HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top-25 Q Prospects for the 2014 NHL Draft

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2012, 11:17 AM
  #1
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,756
vCash: 500
Top-25 Q Prospects for the 2014 NHL Draft

Let's take a look at the top prospects currently playing in the QMJHL for the 2014 NHL Draft.

If you have any question let me know.

#1 Olivier Leblanc, D (Saint John)
#2 Ivan Barbashev, F (Moncton)
#3 Patrik Koys, F (Shawinigan)
#4 Storm Phaneuf, G (Blainville-Boisbriand)
#5 Duncan MacIntyre, D (Québec)
#6 Alexis Vanier, D (Baie-Comeau)
#7 Alexis Pépin, F (PEI)
#8 Jack Flinn, G (Sherbrooke)
#9 Cody Donaghey, D (Rouyn-Noranda)
#10 Julien Bahl, D (Blainville-Boisbriand)
#11 Mason McDonald, G (Acadie-Bathurst)
#12 Alex Bureau, G (Cape Breton)
#13 Carl Neill, D (Sherbrooke)
#14 Clark Bishop, F (Cape Breton)
#15 Nicolas Aubé-Kubel, F (Val d'Or)
#16 Ryan Falkenham, F (Halifax)
#17 Raphaël Maheux, D (Shawinigan)
#18 Daniel Audette, F (Sherbrooke)
#19 Francis Perron, F (Rouyn-Noranda)
#20 Mathieu Ayotte, F (Victoriaville)
#21 Joey Ratelle, F (Drummondville)
#22 Bokondji Imama, F (Baie-Comeau)
#23 Jonathan Deschamps, D (Sherbrooke)
#24 Anthony Gingras, D (Québec)
#25 Julio Billia, G (Chicoutimi)


Last edited by #57: 11-07-2012 at 04:14 PM.
#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:59 AM
  #2
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,174
vCash: 500
Interesting, has Leblanc been dominant ?

How has Ratelle looked ? He was strong in AAA last year ?


Why is Phaneuf so high ? Is he really the best goalie so far in his class ?

Will he be the starter next year ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:03 PM
  #3
Tarasenko
UNREGISTERED USER
 
Tarasenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: uriname
Posts: 1,071
vCash: 500
I never heard about this Leblanc, haven't seen SaintJohn this year so far. Any interesting stuff I need to know about him?

Tarasenko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:19 PM
  #4
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigorenko View Post
I never heard about this Leblanc, haven't seen SaintJohn this year so far. Any interesting stuff I need to know about him?
1st pick, 8th overall, 2013 Q draft.

Should be their leader on the backend for awhile.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:43 PM
  #5
Tarasenko
UNREGISTERED USER
 
Tarasenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: uriname
Posts: 1,071
vCash: 500
More potential than Audette or Pepin in your opinion? I really need to watch a Sea Dogs game soon.

Tarasenko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:00 PM
  #6
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Interesting, has Leblanc been dominant ?

How has Ratelle looked ? He was strong in AAA last year ?


Why is Phaneuf so high ? Is he really the best goalie so far in his class ?

Will he be the starter next year ?
Leblanc has been great from what I have seen and heard. He already plays like a veteran. He has great mobility and very high hockey sense. I would compare him to Oliver Ekman-Larsson but it is still very early in his career.

I think Phaneuf has very high potential. He made midget AAA at 14 years old, remember. He is big, has great technique and competes hard in his crease. He plays the puck very agressively as well. Yes, he will be the starter next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigorenko View Post
I never heard about this Leblanc, haven't seen SaintJohn this year so far. Any interesting stuff I need to know about him?
Extremely poised for a 16-years old rookie. Has great offensive potential and already plays very well defensively. Great mobility and hockey sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grigorenko View Post
More potential than Audette or Pepin in your opinion? I really need to watch a Sea Dogs game soon.
Definitely Pépin, that's why I ranked him above Audette...

Pepin has power-forward type potential, I could see him have an Adam Erne-type season next year (though that could be unreasonable expectations). Audette is just so fricking small and he isn't even producing right now. He has a lot of skills, great hands and is very fast, but so small.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:46 PM
  #7
Revo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
Interesting to make a list now, it's not an easy draft to foresee in my opinion, your list (and anyone's) is probably going to look alien a year from now
Also likely to pale in comparison with 2013, although I would think it's going to be a bit better for defencemen.

Really liked Leblanc the limited time I saw him, could certainly see him go kind of early, but I wasn't expecting to see him placed at #1.

MacIntyre is one to keep an eye on, he has been very impressive some games where he did everything well, but has had terrible games as well, which is not abnormal for a 16 years old, but it makes his draft status that much harder to predict.

I really liked Ayotte when I saw him, could definitely see him rise alot if he adds weight.

I also really like Gingras' style and his perceived potential, I think he'll be better than #25 on first year draftable players. I could be biased though.

Revo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:31 PM
  #8
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,810
vCash: 500
Interesting list. I can't really argue it because it's going to change so much and some of these guys aren't getting ice time yet!

Kills me every time I see Acadie-Bathurst Mason McDonald is on the bench! I liked watching him in midget

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 02:35 PM
  #9
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Pepin looks like the real deal. I think he'll be one of the top 5 specs from the Q next season.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:21 PM
  #10
insider
@MarkF_FC
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,799
vCash: 500
Carrier's a 2015.

insider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:38 PM
  #11
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 500
It's too early for me to strongly agree or disagree with anything yet, but I will say that I like Leblanc near the top and Pépin is too low.
I watch the Maritimes more than either of the other two divisions and both of these guys have been fantastic.

Leblanc is so smart and smooth already at 16 and should be a great cornerstone for the new Sea Dogs going forward, along with Cooper, Highmore, Smallman, and whatever they get for Huberdeau (if they get the opportunity to deal him, that is).
Pépin had a bit of a slow start but has come on as of late and shows flashes of great potential.
He was said to have the most pro potential going into the Q draft and you can see why with his size and playing style.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:13 PM
  #12
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo View Post
Interesting to make a list now, it's not an easy draft to foresee in my opinion, your list (and anyone's) is probably going to look alien a year from now
Also likely to pale in comparison with 2013, although I would think it's going to be a bit better for defencemen.

Really liked Leblanc the limited time I saw him, could certainly see him go kind of early, but I wasn't expecting to see him placed at #1.

MacIntyre is one to keep an eye on, he has been very impressive some games where he did everything well, but has had terrible games as well, which is not abnormal for a 16 years old, but it makes his draft status that much harder to predict.

I really liked Ayotte when I saw him, could definitely see him rise alot if he adds weight.

I also really like Gingras' style and his perceived potential, I think he'll be better than #25 on first year draftable players. I could be biased though.
Yeah it will be a solid year for defensemen. I liked Gingras when I saw him, but don't think he has done enough right now to warrant a higher status. He still has a long way to go to be considered a top pro prospect.

As for Ayotte, I really like him too. He is similar to Audette. Small and soft, but very good skating and amazing hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Pepin looks like the real deal. I think he'll be one of the top 5 specs from the Q next season.
He's definitely someone to keep an eye on. Could have been higher on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider View Post
Carrier's a 2015.
You're right, my bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
It's too early for me to strongly agree or disagree with anything yet, but I will say that I like Leblanc near the top and Pépin is too low.
I watch the Maritimes more than either of the other two divisions and both of these guys have been fantastic.

Leblanc is so smart and smooth already at 16 and should be a great cornerstone for the new Sea Dogs going forward, along with Cooper, Highmore, Smallman, and whatever they get for Huberdeau (if they get the opportunity to deal him, that is).
Pépin had a bit of a slow start but has come on as of late and shows flashes of great potential.
He was said to have the most pro potential going into the Q draft and you can see why with his size and playing style.
I guess Pépin could have been higher, definitely top-10. Playing in PEI, I havn't had a lot of opportunities to watch him yet.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:14 PM
  #13
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,756
vCash: 500
I removed Carrier, pushed up Pépin and included Julio Billia at #25

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:22 PM
  #14
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket
 
Stanley Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Quebec City
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,616
vCash: 58
How about Nicolas Hébert in Rimouski?

Stanley Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:27 PM
  #15
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,454
vCash: 500
There's Leblanc at 0:27 min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOe5d...feature=fvwrel

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:49 PM
  #16
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,713
vCash: 500
Not a strong year offensively for the Q but some interesting D prospects. It's going to be quite a downfall after the 2013 draft!

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:52 PM
  #17
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
So a 16 years old rookie gets burned by MacKinnon... big deal. Way to judge an excellent prospect with a youtube highlight video

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:57 PM
  #18
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
So a 16 years old rookie gets burned by MacKinnon... big deal. Way to judge an excellent prospect with a youtube highlight video
Lol..im kidding. I know he's a good prospect. It's just unfortunate that he was the one who was caught by mackinnon.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 05:55 PM
  #19
pcamp
Registered User
 
pcamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
Saw Audette play last Friday against Gatineau, I was really disappointed. He wouldn't go in the corners to fight for the puck , didn't backcheck, he was playing really lazy. When my friend ask me to describe how he played I said: It felt like a figure skating number in the middle of a hockey game

pcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 08:01 PM
  #20
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Leblanc has been great from what I have seen and heard. He already plays like a veteran. He has great mobility and very high hockey sense. I would compare him to Oliver Ekman-Larsson but it is still very early in his career.

I think Phaneuf has very high potential. He made midget AAA at 14 years old, remember. He is big, has great technique and competes hard in his crease. He plays the puck very agressively as well. Yes, he will be the starter next year.



Extremely poised for a 16-years old rookie. Has great offensive potential and already plays very well defensively. Great mobility and hockey sense.



Definitely Pépin, that's why I ranked him above Audette...

Pepin has power-forward type potential, I could see him have an Adam Erne-type season next year (though that could be unreasonable expectations). Audette is just so fricking small and he isn't even producing right now. He has a lot of skills, great hands and is very fast, but so small.
Where did Phaneuf play last year ?

Who's an NHL comparable for him ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:09 AM
  #21
ccgg
Registered User
 
ccgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rimouski
Country: Martinique
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
For the year, I moved to Charlottetown with my girlfriend and we have the chance to watch a lot of Rockets games. Alexis Pépin is really impressing me. His skillset is great. At the beggining of the season, he was sometimes lost, he took a lot of stupid penalties. But now, he is still physical but he is smart. He is getting better. I can't tell if he is mainly a playmaker or a goalscorer. When he enters in the offensive zone, he often passes the puck. It may be because he plays on the wing of Ben Duffy and Josh Currie (who is a great leader and a model for every hockey player), two good players and overagers. At the same time, he has a very good wrist-shot. He has great hands, good stickhandler.

He is big and tall, but he is a great skater, and quick. He uses his speed to play physical. He loves to hit, and he hits very hard. He is a good pest too. He has a solid work ethic and will protect his teammates. I never saw him drops the gloves, so I can't say if he is a good fighter.

But he isn't perfect. He needs three things. 1- Times, to gain maturity. 2- He needs to get better defensively, he must to work really hard on it. 3- He has a good frame, but he needs to get bigger. With his physical playing style, he fall often on the ice, but he isn't as bad as Benoit Pouliot, haha. I don't have a good comparison in my mind. But hey, it isn't a necessity.

I know it's off-topic, but since I rarely write on hfboards, I will talk a bit about a teammate of Pépin. Ryan Graves (2013 draft) is a big defensive defenseman. He is a very good fighter and a solid leader. He works very hard, is a good penalty killer. He reminds me Hal Gill. Big but not really physical. Good defensively but doesn't have a good first pass. And he is very, but very slow. I don't really like him but I think he can make it one day as a defensive-defenceman-penalty-killing-specialist-ala-Hal-Gill, maybe not. He is getting better every game. A good late round pick.

ccgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:19 AM
  #22
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
For the year, I moved to Charlottetown with my girlfriend and we have the chance to watch a lot of Rockets games. Alexis Pépin is really impressing me. His skillset is great. At the beggining of the season, he was sometimes lost, he took a lot of stupid penalties. But now, he is still physical but he is smart. He is getting better. I can't tell if he is mainly a playmaker or a goalscorer. When he enters in the offensive zone, he often passes the puck. It may be because he plays on the wing of Ben Duffy and Josh Currie (who is a great leader and a model for every hockey player), two good players and overagers. At the same time, he has a very good wrist-shot. He has great hands, good stickhandler.

He is big and tall, but he is a great skater, and quick. He uses his speed to play physical. He loves to hit, and he hits very hard. He is a good pest too. He has a solid work ethic and will protect his teammates. I never saw him drops the gloves, so I can't say if he is a good fighter.

But he isn't perfect. He needs three things. 1- Times, to gain maturity. 2- He needs to get better defensively, he must to work really hard on it. 3- He has a good frame, but he needs to get bigger. With his physical playing style, he fall often on the ice, but he isn't as bad as Benoit Pouliot, haha. I don't have a good comparison in my mind. But hey, it isn't a necessity.

I know it's off-topic, but since I rarely write on hfboards, I will talk a bit about a teammate of Pépin. Ryan Graves (2013 draft) is a big defensive defenseman. He is a very good fighter and a solid leader. He works very hard, is a good penalty killer. He reminds me Hal Gill. Big but not really physical. Good defensively but doesn't have a good first pass. And he is very, but very slow. I don't really like him but I think he can make it one day as a defensive-defenceman-penalty-killing-specialist-ala-Hal-Gill, maybe not. He is getting better every game. A good late round pick.
Great post! Thanks for the info. Not many people can see the Rockets often.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:36 PM
  #23
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Quebec.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,174
vCash: 500
I thought they were called the Islanders ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:01 PM
  #24
Tarasenko
UNREGISTERED USER
 
Tarasenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: uriname
Posts: 1,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I thought they were called the Islanders ?
Islanders? Huh?

Tarasenko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:31 PM
  #25
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes
 
Daley Tarasenkshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 1075
Pepin and Barbashev are both the top prospects in this class IMO. Leblanc is good, but his size is not good, and he lacks strength to be a top D-man. Yea, he will score goals and offer PP help, but he lacks defensive ability.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.