HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 5.0 - CLR Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Erne would be an excellent fit too. He's really good on the forecheck and has the snipping skills to finish Gally's passes.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
Which winger should we try to draft to play along side Gally in 2013? The next draft is full of talent, we could find the perfect player to grow with our latest 1st round pick. I think Anthony Mantha is the perfect candidate to be match with Galchenyuk. Galchenyuk+Mantha+Pacioretty would make a sick line with size.
I think what we're really missing is an offensive juggernaut "à la" Giroux, Kane, Yakupov.. that's why Drouin will fit better with Galchenyuk and Pacioretty than Mantha.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:49 PM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
Drouin! I don't like Mantha's skating although he is a beast.
Drouin is my first choice too, but he will go high. So a more realistic choice would be Mantha. But Drouin-Galchenyuk-Pacioretty would be awesome. And don't forget that we can get both if we trade our 2nd round picks+something to get a other 1st.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:02 PM
ScottFC

Anybody know why Gally isn't playing with the OHL in the super series? I

Old
11-07-2012, 07:03 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFC View Post
He's American. It's only open to Canadians and Russians.

EDIT: I seriously love the title. It's hilarious

Old
11-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFC View Post
He's American.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
if these secret meetings miraculously end the lockout, would the ten game rule for chl players under 19 still apply or could galchenyuk play more than ten?

Old
11-07-2012, 07:06 PM
ScottFC

Didn't know that but thanks that!

Old
11-07-2012, 10:09 PM
jphabs

Are you sure he won't play tomorrow? The guy on Sportsnet said he was going to , talking about facing his former linemate Yakupov. He guess he was clueless.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
You are grossly underrating Forsberg. He was a complete player who was dominant in all three zones. Once again this is an example of revisionist history via stat analysis......really getting old on these boards.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I never once underrated Forsberg. He was a beast without question, but I wasn't the one to claim "if it wasn't for his injuries he could of been the greatest player to ever wear a jersey" or "he had the greatest hands ever". I don't feel like arguing semantics or the definition of "hands", but he wasn't even the greatest player on his team and he definitely didn't have the best hands on his team. He was a Bryan Trottier type player, he could do everything, but neither of those statements were true. He was my favorite player while he was in the league, I loved his grit, skill, playmaking, but greatest to ever wear a jersey is a huge overstatement. Not even close whether he was injury riddled or not.
Forsberg played around 700 regular season game. That's almost twice as less as Sakic. During that span he managed to keep up a career scoring pace over 100pts. He's done that in the ''modern day'' NHL until retiring in 2011. Just so you know, he has a higher scoring pace than Sakic and Jagr.
I don't want to get too much into this as the topic is Gally, but you obviously didn't follow Forsberg all that much if you don't even think he had the best hands on his team, that much is an insult to his skill.
Sakic was the undeniable leader of his team (and my favorite player of all time. His skating and release is something I always tried to mimic), but both healthy and in their prime, I pick Forsberg without hesitation.
It's tough for anybody to measure up to Mario. The fact Mario had to battle back issues right from game 1 in the NHL (and before) makes his accomplishments even more impressive.
But if Forsberg wasn't limited to 700 games with constant injury troubles, he would be considered as one of the best all times, no doubt about it. None.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:03 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB
He was arguably not even the best forward on that stacked Colorado team either.
Marc Messier and Evgeni Malkin weren't even the best players on their own team.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:12 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Anyone know how galchenyuk is in the faceoff circle? It's a shame half his games are getting split up with him playing on the wings...I just hope Therrien doesn't put him on the wings when he makes the habs team in a year or two.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:13 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphabs View Post
Are you sure he won't play tomorrow? The guy on Sportsnet said he was going to , talking about facing his former linemate Yakupov. He guess he was clueless.
It was confusing, but what the announcer meant was that he will be able to "meet" Yakupov again, like literally meet him, but not get to play with him.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:16 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
Drouin is my first choice too, but he will go high. So a more realistic choice would be Mantha. But Drouin-Galchenyuk-Pacioretty would be awesome. And don't forget that we can get both if we trade our 2nd round picks+something to get a other 1st.
True. With Dudley + Timmins there may be serious potential for maximizing our picks with trades on draft day.

Crap, sorry for double post, meant to copy and paste it...

Old
11-07-2012, 11:40 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
if these secret meetings miraculously end the lockout, would the ten game rule for chl players under 19 still apply or could galchenyuk play more than ten?
The 1st year of his ELC would be ''burned'' once he played in a 10th game.

He could be sent back to the CHL at any time, even if he's played 50.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
I think what we're really missing is an offensive juggernaut "à la" Giroux, Kane, Yakupov.. that's why Drouin will fit better with Galchenyuk and Pacioretty than Mantha.
While I'd be ecstatic if we did land Drouin, if we're drafting near the top I'd rather go for any of the two-way centres (Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm) that are available. I don't think we'll ever have the true firepower to go head-to-head with any of the better teams in that department (Pittsburgh, Anaheim, Tampa, etc.). Instead, I'd look at Dallas and see how effective Benn and Eriksson have been on a mediocre team (+15 and +18 respectively). Neither are prolific scorers, just great all-around players who drive puck possession. With Gally on one wing and a finisher on the other (for now, Gionta) I think we could replicate that success.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:33 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
True. With Dudley + Timmins there may be serious potential for maximizing our picks with trades on draft day.

