HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I'll just wait and see how they do in the NHL before I start jumping to conclusions.
It's still way too early to say anything definitively, of course. But early returns suggest Grigorenko is a genuine game-breaker, so we might as well wax...not like there's anything else going on in the hockey world.

I think our team's drafting philosophy begs some critical attention. We've passed on some dynamic forward talent during Shero's tenure, and one of our franchise centers is still looking for a legitimately skilled linemate to create plays with.

Old
11-06-2012, 01:26 AM
JTG

Grigorenko was undoubtedly impressive. That being said, character concerns are the biggest type of concerns, IMO. I'd rather not have that headache regardless of how good the player is.

Another thing that I'll also note, people here loved to badger me when I said that Malkin can be a winger, even though he's a natural center. Grigorenko is cut from a very similar cloth as Geno, so I'm not entirely sure why people believe that he could make a seamless transition to wing. I'd also be curious to know if he wanted to move to wing. That could be a hiccup in drafting him.

And as impressive as Grigorenko was...I do like Zloban.

Old
11-06-2012, 04:05 AM
ElHefe

Olli Määttä has put up almost point per game this season. How has he developed? I've thought his strongest point is the defensive play.

Old
11-06-2012, 06:50 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
It's still way too early to say anything definitively, of course. But early returns suggest Grigorenko is a genuine game-breaker, so we might as well wax...not like there's anything else going on in the hockey world.
It's a legit debate, but everyone's acting like he's an NHL all-star already and he's the furthest thing from it right now.

Quote:
I think our team's drafting philosophy begs some critical attention. We've passed on some dynamic forward talent during Shero's tenure, and one of our franchise centers is still looking for a legitimately skilled linemate to create plays with.
Like the almighty Pulkkinen?

Old
11-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
It's a legit debate, but everyone's acting like he's an NHL all-star already and he's the furthest thing from it right now.
He has looked exceptional. I have little doubt he'll be a factor in the NHL whenever it starts up. Pouliot? 3-4 years seems like a reasonable timeline to even make the team, never mind make a discernible impact.

Quote:
Like the almighty Pulkkinen?
I'd still deal Rust or Kuhnhackl for Pulkkinen in a New York minute.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
Hanowski will be out till at least Christmas.
Laaaaame. That is not a good concussion if they're already predicting at least 2 months this early into it...

Old
11-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Wish Kuhn would join them. Don't understand how he is being handled. He missed a ton of time last year and needs to play full-time.
Me too, my guess is Veilleux plays 3-4 games for Wheeling and goes up to WBS and then we'll see Kuhnhackl back in Wheeling.

Denver Manderson was placed on 21 day IR after reinjuring his shoulder.

On a side note, a name to keep an eye on is Bobby Farnham, could definitely see Pittsburgh signing him.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 View Post
Me too, my guess is Veilleux plays 3-4 games for Wheeling and goes up to WBS and then we'll see Kuhnhackl back in Wheeling.

Denver Manderson was placed on 21 day IR after reinjuring his shoulder.

On a side note, a name to keep an eye on is Bobby Farnham, could definitely see Pittsburgh signing him.
On Bombulie's blog, Hynes apparently expects Vielleux back on Sunday. So that would be two or three games is my guess.

Manderson is developing KV syndrome?

Farnham has been impressive sounding on the radio. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the Nailers' website is wrong. It has Kuhnhackl and McNeill listed as being on AHL contracts while Killeen and Sneep are on NHl contracts. I thought all of them were on NHL deals.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
On Bombulie's blog, Hynes apparently expects Vielleux back on Sunday. So that would be two or three games is my guess.

Manderson is developing KV syndrome?

Farnham has been impressive sounding on the radio. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the Nailers' website is wrong. It has Kuhnhackl and McNeill listed as being on AHL contracts while Killeen and Sneep are on NHl contracts. I thought all of them were on NHL deals.
I'd say they are probably wrong on the site, I mean they spelled Kuhns name as "Kuhnhacki".

That stuff confuses me with the lockout.

If KV does in fact go back by Sunday we might see Kuhn AND Megna? or Uher? coming back to Wheeling.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:25 PM

Bobby Farnham recalled to WBS

Old
11-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
He has looked exceptional. I have little doubt he'll be a factor in the NHL whenever it starts up. Pouliot? 3-4 years seems like a reasonable timeline to even make the team, never mind make a discernible impact.
We'll see about Grigs. As for Pouliot, I don't think it really matters a whole lot if his timetable is alittle bit longer to reach the NHL. We already have a logjam at defense and players knocking on the door for NHL icetime. What's the big hurry to get him into the NHL?

Quote:
Haha, some things will never change. I honestly don't think I would.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

Pouliot with 1G, 2A so far tonight. Portland up 5-1 in the third, looking to win their ninth game in a row.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Sivek

He's going to pass Rielly at this point. Has 2 less pts in 2 less games.

Seems like Portland outshoots every team 40-20 or something along those lines.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
We'll see about Grigs. As for Pouliot, I don't think it really matters a whole lot if his timetable is alittle bit longer to reach the NHL. We already have a logjam at defense and players knocking on the door for NHL icetime. What's the big hurry to get him into the NHL?
Meaningful ELC contributions while Sid and Geno are in their prime should be a concern, I would think.

Old
11-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Rejean We Trust View Post
Pouliot with 1G, 2A so far tonight. Portland up 5-1 in the third, looking to win their ninth game in a row.
Got 1st star too. Nice to see.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:

I'm kind of on the fence about the Pens drafting. One part of me likes going heavy on D because its such a taught position. Even if a players offense doesn't come around you can still get quality on D just by teaching players good habits. Plus skill on D is such a valued asset in the NHL that teams will overpay for it. Also when you trade for a player thats already scoring in the NHL there is a little less doubt involved in his game.

On the other hand when is enough, enough already. Its pretty clear that BPA is out the window and BDA is in. At least in the first two rounds. The guy up there is right, the Pens have passed up some good forward prospects. Pulk being one of them. Maybe he gets hyped a little to much around HF but he was a 4th rounder. That 2009 draft bugs me more than anything. In one of the deeper drafts post lock out 2 the Pens come away with...

30 D Simon Despres
61 D Philip Samuelsson
63 R Ben Hanowski
121 R Nick Petersen
123 D Alex Velischek
151 C Andy Bathgate
181 D Viktor Ekbom

Old
11-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 View Post
I'd say they are probably wrong on the site, I mean they spelled Kuhns name as "Kuhnhacki".

That stuff confuses me with the lockout.

If KV does in fact go back by Sunday we might see Kuhn AND Megna? or Uher? coming back to Wheeling.
With Farnham up, I would imagine that Kuhnhackl will be coming down. Although, that would give an interesting fourth line in WBS of Kuhnhackl, Megna, and Vielleux. Definitely not a traditional 4th line.

Thank you for the clarification. I thought they were wrong.

Anyway, Wheeling is starting to look like they will have an interesting lineup. If Kuhnhackl goes back down, they could almost put together an NHL contract unit. Kuhnhackl and Payerl at forward with McNeill and Sneep at defense and Killeen in net.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Still hung up on Pulkkinen? Sheesh. He's looking more and more like a bust. Which isn't surprising considering he was drafted in the 4th round.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:18 AM

Anyone who wants Nailers game updates and prospect updates follow @HFPenguins on Twitter.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
With Farnham up, I would imagine that Kuhnhackl will be coming down. Although, that would give an interesting fourth line in WBS of Kuhnhackl, Megna, and Vielleux. Definitely not a traditional 4th line.

Thank you for the clarification. I thought they were wrong.

Anyway, Wheeling is starting to look like they will have an interesting lineup. If Kuhnhackl goes back down, they could almost put together an NHL contract unit. Kuhnhackl and Payerl at forward with McNeill and Sneep at defense and Killeen in net.
They have a very talented lineup.

Too bad Clark Donatelli is a dunce.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I'm kind of on the fence about the Pens drafting. One part of me likes going heavy on D because its such a taught position. Even if a players offense doesn't come around you can still get quality on D just by teaching players good habits. Plus skill on D is such a valued asset in the NHL that teams will overpay for it. Also when you trade for a player thats already scoring in the NHL there is a little less doubt involved in his game.

On the other hand when is enough, enough already. Its pretty clear that BPA is out the window and BDA is in. At least in the first two rounds. The guy up there is right, the Pens have passed up some good forward prospects. Pulk being one of them. Maybe he gets hyped a little to much around HF but he was a 4th rounder. That 2009 draft bugs me more than anything. In one of the deeper drafts post lock out 2 the Pens come away with...

30 D Simon Despres
61 D Philip Samuelsson
63 R Ben Hanowski
121 R Nick Petersen
123 D Alex Velischek
151 C Andy Bathgate
181 D Viktor Ekbom
Yeah. I mean, I'm not obsessing over the lack of draft returns under Shero because we dealt away a lot of early round picks in '07 and '08 for playoff runs, had some injury troubles, and picked college players who have longer development times. But we almost always defer to the safe and familiar, so while we should see our drafts churn out NHLers with regularity, we're not likely to get another impact player anytime soon.

To use a clumsy baseball analogy, it's like we're always hitting to get on base and never trying to swing for the fences. Seems a bit counter-intuitive to me, since we don't have any trouble getting serviceable NHLers to sign here for reasonable money.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Malkinstheman

does anybody know whether bobby farnham is signed yet? if he is would he be considered a prospect? Just saw the game highlights and WOW hes has soo much energy, hes every where on the ice and is constantly trying to make chances.

Last edited by Malkinstheman: 11-07-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old
11-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
does anybody know whether booby farnham is signed yet? if he is would he be considered a prospect? Just saw the game highlights and WOW hes has soo much energy, hes every where on the ice and is constantly trying to make chances.
If we get this kid signed, we're guaranteed another cup.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Malkinstheman

haha that would be awesome. But i think we're at 50 contracts so if we were to sign him who do you think gets bought out? Or perhaphs they dont sign him until they trade a few defense men for a winger?

Old
11-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Sivek

Not sure what the deal with Farnham is. He went to camp with Montreal's AHL team and was assigned to Wheeling, which is shared between Montreal and the Pens. He's now up with WBS and if his 1st game is any indication, he's on his way to becoming the next Billy Tibbetts.

Closed Thread