canucks most glaring weakness is a suitable top 6 forward to play with Kesler and Booth. this player would improve the team more than any other position.

Closed Thread