HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Thread Part V: Locks, Cocks, Fox, and Box And Two Smoking Barrels Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2012, 07:29 PM
  #926
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,098
vCash: 500
Unless you major in a specialized field, college degrees are fairly useless these days anyway.

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 07:34 PM
  #927
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Unless you major in a specialized field, college degrees are fairly useless these days anyway.
I wouldn't go that far, but a Bachelors certainly doesn't get you as far as it used to.

EDIT - If any of you kiddies have questions about post-college life that isn't so glamorous, fire away, because that's what I'm living.

silverfish is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 07:41 PM
  #928
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I wouldn't go that far, but a Bachelors certainly doesn't get you as far as it used to.

EDIT - If any of you kiddies have questions about post-college life that isn't so glamorous, fire away, because that's what I'm living.
Bachelor's degrees is what I was alluding to. Lots of college grads out there that can't find work and end up accepting jobs you never needed a degree for in the first place.

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 07:43 PM
  #929
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Bachelor's degrees is what I was alluding to. Lots of college grads out there that can't find work and end up accepting jobs you never needed a degree for in the first place.
Underemployment certainly higher than anyone would like it to be

silverfish is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 07:44 PM
  #930
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,991
vCash: 500
I've always liked the Avs anyway.

Cresto is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 07:46 PM
  #931
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,991
vCash: 500
TCRF coming alive.

Cresto is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 08:01 PM
  #932
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 17,519
vCash: 500
This pretty much sums up the past 2 years of my life

http://imgur.com/ussdq

Tanner Glass is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 08:02 PM
  #933
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
This pretty much sums up the past 2 years of my life

http://imgur.com/ussdq


I never really found school stressful. I also never really tried in school.

Regrets, regrets. *sigh*

silverfish is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 08:07 PM
  #934
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,400
vCash: 50
Welp, I was this close to picking up and playing Dead Space again, then I remembered that I have to fight that horrible monster that regenerates limbs.

No.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is online now  
Old
11-07-2012, 08:11 PM
  #935
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 17,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post


I never really found school stressful. I also never really tried in school.

Regrets, regrets. *sigh*
I was always "special". I started school a year early, because I was gifted, and was even like a year ahead of that class. So I was probably two years ahead of my actual age group. Last 2 years things have just gone to ****, and I'm suddenly average... And I don't wanna be average

Tanner Glass is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 08:13 PM
  #936
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
I was always "special". I started school a year early, because I was gifted, and was even like a year ahead of that class. So I was probably two years ahead of my actual age group. Last 2 years things have just gone to ****, and I'm suddenly average... And I don't wanna be average
What's your situation, if you don't mind me asking. Grade, age, etc...

silverfish is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 08:23 PM
  #937
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Welp, I was this close to picking up and playing Dead Space again, then I remembered that I have to fight that horrible monster that regenerates limbs.

No.
Who's the lady in your avatar? Looks like Ashleigh Simpson post nose-job.

wolfgaze is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 08:23 PM
  #938
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Welp, I was this close to picking up and playing Dead Space again, then I remembered that I have to fight that horrible monster that regenerates limbs.

No.
Want to play 3, still haven't beaten the first because... well, it's scary.

Jabroni is online now  
Old
11-07-2012, 08:24 PM
  #939
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,400
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Who's the lady in your avatar? Looks like Ashleigh Simpson post nose-job.
Hayley Williams.

Bob Richards is online now  
Old
11-07-2012, 08:29 PM
  #940
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light
 
Hobgoblin Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bay Ridge
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Bachelor's degrees is what I was alluding to. Lots of college grads out there that can't find work and end up accepting jobs you never needed a degree for in the first place.
yeah thats essentially what happened to me. I was like, well I cant find a job, so lets get another degree. Did that, and then still couldnt find something and was like; welp, I guess Ill take this 13$ an hour job and hope I can move up in the company while I look for a real job. (I work currently as a QA engineer for a 3d printing company - I pretty much test the printers, but I dont do anything that I couldnt have done in high school)

Hobgoblin Steve is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 08:32 PM
  #941
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 17,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
What's your situation, if you don't mind me asking. Grade, age, etc...
14 (15 in 10 days), Sophomore

For reference, I took the SAT in 7th grade, and while I didn't get a score, I scored around the 50th percentile, so I was an average 11th grader in 7th grade....
Pretty sure I've gotten stupider since then

Tanner Glass is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 08:43 PM
  #942
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
14 (15 in 10 days), Sophomore

For reference, I took the SAT in 7th grade, and while I didn't get a score, I scored around the 50th percentile, so I was an average 11th grader in 7th grade....
Pretty sure I've gotten stupider since then
Dude, you're still so young. I can't really offer advice because I've never been in your shoes. But some times, you just gotta take it easy.

If you're really worried about this kind of stuff, just kill your junior year in high school and Regents exams (if you're in NY), it shouldn't take too much work to keep your GPA over 90% and rock the SATs. Sophomore year? Meh.

silverfish is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 08:46 PM
  #943
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
14 (15 in 10 days), Sophomore
When did you skip grades? Every sophomore is 14 or 15.

Ih8theislanders is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 09:09 PM
  #944
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 17,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
When did you skip grades? Every sophomore is 14 or 15.
Never skipped, but back in pre school (in Europe), the cutoff date for school was the beginning of the school year. So if you were born in September, you were in the grade below someone in August. Me, being born in November, was put in the grade ahead of me. I had a lot of people older than me in the grade below me (and still do)

And every sophomore is no longer 14 or 15. They're 15 or 16

About 15 people in my grade are turning 15 this school year (me being the youngest). A few people are 16 already (can't imagine these retards with a drivers license...)

Tanner Glass is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 09:46 PM
  #945
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
Never skipped, but back in pre school (in Europe), the cutoff date for school was the beginning of the school year. So if you were born in September, you were in the grade below someone in August. Me, being born in November, was put in the grade ahead of me. I had a lot of people older than me in the grade below me (and still do)

And every sophomore is no longer 14 or 15. They're 15 or 16

About 15 people in my grade are turning 15 this school year (me being the youngest). A few people are 16 already (can't imagine these retards with a drivers license...)
I feel so old.

Cresto is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 09:53 PM
  #946
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
I feel so old.
You're the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

silverfish is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 10:01 PM
  #947
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,400
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
I feel so old.
You're a fossil.

Bob Richards is online now  
Old
11-07-2012, 10:04 PM
  #948
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,896
vCash: 500
I was always smarter than my peers...except it was always in useless subjects like History and English.

Now i'm a Political Science major and i'm going to be poor in 3 years.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 10:07 PM
  #949
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
You're a fossil.
At least I don't behave like a wandering spirit unlike someone

Cresto is offline  
Old
11-07-2012, 10:10 PM
  #950
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,400
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
At least I don't behave like a wandering spirit unlike someone
I am not legally obligated to answer this truthfully.

Bob Richards is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.