HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2012, 05:08 PM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
It's not that I don't believe in Poulin or Nilsson but having Fucale would round out our stable of goaltending prospects very nicely.
I completley agree.

If he is considered the BPA when we pick I would not mind if we took him.

As long as we dont pass over some of the highly touted players to do so.

Injuries aside it was a mistake to pass over Gaborik or Heatley for DP.

DiPietro was very good but you dont pick a goalie 1st overall imho unless he is ABSOLUTLEY a generational talent and there are no other foward or defensive prospects that are rated so very high

they way I see it here are a few names I would take ahead of Fucale

NAT MAC
Jones
Ristolienen
Barkov
Monohan
Shinurkruk
Drouin
Pulock

Thats 8 and im sure there will be other players besides these that will be available that you could make a case for us picking

Old
11-05-2012, 06:31 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

For those interested, I was scanning the schedule and the Subway Series is being shown on NHLN from 7-10 tonight. Would be a chance to get a good look at MacKinnon and see what all the hype is about. Also a chance to see Nichushkin who is supposed to really have the goods.

From my knowledge, I don't think the Isles have anyone in this game. I guess we'll get a good look at Strome when the Russians play the OHL and Reinhart when they play the WHL.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:02 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
For those interested, I was scanning the schedule and the Subway Series is being shown on NHLN from 7-10 tonight. Would be a chance to get a good look at MacKinnon and see what all the hype is about. Also a chance to see Nichushkin who is supposed to really have the goods.

From my knowledge, I don't think the Isles have anyone in this game. I guess we'll get a good look at Strome when the Russians play the OHL and Reinhart when they play the WHL.
Mackinnon reminds me of mike bossy. Not just the jersey number, but his ability to hover around the slot, the amazing release and quick hands...better skater and bit more physical than bossy.

This is not to suggest he will be as good as bossy, please don't misinterpret....but certainly a top tier talent who stands out. Yakupov looks real good too.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:42 PM
IslandersFan17

All the hype around Nathan, I think the kid Sasha Barkov might end up being the best player out of this draft, heck not just this draft but of the past couple of drafts.

I would absolutely love to add Seth Jones, although I love our defensive prospect pool I would give anything to add Seth. Seth and Reinhart will easily be one of the best defensive pairings the NHL has. In our division that will be a premium considering-

Rangers- Continue to try and buy a Cup.
Penguins- Crosby and Malkin are still the class of the league.
Flyers- Well, seems like regardless, they will beat us lol.
Devils- The only team that we seem to be able to give a good game from time to time. However, they did just compete for a Cup. Parise left, but they are still a well oiled franchise.

Thus, we need these bigger, more physical guys, with reach and the ability to throw the body.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:23 AM
YashinWorksHard

I only watched the first period but Mackinnon is fun to watch, great rushes coast to coast, always around the net, playing fast.. Unfortunately Nichushkin and Yakimov were the scratches, i think Pedan should made the Russia's Roster. Maybe for the WJC.. i would love to see Russo making the USA team too!

Old
11-06-2012, 06:50 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
I only watched the first period but Mackinnon is fun to watch, great rushes coast to coast, always around the net, playing fast.. Unfortunately Nichushkin and Yakimov were the scratches, i think Pedan should made the Russia's Roster. Maybe for the WJC.. i would love to see Russo making the USA team too!
Russo was rated higher than we wound up picking him. We got lucky with that pick (good job scouts for snagging him). I believe he was picked as one of the top 3 players for the USA at the WU18's a few years back. I remember he was one of the top scoring d-men at that tournament. He had a solid freshman season at ND, and is now stepping it up a notch, tied for 3rd in scoring on the team I believe. Just another of the dozens of D-men prospects we now have, even if 25% of them work out we will be in good shape.

Old
11-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
If there was ever a time for the NHL to fix a lottery to have the Isles land another potential stud to take to Brooklyn, I hope it would be Now.

Im a guy who would love a game changing franchise defensman, but Mackinnon next to Tavares would be unreal.

The whole first half of the first round is going to produce top 6 fowards and top 4 dmen and mayby even more....

Besides the Obvious 2 here are some guys I like

INPO

Barkov
Pulock
Monahan
Domi
Shinkurak
Ristolainen-I have a feeling he is going to be a monster
Rychel

We have Poulin and Nilsson as potential #1 starting Goalies for the future, but lets say that there is a lottery and we end up being in the bottom 10 of the first round, if all the top talents and game breakersare gone I would Pick Zach Fucale, if he does not go top 10 or 15 which I expect him too and by some chance happens to be available late I would pick him. Hes going to be a very good Goalie for a very long time with the potential to be great.

also Anton Slepyshev who was passed over this passed draft will not be passed over again, I would love to be the team that uses a late round pick on him.
I was thinking the same thing!
Follow the Pittsburgh model..."rig" the draft for the Isles to get the stud and he'll be ready to go when the Isles move, creating even more excitement.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:29 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

Grigorenko from Zlobin for the first goal of the game. Someone tell me how the hell we didn't wind up with both of these studs ? I like Reinhart but Grigirenko is gonna be a stud. And I'd take Zlobin over Ledoufus and Somerby any day of the week.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:09 AM
YashinWorksHard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Grigorenko from Zlobin for the first goal of the game. Someone tell me how the hell we didn't wind up with both of these studs ? I like Reinhart but Grigirenko is gonna be a stud. And I'd take Zlobin over Ledoufus and Somerby any day of the week.
You should ask to the same guy who traded up for De Haan with the 12th pick.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:13 AM
CodeE

Quote:
So many good players in this draft, if the season is cancelled how many balls do we get in the lottery?
People have said two, but I've heard three.

It's playoff appearances & #1 draft picks for the past three years that lose you balls in the lottery. Last three #1 picks have been Yakupov, RNH, Hall, so grabbing Tavares in '09 won't lose us a ball.

Old
11-06-2012, 12:44 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
People have said two, but I've heard three.

It's playoff appearances & #1 draft picks for the past three years that lose you balls in the lottery. Last three #1 picks have been Yakupov, RNH, Hall, so grabbing Tavares in '09 won't lose us a ball.
last lockout i think it was 5 years of first overall, not 3 years.

edit: just read up on it. It was
(a) playoff appearances in the last 3 years
(b) first overalls in the last 4 years

that subtracted a ball from the starting 3.

Last edited by luki here: 11-06-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old
11-07-2012, 03:16 PM
seafoam

vCash: 446
I wonder how much Isles scouts are paying attention to Griff's teammate Curtis Lazar. He is a center who has a wicked shot, shoots lazars and has an amazing motor. He'll probably anywhere from 5-15 in the draft. If he falls it will be because of his numbers, which could end up low because there are veterans that currently carrying the offensive load. I wouldn't be suprised to see his numbers climb next year when he gets more scoring minutes. I would put him at four on my ranking.

MacKinnon
Jones
Barkov
Lazar
Pulock
Monahan
so on...

Old
11-07-2012, 03:36 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
I wonder how much Isles scouts are paying attention to Griff's teammate Curtis Lazar. He is a center who has a wicked shot, shoots lazars and has an amazing motor. He'll probably anywhere from 5-15 in the draft. If he falls it will be because of his numbers, which could end up low because there are veterans that currently carrying the offensive load. I wouldn't be suprised to see his numbers climb next year when he gets more scoring minutes. I would put him at four on my ranking.

MacKinnon
Jones
Barkov
Lazar
Pulock
Monahan
so on...
I'm a big fan of Lazar. I don't think he's at the level of the names above, but I love his style of play. The Shane Doan comparisons, me likey and me likey a lot. I like that he's a RH shot too as the Isles don't have many.

I've said it before, I see the biggest needs as a sniper and another stud d-man. I salivate for MacKinnon and Jones obviously as either one would be BPA AND fill our most glaring needs, but I prefer people like Ristolainen, Pulock, Shinkaruk, and the two centers (Monahan and Barkov) over Lazar. I might change my mind as the season goes, but that's what I'd like to see.

We have a pretty good system, but I don't see a pure sniper in there. We did draft Reinhart, but adding another stud blueliner to the mix would just increase our chances of filling that glaring hole back there. 2 chances at hitting is much better than putting all the eggs in one basket. If you add Mayfield, then that's 3 chances at hitting. Just how I see it.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Konk

Quote:

MacKinnon
Jones
Barkov
Lazar
Pulock
Monahan
so on...
He's my early season candidate to end up as the Isles pick. As much as I would love to see Jones, I don't think the Isles will be so lucky. As with every year, they seem to pick just outside of the top tier. I think this year will be the same and Lazar would be a great choice.

His upside is underrated and he's probably going to end up one of the top 10 players from the draft when all is said and done, whether he's picked top 10 or not (I think he will be).

He's a do what it takes to win type of player and has top line skill along with gritty physical play to top it all off. He's the total package and if the Isles want to build a winner he'd be a great pick.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:27 PM
scott99

Lazar has excellent speed also. I would not complain if the Isles wound up with Lazar. Still hoping for Mackinnon, Jones or Barkov though.

Old
11-07-2012, 08:30 PM
scott99

Btw, three Isle's prospects will be playing in this series. Strome will be playing in both OHL vs Russia games, Pelech will be playing in OHL game 2 vs Russia. Reinhart I believe plays in game 2 of WHL vs Russia.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:04 AM
startainfection

Quote:
So many good players in this draft, if the season is cancelled how many balls do we get in the lottery?

Old
11-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
To be honest, I kind of think that when it comes to the Russkies, our staff isn't very enthusiastic about grabbing them unless they fall into the category of 'Once considered 1st round talent who has dropped into round 3 or further solely for "extracurricular" reasons'.

I can fully understand not having wanted to take Grigorenko top 5, but I too really was scratching my head about Zlobin.

Especially considering that he was Kabanov's teammate. Unless of course the scouting staff talked with Kabanov and Kirill had some bad things to say about him??? Who knows? And would it have even mattered?

Anyhow, yes, it would have seemed a bit logical to take a shot on the guy, especially when he was there to be had in rounds 6 and 7.

On the other hand, we're gonna have to see if the staff knew what it was doing with its pics in rounds 4-7. Leduc does have a physical package that makes you wonder if they didn't see something in him that could first really start to show itself in 2-3 years. Big, gangly men can be like that when it comes to development. As for the high schoolers, we don't really know a thing about them. For all we know, one could end up being the next Justin Schultz. Taking a shot at Graham (who's not exactly lightin' it up with points or +/-) where we did could give us the next Spurgeon, Kichton or Dehart?

This said, alone with respect to the all-Dman course of draft action, I know of a few specific forwards I'd much rather have seen be taken and Zlobin is one of them. A few others I had targeted as late rounders who went in rounds 5-7 include 7th rounder Matt Deblouw (nice start at Michigan State), 6th rounder Max Gortz (doing very well in the SEL), 6th rounder Riley Barber (liked what I saw at U-18, off to great start for U of Miami), 5th rounder Thomas Spelling (underrated overage Dane now in SEL, currently injured), 5th rounder Daniel O'Regan (another Team USA U-18er off to great start at BU), 5th rounder Brandon Troock (big-bodied WHLer with upside) and 5th rounder Charles Hudon (smaller offensive whiz in QMJHL who has played in several tournies for Team Canada). But I digress...

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 11-08-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old
11-08-2012, 10:09 AM
startainfection

with mackinnon now moved to right wing i could just imagine what him and tavares could do together a few years down the road

Old
11-08-2012, 10:20 AM
kuwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
To be honest, I kind of think that when it comes to the Russkies, our staff isn't very enthusiastic about grabbing them unless they fall into the category of 'Once considered 1st round talent who has dropped into round 3 or further solely for "extracurricular" reasons'.

I can fully understand not having wanted to take Grigorenko top 5, but I too really was scratching my head about Zlobin.

Especially considering that he was Kabanov's teammate. Unless of course the scouting staff talked with Kabanov and Kirill had some bad things to say about him??? Who knows? And would it have even mattered?

Anyhow, yes, it would have seemed a bit logical to take a shot on the guy, especially when he was there to be had in rounds 6 and 7.

On the other hand, we're gonna have to see if the staff knew what it was doing with its pics in rounds 4-7. Leduc does have a physical package that makes you wonder if they didn't see something in him that could first really start to show itself in 2-3 years. Big, gangly men can be like that when it comes to development. As for the high schoolers, we don't really know a thing about them. For all we know, one could end up being the next Justin Schultz. Taking a shot at Graham (who's not exactly lightin' it up with points or +/-) where we did could give us the next Spurgeon, Kichton or Dehart?

This said, alone with respect to the all-Dman course of draft action, I know of a few specific forwards I'd much rather have seen be taken and Zlobin is one of them.
Yeah, and for me one of those guys was smallish but tenacious forward Gemel Smith who left good impression at the U18 WC in Czech Republic and he was picked by Dallas right after the Leduc selection. And he is having a pretty solid seasom from statistical standpoint.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:24 AM
YashinWorksHard

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
Three or two? This is confusing..

I dream with Sasha Barkov in a Isles jersey every night

Anyway, i think we need a winger more than a centre. Shinkaruk, Erne, Burakovsky, Nichushkin.. can be good options.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:32 AM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
Three or two? This is confusing..

I dream with Sasha Barkov in a Isles jersey every night

Anyway, i think we need a winger more than a centre. Shinkaruk, Erne, Burakovsky, Nichushkin.. can be good options.
i think it is times picked first overall in the last 3 years and times made the play offs in the last 5 but I'm not entirely sure

Old
11-08-2012, 11:53 AM
luki here

Quote:
i remember reading a source that claimed 2005 balls depended on the last 3 years of playoffs and last 4 years of first overalls. Just now i read up on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_nhl_draft

and it clearly states that the last 3 years of playoffs and first overalls influence the balls assigned. So currently its 3 balls for us. However this all becomes void once they decide on the modus they will do the lottery in this year. No real reason why it has to be the same as in 2005. We will just have to wait

Last edited by luki here: 11-08-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old
11-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
with mackinnon now moved to right wing i could just imagine what him and tavares could do together a few years down the road
I may be wrong but didn`t Drouin(SP) play wing to Mckinnon`s center last night?
Either way both of the kids named above are insanely talented.
Barring injury there is no doubt in my mind that Mckinnon will be a superstar in the NHL.

Old
11-08-2012, 01:28 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
I may be wrong but didn`t Drouin(SP) play wing to Mckinnon`s center last night?
Either way both of the kids named above are insanely talented.
Barring injury there is no doubt in my mind that Mckinnon will be a superstar in the NHL.
They might have both played wing on Huberdeau's line. Either way, all 3 were amazing last night, I can see the Mackinnon/Crosby comparisons, Mackinnon is freakishly strong for his size, has great speed and great hands, and a desire to be great. All that being said, Drouin looks just as good last night. You can watch Mackinnon and Drouin again Friday night in a QMJHL game.

Closed Thread