HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Prospect Talk PART IV

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Degeneration Rex

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I thought the Pens drafted him late.
They did in round 7-I thought some team would take him possibly as high as the 4th round
at the draft.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:03 PM
scott99

Great scouting job by the Isle's brain trust (how's that for an oxymoron). Obviously Ledoufous, Somerby, Graham and Bischoff are way better prospects than Zlobin. I mean, seriously ? They couldn't have taken a chance on this kid after scouting his teammate Kabanov all season long. At this point Zlobin is a better prospect than Kabanov. I know every team passed him up through 6 rounds, but look at who the hell we picked in rounds 4-7, if you're gonna throw away picks on day 2, and take a chance on nobodies, might as well try to actually pick a guy who has talent. Watch Zlobin become a 40 goal scorer riding shotgun with Crosby.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:10 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Great scouting job by the Isle's brain trust (how's that for an oxymoron). Obviously Ledoufous, Somerby, Graham and Bischoff are way better prospects than Zlobin. I mean, seriously ? They couldn't have taken a chance on this kid after scouting his teammate Kabanov all season long. At this point Zlobin is a better prospect than Kabanov. I know every team passed him up through 6 rounds, but look at who the hell we picked in rounds 4-7, if you're gonna throw away picks on day 2, and take a chance on nobodies, might as well try to actually pick a guy who has talent. Watch Zlobin become a 40 goal scorer riding shotgun with Crosby.
Listen scott, we get it. You're not a fan of the draft selections. Zlobin went in the 7th round, we're not talking about someone we passed over in the 2nd round. I highly doubt he's going to score 40 in the NHL, those days of Rob Brown types doesn't happen too much anymore. Zlobin is not a Federov/Lidstrom that someone lucked out in the late rounds. If he does turn out that way, I'll be happy to eat my words. I don't plan on doing that though.

Rather that dwell on that, wouldn't it be more productive to focus on the players that are in the system. Those names you mentioned are projects and will probably not pan out, but that's what you should expect from selecting them that late.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Degeneration Rex

At least in Somerby and Bischoff''s case both are still in high school. Somerby is going to Boston University next year and Bischoff to University of Minnesota. Two of the best college programs with top coaches must have seen something to recruit them. Whether they develop who knows. Im not going to call them wasted picks, we have to see what happens after they join their school's teams.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 11-07-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old
11-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
You have to factor in the Islanders current situation as far as space is concerned. They have a ton of prospects and not enough room for all of them. IMO, taking a chance on promising but raw prospects that are years away from being in the AHL was the right move to make. Somerby is probably a good 5 years away.

Next year, you're going to see Pedan, Kichton, Pelech and possibly Reinhart and Pokka all added to BP. We've already got a goaltender playing in Europe because we have no room for him and let some decent prospects go (Spurgeon).

It's not a bad problem to have. If it annoys you, I've got a perfect remedy for ya.... open up our list of top prospects now, and compare it to the one from 5-6 years ago.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:26 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Funny tweet from Kabby and pic of his wrist. looks like a nasty cut.

Kirill Kabanov ‏@kabby77
Pretty sure my surgent was a zorro.. #welldone #feelgood pic.twitter.com/dUJclLha

Wow, that is a pretty grizzly gash!

Old
11-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Degeneration Rex

Wednesday

Kelowna 3, Edmonton 2-Reinhart, even.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Be careful! It can be dangerous around here when you question certain Islander drafting tendencies...

Old
11-08-2012, 07:14 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Strome needs a haircut. Nice to see he's wearing an A.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:18 PM
StumpNYI

Did anyone else see strome man handle that guy behind the ohl net? Was that a small russian? interesting...

Old
11-08-2012, 07:27 PM
scott99

Strome definitely looks bigger and faster. Also, he really seems to play with a ton of confidence. Also saw him make a few good defensive plays. Really getting excited about the type of player Strome is becoming, a perfect 2nd line center for the Isles.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:28 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Did anyone else see strome man handle that guy behind the ohl net? Was that a small russian? interesting...
Team Canada is really going hard at the Russians, dominating play so far. Strome has definitely upped his physical quotient, he still looks like a kid - a high schooler rather than a middle schooler like last year.

Monahan looks pretty good. McDavid is a sweet dangler.

EDIT: Yeah, Strome has definitely gotten stronger and does look slightly bigger. Nice board battle and pass to Ritchie. Liking what I see.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:53 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Be careful! It can be dangerous around here when you question certain Islander drafting tendencies...
Chapin, you don't get enough credit for lighting a fire under Stromer, finally getting the very results you had first posted about. Kinda ironic.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:55 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Team Canada is really going hard at the Russians, dominating play so far. Strome has definitely upped his physical quotient, he still looks like a kid - a high schooler rather than a middle schooler
Team Canada?

He still does look young. But so does RNH.

If he can play, he can play.
I just hope he can play.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:57 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Strome does look stronger out there, is willing to battle and engage physically. He does look quicker and there is a little more burst to his skating. I have one serious peeve with his skating, what's with the hopping into strides - power through those son! He needs more time with Johnny's skating coach.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:59 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Team Canada?

I just hope he can play.
Haha, Freudian slip for sure.

Strome is a lock for TC though. Strome does have some sweet mitts though, quick stick.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:01 PM
scott99

Quote:
Team Canada?

I just hope he can play.
The boy can play. Definitely gonna be a 60-70 point a year 2nd line center, I have no doubts. Hopefully the Isles allow him to play at the WJHC, even I there is a mini training camp after there is a CBA agreement.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:12 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Strome does look stronger out there, is willing to battle and engage physically. He does look quicker and there is a little more burst to his skating. I have one serious peeve with his skating, what's with the hopping into strides - power through those son! He needs more time with Johnny's skating coach.
Yeah. There seems to be some awkwardness with his stride that may need some work but he's a really smart offensive player who sees the ice so well. He will be a very good PP player for sure. If he can get stronger and skate with more power he can have a really strong NHL career.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Chapin, you don't get enough credit for lighting a fire under Stromer, finally getting the very results you had first posted about. Kinda ironic.

Makes one wonder if he's been checking out the boards?

Anyhow, just found an online stream, but it's a bit fuzzy. Strome's wearing number... 18???

Old
11-08-2012, 08:30 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

How's Strome looking in the 2nd period? I can't miss the Voice. It's my guilty pleasure.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:11 PM
scott99

Quote:
How's Strome looking in the 2nd period? I can't miss the Voice. It's my guilty pleasure.
Kinda invisible. Not dominating like I hoped. Announcers keep saying Brett Ritchie has been the best player on the ice. Hopefully Strome has a better game Monday.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:27 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Kinda invisible. Not dominating like I hoped. Announcers keep saying Brett Ritchie has been the best player on the ice. Hopefully Strome has a better game Monday.
It's a tight game, nobody really standing out. Russians just scored two quick goals to take a 2-1 lead but nobody's really jumped out today.

It's a bit astonishing that McDavid is just 15 though. He looks like he belongs.

Strome's been good. I don't expect him to dominate in this game, kind of an all-star game. Strome make Ritchie look good because he makes smart passes. Ritchie is like Moulson, but physical. Strome is more like 91.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:29 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Makes one wonder if he's been checking out the boards?

Anyhow, just found an online stream, but it's a bit fuzzy. Strome's wearing number... 18???
Of course he reads the boards. Why wouldn't he.

That's why we waste so much time on here, to help the team. No?!

Old
11-08-2012, 10:58 PM
leaponover

Quote:

Haha, I just ran into posts on page 11 by accident and all Chapin's criticism about Strome. I looked at the date and shook my head and had to laugh. Poor Chapin!

Old
11-09-2012, 12:18 PM
sb24

Nelson story
http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=645169

Closed Thread