HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Luongo Thread: Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2012, 05:34 PM
CanuckLuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
I include them in some prospects because they are expandable. Raymond is admittedly a throw given his horrendous season but Ballard could pick a second from a desperate team. Alas, that description does not fit Detroit now. Perhaps, at the deadline however no one is going to pay much for either of them.
Raymond's role on this team is constantly under-appreciated and misunderstood.

I think Raymond is a lot more valuable than a lot of Canuck nation would admit, but because we have a plethora of really solid forwards, Raymond sticks out like a sore thumb because fans expect him to score 30 goals. It's weird.

Admittedly he doesn't fit on our roster all that well, but does that mean we should treat him as expendable and use him as a throw in?

Old
11-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Not to mention Detroit never buys high on goalies.
True, but they've never had to. They've lived off controlling the play and dominating shot differential. Like I said, they are going to have a much harder time doing that minus Lidstrom and Stuart.

You also didn't even mention Ballard and Raymond. Canuck fans have largely given up on them, Detroit has a history of getting mileage out of these kinds of players.

Last edited by Scurr: 11-07-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old
11-07-2012, 05:39 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Luongo has played 11 playoff series for the Canucks. Five of those have been sub .900 save percentages. That's all I have to say on that matter.
In 2007 Luongo was the only player to show up.

In 2009 Luongo wasn't bad, but completely blew up in game 6 vs Chicago.

In 2010 Luongo was good (best ES SVP of any goalie to make it past round 1) but our Achilles heel was our team PK.

In 2011 Luongo was our Conn Smythe candidate.

In 2012 Luongo was our best player in the first two games.

11-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
In 2007 Luongo was the only player to show up.

In 2009 Luongo wasn't bad, but completely blew up in game 6 vs Chicago.

In 2010 Luongo was good (best ES SVP of any goalie to make it past round 1) but our Achilles heel was our team PK.

In 2011 Luongo was our Conn Smythe candidate.

In 2012 Luongo was our best player in the first two games.
Remember when you said you had the ability to be critical of Luongo? Not so much.

This is the difference between you and I. I can admit the twins haven't been good enough, have been too inconsistent in the playoffs and still be a huge fan of theirs whereas your undying love of Luongo leaves you defending him at every turn, no matter how ridiculous.

Last edited by Scurr: 11-07-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old
11-07-2012, 05:52 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
Remember when you said you had the ability to be critical of Luongo? Not so much.

This is really the difference between you and I. I can admit the twins haven't been good enough, have been too inconsistent in the playoffs and still be a huge fan of theirs whereas your undying love of Luongo leaves you defending him at every turn, no matter how ridiculous.
I think Luongo has brought far more good to the playoffs. He has struggled against Chicago and Boston, but when he is playing extremely well his play if often ignored.

And I think the twins have turned the post-season corner. Even in their short stint against LA last year, they were flat out dominant and I think LA had a collective exhale when they eliminated us because the Sedins were starting to heat up.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
I think Luongo has brought far more good to the playoffs. He has struggled against Chicago and Boston, but when he is playing extremely well his play if often ignored.
Why would he get a pass for a poor performance against those teams?

5 of his last 8 series with a sub .900 save percentage. Only 2 of his last 8 series have been over .903.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:11 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:

5 of his last 8 series with a sub .900 save percentage. Only 2 of his last 8 series have been over .903.
Against Boston in 2011, Luongo was one of the only players to actually show up. It also didn't help that his entire defense was badly injured.

Against Chicago in 2011 Luongo played well, but in the middle of the series he struggled a bit, as did the entire team. The team in front of him was so bad that people on here were talking about a lockerroom wide flu.

Against Chicago in 2010, Luongo was average. I do stress his ES SVP rank amongst goalies who made it past round 1 though, as you couldn't get better than Luongo in those playoffs.

In 2009 Luongo struggled against Chicago, and was the reason we lost in game 6.

In 2006 Luongo was the only reason we got past Dallas. He was also the only reason we didn't get swept by Anaheim, and actually gave us a chance to win.

In 2009 Luongo was great against St. Louis.

In 2010 Luongo played well against LA, but again I stress how poor our PK was.

In 2011 Luongo played excellent against Nashville and San Jose.

In 2012 Luongo was the only player to show up in games 1 and 2 against LA.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:15 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Grabovski's value is highest to the Leafs. Again, we have NEGATIVE depth in the center department. If we move Grabo, we are left with Bozak/McClement/Connolly/Steckel...does that look feasable to you?

You can drop the drama, nowhere have i said Bozak is a NHL #1C. Nowhere have i EVER compared Grabo to Getzlaf. All i have ever stated is their value to the LEAFS. I get Bozak is 3C to you, but within the Leafs roster...he is our 1. Sad, but true. Furthermore, even if i said "i'll give Grabo", you'd come back and say "add a 1st,Gardiner and Kadri because Luongo is the shizny!!"
I actually would take Grabovski straight up for Luongo. Yes, 1 for 1.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Scurr

You'd think the goalie didn't play on the PK Some people even say that your goaltender is your most important penalty killer

This time I mean it, I'm done. The stats speak for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Me too.

Last edited by Scurr: 11-07-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old
11-07-2012, 06:40 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:

Don't think I gave him a pass....I just said he's brought more good then bad. Unfortunately fans have a tendency to dwell on bad performances and ignore the good ones.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I'd probably ask for a 2nd as well, but yeah, Grabovski makes a great piece.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:50 PM
SunshineRays

Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype
Quote:
As @NYP_Brooksie reports, amnesty buyouts are now on the negotiating table at NHL labor talks. This has been rumored to be coming for years.
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
Quote:
"Amnesty buyout" essentially means a buyout that doesn't count against the cap. One time only deal. Came in after last lockout, too.
Very interesting. NYI and PHI immediately come to mind. Also gives Canucks leverage if Lu is being sticky with his NTC.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Don't think I gave him a pass....I just said he's brought more good then bad. Unfortunately fans have a tendency to dwell on bad performances and ignore the good ones.
Sometimes it's hard not to when you know Luongo saved the worst game of his career for the biggest one he's ever played. The Canucks played for the Stanley cup for the 1st time in 17 years and Luongo simply imploded before our eyes.

It was Bill Buckner like. Just didn't happen to be in game 7.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:54 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Very interesting. NYI and PHI immediately come to mind. Also gives Canucks leverage if Lu is being sticky with his NTC.
This would be huge if PHI could use their buy-out on Bryzgalov and get in on the Luongo bidding. They have a lot of nice pieces that could help us up front.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

I highly doubt teams will buy out contracts with close to 10 years on them. That's a lot of money for nothing in return.

Even if Philadelphia would be the ideal trade partner for the Canucks.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
that would be MASSIVE if happens.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:04 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I highly doubt teams will buy out contracts with close to 10 years on them. That's a lot of money for nothing in return.

Even if Philadelphia would be the ideal trade partner for the Canucks.
For a team like Philly, it wouldn't surprise me, they have $$ and are highly unpredictable. Bryz had a bad yr last season, is having a worse yr in the KHL, and Holmgren has made his feelings known about his goaltending. Bob Mckenzie has also reiterated that the Flyers would be ecstatic if Bryz stayed in Russia. This could be Holmgrens only opportunity to get rid of his contract.

NYI, I don't think they'd have the $$ to buy out $40M of his DiPietros contract. But you never know.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:10 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

I wonder how sold the Flyers are on keeping both Couturier and Schenn? I would be ecstatic with either one. Also would love to acquire Simmonds or Hartnell.

Or, if any of those above assets are not obtainable, something around Read, Laughton and a 1st round pick would intrigue me.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
I wonder how sold the Flyers are on keeping both Couturier and Schenn? I would be ecstatic with either one. Also would love to acquire Simmonds or Hartnell.

Or, if any of those above assets are not obtainable, something around Read, Laughton and a 1st round pick would intrigue me.
Voracek makes a lot of sense for us. Big bodied, playmaking RWer, he'd be an excellent fit for our 2nd line.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:02 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
If your dentist was great 7 times out of ten but AWFUL when he was doing something important, you'd remember too. If Luongo's "unfortunate incidents" didn't come on such a huge stage then fans wouldn't be so willing to remember.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:14 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
If your dentist was great 7 times out of ten but AWFUL when he was doing something important, you'd remember too. If Luongo's "unfortunate incidents" didn't come on such a huge stage then fans wouldn't be so willing to remember.
We have $12.2M tied up in two forwards who no-showed the SCF yet we hardly hear a peep out of people regarding them in comparison to the venom spewed towards Luongo.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:18 PM
The Optimist

vCash: 1258
Quote:
The stats speak for themselves.
You keep watching those stats. I'll actually watch the games and decide who has been good and who has been bad.

If it makes you feel better keep blaming Luongo for losing against LA last year even though his replacement fared no better.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:51 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I don't know why everyone is trying to convince me of Luongo's poor performances. I don't disagree they have happened. This is exactly my point though.... Lament lament lament. Rinse and repeat. On the big stage Luongo has also had some spectacular performances...too bad people's memories are so foggy.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Elbows of Bure

Quote:
We have $12.2M tied up in two forwards who no-showed the SCF yet we hardly hear a peep out of people regarding them in comparison to the venom spewed towards Luongo.
Excuses can be made for the Sedins and excuses can be made for Luongo. The problem with your allusion is that we don't have two .7 ppg playoff performers behind the Sedins, waiting to replace them. If we did, we could talk about trading them too... for more than the pittance people are offering here for Luongo.

Last edited by Elbows of Bure: 11-07-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: wc
Old
11-07-2012, 09:17 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows of Bure View Post
Excuses can be made for the Sedins and excuses can be made for Luongo. The problem with your allusion is that we don't have two .7 ppg playoff performers behind the Sedins, waiting to replace them. If we did, we could talk about trading them too... for more than the pittance people are offering here for Luongo.
Kinda makes it that much more important to get a scorer via Luongo trade doesn't it?

Closed Thread