HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sens Training Camp, who makes it?

Old
11-08-2012, 01:20 PM
MoreGore

vCash: 500
Sens Training Camp, who makes it?

I thought that I had posted this yesterday, but not sure what happened... anyways

With the CBA looking like it is going to be signed very soon which means a very short training camp will be upon us in the very near future.

As most know the kids have been underwhelming so far except Lehner. (Who I think should stay in Bingo to play a ton of games).

Who gets a call to Ottawa to be part of the short camp? I see one forward and one defense spot open. IMO Benoit and Hoffman are the ones that deserve those spots. I would leave Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Stone, Boroweicki and Wiercioch in Bingo and call up as injuries happen.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:28 PM
tony d
The man

I still think Silfverberg and possibly Zibanejad make the team as rookies this year. Possibly Hoffman as well.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:29 PM
God Says No

not sure about benoit, as he would have to clear waivers if he makes the team and then the sens decided to send him back to ahl. so i think the management will likely leave him in ahl unless he blows everyone out of the water in training camp or we get hit by massive injuries on the blue line.

hoffman is most likely to make the team out of camp imho.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:14 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Is the new CBA actually about to be agreed upon? Haven't heard any report saying they're actually close to striking a deal. Talk is just talk.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:15 PM
benjiv1

My guess on the opening roster:

Silfverberg-Spezza-Michalek
Latendresse-Turris-Alfredsson
Greening-Regin-Condra
JOB-Smith-Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Gonchar
Phillips-Weircioch

Lundin
Daugavins

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Indy on the Road
Still near and dear

What a tease

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Minister of Offence

I think Mark Stone might give everyone something to think about come training camp.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:25 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post

Greening-Regin-Condra
JOB-Smith-Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Gonchar
Phillips-Weircioch

Lundin
Daugavins
That's pretty close to what I had in mind, except I think Borocop might have the edge on Weircioch for that third pairing.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:53 PM
FrankTousi

jinx thread

FrankTousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:55 PM
EpicNeilTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
That's pretty close to what I had in mind, except I think Borocop might have the edge on Weircioch for that third pairing.
I would agree however, I think we would give the spot to the player with more potential, not a player a who tops at a 3rd pairing D.

Weircioch needs a chance to show what he can do at the NHL stage where his game is more suited. For Borocop we already know what he's capable of and the time will come for him.

I also think Hoffman or Dizzy could challenge for a spot depending if there's a whole on the 3rd or 4th line. Zibanejad or Silf could use a full season in the A with Mark Stone. They'll get there turn. Plus it would give them more responsibility knowing they're the star players.

EpicNeilTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Tuna99

vCash: 50
Michalek - Spezza - Alfie
Tender - Turris - Silferberg
Greening - Regin - Condra
Smith - JOB - Neil
Daug

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gonchar
Phllips - Lundin

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:14 PM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
Michalek - Spezza - ???
Latendress - Turris - Alfredsson
Z.Smith - Regin - Neil
Greening - O'Brien - Condra
x - Daugavins

Call-up C: Da Costa, Grant
Call-up W: Zibanejad, Stone, Silfverberg, Hoffman, Petersson, Dziurzynski

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Gonchar
Phillips - Lundin
x-?

Call-up D: Wiercioch, Borowiecki, Gryba

Anderson
Bishop

Call-up G: Lehner

It's between Silfv, Zibby, and Stone for who gets that NHL spot to start the season. Could see any of them grab it. I wouldn't be surprised if we roll 6 D and just call-up one of Borocop or Wiercioch if someone goes down (I don't think either of them has priority over the other, I think who gets called up will be determined by which D is injured).

11-08-2012, 03:45 PM
BlazingRoy
It only grows

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post

Greening-Regin-Condra
JOB-Smith-Neil

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Gonchar
Phillips-Weircioch

Lundin
Daugavins
This goal-tending scares me

BlazingRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Goat Boy
Superboy is baaacck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingRoy View Post
I was going to say...

Daugavins should definitely be the starter. I'm not sold on Lundin. I'd bet all I have that he's an ECHL goalie at best.

Goat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingRoy View Post
lmao. Well played.

I think Weircioch is higher up than Boro right now.

He is doing well and Boro is struggling a little.

Not to mention he is playing Right which is the spot we may need if Lundin does not do well.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 04:18 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
I was going to say...

Daugavins should definitely be the starter. I'm not sold on Lundin. I'd bet all I have that he's an ECHL goalie at best.
He's fine as a backup, a definite upgrade from start of last year.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect both Silfverberg and Ziba to be up at many points during the year, especially considering the latter could be used on any line. Silfverberg is more a player you play with skill or not play at all at this point of his career.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 04:31 PM
derriko

vCash: 4116
Wasnt the main reason Methot was acquired was to be Karlssons' d partner? Cowen and Gonchar are both real familiar with each other, so I would assume they would stay together.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar
Phillips - Lundin (Weir or Boro)

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:14 PM
OgieO

I think Zibanejad and probably Silf are better served with the better part of the year in the AHL. Let them learn the North American style and rink size with minimal pressure then come up next year (or late this year). However, I think Silfverberg will make it, although Hoffman could steal that last spot.

Michalek - Spezza - Latendresse
Silfverberg-Turris-Alfredsson
Smith-Regin-Condra
Greening-JOB-Neil
Daugavins

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar
Phillips - Lundin
Boro

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I think Mark Stone might give everyone something to think about come training camp.
Yeah I see no reason as to why Silfverberg is so considered so much more likely to make it over Stone - unless we would rather have Greening in the top 6 than either of them. Silfverberg is going to be a great player, but he needs to make a better adjustment to American ice. I personally think that giving an adjustment period is crucial for Swedes and in a shortened season, we need to ice the best possible team. Let Silf hit his stride and then bring him up.

Now, of course there's a large possibility that Silfverberg does great in camp and earns a job - which I would be thrilled with - but as of now Stone looks to me like he might be able to help us a little bit more.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Yeah I see no reason as to why Silfverberg is so considered so much more likely to make it over Stone - unless we would rather have Greening in the top 6 than either of them. Silfverberg is going to be a great player, but he needs to make a better adjustment to American ice. I personally think that giving an adjustment period is crucial for Swedes and in a shortened season, we need to ice the best possible team. Let Silf hit his stride and then bring him up.

Now, of course there's a large possibility that Silfverberg does great in camp and earns a job - which I would be thrilled with - but as of now Stone looks to me like he might be able to help us a little bit more.
Silfverberg is proving himself in Bingo right now.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Silfverberg is proving himself in Bingo right now.
I'm not saying he has been bad and I have missed a few games due to the time difference but he hasn't looked ready for an NHL top 6 role - at least not compared to Stone imo. I don't want Silf sitting on the 3rd line with little PP time. My main point was if Silfverberg makes it, I think Stone should as well. I might be proven wrong in training camp of course but thats just my stance as of now.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:40 PM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post

Silfverberg's got a bit of an advantage going in, as proven by this spring's playoffs.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:45 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

From what I'm seeing so far in bingo. Silfverberg and Hoffman will be on the opening rosters.

Silfverberg's IQ and the way he controls the game is NHL ready. He is reliable on both ends of the ice and is an excellent complementary and go-to player.

Hoffman's is just boss and shouldn't be in the A any longer. He can be amazing on that 3rd line who does it all and help on that second line PP point position. A Matt Cullen type player.

I also think Wiercioch is ahead of Boro but I think they'll keep Wiercioch a bit longer to hone his skills some more.

Latendresse-Spezza-Michalek
Silfverberg-Turris-Alfredsson
Hoffman-Regin-Neil
Greening-Smith-O'Brien
Condra

Methot-Karlsson
Gonchar-Cowen
Phillips-Lundin
Boro

Anderson
Bishop

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:49 PM
benjiv1

IMO, Weircioch gets the first chance as the final pairing D, and here's why:

1. He put in an imense amount of work this summer with Turris
2. It balances our Defensive D (Methot, Phillips, Cowen) and our PMD (Karlsson, Gonchar, Weircioch)
3. He's the only piece we have left from the Havlat trade

I think Silfverberg will get the first chance on the wing, because of his shot.

The team will put Zibanejad on the slow burner and let him play his first full season, Hoffman is the first call up.

Bishop backs up Anderson, but if Anderson gets injured, Lehner will get the call to replace.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:21 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Greening - Spezza - Michalek
Latendresse - Turris - Alfredsson
Z. Smith - Regin - Condra
Daugavins - JOB - Neil

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar
Phillips - Lundin

Anderson - Bishop

All of the players above have one way contracts & I doubt Bryan Murray wants to pay any of them NHL salaries to sit on the bench or play in the AHL. I recently heard that Ottawa would carry a 23 man roster so this allows two prospects to make the team. My guess is that Boroweicki should be the guy on defence & a fight between Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Stone & Hoffman for that forward spot. Hoffman could have the edge with how well he has done in Bingo so far this yr & last season.

If Bishop doesn't play well he could be replaced by Lehner but my guess is that they will give Bishop a lot of opportunities to increase his value before trading him. Regin, JOB, Condra & Daugavins IMO could be all on thin ice & if Alfie doesn't return that will open up another roster spot. If Grant & Dzuizynski continue to have a good season with Bingo they could eventually force some changes next yr on the 3rd & 4th lines in Ottawa.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote