HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part VI: The "What Comes Before Square One?" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2012, 06:10 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Problematique View Post
Still not looking good to be back before the start of December right? Pissed off as I'm on holiday in the U.S in a few weeks.

When's the deadline for cancelling games in December?
Probably 2 weeks before December 1st, so around November 16-17th.

McKenzie says a big day today.

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Try to refrain from hyperbole but sense today is BIG on NHL labor front. Suspect we find out if this is going north or south. #forkintheroad

Old
11-08-2012, 06:39 AM
DutchShamrock

Maybe I'll buy a ticket to a game so I can voice my displeasure with the NHL.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:44 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
One source says - way too early to think\say a deal is close to being done, however, others hint if today goes well agreement won't be far.
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...20291910483968

Tuesday was contract issues. Wednesday was revenue sharing and make whole. Today is make whole,revenue sharing and contract issues.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:53 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
PA vision of revenue-sharing is far more beneficial to league than owners' view but cant see players losing season of their careers over it.
https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/sta...76997981274112

$40M difference. PA wants $240M to be shared. NHL wants $200M to be shared.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:02 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Wonder how many Sponsors will follow the Molson-Coors lead with the NHL? No wonder Gary Bettman needs a deal.
https://twitter.com/SunGarrioch/stat...25034393243648

Quote:
Swinburn said that once the lockout ends, Molson Coors will seek financial compensation from the league over the negative impact that a lack of games has had on the hockey league sponsor.

"There will be some redress for us as a result of this. I can't quantify that and I don't know because I don't know the scale of how long the lockout is going to last."
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ales-down.html

Old
11-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Good!

We reap, what we sow.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:43 AM
jniklast

At least they finally do some real negotiations for some time without constant fighting over the media. To me that's encouraging. Or so it seems at least.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:17 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
OMG MEETINGS??? OMG TWEETS ABOUT THE MEETINGS???!!!!!

you guys are sheep... no offense, but you're the EXACT people Bettman knows will come crawling back; the people that need to change their underwear after every tweet by some random reporter nobody's ever heard of.

don't be a sucker. Just walk away.....

personally I don't care if the sport folds, at this point. I don't care about the players or owners, just as they obviously don't care about us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
I'll come back. You did too!

Old
11-08-2012, 08:56 AM
DutchShamrock

Does Molson still own the Habs?

Old
11-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Molson Family owns the Habs

I believe that's different than the Molson Coors company

Old
11-08-2012, 09:27 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Yeah, those morons sold the team to a rich guy for $275M, and the Molson family bought it back a few years later for $500M

Old
11-08-2012, 10:07 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Meetings in NYC set for early afternoon for players and league. Sounds like they have committed to meet atleast until tomorrow for sure.
Quote:
To be clear have been told by one group meetings will occur until Friday.Have been told by the other that Friday hasn't been discussed.
https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/statu...66961314557952

Must be the same group of people which told Dreger a deal isn't close and the others say a deal could be reached in the near future.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

These journalists and bloggers need to get their priorities straight. Theres so much conflicting information, because theres a gag order on both sides, and anything they're being fed is probably BS anyway. Let these negotiations happen in peace, so something can get done. Their hot stories could blow this whole thing up, and then they won't be able to cover the actual game for the rest of the year. Journalism can be just another form of prostitution sometimes.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:43 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Multiple sources told The Post that the NHLPA during Tuesday’s seven-hour session stated its opposition to all of the NHL’s proposed systems changes.

The league, we’re told, expressed willingness to negotiate these items in addition to, for the first time, amnesty buyouts.

Sources report that the NHL will not insist on contract terms limits but is committed to ending dramatically front-loaded deals that, in the league’s belief, have a deleterious effect on small-market clubs’ ability to compete. The NHL believes its proposed limit of year-to-year 5-percent variance within a contract would accomplish that objective.

The league does seem committed to turning Entry Level into a two-year contract and to pushing back unrestricted free agency by a year, to eight years of experience or to age 28.
Quote:
Both parties are under increasing pressure from their own constituencies to make what would be the best possible deal so that a 62-to-66 game season would begin no later than Dec. 1.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...3434SQMtLxkskL

Brooks also wrote about the make whole. Will it cover the first 2 years of the contract or the entire length of the contract? PA is proposing a gradual decrease with 50-50 in year 3 or 4. The NHL will get their 50-50 split.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:47 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Other issues include contract restrictions. Although the NHL proposed on Oct. 16 to limit contracts to five years, a source said the league would be willing to give up its bid to limit contract lengths. It would like to prevent teams from severely front-loading contracts, however, by limiting the year-to-year fluctuation in salary
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...session_today/

5% increase or decrease. Not the 50% dive.

Steve Fehr did say a month or so ago that it would take 6 hours to negotiate the deal after they got the HRR,revenue sharing and contract stuff hammered out.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:53 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

December 1 is a popular date

Quote:
Take this for what it's worth – gossip – but hearing some team employees being told to be prepared for possible season re-start on Dec. 1
https://twitter.com/JKTHN/status/266266065556885505

That's a Saturday. 10 day training camp. November 20.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Levitate

Wouldn't players like a 2 year limit on ELC's? Gets them to new, potentially more lucrative contract, a year faster

Old
11-08-2012, 10:59 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Wouldn't players like a 2 year limit on ELC's? Gets them to new, potentially more lucrative contract, a year faster
Less security for fellow-players who don't make it past that ELC though

Old
11-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Less security for fellow-players who don't make it past that ELC though
True but I guess it comes down to where they think they can get more money and who is the driving force...high draft picks would love to FA's sooner, other guys maybe not. Still have a feeling that'd be one area the NHLPA might not be as hardline on

Old
11-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Still think a deal will get done by the weekend or during. I bet we'll start on Thanksgiving/Black Friday... More available viewers, start the season with a bang. Similar to what the NBA did on Christmas Day.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:16 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Nick Kypreos said he believes the NHL and NHLPA are close on revenue sharing. Doug MacLean said today is key. Someone got that word out to everyone. If they can't get traction,they may shut down talks. Puts pressure on them to get something done. Talks are scheduled to continue tomorrow but they may not happen if can't get traction. They spent seven yours discussing the contract stuff on Tuesday. The PA won't budge on those issues.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

I am at a lose really.. So if I'm reading all this right, they're only getting started negotiating a month into the season? So really the only one's really being hurt by all of this is the fan. Rich owners and player's are losing money indeed, but obviously not enough to get this taken care of sooner. Pretty sad it's actually taken this long.
I would love to start a fan union and go on strike to wake these deep pocket as*holes up on both sides, if not for the fanbase these jokers would have to find real jobs. Never bite the hand that feeds you, both sides need to be sent a reminder....

Old
11-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Nick Kypreos said he believes the NHL and NHLPA are close on revenue sharing. Doug MacLean said today is key. Someone got that word out to everyone. If they can't get traction,they may shut down talks. Puts pressure on them to get something done. Talks are scheduled to continue tomorrow but they may not happen if can't get traction. They spent seven yours discussing the contract stuff on Tuesday. The PA won't budge on those issues.
Even if the NHL doesn't get FA pushed up, or even a year cap on contracts, as long as they get some form of cap circumvention protection, that will hold contract lengths down. If they get that and 50-50 in 2 years, that's still a pretty big win overall for them.

And it's still a loss for the players but not as bad as it could be.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:50 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
I am at a lose really.. So if I'm reading all this right, they're only getting started negotiating a month into the season? So really the only one's really being hurt by all of this is the fan. Rich owners and player's are losing money indeed, but obviously not enough to get this taken care of sooner. Pretty sad it's actually taken this long.
I would love to start a fan union and go on strike to wake these deep pocket as*holes up on both sides, if not for the fanbase these jokers would have to find real jobs. Never bite the hand that feeds you, both sides need to be sent a reminder....
Unfortunately the only time either side really feels compelled to negotiate is when they are actually losing money.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Another 1 PM start... maybe it'll turn into 3:30PM again.

Pat Leonard ‏@NYDNRangers
#NHL bargaining should begin in next 5-10 mins

Closed Thread