HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia

Russia U-20 coach Varnakov

Old
11-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Siberian

vCash: 500
Russia U-20 coach Varnakov

Looks like a deeply troubled alcoholic. I would not want my son to be coached by a guy who has such empty look in his eyes. He was a great player though.

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 08:36 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Lol he does look kind of funny, the announcers were making fun of him a bit... Is he actually an alcoholic?

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 06:41 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
looks like he had no game plan for game two at all. I hope it's just for lack of experience with the juniors.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 06:47 AM
cska78

also, wtf with playing Vasya yesterday, who's gonna play tonight? him again? that's just plain stupid, the game last night was screaming for Ustinskiy to play.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
looks like he had no game plan for game two at all. I hope it's just for lack of experience with the juniors.
The part that bothered me a lot was when our Defenders would continously jump in on the rush and get caught going back. 2 on 0 should never happened. And how many 2v1 in the 1st period alone? What does that say about disciplinne? And where is that defending mentality that Bilyaletdinov's system is preaching?

I liked Bragin's discipline- if you 'fall out' of the game - you won't play.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
also, wtf with playing Vasya yesterday, who's gonna play tonight? him again? that's just plain stupid, the game last night was screaming for Ustinskiy to play.
well if Ustinskiy plays tonight, it'll be a REAL test for him. I guess why not give him a REAL test in a friendly?

But I agree, it's as stupid as not calling Kucherov. Where is the logic??

Old
11-08-2012, 09:04 AM
cska78

oh, boy, we will miss Bragin, he's the perfect youth coach, with iron discipline, not sure he will succeed with that for a long time in CSKA with spoiled prima donnas like Radulov.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
oh, boy, we will miss Bragin, he's the perfect youth coach, with iron discipline, not sure he will succeed with that for a long time in CSKA with spoiled prima donnas like Radulov.
There's still time for Varnakov to reassert himself as a solid Junior coach. But so far, I'm not overly impressed.

Still better than Nemchinov, but that is not saying much at all.

Ye, I don't think Bragin is a good club coach. He's probably the best Junior and tournament coach from Russia. He might come back after his stint with CSKA, I certainly hope so.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:25 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
The part that bothered me a lot was when our Defenders would continously jump in on the rush and get caught going back. 2 on 0 should never happened. And how many 2v1 in the 1st period alone?
If you watch the replays Nesterov was responsible for all of those plays. I counted 3x that he pinched and got caught, and one other bad giveaway where the puck ust fell off his stick. The 2 on 0 goal by far the worst, I don't know what he was thinking, Huberdeau made him look like a school child...

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:27 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
If you watch the replays Nesterov was responsible for all of those plays. I counted 3x that he pinched and got caught, and one other bad giveaway where the puck ust fell off his stick. The 2 on 0 goal by far the worst, I don't know what he was thinking, Huberdeau made him look like a school child...
Mironov was caught on one for sure

Old
11-08-2012, 12:01 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
He does that a lot, and will continue too for a while I hope.

As much as I hate Russians during hockey tournaments, I have a lot of respect for a coach like Bragin, that man could coach.

I can't remember, but didn't Bragin struggle at first ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
He does that a lot, and will continue too for a while I hope.

As much as I hate Russians during hockey tournaments, I have a lot of respect for a coach like Bragin, that man could coach.

I can't remember, but didn't Bragin struggle at first ?
It was a tough start in 2011 WJC, losing to Canada and Sweden. But then the team got on a roll.

Even in SSS you realized that Bragin built and enforced a team that will never give up, and they showed it in the quarters, semis and finals.

Old
11-08-2012, 03:17 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
It was a tough start in 2011 WJC, losing to Canada and Sweden. But then the team got on a roll.

Even in SSS you realized that Bragin built and enforced a team that will never give up, and they showed it in the quarters, semis and finals.
I agree, that 2011 run was magical, you could see it coming, the Russians had so much passion..

I won't watch the game ever again, but it was one of the best Hockey games I'll ever seen.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Bure

vCash: 50
Yeah I miss Bragin, he was great.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Atas2000

I can't believe how much BS I had to read about Varnakov here...

Atas2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
I can't believe how much BS I had to read about Varnakov here...
Varnakov has very big shoes to fill. We also believe that this team has enough talent to win the WJC, so there are no excuses. If this team doesn't do well (top 3 finish) it'll be hard not to blame him.

Old
11-21-2012, 12:21 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Varnakov has very big shoes to fill. We also believe that this team has enough talent to win the WJC, so there are no excuses. If this team doesn't do well (top 3 finish) it'll be hard not to blame him.
My opinion about Varnakov was low at first, but after all is said and done, I thought I detected a huge improvement in the defense in the SSS. I really liked Bragin as well - his team in 2011 made these huge, almost miraculous comebacks, because they never quit. The Gold Medal game against Canada in Buffalo was insane! However, if he had a weakness, it might have been the defensive side of the game. In Calgary, the team had a huge problem getting pinned inside the defensive zone. They gave up an average of 52 shots on goal from the Czechs, Canadians and Swedes. It caused them to have to go to OT to beat a less than great Czech team, and they squandered a 6-1 lead to 6-5 in less than 5 minutes against the Canadians. It was the only reason, IMO, that such an offensively talented team didn't win Gold. If they play really good defense in Ufa, I think there is enough offensive talent to win.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
My opinion about Varnakov was low at first, but after all is said and done, I thought I detected a huge improvement in the defense in the SSS. I really liked Bragin as well - his team in 2011 made these huge, almost miraculous comebacks, because they never quit. The Gold Medal game against Canada in Buffalo was insane! However, if he had a weakness, it might have been the defensive side of the game. In Calgary, the team had a huge problem getting pinned inside the defensive zone. They gave up an average of 52 shots on goal from the Czechs, Canadians and Swedes. It caused them to have to go to OT to beat a less than great Czech team, and they squandered a 6-1 lead to 6-5 in less than 5 minutes against the Canadians. It was the only reason, IMO, that such an offensively talented team didn't win Gold. If they play really good defense in Ufa, I think there is enough offensive talent to win.
I agree with you, tactically speaking Bragin's hockey was poorer defensively, but looked very good offensively at times with rather evolved combination hockey.

And yes, towards the end of SSS, you could see the picture of Varnakov's team. However, I'm not prepared to say that Varnakov's strategy is proven until we see it work consistently. This has not happened yet.

When his strategy works - it's great.

When it fails, it ugly hockey to watch. Trap, no creativity and losing looks pretty bad.

Last edited by Fulcrum: 11-21-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old
11-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
I agree with you, tactically speaking Bragin's hockey was poorer defensively, but looked very good offensively at times with rather evolved combination hockey.

And yes, towards the end of SSS, you could see the picture of Varnakov's team. However, I'm not prepared to say that Varnakov's strategy is proven until we see it work consistently. This has not happened yet.

When his strategy works - it's great.

When it fails, it ugly hockey to watch. Trap, no creativity and losing looks pretty bad.
True. In some games, the offense was almost nonexistent. To be successful, they will have to have the kind of balance between defense and offense that they showed the final game.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote