HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Pavel Bure's Number To Be Retired (Post # 31)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-08-2012, 11:24 AM
  #76
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
This is long overdue and makes me happy. By far, my favorite Canuck player of all time. His skill and speed combination is unparalleled in the NHL. He's not just the best Canuck ever, he's one of the best players ever. Other than Malkin, I think he's the best Russian player to play in the NHL. He might have been one of the most exciting players to ever play and he did it all in the dead puck era. It's a shame his career was shortened by injuries. How scary would Bure be if he had played without the two line pass rule?

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:35 AM
  #77
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********
 
Tim Calhoun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Mexico
Posts: 7,933
vCash: 325
Great news that no one will be allowed to wear #96 again.

Tim Calhoun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:38 AM
  #78
Vajakki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country:
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
To be honest, I would prefer only having Linden and Smyl there. That being said, since Naslund is there too, it's a disgrace to not have Bure aswell. Bure deserves it so much more than Naslund did.

And for the record, Bure is my favorite player ever.


Last edited by Vajakki: 11-08-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:40 AM
  #79
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,227
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
him and linden's should be the only #'s retired
Agreed. Oh well. Happy for Pavel though.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:41 AM
  #80
LuckyDay
Registered User
 
LuckyDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Uncanny Valley
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
him and linden's should be the only #'s retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
Great news. Still a little odd that Naslund got up there before him, but the wrong will hopefully be righted.
The difference between Bure and and the men's number that are hanging there, and the original #11 that is not, is called character. These men were the heart and soul of the team. All these men did everything that was asked of them and more without complaint.

Also, Bure should not be in the HHOF - his mob connections are an embarrassment to our sport. His connection is something he promoted (in Russia) and never apologized for.

Still an exciting player when you could get him motivated to actually put his skates on.

If Bert will be forever tainted and never get up there because of one terrible incident why is Bure not afforded the same for something he continued to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
There is no debating this. Best player in franchise history.

However, after Daniel and Henrik, I don't want to see another jersey retired for at least 20 years.
I guess you missed the part of about the mob connections and walking away from team and spitting on the city - also walking away from his $10 million contract. Alexei Yashin wasn't alllowed to, why was he?

see:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
I don't agree with retiring Bure's number at all.

I agree that he was the most exciting, talented player to ever pull on a Canucks sweater.

He also demanded a trade virtually as soon as he arrived here, really only had 3 great seasons as a Canuck, and eventually walked out on a signed contract.

This is the player were going to bestow our greatest honour on?
this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
It's about time! The only Vancouver Canuck draft pick to ever enter the Hockey Hall of Fame.
I guess you forgot about Cam Neely. We should start another Barry Pederson thread to see if it competes.



Bure fans should make the above their avatar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavel_B...ia_connections

LuckyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:49 AM
  #81
Vajakki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country:
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Calhoun View Post
Great news that no one will be allowed to wear #96 again.
I'm pretty sure it's #10.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:28 PM
  #82
Patchy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
I remember when Naslund's jersey was retired and a lot of people said he didn't deserve it.

Someone in this thread mentioned that Bure is the only player who other fans agree on deserving to have his number retired.

That is just... uh, I don't know. With that statement skill is apparently the only factor that weights in on having your number retired. Naslund was captain for 8 years and did a lot for the community and won major awards and yet people criticized it when he get his number retired. What is it that Bure did for the franchise that makes him such a lock compared to Naslund?

Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:38 PM
  #83
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy View Post
What is it that Bure did for the franchise that makes him such a lock compared to Naslund?
Bure's accomplishments should've made him a lock for the HHOF. But as I said earlier, retiring a team jersey number should also include things you did for the community *off the ice*. I don't have a problem with Naslund's number being retired because of this. And it's hardly like Smyl's hockey stats (while technically being the best on a bad team; it was fairly medicore with respect to the rest of the league). Sure Naslund's last few years were fairly awful; but he was for several years one of the most lethal goal scorers in the entire league.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:53 PM
  #84
kanuck87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Bure's accomplishments should've made him a lock for the HHOF. But as I said earlier, retiring a team jersey number should also include things you did for the community *off the ice*. I don't have a problem with Naslund's number being retired because of this. And it's hardly like Smyl's hockey stats (while technically being the best on a bad team; it was fairly medicore with respect to the rest of the league). Sure Naslund's last few years were fairly awful; but he was for several years one of the most lethal goal scorers in the entire league.
I think Bure should also get credit for rejuvenating hockey in Vancouver during the 90's. Despite the fact that we were a good team for only a few seasons, Bure still gave Canucks fans and other teams fans (look at the thread on the main boards for example) a reason to watch Canucks games. He helped put the Canucks on the map.

edit: I should say he's not the sole reason for rejuvenating the city's love for hockey, but he's one of the main reasons for it

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:56 PM
  #85
Hockeysemin
Registered User
 
Hockeysemin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Congrats to Pavel one of the most exiting player i ever seen


Hockeysemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:05 PM
  #86
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
I think Bure should also get credit for rejuvenating hockey in Vancouver during the 90's. Despite the fact that we were a good team for only a few seasons, Bure still gave Canucks fans and other teams fans (look at the thread on the main boards for example) a reason to watch Canucks games. He helped put the Canucks on the map.

edit: I should say he's not the sole reason for rejuvenating the city's love for hockey, but he's one of the main reasons for it
I never said Bure shouldn't have his number retired; I just stated that Naslund (who wasn't exactly a slouch in the numbers department either during his peak years) isn't getting enough credit here either.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:12 PM
  #87
skg
Registered User
 
skg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,150
vCash: 500
Long overdue in my opinion. They'll always be the wet blankets out there, but for me Pavel Bure will always be the best player to play for this organization and as such, deserves to have his number retired.

I'll have clear memories of the hype surrounding this kid when he was drafted, "the best player not in the NHL" , "the saviour of the franchise". I remember Brian Burke's radio show with Dan Russel, and usually young fans asking him week after week, "When's Pavel coming over?". I remember the excitement in the city when we heard Pavel had left Russia and was living in the home of his agent in LA. Then we all saw him for the first time on CkVU Sports Page, in a practice rink holding up a Canucks jersey saying in broken English, "I hope to be in this uniform very soon". Hockey fans went euphoric. Keep in mind, there was no internet or Youtube at this time so this was the first time many of us put a face to the name. I remember my Dad taking me to his first practice in East Van, and waiting outside for him to sign my Upper Deck Pavel Bure card. I was lucky enough to get tickets to his first game against Winnipeg and I will forever remember the entire crowd rising up and gasping as he sliced through the entire Jets team with that blazing speed.

I think people fail to realize what a turning point Pavel Bure's arrival was to the franchise. There was always a feeling that the Canucks were outsiders to the rest of the league before then but his presence legitimized the Canucks and made them a must watch hockey team. Goalies and defenses were terrified of him and he made many HOF defencemen look like pylons.

Congratulations to #10, it was pure joy to have watched you play.

skg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:14 PM
  #88
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchy View Post
What is it that Bure did for the franchise that makes him such a lock compared to Naslund?
He is easily the best player that ever donned our team's jersey. How he was treated by the team and how he in turn ended up holding out and demanding a trade is more a product of the Canuck's management than a reflection on him. Not every athlete is gifted with the social skills and Pavel barely spoke English when he came here. Everything about him was focus and determination to be the best hockey player. As he was a private person, he never did many interviews, he was pretty tight lipped about his treatment here and his reasons for wanting to leave, and he tried to take the high road of silence on the way out. The only side of the story published at that time was what the Canucks brass leaked to the press. Fans were devastated at the time and he was crucified by public opinion. Even as the actual facts on what happened came to light years later, it is nearly impossible to sway how people feel about Bure. It's too entrenched. In a sworn affidavit, Quinn was forced to admit that Bure never attempted to hold the Canucks hostage during the 94 cup run for a better contract. People still believe he did. Speaking of that cup run, Bure was Conn Smythe worthy. That's certainly not something you would ever associate Captain Choke with.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:29 PM
  #89
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,907
vCash: 250
Congrats to Bure!

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:38 PM
  #90
M A K A V E L I*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: van Coevorden
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
In a sworn affidavit, Quinn was forced to admit that Bure never attempted to hold the Canucks hostage during the 94 cup run for a better contract. People still believe he did. Speaking of that cup run, Bure was Conn Smythe worthy. That's certainly not something you would ever associate Captain Choke with.
He also said it on CBC.

Ronald: "How do you know it happened?"
Cherry: "It happened. Everybody. It's all over everything happened."


M A K A V E L I* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:40 PM
  #91
Haka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
I can see the argument for Bure's stats not warranting a jersey retirement, even if I disagree with that.

What I cannot see is those using his trade request as a reason against his jersey retirement - it's as if these people are completely ignorant as to how awful the Canucks were run back then and how absolutely terribly they treated Bure since the first day he arrived here. I don't blame Bure at all.

The Canucks have been such an inept franchise for so much of their history, it's not surprising that this is their first HoF inductee. If the internet existed back then, I can't even imagine the vitriol we would have thrown against our own franchise.

I wasn't all that supportive of Naslund's jersey retirement because I don't think he had nearly as much of a statistical or cultural affect on the franchise like Bure did.

Haka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:02 PM
  #92
Patchy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
He is easily the best player that ever donned our team's jersey. How he was treated by the team and how he in turn ended up holding out and demanding a trade is more a product of the Canuck's management than a reflection on him. Not every athlete is gifted with the social skills and Pavel barely spoke English when he came here. Everything about him was focus and determination to be the best hockey player. As he was a private person, he never did many interviews, he was pretty tight lipped about his treatment here and his reasons for wanting to leave, and he tried to take the high road of silence on the way out. The only side of the story published at that time was what the Canucks brass leaked to the press. Fans were devastated at the time and he was crucified by public opinion. Even as the actual facts on what happened came to light years later, it is nearly impossible to sway how people feel about Bure. It's too entrenched. In a sworn affidavit, Quinn was forced to admit that Bure never attempted to hold the Canucks hostage during the 94 cup run for a better contract. People still believe he did. Speaking of that cup run, Bure was Conn Smythe worthy. That's certainly not something you would ever associate Captain Choke with.
Why would a fan of his team speak like this about one of the franchise's biggest player? Talk about being ungrateful. You act like if the Canucks have won 24 Stanley Cups and have several Hall of Famers.

It's funny how people speak of Bure and Linden and the '94 team like they won the Stanley Cup. Oh yes, they fought more and lost with more dignity. And yet they didn't win it in the end. Yet it means nothing in the end.

Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:38 PM
  #93
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
He is easily the best player that ever donned our team's jersey. How he was treated by the team and how he in turn ended up holding out and demanding a trade is more a product of the Canuck's management than a reflection on him. Not every athlete is gifted with the social skills and Pavel barely spoke English when he came here. Everything about him was focus and determination to be the best hockey player. As he was a private person, he never did many interviews, he was pretty tight lipped about his treatment here and his reasons for wanting to leave, and he tried to take the high road of silence on the way out. The only side of the story published at that time was what the Canucks brass leaked to the press. Fans were devastated at the time and he was crucified by public opinion. Even as the actual facts on what happened came to light years later, it is nearly impossible to sway how people feel about Bure. It's too entrenched. In a sworn affidavit, Quinn was forced to admit that Bure never attempted to hold the Canucks hostage during the 94 cup run for a better contract. People still believe he did. Speaking of that cup run, Bure was Conn Smythe worthy. That's certainly not something you would ever associate Captain Choke with.
Agreed 100%. I've never had a problem with Pavel's decisions or his character, personally-- in fact I admired that he stood up to our god-awful management team at the time. Off-ice contributions are nice, but I flat out admire Bure's determination more than Naslund's. On top of that, contrary to anti-Russian, pro-Swedish bias, he was always a significantly more well-rounded player than Naslund while also being a significantly bigger game-breaker.

Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:50 PM
  #94
kanuck87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haka View Post
I wasn't all that supportive of Naslund's jersey retirement because I don't think he had nearly as much of a statistical or cultural affect on the franchise like Bure did.
Bure also didn't have the luxury of playing with someone (except for Mogilny for a short time) like Bertuzzi (in his prime), not to take away any credit from Naslund.

Bure was virtually a one-man wrecking crew in every sense of the word, and any highlight clip of him will show you that.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:52 PM
  #95
Alan Jackson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,393
vCash: 500
We might need to hold off on the retirement ceremony.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/1...nour-no-way-2/

Quote:
Aquilini has not commented on the report, which quotes only ex-Canuck Gino Odjick, so no one from the organization is speaking on the record about it. But itís clear people in the Canucks have no knowledge of this plan because, almost certainly, it does not exist.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:54 PM
  #96
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Bure also didn't have the luxury of playing with someone (except for Mogilny for a short time) like Bertuzzi (in his prime), not to take away any credit from Naslund.
Bure had McLean.

Naslund had Cloutier.

You aren't going *anywhere* in the post-season with a goalie like Cloutier (liked his fighting ability/spirit but he really was average at best). McLean was one of the (not the only) reasons the Canucks got as far as they did in that year (if McLean didn't make that fantastic save - there wouldn't have been that fantastic Bure series winning goal against the Flames).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:34 PM
  #97
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User
 
WinterEmpire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
We might need to hold off on the retirement ceremony.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/1...nour-no-way-2/
Great, can we stop listening to Botchford like he's a reputable source or something.

I wonder how Gaborik is enjoying is Vancouver home.

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:54 PM
  #98
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
We might need to hold off on the retirement ceremony.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/1...nour-no-way-2/
Wouldn't be the first time Botchford has completely - er, botched - something.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 04:14 PM
  #99
Jay Cee
P4G
 
Jay Cee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,788
vCash: 500
Blah blah. Embarrassment. Disgrace. People throw these words around too often on Internet message boards. Gets boring.

Pavel Bure was my favourite hockey player in his day and no one was a bigger fan. He also brought the franchise around like some had said.

That being said, I think there is more to having a number retired than being a big point producer or an exciting player. I don't think Bure was an ambassador to the franchise in the community and he demanded a trade. For these reasons I don't think he deserves the honor of having his number retired.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 04:22 PM
  #100
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Delta, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Awesome, congrats to Bure.

He's the only Canuck that should have his jersey retired IMO.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.