HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

So........Dec 1st

Old
11-07-2012, 08:22 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I hope they don't screw this up. Don't rush him and just let him totally heal.

when's the last time the Flyers brass did that?

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 08:46 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post

when's the last time the Flyers brass did that?
I should have added "this time"!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJB View Post
I like the idea of having Briere on the top line. He had chemistry with Hartnell before and now has chemistry with Giroux.
Yeah, they have chemistry, but in the DEL.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:15 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I know it might hamper the bottom two lines, but lines of:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek/Briere
Schenn-Couturier-Briere/Voracek
Read-Talbot/Feds-Simmonds
Wellwood-Talbot/Feds-Rinaldo

The top two lines are ****ing scary.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:17 AM
DLJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Yeah, they have chemistry, but in the DEL.
Honestly, they would be better off on a line together than G and Voracek. Voracek is more of a playmaker than a shooter.

DLJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:38 AM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Hartnell - G - Voracek (seems to be the consensus)
Briere - Couturier - Schenn
Read - Talbot - Simmonds
Rinaldo - Fedotenko - Wellwood

Coburn - Schenn
Grossmann - Meszaros*
Timonen - Gus

*Assuming mez is healthy

Empty Net
I must admit I like those offensive lines, the only thing I would switch would be on defense by switching Schenn and Timonen, but other than that, I really like these lines.

flyers28giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:14 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

I don't really like our blueline, even when everyone is relatively healthy. Timonen is a great player, but he's a shell of his former self and can't handle top pairing minutes on a regular basis especially when players (example: Kunitz) take runs at his knees and get away with it. I wouldnt consider him a #1 defenseman anymore. A shortened season may help, but I doubt it.

I'm not saying we have a bad blueline, I just don't think it's a championship blueline, especially with a goalie like Bryzgalov in net. Unless someone steps up this year (I'm looking at Coburn), which wouldnt surprise me.

Mind you, last year our blueline wasn't the reason we were weak defensively. Hopefully our forwards improve on that aspect.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

The thing is, when our blue-line was decimated late in the season, Lavy changed the game plan, and it was hugely successful.

When we had Carle as our main defenseman, with the likes of Bourdon, Manning and gus playing we were incredible defensively, and as a result Bryzgalov was incredible. Why we don't always play this way im not so sure

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
The thing is, when our blue-line was decimated late in the season, Lavy changed the game plan, and it was hugely successful.

When we had Carle as our main defenseman, with the likes of Bourdon, Manning and gus playing we were incredible defensively, and as a result Bryzgalov was incredible. Why we don't always play this way im not so sure
I don't know why this myth persists. March was easily our worst defensive month (If my memory is correct, we allowed more shots per game in March than any other month), which is what makes Bryz's performance so phenomenal. He spent a lot of time getting completely shelled and stole a lot of games. Lavy is pretty stubborn with his game plans; that we were so bad defensively that even he felt compelled to tone down the forecheck is telling.

December was our best defensive month. Couturier dropped his GAON/60 below 1.00 and Timonen hit a beastly stride until he got hurt in early January.

11-08-2012, 10:17 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

I would just feel much more comfortable if we got Weber or if Pronger was still healthy (obviously)

Old
11-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLJB View Post
Honestly, they would be better off on a line together than G and Voracek. Voracek is more of a playmaker than a shooter.
Yeah, I guess you're right about Voracek, so it might not be bad trying out what you suggested after all.

Old
11-08-2012, 01:40 PM
CootaRoo

I like the last few line-ups on paper, but does anyone think realistically that Cooter is on Lavi's 2nd line to start the season (assuming it starts in '13)?

I know we all love him and expect great things, but the fact remains that he only had 27 points last year. I think it would be borderline irresponsible to jettison him up the depth chart so quickly - not to mention he could potentially serve a much needed role as a shutdown 3rd line C.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Briere-Read
Talbot-Cooter-Simmonds
Rinaldo-Fedetenko-Zolner/Wellwood

Schenn-Timonen
Coburn-Grossman
Gus-Marshall/MAB

is my guess for what actually happens... for the first 2 games before the lines are all juggled to hell, that is.

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I don't know why this myth persists. March was easily our worst defensive month (If my memory is correct, we allowed more shots per game in March than any other month), which is what makes Bryz's performance so phenomenal. He spent a lot of time getting completely shelled and stole a lot of games. Lavy is pretty stubborn with his game plans; that we were so bad defensively that even he felt compelled to tone down the forecheck is telling.

December was our best defensive month. Couturier dropped his GAON/60 below 1.00 and Timonen hit a beastly stride until he got hurt in early January.
What myth? Shot count may have gone up, but that doesn't mean anything. The flyers were forcing teams to shoot from the point, and chasing teams around so that scoring chances were extremely low. Bryz was playing well enough to ensure that there wasn't any rebounds.

For all the shutouts that he had, I don't remember him exactly stealing a game. The defense was fantastic.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:34 PM
TheLegendkiller

Sestito might take Wellwood and Zolner's spot since he's tearing it up in England while Wellwood and Zolner haven't really been anything special this season.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
What myth? Shot count may have gone up, but that doesn't mean anything. The flyers were forcing teams to shoot from the point, and chasing teams around so that scoring chances were extremely low. Bryz was playing well enough to ensure that there wasn't any rebounds.

For all the shutouts that he had, I don't remember him exactly stealing a game. The defense was fantastic.
I remember him stealing several. At least 3. You can go peruse the old Bryz threads and GDTs if you don't believe me. The defense in March was horrific, Bryz bailed them out. He wasn't facing perimeter shots, he was getting tested hard a lot. I think you're thinking of December, when the D was actually playing well and Bryz was letting in perimeter shots.

It wasn't like Bryz had it easy and cruised behind a cushy D to improved stats, he actually earned them the hard way. He saw an alarming number of odd man rushes and breakaways when the D was caught out of position and stopped a good chunk of them, certainly more than he had been prior to March.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Damaged Goods

It's mind-boggling to see Wellwood passed over on many of these line combos, especially for the likes of Rinaldo and Sestito.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Briere - Schenn
Read - Couturier - Wellwood
Talbot - Fedotenko - Holmstrom
Rinaldo/Sestito

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:12 PM
orangecrush8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
It's mind-boggling to see Wellwood passed over on many of these line combos, especially for the likes of Rinaldo and Sestito.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Briere - Schenn
Read - Couturier - Wellwood
Talbot - Fedotenko - Holmstrom
Rinaldo/Sestito
Pretty much this. It shouldn't even be in question whether Wellwood gets playing time over Rinaldo, Sestito, Zolnierczyk etc

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
Pretty much this. It shouldn't even be in question whether Wellwood gets playing time over Rinaldo, Sestito, Zolnierczyk etc
I also fully agree with this. I think Wellwood has shown a lot in the playing time he was given last year, and his ceiling seems to be higher than that of the other three mentioned. I think with him a lot of people just worry it was a one-off thing, and that he can't repeat the same play. But anyway, from what I've seen last year, my preferred order of introducing people in the lineup would be Wellwood > Sestito > Rinaldo (but he has to cool it down a bit, play with an edge, but not like at the end of the season, when he clearly went over it) > Zolnierczyk.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:35 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Wellwood = Upshall-lite

skates real fast...and that's about all he does

don't understand the fascination with him

Old
11-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Wellwood = Upshall-lite

He is an elevator player who makes virtually nothing and his defensive metrics were superior to even Couturier's in many respects last year. He's young and ready to improve and he should be a lock to make the team.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:57 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
He is an elevator player who makes virtually nothing and his defensive metrics were superior to even Couturier's in many respects last year. He's young and ready to improve and he should be a lock to make the team.
He's hardly a lock.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Wellwood = Upshall-lite
And having someone like Upshall for an extremely low cap hit on the fourth or possibly sometimes third line is bad?

Quote:

In a limited number of games, I think he's also shown he can score. He's never going to be a premier scorer, but I don't think anyone here even suggested that. I also think he just has a likable style of play (yes, the speed), and since he's new on a team with lackluster prospects, people are prone to jump on him. But I don't see how people suggesting he should be in the lineup is "fascination". Oh, and given his minutes, there's also not a lot of players registering a point every third game.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:06 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

vCash: 50
Quote:
Wellwood = Upshall-lite

He is better than wasting a spot on Rinaldo, Shelley, or Sestito.

LetsGoFlyers1825 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 04:44 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
He is better than wasting a spot on Rinaldo, Shelley, or Sestito.
Unless the teams is getting bullied by the Devils/Bruins/..., which is when a player like Rinaldo or Sestito becomes invaluable.

Both Rinaldo and Sestito are not cast in the same mold as typical goons. They can actually skate and even chip in a goal now and then. Rinaldo can really mix it up with his hits and create space for his mates against teams that are playing tight defense.

Wellwood is a nice addition to the roster as well but he has Hobbit size but less offensive upside than Briere or Read which is why he will always be on the bubble.

Last edited by dats81: 11-09-2012 at 04:49 AM.
dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:13 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Unless the teams is getting bullied by the Devils/Bruins/..., which is when a player like Rinaldo or Sestito becomes invaluable.

Both Rinaldo and Sestito are not cast in the same mold as typical goons. They can actually skate and even chip in a goal now and then. Rinaldo can really mix it up with his hits and create space for his mates against teams that are playing tight defense.

Wellwood is a nice addition to the roster as well but he has Hobbit size but less offensive upside than Briere or Read which is why he will always be on the bubble.
Don't bother making sense on this board. It never goes over well