HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Thread (V): Argos embarass Eskimos; Changes need to be made. Nichols seriously hurt.

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2012, 02:31 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I'm 62% sure you're joking, but Tillman wanted Nichols to start the last while and advised Kavis to start him.

This is Kavis's decision, just as playing Joseph these last few weeks has been.
Right, so we fire Tillman and keep Reed.

Oh well, as long as he lives in Edmonton right?

Old
11-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
This is ridiculous. I've been a supporter of Reed because I think he is a great leader and embodies the Eskimos tradition...but sometimes the decisions he makes are really questionable. This one is especially puzzling.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:36 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Is that a fact or an assumption you are making?
Assumption based on previous facts. I'm shocked you guys never heard of this type of thing before.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:37 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
This is ridiculous. I've been a supporter of Reed because I think he is a great leader and embodies the Eskimos tradition...but sometimes the decisions he makes are really questionable. This one is especially puzzling.
Come on Reed has a lot of duties to do, picking who to play and when to play them isn't that important.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:37 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Assumption based on previous facts. I'm shocked you guys never heard of this type of thing before.
Even if we take your assumption as fact, how hard do you think it was for Tillman to get permission to sign with another team?

Old
11-08-2012, 02:39 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Even if we take your assumption as fact, how hard do you think it was for Tillman to get permission to sign with another team?
Back then not hard, because it was a totally different situation. Now, well if you are the Esks why would you let him go to Toronto, especially if you think he has screwed you over?

Old
11-08-2012, 02:42 PM
AJGass4

Well I guessed right and I don't mind it.

However, he should have a very freaking short leash. I don't think I'll ever understand the point of leaving a QB in when he is struggling.

Mass got us to a Grey Cup by coming in and fixing the mess Ray had left on the field. If DM had enough braiins to pull God himself, surely this won't be a 3 quarter gong show.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:43 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Back then not hard, because it was a totally different situation. Now, well if you are the Esks why would you let him go to Toronto, especially if you think he has screwed you over?
Right, because only in Edmonton do we fire people and then prevent them from getting work elsewhere.

That makes sense.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I'm 62% sure you're joking, but Tillman wanted Nichols to start the last while and advised Kavis to start him.

This is Kavis's decision, just as playing Joseph these last few weeks has been.
And it's idiotic. If the Eskimos are down by 20 points at the half and ultimately lose the football game then Reed should join Tillman on the unemployment line.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
Well I guessed right and I don't mind it.

However, he should have a very freaking short leash. I don't think I'll ever understand the point of leaving a QB in when he is struggling.

Mass got us to a Grey Cup by coming in and fixing the mess Ray had left on the field. If DM had enough braiins to pull God himself, surely this won't be a 3 quarter gong show.
Reed has never had Joseph on a short leash and he won't this weekend. Even if we're down 20-25 points we won't see Nichols until the end of the 3rd quarter.

Old
11-08-2012, 03:04 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Reed has never had Joseph on a short leash and he won't this weekend. Even if we're down 20-25 points we won't see Nichols until the end of the 3rd quarter.
ridiculous decision to go with joseph, no doubt about that... i agree that he *will not* have a short leash at all... reed has shown he is very willing to let a QB stay in the game even when its apparent to everybody in the world that the QB is struggling... i expect a loss this weekend with joseph as the QB

Old
11-08-2012, 03:05 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Right, because only in Edmonton do we fire people and then prevent them from getting work elsewhere.

That makes sense.
We probably wouldn't prevent him, but after what he did and if his plan was to go to Toronto it would make a lot of sense to let him sit for a year.

Old
11-08-2012, 03:11 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Not sure how I feel. Stamps is going to be a non-factor as long as he is out there so lets pray our other recievers are going to be good.

If this is a clever ploy by kavis to trick toronto then well done.

Old
11-08-2012, 03:24 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Joseph hey? Looks like I'm keeping my seat on on the fire Reed bandwagon.

Old
11-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
I have a big problem with this. Joseph towards the end of the season has shown the inability to maintain his touch on a deep ball. Often throwing into double and triple coverage with accuracy issues. Toronto has 2 pretty good ball hawking secondaries. No matter if you give him a 1 quarter leash, considering we're facing Ray, turnovers leading to points could lead to putting this team into a hole early. Nichols in his 4.5 qtrs of football has showne greater chemistry with Stamps than the other jobber QBs. We limit our best weapon by playing Joseph imo.

Old
11-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I have a big problem with this. Joseph towards the end of the season has shown the inability to maintain his touch on a deep ball. Often throwing into double and triple coverage with accuracy issues. Toronto has 2 pretty good ball hawking secondaries. No matter if you give him a 1 quarter leash, considering we're facing Ray, turnovers leading to points could lead to putting this team into a hole early. Nichols in his 4.5 qtrs of football has showne greater chemistry with Stamps than the other jobber QBs. We limit our best weapon by playing Joseph imo.
Lately the D has been giving up a TD on the first drive so we'll likely be behind the 8ball quickly.

What pisses me off about this is not only Joseph vs Nichols but that if we get behind, which has happened often, we tend to give up on the run game.

We need not to be in a hole. If we get in a hole in this game it could get ugly and I don't know we're coming back. Give Ray success and a couple touchdown lead early and I don't like the looks of it.

We need to be in this game at halftime. Not requiring another big comeback which hasn't been working anyway.

Old
11-08-2012, 04:03 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I was thinking the same thing about Stamps. He has done mostly squat all year with Joseph and Jyles. Nichols with Stamps has been great. Starting Joseph is just the wrong choice for so many reasons.

My hope at this point is that Reed is saying Joseph this early so TO prepares for him, and then he actually starts Nichols. I am hoping the same thing with Charles and Boyd, unless Charles is absolutely 100%. Not playoff 100%.

Old
11-08-2012, 04:13 PM
AJGass4

Anyone who has watched us play all year cannot be surprised by this decision. I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to throw Nichols in there only because his nerves might get the best of him.

What has happened to Clipboard Jyles by the way? Seems odd we haven't heard anything about him lately.

I can't even make a bloody prediction for this game as it seems we are about as dysfunctional as they come going into it. 2-8 over the last 10. Simply put, a terrible record to go into anything.

That being said, if our D makes RR's life hell for a better part of the day, that'll give me reason to smile.

Old
11-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Kavis Reed is a fool. I expect Toronto to jump out to a 21 point lead and maybe with 10 minutes left in the game he'll have a revelation and put Nichols in.

Worst coach in the CFL and it's not even close. Joseph has shown nothing in his last two games.

Old
11-08-2012, 04:46 PM
#ualberta

This is ****ing bs I don't see how we can win unless the plan is to remove Joseph after the first quarter

Old
11-08-2012, 04:49 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
Kavis Reed is a fool. I expect Toronto to jump out to a 21 point lead and maybe with 10 minutes left in the game he'll have a revelation and put Nichols in.

Worst coach in the CFL and it's not even close. Joseph has shown nothing in his last two games.
If that happens and he keeps his job I will be blown away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
This is ****ing bs I don't see how we can win unless the plan is to remove Joseph after the first quarter
I really don't think Kavis is a dumb guy, I just think he sees something in his buddy joseph that nobody else sees. I wouldn't be surprised if Joseph has a 1 quarter leash. I'm just scared that if we're only down 10 points reed will keep him after half.

Old
11-08-2012, 05:14 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post

This^

Its embarrassing.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Kyle McMahon

I've been calling for Reed's head for half the season. I've softened somewhat since the Tillman firing after considering the possibility that he was pressuring Reed to play Joseph. But this confirms that is not the case at all, and I'm officially finished with Reed.

This is an awful decision. Joseph hasn't done **** all in a month, while Nichols has put up 50 points in 4 and a half quarters. "Short leash" be damned. If you have that little faith in your QB to begin with, why even start him at all? It won't be a short leash. Like others have mentioned, we'll be down 20-2 in the second half before Nichols sees the field.

I was pumped to run the Argos out of their own Grey Cup. That seems unlikely to happen now.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:03 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

I'd much rather watch the Eskimos lose with Nichols starting, than watch them lose with Joseph starting.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:37 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
I'd much rather watch the Eskimos lose with Nichols starting, than watch them lose with Joseph starting.
Amen brother. If we lose with Nichols I'll be like well i look forward to him starting next year.

If we lose with Joseph i'm going to be livid.

I feel its like that sentimental thing going on right now, Kavis feels that this might be Josephs last chance for a playoff game in the CFL.

Closed Thread