Crap, sorry for double post, meant to copy and paste it...
One thing I noticed with Dudley's trades as GM he was never afraid to make moves to get the guy he wanted in drafts.. I think now if Timmins says he REALLY likes someone we'll see Bergevin trying to make some moves to accommodate Timmins.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:42 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
One thing I noticed with Dudley's trades as GM he was never afraid to make moves to get the guy he wanted in drafts.. I think now if Timmins says he REALLY likes someone we'll see Bergevin trying to make some moves to accommodate Timmins.
Well I hope Timmins REALLY likes Mackinnon and REALLY likes Barkov.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Patty Roy

Assuming there will be a season, one that would start in the next few weeks i would definitely give Galchenyuk a look. The Habs are already short a top 9 skill forward, and with Bourque injured that would seemingly be the perfect opportunity to give him a 9 game audition.

Personally i see Galchenyuk playing the left side on a line with Plekanec and Gionta. Let him play with 2 skilled, responsible leaders and see what he can do. Worst case he struggles and we send him back to the OHL.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gionta
(Bourque)-Eller-Armstrong
Prust-White-Moen

Old
11-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Assuming there will be a season, one that would start in the next few weeks i would definitely give Galchenyuk a look. The Habs are already short a top 9 skill forward, and with Bourque injured that would seemingly be the perfect opportunity to give him a 9 game audition.

Personally i see Galchenyuk playing the left side on a line with Plekanec and Gionta. Let him play with 2 skilled, responsible leaders and see what he can do. Worst case he struggles and we send him back to the OHL.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gionta
(Bourque)-Eller-Armstrong
Prust-White-Moen
Surely by the time the NHL would actually get on the ice, Bourque would have to be damn close to returning, no?

Old
11-08-2012, 08:19 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Anyone know how galchenyuk is in the faceoff circle? It's a shame half his games are getting split up with him playing on the wings...I just hope Therrien doesn't put him on the wings when he makes the habs team in a year or two.
Is it really a bad thing if Galchenyuk can play center and wing? Versatility makes him more valuable, not less! His faceoff ability might not develop as fast but it does not really matter, most young centers have to adjust when they reach the NHL. Even Crosby was not great at faceoffs at first and Malkin still struggles a bit.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Surely by the time the NHL would actually get on the ice, Bourque would have to be damn close to returning, no?
Should be. Had surgery in late August and they said it would be 8-12 weeks. This is week 10. We're still probably 2 weeks away from any hockey being played at the earliest.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:48 AM
HockeyFan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Well I hope Timmins REALLY likes Mackinnon and REALLY likes Barkov.
There's nothing to worry about there, I think. If we can see how good those 2 players are, I think Bergevin, Timmins and co. also can.

To be honest, unlike most of the people here, I don't have my mind set on ABSOLUTELY drafting Drouin, which I think is mainly because he is quebecer. Of course, he would complement well Gally but any enough talented player to follow the latter on the ice would do so because Gally makes everyone around him better. He doesn't ABSOLUTELY need someone like Drouin who also makes everyone around him better.

The franchise needs at least another player at least of the caliber of Galchenyuk to really become a true perennial Stanley Cup contender, IMO. Some peope may not agree with me and that's ok but that's what I think. My favorite prospect in next year's draft for the habs is MacKinnon and that's nothing to do with the hype or because he is north american. It's more because I like the fact that he's a highly skilled RIGHT HANDED center who can be a catalyst on a team (the fact that he's a player who plays with power is just a bonus) and Montreal has presently no one who is even close to that in the entire organization. I know that the odds of drafting him would likely be very low if there's a lottery like in 2005 so let's hope there's a season to see where It leads the habs.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:06 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan87 View Post
There's nothing to worry about there, I think. If we can see how good those 2 players are, I think Bergevin, Timmins and co. also can.

To be honest, unlike most of the people here, I don't have my mind set on ABSOLUTELY drafting Drouin, which I think is mainly because he is quebecer. Of course, he would complement well Gally but any enough talented player to follow the latter on the ice would do so because Gally makes everyone around him better. He doesn't ABSOLUTELY need someone like Drouin who also makes everyone around him better.

The franchise needs at least another player at least of the caliber of Galchenyuk to really become a true perennial Stanley Cup contender, IMO. Some peope may not agree with me and that's ok but that's what I think. My favorite prospect in next year's draft for the habs is MacKinnon and that's nothing to do with the hype or because he is north american. It's more because I like the fact that he's a highly skilled RIGHT HANDED center who can be a catalyst on a team (the fact that he's a player who plays with power is just a bonus) and Montreal has presently no one who is even close to that in the entire organization. I know that the odds of drafting him would likely be very low if there's a lottery like in 2005 so let's hope there's a season to see where It leads the habs.
Not to put you on the spot, but out of curiosity, how much better than Galchenyuk do you think MacKinnon will be?

Old
11-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Kensai Akatsume Ryu

Send a message via MSN to Kensai Akatsume Ryu
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Not to put you on the spot, but out of curiosity, how much better than Galchenyuk do you think MacKinnon will be?
But Galchenyuk is left-handed! =) That's probably why he put it in caps lock (RIGHT-HANDED). As far as I'm concerned, I believe Galchenyuk has a higher offensive upside than MacKinnon, but I believe MacKinnon might be better as an overall player. I'm sold on Galchenyuk I think

Closed Thread