HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Joe Thornton

Old
11-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Joe Thornton is a franchise player right now. As such, he won't be traded unless it's for a young player with 1st line capabilities.

/End thread.
Much different than young franchise player. JVR is a young player with 1st line capabilities. He is not a franchise player.

Bernier the Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:32 PM
kevrondl

Sven Baertschi
Roman Horak
2013 1st Round Pick

I wouldn't even consider it from a Flames perspective, but I imagine that's what it would take.

kevrondl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrondl View Post
Sven Baertschi
Roman Horak
2013 1st Round Pick

I wouldn't even consider it from a Flames perspective, but I imagine that's what it would take.
If I were the Flames, I wouldn't think about dealing Bartschi for a second at this point unless a similar younger talent goes back Flames way. He is going to be star, IMO.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:32 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Schneider
Kassian
1st

We would win the cup IMHO w Joe.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:56 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
From the Habs

Plekanec
Galagher/Collberg
1st 2013

I personally wouldn't do this but I'm just wondering if the value is there. Habs get an upgrade on C, sharks get a 2C, solid prospect and a 1st rounder

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:05 AM
VerySuperFamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
From the Habs

Plekanec
Galagher/Collberg
1st 2013

I personally wouldn't do this but I'm just wondering if the value is there. Habs get an upgrade on C, sharks get a 2C, solid prospect and a 1st rounder
I might do that. But probably only if it's a top 5 pick and at the draft. Which I doubt the Habs do.

VerySuperFamous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:32 AM
DJOpus

Edler + Luongo for Thornton + Niemi?

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Sharks fans will be disappointed with the return.

You won't get a franchise young player in return. Not going to happen.

What you would get is three or four nice pieces back. Likely a team's top prospect (depending on said prospect, obviously), and two or three really nice prospects, young players, or picks. Teams simply do not trade franchise young players for aging stars.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Dusk Soldier

I think the center piece would be either a first round draft pick with a strong potential to be a top-five pick, or a player recently drafted in the top-ten.

It would have to be a player with the potential to be as good as he is today, not necessarily in his prime.

And then two more players (top-6 forward/ top-4 d-man level) that,combined, can replace his current production.

and they're would finally be some sort of cap dump to balance salaries between the two teams.

Dusk Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Edler + Luongo for Thornton + Niemi?
The Sharks need offense, not D.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:25 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

If Thornton was gonna get traded, it would probably be to a team in need of another center who were looking to go for the cup. In such a scenario, I think that the hypothetical team would have to give up a top end prospect, probably two first round picks, and a young player.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:45 AM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
If Thornton was gonna get traded, it would probably be to a team in need of another center who were looking to go for the cup. In such a scenario, I think that the hypothetical team would have to give up a top end prospect, probably two first round picks, and a young player.
WFT! Thornton didn't even yield that the first time he was traded. Wow, Paul Holmgren is an F'ing moron for not getting this type of return for Richards or Carter in their prime, no less. Keep Dreaming, Thornton won't net this as a 33 year old, sorry.

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:05 AM
AJ SF4L
#GoSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post
WFT! Thornton didn't even yield that the first time he was traded. Wow, Paul Holmgren is an F'ing moron for not getting this type of return for Richards or Carter in their prime, no less. Keep Dreaming, Thornton won't net this as a 33 year old, sorry.
At the time though, Thornton netted 3 former 1st rounders in Stuart (top 4 defenseman), Sturm (top 6 forward), and Primeau. And this was a Thornton who was sheltered as heavily as the Sedin twins. He has grown into a much more well-round player who still puts up 70+ points and handles defensive responsibilities. To think that the Sharks would trade him for anything less than overpayment is wishful thinking.

I'd also note that Holmgren got that level of return. Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, Couturier, and Grossmann is a pretty good return imo.

AJ SF4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:54 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by litflyersfan View Post
Pronger basically had that return when he was traded to Philly at 35. Sbisa, Lupul, and two firsts. He may not be a forward but a franchise center and a franchise defenseman are fairly comparable. Besides this is a hypothetical deadline deal to a Stanley Cup contender, teams overpay at the deadline. I think it would be believable in that situation.

Also, just because he didn't yield that much the first does not mean he should have gone for that much. Kovalchuk went to NJ for Oduya, Bergfors, Cormier, a 1st and 2nd. They both should have yielded more.

Anyways, Thornton is still one of the best and he's worth a lot to San Jose and there's no way he'll be traded for scraps.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:24 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

According to my NHL game. David Krejci, Jordan Caron and a draft pick.

Seriously, can't imagine Thornton being traded for anyone at this point. But if this is for the purpose of value only; then I'd say a younger 1st/2nd line center plus a young top 9 forward or top 4 defenseman, and a draft pick.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Oates2Neely

Buffalo would be an ideal landing spot for Joe.

Not a Canadien media frenzy, Vanek could ride shot-gun, a stable defense w/ Erhoff Myers & co, franchise goalie in Miller, & a versatile group of forwards.

What would it take from the Sabres to acquire Joe?

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:06 AM
roboninja
EYG

Frankly, would not even want him. Never liked the player and never expect a team led by him to find ultimate success.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
A youngish (no older than 27), franchise player or two/three REALLY good pieces.

Bottom line is: You won't get Thornton without completely imploding your franchise, which would defeat the purpose of acquiring Thornton in the first place.
"The price for Rick Nash is Logan Couture."

then again, the Sharks aren't exactly attempting to trade Thornton anytime soon, last I checked.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
"The price for Rick Nash is Logan Couture."

then again, the Sharks aren't exactly attempting to trade Thornton anytime soon, last I checked.
The fine print should be bigger, you know, because of how relevant it is to the situation. Consider the following scenarios:
  • Joe Manager calls up Doug Wilson and asks what he wants for Thornton.
  • Media reports suggest Thornton has asked for a trade.

I took the thread to be the former of the two scenarios. If it's latter, I wouldn't expect nearly as much out of the trade.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
The fine print should be bigger, you know, because of how relevant it is to the situation. Consider the following scenarios:
  • Joe Manager calls up Doug Wilson and asks what he wants for Thornton.
  • Media reports suggest Thornton has asked for a trade.

I took the thread to be the former of the two scenarios. If it's latter, I wouldn't expect nearly as much out of the trade.
And yet, so far as I can tell*, nobody here has actually come out and said that. They just keep saying "OMG WTF OVERPAY".

I recognize that we've all become jaded thanks to dip****s going "herp derp gretzky traded anybody can be duh huh" and "duhh u arent the gm u cant know FOR SURE lol im so witty", but, y'know, that's still relevant information that occasionally folks need to be made aware of.

*: Based on my recollection, and a quick re-skimming.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Visqi is top-1 poster on HF

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:26 PM
BigDmitriy

Send a message via AIM to BigDmitriy Send a message via MSN to BigDmitriy Send a message via Yahoo to BigDmitriy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Buffalo would be an ideal landing spot for Joe.

Not a Canadien media frenzy, Vanek could ride shot-gun, a stable defense w/ Erhoff Myers & co, franchise goalie in Miller, & a versatile group of forwards.

What would it take from the Sabres to acquire Joe?
A lot...Grigorenko, Ennis, 2nd/Adam

need to overpay for guys like Thornton, so Buffalo would never do this lol

BigDmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
And yet, so far as I can tell*, nobody here has actually come out and said that. They just keep saying "OMG WTF OVERPAY".

I recognize that we've all become jaded thanks to dip****s going "herp derp gretzky traded anybody can be duh huh" and "duhh u arent the gm u cant know FOR SURE lol im so witty", but, y'know, that's still relevant information that occasionally folks need to be made aware of.

*: Based on my recollection, and a quick re-skimming.
Do you go into every "Value of" thread with the assumption that the trade is predicated on the player asking for a trade?

I doubt there are very many Sharks fans who would say an over payment would be required if Joe wanted out. It's not even a "We want to trade Thornton, what will you give us for him" thread.

Last edited by SnS: 11-09-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:47 PM
sabrescupbound

San Jose has zero reason to trade Thornton at this moment. The return for him would not help them get a cup. But if there is a season, and come deadline time the Sharks are out of the playoff hunt, I could see them going to rebuild mode. At his age, I can't see him fetching anything crazy in return. He's prime to start loosing a few steps.

IMO if San Hose traded him at the deadline, I could see a 1st and a very good prospect or two decent prospects and a 2nd/3rd.

For instance, If Buffalo looked great come deadline time and San Jose was out of the hunt, I would say Luke Adam, JGL, and a third. That's if you overlook the cap issues.

Last edited by sabrescupbound: 11-09-2012 at 03:53 PM.
sabrescupbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:51 PM
aqsw
PM

Burm and Postma, Lets hear the hate!!

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote