Who will win the final forward spot

Old
11-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Are you really going to justify the Bruins losing to a bad Capitals team by using Ken Dryden and the Habs? Talk about hyperbole. The Canadiens won 10 cups in 15 years during that run. The vaunted Capitals were coming off nothing higher than a second round knockout after being the one seed 4 years running.
I'm not "justifying" anything. Simply pointing out that what SHOULD happen in sports is not always what DOES happen. If you expect what SHOULD happen to happen all the time, you're setting yourself up for either constant disappointment, or insanity.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Exactly. Caron needs to play with some consistency to justify sticking with the team. They've given him a slew of chances, yet he's been surpassed by other guys. It's now or never, despite him still being young.
I just don't think he is dynamic enough on that 3rd line to put the Bruins over the top.. I like him better than Pouliot.. but they need more offense on that line.

This team is basically unchanged since 2010 aside from that winger spot on the 3rd line. They won with Ryder, he got Pouliot off the scrap heap, and now I just don't think Caron has enough offense to help them.

Maybe a Knight or Spooner could push him, but in a short camp it will be tough.

In the end I still don't like their line combos. Too much redundancy with Lucic and Horton, and 2 quasi checking lines. I don't think Seguin should be burdened with Bergeron bailing on the offensive zone to catch up with his man.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:57 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I'm not "justifying" anything. Simply pointing out that what SHOULD happen in sports is not always what DOES happen. If you expect what SHOULD happen to happen all the time, you're setting yourself up for either constant disappointment, or insanity.
If you weren't justifying anything, why bring up an example of another time in Bruins history where a rookie goalie played well versus them in a playoff and ended their season?

Also, I contend that your example of Dryden was a very suspect choice since the Habs had won 4 out of the previous 6 cups before they knocked Boston out in 71. The Capitals were known for nothing more than being the top seed exiting early prior to that. So rookie goalies aside, that's pretty much where the similarities between the two teams ended.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Jdawg*
I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!!

My boy Jared Knight

Jdawg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
If you weren't justifying anything, why bring up an example of another time in Bruins history where a rookie goalie played well versus them in a playoff and ended their season?

Also, I contend that your example of Dryden was a very suspect choice since the Habs had won 4 out of the previous 6 cups before they knocked Boston out in 71. The Capitals were known for nothing more than being the top seed exiting early prior to that. So rookie goalies aside, that's pretty much where the similarities between the two teams ended.
There are a thousand examples I could cite, from the '71 Bruins/Canadiens to the '60 Pirates/Yankees. I just recall the '71 Bruins because I was a fan of the Bruins at that time. And the Bruins were flabbergasted that they lost that series. The particulars really aren't that relevant - what matters is the outcome.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:39 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
There are a thousand examples I could cite, from the '71 Bruins/Canadiens to the '60 Pirates/Yankees. I just recall the '71 Bruins because I was a fan of the Bruins at that time. And the Bruins were flabbergasted that they lost that series. The particulars really aren't that relevant - what matters is the outcome.
Again, there's a huge difference between losing to a team that had won 4 of the previous 6 cups (and been to the finals 5 of those years), and losing to the Capitals though. I get what you're saying about anything being possible in the playoffs too. While the loss in 71 was tough to take, the competition was far better. This past years loss to the caps wasn't even in the same stratosphere, IMO.

To bring this back on topic though, this team lost to a team they should have beaten handily because of two things. Lack of forward depth, and a sub par power play. Now we roll into this year (potentially) with that lack of forward depth still there, and a pp that will probably still be lacking. Whether or not Caron is the last forward on the roster or not, it does nothing to fix either problem. If anything, I'd prefer they give a shot to Knight or Spooner since they at least they have offensive upside.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:42 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mione134 View Post
If there wasn't a lockout, I would have said Knight.

now it's obviously going to go to Caron.
how'd the lockout change it for you?

Caron. Spooner will lose out on inexperience and the fact he's not as ready for a wing position at the NHL level when compared to Caron, and Knight needs a lot of seasoning in the AHL imo. Bourque is Bourque and would have to really surprise to take the spot

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Caron has been ready for years, played excellent for the most part last year, and his style of play is a Bergeron(extreme)-lite. Basically Claude's dream. He's also played great in the AHL.

It's basically his.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Morris Wanchuk

How is Bourque on the defensive side?

If they worried about Seguin getting pushed around, I can't see it helping Bourque

Old
11-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Montecristo

Surprised no other poster has been high on sauve making an impression. Im not ready to hand the job to Caron unless he develops some consistency which he hasn't been able to do in a small sample size in the ahl this year. Aside from his hat trick he has been pretty mediocre

Montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
Surprised no other poster has been high on sauve making an impression. Im not ready to hand the job to Caron unless he develops some consistency which he hasn't been able to do in a small sample size in the ahl this year. Aside from his hat trick he has been pretty mediocre
I will be excited about Sauve when he can stay healthy for a month.

If not he will stay among the other rookie camp legends.

Old
11-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Ratty

Quote:
I've been high on Sauve (other substances as well). I like his size, speed and willingness to mix it up.

But, as has been mentioned many times, he keeps getting hurt. Dude has a good skillset. Just like to see it on the ice more instead of in reviews.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:25 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Sauve has scored 4 goals I think, and overall does nothing poorly; he absolutely should get a shot imo. If he can stay healthy he's quite intriguing. He's a pretty big boy to believe it or not- solidly built and no slow down I've seen this year going for a puck or taking it along the wall.

I'd call him up to camp next week if there is one

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Montecristo

I have a feeling that sauve is going to stay healthy. Something in my gut tells me this is his year

Montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:17 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
I have a feeling that sauve is going to stay healthy. Something in my gut tells me this is his year
I'd love it, but I won't hold my breathe

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Krnage

Caron will get the final spot

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 05:15 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I've seen 4 Providence games and its a lock as far as I'm concerned- Caron and Krug the extra D; both have NHL skills- super impressed with Krug (wish I could have him put in the Delorean and sent back to the Lunch Pail Gang- exactly the missing ingrediant that team needed)

Caron could be very good
I don't want Krug in Boston as the 7th defenseman under any circumstance. I want the kid playing 3 games a week, and I don't care if it is Providence or Boston.

If it happens that Boston needs a 6th defenseman for an extended period than I am very ok wit Krug beng that guy, but not as a guy sitting in the pressbox.

JoeIsAStud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnage View Post
Caron will get the final spot
I saw him get a hat trick in Manchester , NH with the Providence B's. Jordan looked good.

I guess we will see....hopefully soon.

11-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Trap Jesus

I'd be surprised if it's not Caron. He's the best defensively and has some chemistry with the third line. I've been rooting for Spooner since we drafted him, but I think management will want to play it safe and keep him in Providence, even if he does have a lot of potential. He's the best bet after Caron though.

Trap Jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
As much as I believe it dangerous to say "it's so-and-so's spot to lose" I think the spot is going to Caron as it stands.

But Sauve is intriguing to me. He's leading scoring in Providence and his -1 is second to only Tardif among the team's leaders (and better-looking than Caron's -4). His element of speed may prove to be a more valuable asset to the Bruins than Caron's defensive responsibility.

I'd like to see both up and fighting for a spot on that third line. If like you say, this is Sauve's year to stay healthy, I'd like to see him have that opportunity in Boston.

Last edited by Mr. Make-Believe: 11-07-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
My argument was never about Holtby. It was about where the Capitals team stacked up versus Arty's choice of a habs team in the midst of a ridiculous run. The Habs may have rolled with a rookie in net in 71, but that team had been to the cup finals 5 times in the previous 6 years and won 4 cups. The caps didn't bring that type of cache with them. They were known for playoff chokes, as a matter of fact.

So to recap, I didn't say a discouraging thing about Holtby. I simply pointed out the vast difference between Arty's example of the Habs and the Caps.
It's a silly argument because we're not the 71 Bruins either.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:03 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
As much as I believe it dangerous to say "it's so-and-so's spot to lose" I think the spot is going to Caron as it stands.

But Sauve is intriguing to me. He's leading scoring in Providence and his -1 is second to only Tardif among the team's leaders (and better-looking than Caron's -4). His element of speed may prove to be a more valuable asset to the Bruins than Caron's defensive responsibility.

I'd like to see both up and fighting for a spot on that third line. If like you say, this is Sauve's year to stay healthy, I'd like to see him have that opportunity in Boston.
I feel for the kid. Unlike many here, I haven`t had the pleasure of watching him play in those times where he has remained healthy therefor, I don`t have the right to evaluate his play but comments here by those who have, often have me really pushing for the kid to stay healthy so I can selfishly see what he has and yes, increase camp competition.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

It's Caron's spot IMO. I personally would leave both Knight and Spoons in Providence all year unless we get hit by big time injuries

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:55 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
It's Caron's spot IMO. I personally would leave both Knight and Spoons in Providence all year unless we get hit by big time injuries
I loathe the idea of just giving him a spot, since he's been handed it before and done nothing to stick. I want him to play like every game/shift matters, and if he doesn't at least have the threat of being pushed, I doubt he will. Complacency and security for young players is not a good thing.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:00 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
I loathe the idea of just giving him a spot, since he's been handed it before and done nothing to stick. I want him to play like every game/shift matters, and if he doesn't at least have the threat of being pushed, I doubt he will. Complacency and security for young players is not a good thing.
Me too, I`m an admitted fanboy of Caron`s but a bigger fan of Bruin hockey and what or whom would make them a better team personel wise. If JC is outplayed in what will be likely a short camp, I suspect that CJ will give whomever outplayed him the first opportunity in the regular season to make his mark. If, that player at that time doesn`t play up to snuff, he`ll go back to JC.

I`d say he is the frontrunner based on how much Julien loves guys who play with the defensive discipline he does, but to hand him a spot without so much as looking at others? Nope

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote