HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thread (V): Argos embarass Eskimos; Changes need to be made. Nichols seriously hurt.

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2012, 11:18 AM
phonyphreak

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Maybe if we had a better line, Sheritt would get for chances to blitz at the QB or to make picks. Saying he only did that good because the line sucked isn't fair.

If you're line is poor, you blitz from other areas, surprisingly we barely ever did that, and if someone like a DB or a LB got a sack, it was most likely a coverage sack.

as for picks Sherritt had a good amount of them this season, and prolly another 4-6 that he dropped...

Old
11-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Maybe if we had a better line, Sheritt would get for chances to blitz at the QB or to make picks. Saying he only did that good because the line sucked isn't fair.
Another way to look at is how many times did Bighill miss contain? How many times did Sherritt miss it? Several times more throughout the season and even in games where he was seeing around 10 tackles.
When Bighill keyed on a QB or RB this year it was sickening how few times he missed his mark or got covered. He's like a pitbull. Make no mistake Bighill is stronger, and harder to block off than Sherritt.
This is not to say anything bad about Sherritt. Pound for pound he's a supreme football player and if there was an award for that hands down he wins. He's not as big as other linebackers. Nobody tries harder than Sherritt. Just some other guys have some size advantage without giving up any speed.

Finally, Sherritt thinks the game damn well but his weakness is over reaction, too quick a read. Sometimes he takes himself right out of a play reading the wrong play early. The same thing that allows him to be quick on a tackle allows him to be standing out in leftfield as a guy scampers for 25yds or a TD behind him.

The Eskimos have given up a ton of long run TD's off of simple runs where they just get beat and blocked out. Or simply looking at the wrong play.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonyphreak View Post
wow, you couldn't be more wrong.
Wow. Silly post considering you didn't rebut any of it.

Thanks for contributing to the thread though..

Old
11-08-2012, 11:27 AM
phonyphreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Another way to look at is how many times did Bighill miss contain? How many times did Sherritt miss it? Several times more throughout the season and even in games where he was seeing around 10 tackles.
When Bighill keyed on a QB or RB this year it was sickening how few times he missed his mark or got covered. He's like a pitbull. Make no mistake Bighill is stronger, and harder to block off than Sherritt.
This is not to say anything bad about Sherritt. Pound for pound he's a supreme football player and if there was an award for that hands down he wins. He's not as big as other linebackers. Nobody tries harder than Sherritt. Just some other guys have some size advantage without giving up any speed.

Finally, Sherritt thinks the game damn well but his weakness is over reaction, too quick a read. Sometimes he takes himself right out of a play reading the wrong play early. The same thing that allows him to be quick on a tackle allows him to be standing out in leftfield as a guy scampers for 25yds or a TD behind him.

The Eskimos have given up a ton of long run TD's off of simple runs where they just get beat and blocked out. Or simply looking at the wrong play.

IMO Bighill and Sherritt are pretty even in every aspect. Bighill (love the name), is surrounded by a better crew IMO, and a better D scheme.

Bighill:
5 '10
104 tackles
9 Sacks
1 Fumble recovery
4 ints.

Sherritt:
5'9
130 tackles ( new CFL record)
3 Sacks
1 Fumble Recovery
5 ints.

Pretty damn even imo. Sheritt is the right choice for the award - remember if he didnt get injuried and miss game time - he would have shattered the record.

One thing I'm sure we can agree on, is it'll be fun to watch these two go head to head for years to come

Old
11-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I agree with this, but I really believe I saw a lot of Sherritt tackles made after poor attempts were made from a revamped defensive line due to injury. He is a great player, no question, but IMO, I think Bighill did merit some serious consideration for an award. Team-mates will always pump up a another team-mate. Understandable.
He was leading the league in tackles from pretty early in the season, even before all the injuries to the D-line so I dont think that's the big difference. I look more towards our incompetent offence which left our D on the field for that many more plays and that many more chances to make a tackle.

Sherritt is a great player and I'm glad we have him, he's one of the best in the league at his position. He's not clear and away the best, you certainly could make an arguement for Bighill in BC but let's face it Sherrit had a great year and with the record it's no surprise he beat him out for an award. Bighill will likely get a chance to play for the only award that matters, the Grey Cup, so while I respect the arguement I wont be crying for Bighill any time soon.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:37 AM
phonyphreak

Quote:
Wow. Silly post considering you didn't rebut any of it.

Thanks for contributing to the thread though..

Quote:
Its not at all absurd. Sherritts stat is very much an artifact of the injuries on this club, lack of starting middle linebacker talent
Well for one there's your first mistake. Sherritt is the reason why Davis was not re-signed. Many people thought this was the worst move possible and a bad decision. Well, Sherritt ( in his 2nd year, first as a starter) is better than Davis.

So Bighill posts up 104 tackles, but its all about him being a beast, while Sherritt was just a product of a bad Oline ? BigHill was the first person to make contact lots of times, hence the 104 tackles. Same for Sherritt. Its not every tackle is made via a running play, numerous tackles where made when they tackles a receiver. Its the life of a LB, if the line lets the go by its his job to stop them. By your theory if Bighill was an Eskimo, he would have got 230 tackles.

Either your a massive BC /Bighill fan, or you're still mad Sherritt took Davis' spot. :p

Old
11-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
IMO Bighill and Sherritt are pretty even in every aspect. Bighill (love the name), is surrounded by a better crew IMO, and a better D scheme.

Bighill:
5 '10
104 tackles
9 Sacks
1 Fumble recovery
4 ints.

Sherritt:
5'9
130 tackles ( new CFL record)
3 Sacks
1 Fumble Recovery
5 ints.

Pretty damn even imo. Sheritt is the right choice for the award - remember if he didnt get injuried and miss game time - he would have shattered the record.

One thing I'm sure we can agree on, is it'll be fun to watch these two go head to head for years to come
Yeah this time thanks for actuallly responding with something.

I agree that they are somewhat equal with the exception that Sheritt cheats on more, overreacts as I've stated, gets sealed out easier because he ends up on the wrong side of the play. Its that Sheritt reads so quickly (sometimes the wrong play) that he ends up out of play and watching a TD run against cross right where he should be. Sheritt plays a higher risk/reward game than Bighill and is first to acknowledge it.
Also that he's played multiple games with close to 10 tackles where by his own admission he played poorly because of the ones that got by him. (yeah he's a perfectionist as well and will keep getting better)

Bighill is better as the contain assignment guy. He gets an assignment and that player is dead, shutdown. Closest thing to automatic out there in the CFL. Sure having a highly skilled D around him affords more opportunity to play within constraints of the system. Sherrit more likely due to breakdowns around him being more likely to overcompensate.

Its an interesting discussion and yeah I agree its a pleasure to watch either of these players going forward. Plus that I think they both end up in the league the rest of their careers in what will be a classic matchup. If Sherritts body and health hold out he's going to be one for the ages. His focus, determination, and hardwork is unparalleled.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:39 AM
phonyphreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
He was leading the league in tackles from pretty early in the season, even before all the injuries to the D-line so I dont think that's the big difference.
exactly

Old
11-08-2012, 11:41 AM
vanwest

Lurking BC Lions' fan.
I think Sherritt deserves the award. He shattered the tackles record while missing time and they were pretty even on other stats. Sherritt is an amazing player and that record has stood for a long time. Probably the only real injustice is that there has to be one candidate from the East and one from the West as both deserve to be finalists.I agree with the poster who said that it will be fun to watch those two for years to come. The best part is that they're both probably too small to bolt for the NFL which is even better.

Best of luck on the weekend.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:42 AM
phonyphreak

Quote:
Yeah this time thanks for actuallly responding with something.

I agree that they are somewhat equal with the exception that Sheritt cheats on more, overreacts as I've stated, gets sealed out easier because he ends up on the wrong side of the play. Its that Sheritt reads so quickly (sometimes the wrong play) that he ends up out of play and watching a TD run against cross right where he should be. Sheritt plays a higher risk/reward game than Bighill and is first to acknowledge it.
Also that he's played multiple games with close to 10 tackles where by his own admission he played poorly because of the ones that got by him. (yeah he's a perfectionist as well and will keep getting better)

Bighill is better as the contain assignment guy. He gets an assignment and that player is dead, shutdown. Closest thing to automatic out there in the CFL. Sure having a highly skilled D around him affords more opportunity to play within constraints of the system. Sherrit more likely due to breakdowns around him being more likely to overcompensate.

Its an interesting discussion and yeah I agree its a pleasure to watch either of these players going forward. Plus that I think they both end up in the league the rest of their careers in what will be a classic matchup. If Sherritts body and health hold out he's going to be one for the ages. His focus, determination, and hardwork is unparalleled.

ya sorry about that, got busy at work so i didnt finish the post...

Bighill is good, there is no argument there. There's things Sherritt needs to work on for sure, like his one on tackling, I'd bet he isn't happy Cornish beat him 1 on 1 those times.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Well for one there's your first mistake. Sherritt is the reason why Davis was not re-signed. Many people thought this was the worst move possible and a bad decision. Well, Sherritt ( in his 2nd year, first as a starter) is better than Davis.

So Bighill posts up 104 tackles, but its all about him being a beast, while Sherritt was just a product of a bad Oline ? BigHill was the first person to make contact lots of times, hence the 104 tackles. Same for Sherritt. Its not every tackle is made via a running play, numerous tackles where made when they tackles a receiver. Its the life of a LB, if the line lets the go by its his job to stop them. By your theory if Bighill was an Eskimo, he would have got 230 tackles.

Either your a massive BC /Bighill fan, or you're still mad Sherritt took Davis' spot.
I'm a big Sherrit fan, but this doesn't preclude me from seeing his current limitations that he himself would agree with.

Do you doubt that BC has fielded a much better D line than the Eskimos and that this hasn't been a statistical truth? Please show your work if you do doubt it.

The Esks have been the worst run D most of the year. What this means is that a considerable portion of tackles are happening in the backfield, and less, at the line. Again CFL keeps stats on this that would back up my supposition. BC has multiple other players that gobble up tackles before Bighill can or should get in range. Conversely due to the absolute depletion here Sherrit has been able to play free reign more. While he states he doesn't go hunting specifically for tackles his on field play this year has said other things.

I expect he will improve and mature. Pretty incredible player. Not sure why you think I was saying anything other.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
ya sorry about that, got busy at work so i didnt finish the post...

Bighill is good, there is no argument there. There's things Sherritt needs to work on for sure, like his one on tackling, I'd bet he isn't happy Cornish beat him 1 on 1 those times.
No worries, thanks for bringing the discussion. We're both fans of the quality game and can appreciate our players as well as opponents. They're both really good players. I'd rather be drinking beer with Sheritt. Bighill has a bit of an ahole component to him. Or maybe it just ends up looking that way playing on that Leos D.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:54 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 394
TSNDaveNaylor: Argos expected to announce a contract extension for head coach Scott Milanovich today

Old
11-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Not really, generally guys are under contract still. Sure they might have nothing to do with the team, but generally they still get a pay cheque until the contract runs out or until the team allows them to leave.

Again, was he out right released from his deal? Does anyone know?

If he was then that's a mistake, should've just been fired and made sit on his butt for a year. Especially knowing he wants to go to Toronto.

Again, what they do with his pay check or not is irrelevant. You're only under contract until it is finished or you are fired. He was released by the club. That means he can go where he wants. How his remaining contract is paid out is irrelevant.

Old
11-08-2012, 01:47 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 210
I don't know if it's been stated, but Gregor is stating that Reed has announced Joseph to start.

UGH

Old
11-08-2012, 01:49 PM
phonyphreak

Quote:
No worries, thanks for bringing the discussion. We're both fans of the quality game and can appreciate our players as well as opponents. They're both really good players. I'd rather be drinking beer with Sheritt. Bighill has a bit of an ahole component to him. Or maybe it just ends up looking that way playing on that Leos D.
one thing that will be interesting is how long does Sherritts record last? One year maybe, because either one of those two could break it next season

Old
11-08-2012, 01:53 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

hahaha..Joseph is starting?

I blame Tillman

Old
11-08-2012, 01:54 PM
phonyphreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
I don't know if it's been stated, but Gregor is stating that Reed has announced Joseph to start.

UGH
this is stupid imo. i understand why go with the vet who's done it before, but with Nichols the team seems to have more spring in their step.

Personally, I'd have more faith in Nichols to finally get us some points in the first quarter - a rarity for the Esks.

Even if Joesph starts I'd bet his leash is very,very short. At least it better be. Few series in and he hasn't moved the ball, yank him. No second guessing it, unlike last game when Reed said" ya, i should have put Nichols in earlier". Joesph faults, get him out PDQ!

Old
11-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post

I blame Tillman
He better not get a leash any longer than 1 quarter.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:02 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Again, what they do with his pay check or not is irrelevant. You're only under contract until it is finished or you are fired. He was released by the club. That means he can go where he wants. How his remaining contract is paid out is irrelevant.
This isn't correct. Unless they worked out a deal on the side. Pat Quinn was fired, but wasn't free to go where he wanted.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:17 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 0
Lol @ Reed #Eskimosareajoke

Old
11-08-2012, 02:18 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
This isn't correct. Unless they worked out a deal on the side. Pat Quinn was fired, but wasn't free to go where he wanted.
Tillman is still being paid by Saskatchewan.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:19 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Tillman is still being paid by Saskatchewan.
And he probably needed permission before coming here. That's what I'm asking, did we outright release this guy or do we still have ability to block his future for a year.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:21 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
And he probably needed permission before coming here. That's what I'm asking, did we outright release this guy or do we still have ability to block his future for a year.
Is that a fact or an assumption you are making?

Old
11-08-2012, 02:26 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post

I blame Tillman
I'm 62% sure you're joking, but Tillman wanted Nichols to start the last while and advised Kavis to start him.

This is Kavis's decision, just as playing Joseph these last few weeks has been.

Closed Thread