HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Vancouver-Montreal-Chicago

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
no homer?
tea pot meet kettle much?

Old
11-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I feel like I've presented a reasonable argument. The fact is, the smartest hockey people in Canada chose Luongo ahead of Price during the last Olympics, that's the only time a team had to pick between the two, in a meaningful situation (and it is backed up by their statistics). Schneider seems to be preferred over Luongo right now in Vancouver despite them being on the same team and Schneider is being picked ahead of Luongo (and this is backed up by statistics).

You're response is: "See look at these idiots. Who would pick Luongo and/or Schneider over Price. They can't be serious nobody would ever do that."...except its already happened.
Your logic is flawed.

Schneider being favored over Luongo is wholly irrelevant to whether he would jump ahead of Price. That was two years ago and Schneider was not an option for the Olympics nor is he an option for Vancouver now. While I agree Luongo will likely start over Price in Vancouver. I flat out guarantee Price starts before Schneider for the simple fact, Price is a better goalie right now.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:15 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Coming from a Hawks fan, I get to pick one, I'm taking Schneider. Price is really good but Schneider is little bit better.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Coming from a Hawks fan, I get to pick one, I'm taking Schneider. Price is really good but Schneider is little bit better.
Really? Price is far more proven and I think he's the better goalie even if we do assume Schneider is precisely as good as his small sample size in the NHL suggests.

Preference, I guess.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:24 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Well, GMs vote for the Veizna and media votes for the Hart...guess whose opinion I value more.

In regards to Schneider not having any votes, I guess he has as many as Price would if he was Luongo's backup.
I dunno, there are a lot of stupid GMs out there.

Good thing Price will never be a backup again. (Except maybe on the national stage)

Quote:
Really? HFBoard takes the younger guy?!? I'm shocked.

I think I'll value the opinion of the guys who actually put teams together for a living and they have shown that Luongo would go ahead of Price and at least for now, Schneider will get a chance to start ahead of Luongo.
They showed they'd take Luongo over Price TWO YEARS AGO and Schneider over Luongo THIS UPCOMING YEAR. Why do you keep pretending these two time periods are the same?

Quote:
Did you take into account that Luongo's team is better because he is better?

The team is structured to play all-out offense. It's the only way they can score. When Luongo arrived the team played all-out defense and barely scored winning games 2-1. Now they play all-out offense and people think the team is suddenly so much better because they score more goals.

Also, Luongo's best season statistically actually came in Florida on an absolutely terrible team that almost made the playoffs because they had Luongo.
Yes, the only difference between Vancouver and Montreal is the goaltending

Scoring does help teams win games. That's exactly Montreal's problem, we're top half of the league at GA and have the 2nd best PK, we just can't score.

What? His best season statistically was 2010-2011, when he was on a stacked President's trophy winning team.

Quote:
You're guarantee means jack ****. If Montreal had a decent backup, Price wouldn't even be playing 70+ games. It's not ideal to play a goalie that many games. Since the lockout only one Cup winner has had a goalie who played more than 60 games. Also, Schneider wouldn't need to come close to his stats to be better than Price, the gap in terms of save% between Schneider and Price last year is bigger than the gap between Price and Steve Mason. That's the reason Schneider has earned the chance to prove if he can do it as a starter...NOTE: This isn't a statement that Schneider is better than Price which is not something I've ever stated.
Not ideal, but why not do it when you have a great goalie? Brodeur did it 10 years in a row. Actually 2, Pittsburgh in 09 and LA in '12, Thomas and Giguere played 58 and 59 repectively, Khabibulin played 55. The only reason his stats were so good is he hardly played any games.

Quote:
I don't care whose on the rise, I want my team to win this year or next year, otherwise its time to rebuild.

Luongo's playoff choke job is better than anything Price has ever done in the playoffs....has Price ever actually had a good playoffs?
How does Schneider give you a better chance to win now than Price?
Last year against Boston, he was unreal.

Quote:
I think Price is good. No argument from me here. I don't care how many all-star appearances Price has though, call me when he gets nominated as a 1st of 2nd team all-NHL.
As soon as he gets a better team around him he will.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the guys that made the decision don't regret it for a minute. They make millions of dollars thinking the way they do about hockey and being successful and winning gold in 2010 probably won't change that. It was all over the roster, not just in goal.
Obviously they don't, but look at what happened in 2006 for instance. A veteran goalie didn't stop us from finishing 7th. The guys who make these teams can be wrong sometimes, they're not perfect.

Quote:
What I've said is that Schneider has earned the right to start in Vancouver over Luongo. He may falter and Luongo might win back the starters job but even if Price was parachuted into Vancouver, Schneider would still be the starter going into the season to prove whether or not he could play at that level as a starter.

That's all I've said. I didn't say Price sucks. I didn't say Luongo sucks. I didn't even say that Schneider is better than Luongo or Price.

I have said that Luongo is better than Price though. If Price is better than Luongo, he should probably prove it by actually stopping a higher percentage of shots than Luongo does...until he starts doing that, he's worse at tending the goal.
I highly doubt that. A proven, young, stud goaltender who was born and raised in B.C. gets traded to Vancouver and they start Schneider over him? Not gonna happen.

But saying Schneider would start implies he's better, because why wouldn't you start your best goalie? That's what I don't get.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:37 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
The Olympics should settle this debate because there is a good chance they go head to head.

Old
11-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
The Olympics should settle this debate because there is a good chance they go head to head.
I'd be onboard for this. The US Olympic team was nuts last year, and there is no reason to think they won't improve, should be even in terms of the teams in front.

Can we just time skip a year, skip this lock out, all this goalie hype surrounding Vancouver, and get primed for Olympic hockey too?

Old
11-08-2012, 03:18 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

It doesn't look like this thread is really discussing the original trade anymore but just going over opinions about the relative quality of some of the goalies. While that is related, it seems to have become the sole focus for quite a while now, so I think we can close this thread and move on. A separate thread about Luongo vs. Schneider vs. Price could be made elsewhere.
/thread

Closed Thread