HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Sakic 2012 HHOF Inductee

Old
06-26-2012, 08:23 PM
billybobjoe1881

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAvs View Post
Congrats Super Joe!

The Twisted Wrister.

I groaned out loud seeing his leg like that. That just shouldn't happen.

billybobjoe1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:16 PM
nhlfan9191

vCash: 500
Good for Super Joe!

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:35 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
sweetness, well deserved accomplishment for Sakic. one of the best of his era.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:10 AM
kchan9

Congrats Super Joe. U deserve it!

kchan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 08:34 AM
SuperJoe

vCash: 697
My favorite player of all time. He was the only reason I would go to Le Colisee de Quebec to watch the Nordiques during the lean years. I remember one night we lost to the Islanders 7-3 and Joe had the hat trick for us, the headline in the paper the next day was Islanders 7 Joe Sakic 3. He's a world class citizen and athlete. Gratz Super Joe

SuperJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Freudian
luck paper scissors

One of the greats of his generation and I don't think I have anyone (except snow clearing machinery) dislikes him.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 11:15 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
A leg should not bend like that. Mine certainly do not.
Sakic always said the secret behind his wrist shot was his leg power. My knees ache just looking at that picture... that's why he was in the NHL and I cheered from the couch. lol

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Bumping this thread.

HOF induction ceremony is on Monday.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Slightly OT but do you guys think Theo Fleury deserves to get in? I think the hall of fame requirements are too stringent, even Lindros isn't in there. Fleury was one of the best players of the 90s for sure and also probably the best undersized player in the modern era. I remember slightly seeing him when he played with us (and played well) and how he looked like an elite fwd. And if a guy like that can't get in then it's sad to think that a guy like Hejduk won't get in despite having twelve 20 goal+ seasons and will probably eclipse the 800 pts mark despite playing in the dead puck era and dead puck era 2.0. Also won a Richard, Olympic Gold, and Stanley Cup for those who look at hardware. I mean Hejduk has to be one of the "famous" players from the past decade and if Fleury won't make it then what hope does the Duke have. Same goes for Adam Foote, had to have been one of the best defensive dmen between the mid 90s/2000s and he for sure won't get in. Scott Stevens is the only defensive dman (became one around the mid 90s) I can think who was equal or better to Foote at that.

Btw funny pic I found of Fleury, Paul Kariya wasn't exactly tall so this is interesting:

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:16 PM
The Kingslayer

Man Fleury should've never left Denver. Cant wait to watch Sakic's speech.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Slightly OT but do you guys think Theo Fleury deserves to get in? I think the hall of fame requirements are too stringent, even Lindros isn't in there. Fleury was one of the best players of the 90s for sure and also probably the best undersized player in the modern era. I remember slightly seeing him when he played with us (and played well) and how he looked like an elite fwd. And if a guy like that can't get in then it's sad to think that a guy like Hejduk won't get in despite having twelve 20 goal+ seasons and will probably eclipse the 800 pts mark despite playing in the dead puck era and dead puck era 2.0. Also won a Richard, Olympic Gold, and Stanley Cup for those who look at hardware. I mean Hejduk has to be one of the "famous" players from the past decade and if Fleury won't make it then what hope does the Duke have. Same goes for Adam Foote, had to have been one of the best defensive dmen between the mid 90s/2000s and he for sure won't get in. Scott Stevens is the only defensive dman (became one around the mid 90s) I can think who was equal or better to Foote at that.

Btw funny pic I found of Fleury, Paul Kariya wasn't exactly tall so this is interesting:

As far as Lindros goes, he alienated a lot of people during his NHL career. There was so much hype to begin with and he didn't even end up being better than ONE of the guys he was traded for. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I know...if it wasn't for the injuries...blah,blah,blah. Well, how about this, I blew out my knee at age 12 and if it wasn't for that, I would have doubled all of Gretzky's records. Bottom line is, those injuries DID happen and Lindros wasn't "The Next One" he was just "Another One" and no, he doesn't deserve to get in. Zero cups. One Hart trophy during a shortened season, one appearance in finals where they got swept. Nothing to write home about.

Do you ALSO remember when Fleury was part of the Avs and couldn't make it to GAME #6 (iirc) versus Dallas in the Western Conference Finals due to *ahem* personal problems? It's no wonder they let him sign elsewhere and right at that time, his career started going down the toilet. The Avs would have been WAYYYY better off having kept Regehr and not traded him off for Fleury as a rental but I guess they couldn't have known what was going to happen.

IF Fleury had stayed clean from being traded all the way to the end of his career, he would have been a no-brainer for the hall of fame since he would have probably an extra 300 points to add to his totals.

I think he eventually does get in at some point, Lindros probably will too, not that he'd get my vote, I still hate that jagoff.

Last edited by Bender: 11-08-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Regardless of whether or not you like Lindros, he was one of the best players in the 90s. And that's a pretty damn good accomplishment if you consider the amount of star players in the 90s, that's also why I don't like the 4 player max rule (the amount of stars fluctuates and it was quite high in that period, it would be high now too if it weren't for lockouts and players getting too banged up to have lengthy career and defense being so tight).

Anyways, Eric Lindros had a pretty big legacy in the game if you watch some clips with him, there just weren't any players of that size who could throw around their body especially when he started out and skate that way and put up that many points. I know there are big players who have great stats but Lindros was one of a kind when he came out. Fleury I regard in the same way but the opposite, he has to be the best small sized player to play the game in the modern era. And post-career, both have done a lot for hockey....Lindros for concussion research and Fleury for abuse though I think their on-ice careers were remarkable enough for them to get in even if you don't consider injury or off-ice related shortened careers (which btw they do consider for other players so why not these ones).

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Hockeygirl81

Leafs fan here but I actually got the chance to be at the HHOF Legends game yesterday and I just wanted to say how great it was to see Joe on the ice. It really made me miss the days of Sakic and Sundin...maybe I just miss that hockey more because my Leafs were actually half decent then lol but I just miss some of the character the league had then. There was a good representation of Sakic fans there yesterday and he got a very loud applause...you should be really proud to have had such an outstanding player on your team for such a long time He's truly a class act!

Hockeygirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Freaky Styley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7l6a1r5IPY
sums up his career pretty nicely, way to go Joe! will always be my favorite player of all time

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:21 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

As fans of the Avs, we were just really lucky to have a guy like Sakic be the captain of this team. We can only dream of having a player and leader come close to replicating what Joe did for this organization.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote