*OFFICIAL* Soo Greyhounds 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Principal14

vCash: 500
good article by Brock

OHL Prospects - Nursing the Greyhounds Back to the Top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...ck-to-top.html

An article on Darnell Nurse, plus a Q & A I did with him. Was thinking of posting this just in the Hounds thread, but figured others might want to read it too.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:56 AM
BigBuck

What does everyone think of the 8 game suspension to Kevin Spinozzi? I think it's a little harsh for an interference penalty at center ice, they even say in the video "no contact to head".

Old
10-19-2012, 09:40 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
What does everyone think of the 8 game suspension to Kevin Spinozzi? I think it's a little harsh for an interference penalty at center ice, they even say in the video "no contact to head".
Suspensions in this league are always harsh and for the most part inconsistent because of branch.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:17 PM
seen em all

Quote:
Oh No! here we go. Branch has to have his name out there, it`s been too long since he`s had any limelight, as for the hit and suspension, a 2 minute penalty for interference would have been enough.I was watching Niagara vs Brampton last night and Strome blinsides Mc Ivor (could have crippled MC Ivor) and get`s 2 minutes for a check from behind I guess there`s 2 set of rules one for Star players and one for average players, ( cheap shot ) other players were dished out 15 12 10 games for a lot less last season. It is a complete joke, no sorry Branch is a complete joke.

Old
10-19-2012, 12:50 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Suspensions in this league are always harsh and for the most part inconsistent because of branch.
I was at the game and reviewed the video.Maybe 8 games a bit harsh but it was a very very late hit.Guys have to pull up in these situations.The biggest down fault was the other Sarnia player that went and fought with the Soo player, got the instigator and the fight dont count against the Soo player.That is a Branch rule that is screwed up also.The real instigator was the player (WHETHER HE WAS FROM THE SOO OR WHATEVER TEAM)who threw the illegal check to start with.This rule has to change.At least charge them both for a fight when a suspension or game misconduct is assessed.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:19 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
I was at the game and reviewed the video.Maybe 8 games a bit harsh but it was a very very late hit.Guys have to pull up in these situations.The biggest down fault was the other Sarnia player that went and fought with the Soo player, got the instigator and the fight dont count against the Soo player.That is a Branch rule that is screwed up also.The real instigator was the player (WHETHER HE WAS FROM THE SOO OR WHATEVER TEAM)who threw the illegal check to start with.This rule has to change.At least charge them both for a fight when a suspension or game misconduct is assessed.
All Spinozzi wanted to do was make a hit he didn't want to fight he got instigated to fight the rule is fine.He got penalized for the illegal hit which might have been a little late but hit the guy in the chest.

Old
10-19-2012, 06:56 PM
massey

Quote:
All Spinozzi wanted to do was make a hit he didn't want to fight he got instigated to fight the rule is fine.He got penalized for the illegal hit which might have been a little late but hit the guy in the chest.
No late hit,No fight, Late hit,yes a fight. And yes the late hit instigated it.If you are going to late hit,even by mistake,you had better expect a fight.Who cares where he hit.I am against the staged fighting in hockey but this is where it should be.I would only hope that if it was a Soo player or any player was hit late that Broll or another Soo player would look after the situation.Basso in the same game checked a Soo player from behind,he should have got his butt kicked by the Soo and yes.Basso would be charged with a fight as well because he instigated the check from behind.Let's stop the non sense.

Old
10-21-2012, 10:03 PM
IcemanTBI

Looks like last years hounds are back. That was an embarassing display against a team that has played 3 games in 3 nights.

Old
10-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Principal14

Nichols gets the start in his hometown, GO HOUNDS GO
http://www.saultstar.com/2012/10/24/...-start-at-home

Old
10-26-2012, 05:19 PM
hockeylegend11

The OHL has suspended rookie forward Landon Schiller for 10 games for his head checking penalty the other nite against NF

Old
11-05-2012, 09:38 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
The OHL has suspended rookie forward Landon Schiller for 10 games for his head checking penalty the other nite against NF
holly cow,The OHL website shows 5 suspensions to the Soo,What is going on with this team or is Mr Branch flexing his muscles again

Old
11-07-2012, 06:35 PM
H44

Chris Buonomo has been suspended 15 games for his hit on the 67's Connor Brown last Friday.

per Yahoo

Old
11-07-2012, 06:49 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by H44 View Post
Chris Buonomo has been suspended 15 games for his hit on the 67's Connor Brown last Friday.

per Yahoo
dumb hit, but not worth 15 games. Branch is trying to turn the OHL into a circus, no hitting and fighting league.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
dumb hit, but not worth 15 games. Branch is trying to turn the OHL into a circus, no hitting and fighting league.
It deserves at least 10, he put his elbow up and jumped at him... You could tell it was intentional, I mean sometimes you got to use your head more, that's a really dumb hit to take if there was a little more force that kid could have got a concussion easily....no place in this game for intentional hits to the head. im very Surprise there was no reaction from any 67's players.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:26 AM
OHLTG

He jumped, threw a major elbow, and caught the guy in the head. Nothing short of 10 games surprises me. I'm more shocked nobody went after him for it.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:21 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
He jumped, threw a major elbow, and caught the guy in the head. Nothing short of 10 games surprises me. I'm more shocked nobody went after him for it.
Suspension was warranted for that hit, but the OHL suspensions are a joke overall. Might as well take out hitting because one wrong move and you're gone for a minimum of 10 games plus.

For example: Tim Bozon spits in the face of Keegan Lowe in the WHL and he gets one game. That's disgusting and how is it possible that he gets only ONE game.

Stefan Matteau performs a brutal hit from behind during a QMJHL game, and he only got a 1 game suspension. His team even added a game to it because they don't condone that type of play.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:41 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Suspension was warranted for that hit, but the OHL suspensions are a joke overall. Might as well take out hitting because one wrong move and you're gone for a minimum of 10 games plus.

For example: Tim Bozon spits in the face of Keegan Lowe in the WHL and he gets one game. That's disgusting and how is it possible that he gets only ONE game.

Stefan Matteau performs a brutal hit from behind during a QMJHL game, and he only got a 1 game suspension. His team even added a game to it because they don't condone that type of play.
David Branch isnt the commishioner of the QMJHL.

Personally, IMO, if a player makes incidental contact to the head, it happens, and hits in those cases shouldnt receive long drawn out suspensions.

This particular hit it was blatantly obvious watching the disciplinary video that he put his right forearm/elbow into the players head, and jumped some 6 inches off the ice to do so.

There is no place for those types of hits, and that is the message being sent. You will sit for some time if you break these very simple rules. Had he not jumped, he's probably looking at just a head checking minor considering the player did not get hurt.

Its basic hitting etiquette. You leave your damn skates on the ice or your intention is very clear.

On another note, has any new information come to light from the Nick Cousins hearing that was on Monday?

Looking forward to hosting a hungry Soo team on friday!

Old
11-14-2012, 08:34 AM
prowatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
David Branch isnt the commishioner of the QMJHL.

Personally, IMO, if a player makes incidental contact to the head, it happens, and hits in those cases shouldnt receive long drawn out suspensions.

This particular hit it was blatantly obvious watching the disciplinary video that he put his right forearm/elbow into the players head, and jumped some 6 inches off the ice to do so.

There is no place for those types of hits, and that is the message being sent. You will sit for some time if you break these very simple rules. Had he not jumped, he's probably looking at just a head checking minor considering the player did not get hurt.

Its basic hitting etiquette. You leave your damn skates on the ice or your intention is very clear.

On another note, has any new information come to light from the Nick Cousins hearing that was on Monday?

Looking forward to hosting a hungry Soo team on friday!
the defences needs a stay at home defences man that can make a good first pass and help clear in front of the net.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Principal14

the defencemen are fine, it is team defence that needs to be instilled, wingers and centremen ready for breakout passes and skating back as hard as they do in an offensive situation. It is a mindset, they need to understand that offence alone doesnt get you to the next level, imo, think defence first and capitalize on turnovers, it will also be nice to have the full team back as well

Old
11-14-2012, 03:27 PM
mapleleaf979

Kyle JEnkins is playing excellent for the Oakville Blades. He is very good puck moving Dman. Nice 4th round pick that will suit up next year im sure and make a nice impact. Always under-rated from my view.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Kyle JEnkins is playing excellent for the Oakville Blades. He is very good puck moving Dman. Nice 4th round pick that will suit up next year im sure and make a nice impact. Always under-rated from my view.
...if he doesn't go NCAA, lots of interest.

Old
11-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
...if he doesn't go NCAA, lots of interest.
Both Jenkins and Centorame were very good players in the GTHL. I figured they would both be playing in the OHL after a year of tier 2.

Old
11-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Principal14

big jump in play

Old
11-20-2012, 01:50 PM
prowatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principal14 View Post
big jump in play
It seams like the team keeps going backwards. They need to play more as a team, the talent is there. they also could use 2 more top defences.I hope they turn this season around.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:23 PM
PacoSanchez15

Two more top defencemen? And where do they slot in?

Top 4 of Sproul, Miller, Nurse and Gudbranson are pretty solid. Ganly has been much better than I could have expected and is perfect as the #5. Then you still have Buonomo who granted hasn't had the best start to his season with the Hounds is still fine to play bottom pairing minutes.

If anything the Hounds could use some scoring outside the top 2 lines.

Closed Thread