HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): The "Ruf"fled Offseason Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Robbieb7

vCash: 500
Who knows what they will do this offseason, and i'm excited to find out.
First off, say no to Bourn and Hamilton. My preference would be to trade for Peter Bourjos. He would supply us with great speed and defense while having some upside at the plate, and is only 25. Angles have Trout so he could come relatively cheap, I would say it would cost us what we got for Victorino at most, Angles could use some bullpen arms in which we have. Upton would be my 2nd choice. For the other outfield positions I would wait it out and see if we can get Melky or someone else for cheap if they don't trust Brown or Ruff. For 3rd base i'd bring in a guy like Keppinger as a platoon with Fransden. Lastly, I would bring in a proven setup man, would prefer Madson or Mike Adams.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:56 AM
pelts35.com

Just heard yesterday that the Reading Phillies are re-branding with a new team name and colors. For a team that draws very well I'm a little surprised at this.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:50 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Just heard yesterday that the Reading Phillies are re-branding with a new team name and colors. For a team that draws very well I'm a little surprised at this.
That is weird, but money makes the world go round I guess.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:09 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
That is weird, but money makes the world go round I guess.
It does, that's why I'm surprised that a successful team would spend the money that goes along with re-branding.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Prongo
Beer

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/a...n-trade-110712

Quote:
Major-league sources, however, say the team is again engaged in active discussions about Upton, and one estimates the chances of him playing elsewhere next season are "80-20."
Phillies should go get this kid right now. Trade what you need too, the kid is a stud.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/a...n-trade-110712

Phillies should go get this kid right now. Trade what you need too, the kid is a stud.
Seems like they want a similar age / ceiling player in return. Not sure the Phillies are in a position to make that happen.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Seems like they want a similar age / ceiling player in return. Not sure the Phillies are in a position to make that happen.
Come on we have Dom Brown! Just market him right and make em believe he is the next Griffy. Amaro can get it done. I will admit I don't know much about our prospects, but is there anyone they would be interested in?

Old
11-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Come on we have Dom Brown! Just market him right and make em believe he is the next Griffy. Amaro can get it done. I will admit I don't know much about our prospects, but is there anyone they would be interested in?
Well, in the article, they suggested an Elvis Andrus like player. We don't have anyone like that.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:54 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
A lot of decent prospects. No studs.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
A lot of decent prospects. No studs.
With the prospects we have, do you honestly think we could land Upton?

Old
11-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Not with our prospects, I assume.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:42 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
IDK. I get the sense with Upton, that they just want to get rid of him. His big money is starting to kick in. Of course they are going to want to get the best value for him, but they may take quantity over quality similar to the Gio Gonzlez trade. In that case, they have the pieces to do a deal like that. But is it worth gutting the system again?

Old
11-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
IDK. I get the sense with Upton, that they just want to get rid of him. His big money is starting to kick in. Of course they are going to want to get the best value for him, but they may take quantity over quality similar to the Gio Gonzlez trade. In that case, they have the pieces to do a deal like that. But is it worth gutting the system again?
Justin Upton is a pretty damn good young player. The key word is young. We can get him for three more years and hopefully he continues his track record sign him up again. We really need to get younger, but still contend with the pitching we have, he could be perfect for this team.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:16 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Justin Upton is a pretty damn good young player. The key word is young. We can get him for three more years and hopefully he continues his track record sign him up again. We really need to get younger, but still contend with the pitching we have, he could be perfect for this team.
He's one of the most talented players in the league, no doubt. I'm a big fan. I honestly don't know what Arizona's plans are. They already traded away Chris Young. Wonder if they would stick Upton back in CF?

Old
11-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/magelb/status/266340618282868736

Quote:
Amaro said he's talked trades and signings. Would prefer to add via free agency, he said.
We know this means he is looking to make a blockbuster.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

What's the ETA on our pitching prospects showing up in the majors? Another 2 seasons?

Old
11-08-2012, 12:01 PM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
What's the ETA on our pitching prospects showing up in the majors? Another 2 seasons?
I'll assume you only are concerned about the 2 high ceiling starters - both of whom I think have #2 starter potential. I'll also assume that you know how volatile baseball prospects are and take any assessment of them with an appropriate grain of salt.

Jesse Biddle just turned 21 and has succeeded at every level he has pitched at in the Phillies org - 2010 in A: 133 IP, 1.28 WHIP, 2.98 ERA; 2011 in A+: 142.7 IP, 1.28 WHIP, 3.22 ERA. He'll most likely break camp in AA and have a full season there to prove himself. A very optimistic scenario is that he could be seeing spot start call-ups in the back half of the 2014 season... a marginally less optimistic (but still very much so) is that he'll see those spot call-up starts in the back half of 2015 and have a shot in ST 2016 for a spot with the big club.

Trevor May just turned 23 and also just completed his first season in AA in which he struggled a bit. Normally, that would be a bit of a cause for concern for me, but May has a tendency to struggle in his first season in a new league and then come back strong after he adjusts ('09-'10 saw a .22 jump in WHIP in A and '10-'11 saw a 39 jump in WHIP in A+). Following this trend, he would have a strong AA season this coming year and then have a shot at breaking ST 2014 with the big club, but realistically probably only see a few spot starts in 2014 and then have a better shot in ST 2015.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
I'll assume you only are concerned about the 2 high ceiling starters - both of whom I think have #2 starter potential. I'll also assume that you know how volatile baseball prospects are and take any assessment of them with an appropriate grain of salt.

Jesse Biddle just turned 21 and has succeeded at every level he has pitched at in the Phillies org - 2010 in A: 133 IP, 1.28 WHIP, 2.98 ERA; 2011 in A+: 142.7 IP, 1.28 WHIP, 3.22 ERA. He'll most likely break camp in AA and have a full season there to prove himself. A very optimistic scenario is that he could be seeing spot start call-ups in the back half of the 2014 season... a marginally less optimistic (but still very much so) is that he'll see those spot call-up starts in the back half of 2015 and have a shot in ST 2016 for a spot with the big club.

Trevor May just turned 23 and also just completed his first season in AA in which he struggled a bit. Normally, that would be a bit of a cause for concern for me, but May has a tendency to struggle in his first season in a new league and then come back strong after he adjusts ('09-'10 saw a .22 jump in WHIP in A and '10-'11 saw a 39 jump in WHIP in A+). Following this trend, he would have a strong AA season this coming year and then have a shot at breaking ST 2014 with the big club, but realistically probably only see a few spot starts in 2014 and then have a better shot in ST 2015.
Yea Biddle has done very well, and so has Pettibone. I was thinking we might see Pettibone at the end of this year, depending on if he continues his success in AAA. I know that's early given his age, but I believe he's moved up a league every year he's been in the system. I was also thinking May and Colvin would get a look at the end of 2014 and then possibly in 2015, but I think Colvin has struggled.

It's also possible that Biddle's timing might be affected by how the others do, and how badly the team's need is for a starter. If May and Colvin struggle they might move Biddle up faster if he keeps up what he's doing.

All this stuff changes though from season to season. Look at Dom Brown, though I'm actually thinking...well hoping... he turns into something this year.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:00 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Within 2 years they should have a few knocking on the door. Ethan Martin (who some suggest will end up in the pen) looked very good in the games I saw w/Reading. Adam Morgan is another that was impressive in Reading and might not be that far away. The other 2 from the "big 3" that started last year in clearwater, Biddle and Austin Wright also had big years so it's going to be very interesting to see how they adjust to Reading next season.

I think Trevor May could go to AAA next season although repeating AA might not be a bad idea as he gets hurt leaving pitches up high.

Colvin struggled mightly in the games i saw at reading, perhaps they try him in the pen again as he seemed to pick it up after they moved him there last season in clearwater.

Out of the pen, I really like Lisalverto Bonilla, assuming he stays in the pen. Could see time with the phils next season at some point (although I hear they are looking at changing the roster size for September call ups, at the winter gm meetings)

Old
11-08-2012, 03:06 PM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Yea Biddle has done very well
He is by far the one I'm most excited about. He is a 6'4 kid that throws mid to low 90's and, from every thing I've heard, has 2 relatively polished breaking balls already.

