HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 500
Now imagine what he could do if he had some people to play with. Like if he was with the wheat kings instead of reinhart

Old
11-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Absolutely not. haha I meant to specify. Seperate himself from the rest of the D prospects. Hes got a long way to go to get letang and karlsson status..
be careful lol , as a sens fan, the slightest miss communication can turn into

" His 21 year old season is on the level of Orr and Potvin's 21 year old season statistically"

" OMGZ YOU THINK KARLSONN IS BETTER THAN ORRR !!!11111 HOMVEr OVERRATED PLAYER!!1" ,

Old
11-08-2012, 12:01 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Player comparison: Mike Green amiright?
Rielly is an elite skater, Green is alright but I think Riellys skating will put him in another tier.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:08 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security Guard Chang View Post
be careful lol , as a sens fan, the slightest miss communication can turn into

" His 21 year old season is on the level of Orr and Potvin's 21 year old season statistically"

" OMGZ YOU THINK KARLSONN IS BETTER THAN ORRR !!!11111 HOMVEr OVERRATED PLAYER!!1" ,
In all honesty your right. I will make note.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

Rielly's had a great start to the year, hopefully he can keep it up. Once/if the lockout's resolved he'll probably get a 9 game look in the NHL so he can see first hand what NHL-level competition is like, and what areas of his game he needs to improve upon. The WJC should also be a great experience for him, playing with/against the best players in the world in his age group. I've never been this excited about a Leafs prospect before, every time I watch him play he impresses me more and more; hopefully the kid's the real deal!

Old
11-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Rielly is an elite skater, Green is alright but I think Riellys skating will put him in another tier.
Green's defence is atrocious, he's like a rover out there. Reilly probably has better wheels and will probably end up being a better all around defender.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:27 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
I know I pump Rielly's tires a lot and make the videos and such, but it would be foolish to overlook the fact that Morgan DID get caught up the ice a lot last night. I think anyone who watched the game would agree.

I do think he needs to rein it in a bit 5 on 5. On the PP and 4 on 4, he's dynamite... absolutely lethal. 5 on 5 I think he should use the rest of the year to focus on the defensive side of his game.

He's got an Erik Karlsson like ability and mind to know when to join the rush and pressure offensively, but he doesn't quite have Karlsson's ability to identify when to bail out and get back just yet. It hasn't come back to bite him yet because, well...he's so much better than everyone else in the WHL that he rarely gets caught. At the next level, I think he might get a wake up call when he's not able to do whatever he wants with the puck down low in the o-zone and he'll find himself caught more often.
He's one of the go to guys offensively on Moose Jaw this season, so perhaps Stothers will overlook some of the turnovers (from the games I have watched he hardly ever gets caught up or giveaways the puck, except in games against Red Deer and Prince Albert).

Old
11-08-2012, 12:31 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Green's defence is atrocious, he's like a rover out there. Reilly probably has better wheels and will probably end up being a better all around defender.
someone is about 2 years late, if theres a season this year you should check him out

Old
11-08-2012, 12:35 PM
ponder

Quote:
Rielly clips from tonight:

Follow the twitter: https://twitter.com/antontibaldi
Perfect example of why you need to watch the games right here. Players on stacked teams that blow out the opposition on a regular basis can pick up assists pretty much just by being on the ice. Moose Jaw, on the other hand, just don't have any elite offensive players except Rielly. Fioretti had a hot start, but he's really not *THAT* good, and he has just 7 points in his last 12 games. Rielly was pretty dominant offensively in this game, but still finished with just 1 assist, because he has to work very hard for every point on a team that doesn't have a tonne of weapons. Still has plenty of work to do defensively, and he could stand to take less risks offensively (although you could argue his team NEEDS him to take those risks), but his offensive talent is extremely impressive.

Last edited by ponder: 11-08-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old
11-09-2012, 06:06 AM
Ruah

Leafs will try Rielly out at Center.....LOL....I kid.

Nice video

Old
11-09-2012, 07:00 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Mike Green scored 30 goals.

Old
11-09-2012, 07:06 AM
Vajakki

His skating and skills look excellent. Like, super excellent, on an elite level even by NHL standards. If he can translate that into NHL without being a liability in the defensive zone, the Leafs have a gem in their hands.

And it's about time already. Leafs have been arguably the worst team after the 04/05 lockout and got pretty much nothing to show from it.

Old
11-09-2012, 07:09 AM
mapes

Quote:
Green is definitely a very good skater. I was jl anyways, just how someone said he's a 4th forward

Old
11-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Crabovski*

How are people watching this kid play nobody ever streams **** and unless you live in Moose Jaw Im pretty sure your not getting a broadcast. Im not paying 6$ to watch a game online. Stupid cost. If the prices were reasonable Id buy a package but ****, guess Im waiting till WHL plays Russia in the superseries.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:54 PM
habsfanatics

He's got Brian Leetch written all over him. I absolutely love this kid. I hope he continues to dominate. Looks like the best guy on the ice every time he's out there. He's a special talent.

It's refreshing to see a kid with this kind of skill on the back end that doesn't always play the cautious safe approach. We need more Morgan Rielly's.

I can't see him not making an immediate impact in the NHL. He's that good imo.

Old
11-09-2012, 02:57 PM
BIitz

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
He's got Brian Leetch written all over him. I absolutely love this kid. I hope he continues to dominate. Looks like the best guy on the ice every time he's out there. He's a special talent.

It's refreshing to see a kid with this kind of skill on the back end that doesn't always play the cautious safe approach. We need more Morgan Rielly's.

Morgan Rielly's for all! Except the Blue Jackets, you get Mike Reilly's.

Old
11-09-2012, 03:02 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post

He makes great plays almost consistently. I've also been closely following his defensive game and his positioning is wonderful as well. He must be buying into what the coach is emphasizing / teaching because his positioning in the defensive zone is smoothly methodical and he doesn't seem to be out of position very often, if it all. When he does get caught out of position, his skating allows him to effortlessly get back into the play. He's not shy using his body in the corners or along the half-wall either.

If Morgan Rielly continues to improve, there's little doubt in my mind that he will be a number one d-man in the NHL. He's just as good as Murray.

Old
11-09-2012, 04:32 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 100
temper your expectations leaf fans. This kid will be good but no one defense prospect is a lock for the first pairing at 18 years old at this point in time.

I am a leaf fan, and I am excited about him. But he has about as good of a chance to end up on the third pairing as he does the first right now.

Old
11-09-2012, 04:42 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
temper your expectations leaf fans. This kid will be good but no one defense prospect is a lock for the first pairing at 18 years old at this point in time.

I am a leaf fan, and I am excited about him. But he has about as good of a chance to end up on the third pairing as he does the first right now.
I guess this post is directed towards me.

Notice that I put an emphasis on the word if in regard to Morgan improving.

Old
11-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Crispy Crust

Quote:

Of course.

Old
11-09-2012, 05:04 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabovski View Post
How are people watching this kid play nobody ever streams **** and unless you live in Moose Jaw Im pretty sure your not getting a broadcast. Im not paying 6$ to watch a game online. Stupid cost. If the prices were reasonable Id buy a package but ****, guess Im waiting till WHL plays Russia in the superseries.
Most just judge by highlights or what they hear (not saying they should but thats all they got). But others can see him outside of MJ just not as often.

I do know people who do pay high prices for games but not me. I did twice and the quality was terrible. Never ever again

Can't wait until the W plays Russia

Old
11-09-2012, 05:11 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Most just judge by highlights or what they hear (not saying they should but thats all they got). But others can see him outside of MJ just not as often.

I do know people who do pay high prices for games but not me. I did twice and the quality was terrible. Never ever again

Can't wait until the W plays Russia
I've been making the highlight videos for Morgan and the quality you see in them is not quite as good as the live stream, but it's pretty close.

TBH, the WHL Livestream is the best quality of any league. AHL Live is atrocious and I would never spend a dime on it, but I do see value in purchasing the WHL one.

Old
11-09-2012, 05:45 PM
ponder

Quote:

I think most Leafs fans see him spending this season in the WHL, then having a solid shot to make the Leafs on the bottom pairing a year from now. Ideally it would be great to get him some AHL experience right now, but obviously that's not possible.

His skating, puck handling, and general abilities with the puck are all NHL level already, but I have a feeling it'll take some time for him to learn what he can and can't get away with against men in the AHL/NHL. He's very aggressive offensively right now, as he should be at the WHL level, but when starts playing against pros he'll need to learn to pick his spots better. Also, like most offensive dmen, it'll likely take him a few years of pro experience to start becoming solid in his own end. His potential is outstanding, he does remind me of guys like Erik Karlsson (without the insanely good shot), Kris Letang (without the nasty edge), and Brian Campbell, but I think the vast, vast majority of Leafs fans realize that he's just 18, and when he breaks into the NHL it'll be as as a bottom, not top pairing dman.

Last edited by ponder: 11-09-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old
11-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Just like Jake, he will have to prove himself to move up.

Old
11-09-2012, 06:18 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
I've been making the highlight videos for Morgan and the quality you see in them is not quite as good as the live stream, but it's pretty close.

TBH, the WHL Livestream is the best quality of any league. AHL Live is atrocious and I would never spend a dime on it, but I do see value in purchasing the WHL one.
Yeah, the WHL streams are pretty good quality, especially the home games for Moose Jaw.

Closed Thread