HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 5.0 - CLR Edition

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2012, 09:23 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 500
I think almost everyone would pick MacKinnon over Drouin. Thing is we have far more chances at picking Drouin than MacKinnon (likely 1st overall pick), hence why many people (me included) think he's a player we should target.

Last edited by hototogisu: 11-08-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: moved to correct thread
Old
11-08-2012, 09:39 AM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai Akatsume Ryu View Post
But Galchenyuk is left-handed! =) That's probably why he put it in caps lock (RIGHT-HANDED). As far as I'm concerned, I believe Galchenyuk has a higher offensive upside than MacKinnon, but I believe MacKinnon might be better as an overall player. I'm sold on Galchenyuk I think

Oh you are sadly mistaken if anything Mackinnon has way more offensive potential and Gally will be the better overall player. Stop being so biased and unrealistic.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:00 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhjhjhjh View Post
Oh you are sadly mistaken if anything Mackinnon has way more offensive potential and Gally will be the better overall player. Stop being so biased and unrealistic.
I agree with you that he is being unrealistic. But I dont think MacKinnon has that much more offensive potential than Galchenyuk. Gally has great hands, great vision, great passes and a hard shot. He makes his teamates better. MacKinnon needs to be surrounded by talented players to succeed. Gally makes others succeed.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:23 AM
HockeyFan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
I agree with you that he is being unrealistic. But I dont think MacKinnon has that much more offensive potential than Galchenyuk. Gally has great hands, great vision, great passes and a hard shot. He makes his teamates better. MacKinnon needs to be surrounded by talented players to succeed. Gally makes others succeed.
I don't necessarily agree with the bolded statement because I think with time, MacKinnon will get better and will succeed not only to produce on his own but also to make his teammates better, maybe not like Gally, but still.

I also think Galchenyuk may end up being the better overall player but MacKinnon will be the more productive offensive player.

My point is if, like me, the franchise thinks that in order to become a perennial Stanley Cup contender, they need another player at least of the caliber of Gally, they have to do everything in their power to get their hands on one of MacKinnon, Barkov or Monahan.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:49 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan87 View Post
I don't necessarily agree with the bolded statement because I think with time, MacKinnon will get better and will succeed not only to produce on his own but also to make his teammates better, maybe not like Gally, but still.

I also think Galchenyuk may end up being the better overall player but MacKinnon will be the more productive offensive player.

My point is if, like me, the franchise thinks that in order to become a perennial Stanley Cup contender, they need another player at least of the caliber of Gally, they have to do everything in their power to get their hands on one of MacKinnon, Barkov or Monahan.
I do agree that over time he will make his line mates better, but as of now, when he is with Drouin he does well and without he doesnt.

I think MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin and Shinkaruk should be the main targets in the draft. I they can draft Monahan or Lindholm then take them but I wouldnt trade to get one of them. Where would you put them?

Old
11-08-2012, 02:14 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

I too like galchenyuk over Mack. I don't know what it is, but I'm not at all sold on him. I don't see him as outright #1. To me he looks like a mini Ovechkin with canadian grit, which is amazing, but I liken Gally to Malkin. Malkin is sooo much better than Ovechkin, so in my slightly biased opinion, if they both hit their potential, Gally will be better. JMO

Old
11-08-2012, 03:09 PM
CN_paladin

So Nathan is no longer regarded as the next possible generational player a la Crosby?

Gally could become a 1st line C at best IMHO.

Old
11-08-2012, 03:50 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
So Nathan is no longer regarded as the next possible generational player a la Crosby?

What do you mean by 1st line center? As in, just our best center, or what you would call a legitimately good option for 1st line center on most teams?

Old
11-08-2012, 04:07 PM
jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Quote:

The Crosby and Mackinnon comparisons were just because of their home town and that they took the same path to get to the QMJHL. But let's leave it at that, very different players. A player similar to crosby who's getting drafted in 2015 is Connor Mcdavid. Very similar styles, going back to Gally his potential is 90 points per season while being solid in his own zone. I don't want us to draft another center this year we absolutely need a first line winger to go with him, a goal scorer like shinkaruk would be amazing. I think I would prefer him to Drouin.

Old
11-08-2012, 04:39 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
I too like galchenyuk over Mack. I don't know what it is, but I'm not at all sold on him. I don't see him as outright #1. To me he looks like a mini Ovechkin with canadian grit, which is amazing, but I liken Gally to Malkin. Malkin is sooo much better than Ovechkin, so in my slightly biased opinion, if they both hit their potential, Gally will be better. JMO
Yeah.....the problem with this is you compare Nathan with Ovechkin, which is a really sloppy comparison. I'm really glad that we have Gally on our team, but the way Mack is powering himself with speed and skills through opponents is really something else. His first 3 steps would already be elite in the NHL. He has the same power strides as Crosby. Add some vision to his game and you got a Crosby 2.0. Unless injuries, I am 100% sure Nathan will get 80+ pts really soon in the NHL. The only thing Nathan and Ovie have in common is that they use their power to go through opponents. Nathan will be much better at carrying the puck while Ovie will always be a better shooter.

Old
11-08-2012, 05:49 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
Yeah.....the problem with this is you compare Nathan with Ovechkin, which is a really sloppy comparison. I'm really glad that we have Gally on our team, but the way Mack is powering himself with speed and skills through opponents is really something else. His first 3 steps would already be elite in the NHL. He has the same power strides as Crosby. Add some vision to his game and you got a Crosby 2.0. Unless injuries, I am 100% sure Nathan will get 80+ pts really soon in the NHL. The only thing Nathan and Ovie have in common is that they use their power to go through opponents. Nathan will be much better at carrying the puck while Ovie will always be a better shooter.
Wow, I guess we made that leap, didn't we.

Old
11-08-2012, 05:58 PM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Wow, I guess we made that leap, didn't we.
you trolling or what? If you ever looked Nathan and Crosby skate you would see how similar their skating style is. Plus, I said add vision. It's not like I said add some garlic and your soup will taste great. Vision cannot be improved or at the very least, you won't improved it much because you either have it or not. It is a very important aspect of elite players and yes, if Nathan add Crosby's vision he would have the whole package to be the best one out there. He does not. Or not at the moment anyway. You just went full retard.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:16 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
you trolling or what? If you ever looked Nathan and Crosby skate you would see how similar their skating style is. Plus, I said add vision. It's not like I said add some garlic and your soup will taste great. Vision cannot be improved or at the very least, you won't improved it much because you either have it or not. It is a very important aspect of elite players and yes, if Nathan add Crosby's vision he would have the whole package to be the best one out there. He does not. Or not at the moment anyway.
What the **** are you talking about? So, in other words...no he is not, nor even remotely close to, nor even conceivably could be crosby 2.0? Yeah. That's exactly what I thought.

While we're at it, if Galchenyuk had Wayne Gretzky's hockey IQ, we're talking Gretzky 2.0 here, guys.

Quote:
You just went full retard.
You are the weakest link, GOODBYE!

It's about as fresh at this point, no?

Old
11-08-2012, 06:20 PM
domdo345

Quote:
What the **** are you talking about? So, in other words...no he is not, nor even remotely close to, nor even conceivably could be crosby 2.0? Yeah. That's exactly what I thought.

While we're at it, if Galchenyuk had Wayne Gretzky's hockey IQ, we're talking Gretzky 2.0 here, guys.

You are the weakest link, GOODBYE!

It's about as fresh at this point, no?
typo I meant had not add. what point are you trying to prove? I said he won't ever be as good as Crosby even thought he had the package to be, talent and physically wise. They both rushes the puck with power and strength, but Crosby has the edge on the understanding of the game. You seemed to agree. Is it because I think Nathan is a better player than Galchenyuk that gets you mad like this?

Old
11-08-2012, 06:21 PM
HABS2DCUP

Quote:
Finally! At least someone here agrees with me!

Old
11-08-2012, 06:29 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
typo I meant had not add. what point are you trying to prove? I said he won't ever be as good as Crosby even thought he had the package to be, talent and physically wise. They both rushes the puck with power and strength, but Crosby has the edge on the understanding of the game. You seemed to agree. Is it because I think Nathan is a better player than Galchenyuk that gets you mad like this?
Well, no. Initially you said "add some vision," and then you said, "if Nathan had Crosby's vision." These are different things and what they represent, is you backing off your original point of "add some vision, and you have Crosby." You also didn't mention the understanding of the game, which is another big piece of the puzzle. Furthermore, you didn't quantify what "some vision" amounted to. Lastly, you went from not even skating, but one aspect of skating to "crosby gaiz." Essentially, what it boils down to was a silly point, even if it were true.

Last edited by overlords: 11-08-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old
11-08-2012, 06:47 PM
overlords
Hfboards

oi, calm down in here.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:16 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Hey guys, you know, it doesn't really matter. Chill out

There, heres a Robert Lang to calm you all down.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Hey guys, you know, it doesn't really matter. Chill out

There, heres a Robert Lang to calm you all down.

he was great.. too bad we let him go.. hard to find such a loveable teamate. he was kind of a talented clutch Spacek (before the trade) lol.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:14 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Again. Cut it out.

Threadbanning takes a lot less effort than constantly deleting/merging/warning people over and over.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:10 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Anyone know how galchenyuk is in the faceoff circle? It's a shame half his games are getting split up with him playing on the wings...I just hope Therrien doesn't put him on the wings when he makes the habs team in a year or two.
Below average. Over his rookie season he was pretty bad at draws. This year he's also been bad, but has worked on them a ton. He used to try to win them cleanly every single time, but as of late he's trying various techniques to win them.

Since I started tracking his FO% five games ago, he's gone 7 for 11, which is good for 64%. It's a very small sample size, but at least he's shown improvement in the minimal amount that he has taken.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:16 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
What do you mean by 1st line center? As in, just our best center, or what you would call a legitimately good option for 1st line center on most teams?
This.

I think most of us should expect Gally to be a more physical and productive Plekanec with a solid two way game.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:27 PM
beaverBFP

Quote:
This.

I think most of us should expect Gally to be a more physical and productive Plekanec with a solid two way game.
I don't know if he'll be more physical then pleks, haven't seen him get physical really (from what ive seen from clips at least). But i agree with a pleks with better hands and more skill.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:38 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverBFP View Post
I don't know if he'll be more physical then pleks, haven't seen him get physical really (from what ive seen from clips at least). But i agree with a pleks with better hands and more skill.
So like...?

Old
11-08-2012, 11:03 PM
DAChampion

Jonathan Toews, selected 3rd overall, and can legitimately be argued to be the best pick of the 2006 draft.

Here are the choices:

1) Erik Johnson
2) Jordan Staal
3) Jonathan Toews
4) Nicklas Backstrom
5) Phil Kessel
22) Claude Giroux

Let's hope that comparison lives up !!!

Closed Thread