Quote:
All this stuff changes though from season to season. Look at Dom Brown, though I'm actually thinking...well hoping... he turns into something this year.
Me, too. The musical chairs the Phillies played with him coupled with a bunch of unlucky injuries (usually right when he was hitting his stride at his respective level, too) are a recipe for dissapointment for a prospect. I am having doubts that he'll ever be the stud we had hoped, but I think he'll be an average to above average ML starter starting this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I think Trevor May could go to AAA next season although repeating AA might not be a bad idea as he gets hurt leaving pitches up high.
Yeah he does... gave up almost 2x HR/9 that Pettibone did last year in AA (and 2x BB/9 as well). Honestly, the only peripheral that keeps me high on the kid is his K/9 (>1 K:IP last year in AA).

Speaking of which, I kind of forgot Pettibone, didn't I? He'll probably see the majors before the other 2, maybe even some spot starts this season if he can continue his short success at AAA from last year. I just feel like its tough for a guy to succeed at the ML level when he can only strike out 2 batters ever 3 IP in the lower levels... if I had to guess, he is a #4ish starter potential with a good chance to make it, while May is a #2ish starter potential with a moderate chance to make it - and my massive homer guess is that Biddle is a #2 starter potential with a good chance to make it.

Speaking of prospects, how about Cody Asche? Apparently he is tearing up the AFL now after posting a .879 OPS in AA last year. Is he our 3B in 2014?

Old
11-08-2012, 03:34 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
Yeah he does... gave up almost 2x HR/9 that Pettibone did last year in AA (and 2x BB/9 as well). Honestly, the only peripheral that keeps me high on the kid is his K/9 (>1 K:IP last year in AA).

Speaking of which, I kind of forgot Pettibone, didn't I? He'll probably see the majors before the other 2, maybe even some spot starts this season if he can continue his short success at AAA from last year. I just feel like its tough for a guy to succeed at the ML level when he can only strike out 2 batters ever 3 IP in the lower levels... if I had to guess, he is a #4ish starter potential with a good chance to make it, while May is a #2ish starter potential with a moderate chance to make it - and my massive homer guess is that Biddle is a #2 starter potential with a good chance to make it.

Speaking of prospects, how about Cody Asche? Apparently he is tearing up the AFL now after posting a .879 OPS in AA last year. Is he our 3B in 2014?
May had a strange year as I saw him several times and there were nights he looked like he could dominate but then other nights where he was getting rocked. Gives up way too many homers for my liking but we'll see what next season brings for him.

Pettibone had a good year and he seems to know how to pitch but i'm not sure where he projects in the majors. Thought he looked good in AAA after the callup.

Asche has just killed it all year. Was lighting up high A but without much power, then after an adjustment period in AA he caught fire and now in the AFL he's been hitting the entire time.

Former 1st round pick Zach Collier is also doing well in the AFL from what I hear, will be interesting to see if he can turn into anything. Over in the VWL, Ruf, Galvis, Tyson Gillies, all appear to be doing well. What a year it's been for Ruf, and if Gillies can ever stay healthy it will be interesting to see what he can do as I really like what i've seen from him but he's got to be able to stay on the field.

Old
11-08-2012, 04:23 PM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
if Gillies can ever stay healthy it will be interesting to see what he can do as I really like what i've seen from him but he's got to be able to stay on the field.
I have been reading quite a bit about Gillies lately and I am starting to think that Hamster (his nickname due to all of his hamstring injuries) will never bite that injury bug. The jist what I read, was that his hearing impediment has a direct correlation with his hamstring pulls due balance issues.

I sincerely hope its not true, but it does make alot of sense.

Old
11-08-2012, 05:14 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I'd like baseball to be going on

11-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
I'd like baseball to be going on
Look at it this way, the Phillies have won more recently then the Eagles. So it's still kinda like baseball season.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
11-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Look at it this way, the Phillies have won more recently then the Eagles. So it's still kinda like baseball season.
That's quite depressing.

Closed Thread