HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Bjugstad vs. Nelson vs. Lee

Old
11-05-2012, 06:50 PM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
The real important question is who will be the better NHL player.

I think it will be Bjugstad by a far margin.

Lee and Nelson may not even make the NHL.
Bump

Nelson is looking more and more like a future NHLer with #2 Centre potential. Hes off to a very solid start to his Pro career.

Lee is not doing anything spectacular for ND, imo if the rules dont change he wont sign a ELC with the Isles and will become a free agent.

But Nelson looks far ahead of Lee at this point and worthy of his 1st round status. Lets hope he countinues on this path.

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:32 PM
warrior60

Followed them when they were in high school and said Nelson was going to be the better of the three, just needed little more time to delevope then the other two. islanders fans are not going to be dissapointed.

warrior60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:35 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Love Brock Nelson, guy's a beast. NYI is lucky to have him.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 09:41 PM
ndgolden

I think you nailed it.

Last edited by ndgolden: 11-05-2012 at 09:51 PM.
ndgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 02:29 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

I'd still take Bjugstad but Nelson has really impressed me the past couple years and has closed the gap. As for Lee, he might be back where he was when this thread was started before he had his great freshman year. I think he'll make an NHL roster but he is back to being clearly behind the other two IMO.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:12 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Here's how I'd rank them:

1) Bjugstad
2) Nelson
3) Lee

11-06-2012, 10:17 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Nelson has been awesome for the Sound Tigers. I've been very impressed with his power-forward type of game. He really shows it.

He'll be a high end 3rd line center in the NHL.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Jester9881

Don't sleep on Anders Lee..... to say he isn't doing well is a bit disingenuous. He's on pace to match his best point production and increase his goal production. Don't fall into the trap of punishing the kid because he put up great numbers his freshman season and hasn't improved on that. He hasn't regressed either.

I'd also say Brock Nelson projects to be quite a bit better than a 3rd line center.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:30 PM
sb24

I see this as a two dog race. However I dont understand how Bjugstad seems to continue to be thought of as the better prospect? Nelson has out scored him in elites, High school, Freshman, and sophomore year of college. Also Nelsons D might be the best part of his game. I do love Bjugstad but when hes not scoring he is very quite. A lot of nights Haula is the top dog for Minnesota.

sb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:48 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Nelson has been awesome for the Sound Tigers. I've been very impressed with his power-forward type of game. He really shows it.

I think his ceiling is a top six power foward, his got too much scoring touch to be a third liner.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I think his ceiling is a top six power foward, his got too much scoring touch to be a third liner.
I think both of them will be in the David Backes mold. They aren't necessarily going to be big scorers, but they have enough skill to put them on top lines because combined with their size they will create space for others regardless.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:03 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
I think he's definitely projecting to be a top-6 forward. The kid has no real discernible flaws to his game. Obviously the size jumps out at you, actually more like physical frame because he needs to start hanging out with Adam Richman and beef up. He's a good skater for his size and I'm really impressed with his hockey IQ. The kid looks like he gets it and knows where to be. Gotta love that he's willing to use his size and he's also capable on the wing.

I think he should spend the year in Bridgeport again next year and he could be ready for the bigs in 2014.

The Isles have a nice problem on their hands with the development of Nelson and Strome.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:56 PM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I think he's definitely projecting to be a top-6 forward. The kid has no real discernible flaws to his game. Obviously the size jumps out at you, actually more like physical frame because he needs to start hanging out with Adam Richman and beef up. He's a good skater for his size and I'm really impressed with his hockey IQ. The kid looks like he gets it and knows where to be. Gotta love that he's willing to use his size and he's also capable on the wing.

I think he should spend the year in Bridgeport again next year and he could be ready for the bigs in 2014.

The Isles have a nice problem on their hands with the development of Nelson and Strome.
Well I think you have to leave Strome at center because he's always played there. Nelson can play center or wing. I would love to see our second line as Nelson-Strome-Nino.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:05 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Well I think you have to leave Strome at center because he's always played there. Nelson can play center or wing. I would love to see our second line as Nelson-Strome-Nino.
I agree that Strome should be left at center.

As for Nelson, I think he's always played center except for his time at UND. Wasn't he a center in the WJC that he played in? I've always valued centers over wingers so I'd rather keep Nelson in the pivot.

That line would be tempting though, a skilled playmaker sandwiched by a couple of power wingers.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:28 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I agree that Strome should be left at center.

As for Nelson, I think he's always played center except for his time at UND. Wasn't he a center in the WJC that he played in? I've always valued centers over wingers so I'd rather keep Nelson in the pivot.

That line would be tempting though, a skilled playmaker sandwiched by a couple of power wingers.
if all goes well, in Three years you could be looking at a very talented group down the middle for the Isles

Tavares
Strome
Nelson
Cizikas/Sudstrom

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I don't know if it's better, but I am pretty much expecting that Strome will be moved to the wing unless a number of other bodies are moved out.

Nelson's size down the middle is simply too important for a franchise lacking that, especially in light of guys like Nielsen and Cizikas likely/possibly being on the team at the same time.

In addition, if Nelson can be a 50 point two-way center, then the Isles' brass will likely look for a means to get Strome and Tavares together on the ice as much as possible.

I know some don't like this analogy (I love it), but my belief continues to be that the Islanders envision Strome to be 'their' Jordan Eberle, who also was a center for some time in junior. I also wouldn't put too much weight on his being a center over the long run as going from center to wing is about the easiest transition a guy can make... and wasn't he already a winger for Team Canada at the last WJC?

But that'll be decided by the team over time. In any case, with the prospect depth at forward, some players are going to have to switch up or be moved.

Back to the relevant discussion in this thread, I fear that Islander fans should be assuming that Lee will not be signed by NYI this offseason, when he can then choose to become an UFA. I've been critical of Snow in the past for not reacting quickly enough (as in, guarantee the signing of said player as of the point in time his college season is over [if not sooner] or trade the respective player's rights for whatever you can get). I'd love to see Lee and his winner's attitude/trademark on the Island. Heck, he may even be able to make a direct transition to the NHL, or perhaps only spend one season in the AHL, but every indication at this point should be understood by management as "he's a likely flight risk".

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:45 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post

I think he has all the tools to be the next Ryan Kesler.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:11 AM
as15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
I think he has all the tools to be the next Ryan Kesler.
I don't think he will ever have his speed or diving ability.

as15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:18 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by as15 View Post
I don't think he will ever have his speed or diving ability.
Nelson seems to be a ferce competitor so I think your right about the diving part. However His skating is not a weakness like many here think. He might not have the top speed of a couple players in the league but he has plenty of speed to keep up with a rush or beat people back on the back check.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:57 AM
MN_Gopher

I think his goal scoring ability is better than his 2 way play. I would think he should play wing.

He has never looked great to me along his way. High school, his freshemn year, then i doubted his transistion to to the next level, AHL fo now. He does not make the same mistake and once he can no longer get away with a little thing he lets it go. Reminds me alot of Parise that way. The things you question about him, you do not see them often if twice.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:14 PM
sb24

Nelson story
http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=645169

sb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I don't know if it's better, but I am pretty much expecting that Strome will be moved to the wing unless a number of other bodies are moved out.
I know this is probably your favorite thing to imagine, but where do you honestly get this other than your own desire? Strome has never played wing, he's a natural center and his game is best suited for the center position. I don't understand your fascination with putting him on the wing. It's possible, anything is possible at this point, but remember that he's never played wing. Internationally for team Canada, in the OHL, **** even exhibition games with the Isles during training camp he's always been at center.
Quote:
In addition, if Nelson can be a 50 point two-way center, then the Isles' brass will likely look for a means to get Strome and Tavares together on the ice as much as possible.
There's no possible way you could infer that's what Snow and co. would want to see if Nelson turns into that type of player. I think it's obvious Snow puts an emphasis on strength down the middle by drafting strong, natural centers with good hockey IQ and all-around ability or has them develop all-around ability to be responsible centers, i.e. Strome. Why you and other fans want to remove that strength down the middle, which is the most important position to have depth besides defense is mind boggling. There's a big difference between Tavares/Strome/Nelson/Cizikas and Tavares/Nelson/Cizikas/whomever. Look at Pittsburgh, LA, and other center Stanley Cup winners. Where was their strength? In goal and down the middle.
Quote:
I know some don't like this analogy (I love it), but my belief continues to be that the Islanders envision Strome to be 'their' Jordan Eberle, who also was a center for some time in junior. I also wouldn't put too much weight on his being a center over the long run as going from center to wing is about the easiest transition a guy can make... and wasn't he already a winger for Team Canada at the last WJC?
Right, turn a natural center who would give us strength at the most important forward position and convert him over to a less important wing position because you have an affinity to the idea that he's the Isles Jordan Eberle. Look how long it took the Isles to end the Josh Bailey at center experiment when it's been painfully obvious he's better on the wing for a few years now. It's quite clear they want strength down the middle and would like to develop that, not take away from it.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:51 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

I agree with Konk, Strome is a natural center and there has never been an indication that the Isles plan on moving him to the wing. I value centers over wingers too and so I don't see him switching positions when he's ready to join the Islanders.

Nelson does have experience on the wing, but you have to love the idea of a big, power center that he projects to be. I could see him moved to the wing down the road in the case that he shows he can't hack it up the middle. I don't think that will be a problem though.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:00 PM
seafoam

I hope the development of Nelson and Strome does not make a player like Frans Nielsen a trade chip for a defenseman. That's why I suggested moving Nelson to wing.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:16 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
I hope the development of Nelson and Strome does not make a player like Frans Nielsen a trade chip for a defenseman. That's why I suggested moving Nelson to wing.
If you look at the entire Isles system, the number crunch is slowly creeping up. If the kids continue to develop and deserve the spot over any of the incumbents, then so be it.