HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

If the season is wiped out - Lupul, Bozak, Conolly etc are UFA's

Old
11-07-2012, 08:49 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilfactor View Post
I'm not responding to anyone in particular but the problem with Bozak to me is, he's not a top 6 player, and he gets pushed around too easily to be in the bottom 6. He's not a bad player at all, he actually has a lot of skill. I just think he could be replaced easily by one of the Marlies or someone bigger/cheaper
Unfortunately, no he can't be replaced by one of the Marlies.

Marlies don't have any centers worth demoting Bozak for.

Looks like most of the healthy Marlies are support players. They need better players to play with to accomplish anything. Even the Kadri supporters are saying he needs to play with better players, meaning he's a support player.

We're looking at a trade to replace Bozak, but thankfully they have players like Kadri, Blacker, Colborne ... on the Marlies that won't be missed if they use them in a trade for a NHL center.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Fogelhund

Quote:
I'm not responding to anyone in particular but the problem with Bozak to me is, he's not a top 6 player, and he gets pushed around too easily to be in the bottom 6. He's not a bad player at all, he actually has a lot of skill. I just think he could be replaced easily by one of the Marlies or someone bigger/cheaper
We keep saying he could be replaced easily, and then one after another replacements are tried, and it keeps turning out that Bozak makes Kessel and his line tick. We've tried a few options, and nobody has been better than Bozak on that line. I'm not saying he is great, I'm not saying he is a #1C.. but until someone actually does better in that spot, then he is our best option there. Give the guy some credit.

Fogelhund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:57 AM
chilfactor

We haven't had anyone else to replace him on the first line, that's been one of our problems and a target area for Burke no doubt. If Bozak is our #1 C again this year, we're in trouble.
I'm saying when he goes down to the third line where he probably should be, we have other options.

And I think I did give him some credit.

chilfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Fogelhund

Quote:
We haven't had anyone else to replace him on the first line, that's been one of our problems and a target area for Burke no doubt.
Connolly failed to work out. He was the best C on the market and Burke went out and picked him up specifically for Kessel.

Lombardi failed to work out. Out, he was a player nobody thought would play again... yet.

Grabovski, as decent as he is as a #2C, doesn't work with Kessel.

Steckel was tried... didn't work.

Kadri hasn't worked out, in the limited attempts he's been given.

Burke has done almost all he could to find a C at this point, and the ones that looked decent haven't worked out. I agree that this team won't be elite until someone besides Bozak is in that spot though.

I hope that somehow this team gets lucky, and has the opportunity to draft one of the good C's this year. I'd love to have MacKinnon, and don't care if it means tanking, or another lost season.. but somehow I think it is more likely to be Barkov... which would be great too. I think we are going to have to develop the C we covet.

Fogelhund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:31 AM
chilfactor

Who knows - we could luck out with JVR
Or maybe Colborne...although I doubt it.
And Kadri- I hope they at least give him a legit shot on the top 2 lines this year

chilfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:19 AM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
Who knows - we could luck out with JVR
Or maybe Colborne...although I doubt it.
And Kadri- I hope they at least give him a legit shot on the top 2 lines this year
For whatever its worth, Colborne is the strongest Marlie on the puck, and makes the best decisions during the PP, he has stood out early on.

JVR, I think he's going to be the guy. I could see him scoring 30 (with a full season). The leafs are missing key players with recent competitive playoff exposure and success.

MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Krazy

Given the choice and assuming that getzlaf perry etc are off the table I would do 4 simple moves.

1.) Sign Zajac 5x5
2.) Sign lupul 5x5
3.) Sign Fistric 4x2
4.) Trade Macarthur, Colborne, Franson for luo (not necessarily my choice, but I do think burke has his eye on him)
5.) Resign Bozak for say at max 3

Jvr Zajac Kessel
Lupul Grabo Kule
Kadri Bozak Frattin
Brown Mclement whoever

Gunnar Dion
Gardiner Fistric
Liles Komi/Holzer

Luo
Reimer/Scrivens....

And if reilly is ready try to trade liles for something. I think that should work out.

Top 6 is solid. Size Defensive acumen, speed and scoring throughout... 3rd line not really a shutdown line, but they have the offences to step up in a pinch.

That would work out to about 63 mill, with both liles and komi in line up. Take one out and its under 60...

I think that is at least achievable...

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:18 PM
4evaBlue

Not sure how you would have signed the RFA Zajac. Offersheet him, and give up 2 firsts that we didn't have anymore?

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:40 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
If Ducks can't get Getzlaf to sign an extension he's a good target. They won't let him walk for free, and often a player will give first dibs to the team moved to.
I agree a potential trade is the best possibility to land Getzlaf. Just my opinion, but I can't see getting both Getzlaf and Perry.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Clip68

What makes anyone think that Lupul would come back? He is coming off a monster year and had a known rift with Carlyle and now might have a sniff at UFA.

We will overpay or lose him.

Clip68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:03 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
I agree a potential trade is the best possibility to land Getzlaf. Just my opinion, but I can't see getting both Getzlaf and Perry.
Not saying Toronto is going to sign both Getzlaf and Perry because just one of them would be great to have.

However no one saw Minnestoa signing both Parise and Suter, so if Brian Burke really wants Getzlaf and Perry I'm sure he would try and sign them both.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:05 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip68 View Post
What makes anyone think that Lupul would come back? He is coming off a monster year and had a known rift with Carlyle and now might have a sniff at UFA.

That whole thing between them was blown out of proportion. In December 2010 when Lupul returned from his surgey and infection from it Carlyle basically said there wasn't enough room among Fowards on the Ducks roster for him. However after Carlyle was hired by Toronto he then said he regrets what happened with Lupul in Anaheim and if he could go back in time he would have done things a lot different.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:44 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

People need to stop writing off Bozak as a bad third line player.

If you don't count the first few weeks of his rookie season and very last game of the 2010 - 2011 season, he's never touched the third line. People say he's soft yet he throws his body around adequately when he's playing on the top line in a role where he's not even asked to play such a role. If he gets thrown down to the third line where he actually gets defensive assignments and not just 100% offense the whole time, his game will shift and adapt and I can guarantee his defensive game will come out of its shell. He's already shown flashes of great defensive play, it still boggles me why he's given so little PK time. Once he actually plays a third line role, then we can truly assess if he's made to play on the third line.

I personally think that with proper development he should be our #3 going into the future if we ever acquire a #1.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:49 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip68 View Post

Because his career hit new highs the second he was traded to Toronto.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 06:13 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Because his career hit new highs the second he was traded to Toronto.
Yup, I think he's as fortunate to be here as we are to have him. There's very little guarantee that wherever he'd go, he'd get the icetime, and the quality linemate(s) he's earned with the Leafs.

Going through the teams, most teams would probably slot him on the 2nd line, and for teams that he'd be on the top line, he wouldn't be playing beside Kessel-quality players. Would he be able to develop chemistry with his new linemates, or would it be like the Anaheim days all over again?

As long as Burke doesn't try to lowball him, we should be able to extend his contract should management wish to do so.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:19 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
it still boggles me why he's given so little PK time.
Even with minimal PK time, he's averaged around 19 minutes a game. That's more than any forward with the exception of Kessel. Not sure if giving him even more ice time would have been beneficial for his overall game.

Steckel did a good job with the facoffs on the PK, and despite being almost as bad at faceoffs as Grabo, Connolly didn't look completely useless on the PK.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Morlesio14*

Realistically who do u think the leafs will try to sign. I'm not sure if they'd sign Edler.

Morlesio14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:50 PM
LMFAO

Lupul - Mackinnon - Kessel
Van Riemsdyk - Getzlaf - Perry
Kulemin - Grabovski - Frattin
Brown - Mclemment -Devane

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gardiner - Edler
Liles - Holzer

Luongo
Scrivens

***wakes up***

LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Morlesio14*

[QUOTE=LMFAO;55612523]Lupul - Mackinnon - Kessel
Van Riemsdyk - Getzlaf - Perry
Kulemin - Grabovski - Frattin
Brown - Mclemment -Devane

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gardiner - Edler
Liles - Holzer

Luongo
Scrivens

The quote thing got messed up. BTW the lines are part of LMFAO's post

Trade Grabo for a 1st round pick and re sign Bozak.
Creates cap space.
Can someone make the possible cap hits for these players to see where it adds up. Are you sure we would play mackinnon over getz.

Last edited by Morlesio14*: 11-08-2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Doesn't show quote
Morlesio14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:08 AM
SprDaVE

I'll probably eat my own feces if we are able to sign BOTH Getzlaf and Perry.

Well, I probably won't do that, but you know... I'll be pretty amazed.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:07 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
I'll probably eat my own feces if we are able to sign BOTH Getzlaf and Perry.

Well, I probably won't do that, but you know... I'll be pretty amazed.
Where did Getzlaf and Perry's Ducks draft this year?

Love to see Perry on the Leafs.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Where did Getzlaf and Perry's Ducks draft this year?

Love to see Perry on the Leafs.
I think the odds of Perry are greater than Getzlaf, because Corey is a local home grown Ontario kid that grew up playing with the London Knights.

The need for Getzlaf far exceeds the need for Perry however, but it does allow the Leafs to continue building from the Wings-on-In as opposed to the Goalie-on-Out.

11-08-2012, 11:59 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
uhhhh Jersey's on the verge of bankruptcy
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Surprised that so many are ready to walk away from Steckle. Seems like someone Carlyle would want to return - wasn't he playing him big minutes last year? Big body, strong on faceoffs, and led the forward group in hits by a wide margin. Slow as all hell, but could fit better in a Carlyle system.

Not someone who I'd cry about if they walked away, I just won't be surprised if they feel he should return as a depth option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I think the odds of Perry are greater than Getzlaf, because Corey is a local home grown Ontario kid that grew up playing with the London Knights.

The need for Getzlaf far exceeds the need for Perry however, but it does allow the Leafs to continue building from the Wings-on-In as opposed to the Goalie-on-Out.
i think you take the pieces as they become available. if we can possible get perry even though wing isnt our greatest need i think we take it and run. if there is even a chance at getzlaf i think its worth it to over pay substantially. adding him to our lineup would go a long way. the addition of perry would compensate for lesser centers though.

jvr-grabs-perry
lupul-bozak-kessel

^^^^^ not the worst top 6 in the league but not as sexy as vvvvv

kessel-getzlaf-perry
jvr-grabs -lupul

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:57 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
uhhhh Jersey's on the verge of bankruptcy
And the Coyotes haven't ceased operations.

Devils will continue to sign players.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:57 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
And the Coyotes haven't ceased operations.

Devils will continue to sign players.
they also need to get to the cap floor. looking at the amount of ufas they have and how many actually good players they have i dont see any way they let clarkson and zajac go for nothing via free agency ,even if lou needs to over pay them

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote