HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XX)

Old
11-08-2012, 04:32 PM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

vCash: 500
Clarkson is the second biggest puck-hog in the league behind Ovechkin.

http://nhlnumbers.com/2012/11/6/hogg...ld-be-doing-it

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
To think for the last two minutes or so it looked like we were gonna get out of that PK only down 2-0 too. It looked like they had things settled down. We overcame so much adversity this playoffs too, and answered the bell every time. Blowing the lead in game 3 vs Florida, and Clemmy coming in and making him look like Hasek. Then destroying him in game 4. Theodore shutting us out in game 5, and being down 3-2 in the series. Coming home, and blowing a 2-0 lead, but winning in OT to send it back to Florida. Blowing the 2-0 lead in the 3rd period in game 7, and then winning in double OT.

Losing game 1 to the Flyers in OT, beating them in game 2 with no Kovy. Being screwed by the refs in game 3 countless times, but killing off the OT penalties, and winning it.

Being shutout by Lundqvist in game 1, answering in game 2, only to be shut out in game 3 again, and answering in game 4. Blowing the 3-0 lead in game 5, and going up with just minutes to go in regulation, blowing the 2-0 lead in game 6 to win in OT.

Down 3-0 to LA. Getting the lead late in regulation after the BS boarding call on Clarkson, and PP goal. Hanging on in game 5. That penalty was the only adversity to crush us.
The call waas bad. Scuderi was looking.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
What really sucked was somebody(Stoll?) took out Gionta on the same shift. If that was called, the shift would have ended, and that wouldn't have happened. That was the same crew who gave Clarkson the BS boarding call in game 4 when they scored, and tied the game on the PP. I warned everyone about that too before game 6. When Pierre, and Olczyk are saying a call against the Devils is bad, then you know it's a bad call.

If we challenged Quick the way we challenged Lundqvist we might have actually been able to score more goals on him. You can say he stole game 1, and 2 by making sharp saves, but he wasn't stopping breakaways, and multiple rushes like Marty was in games 4, and 5. The only odd man situation we even had against them was Henrique's goal.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:27 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

amazing!

"ive got enough of crap....ive got enough of crap!!!"

cant believe ive never seen this before.

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
He turned on purpose with full knowledge of Bernier. However, that call is going to be made every time, unfortunately. Bernier made the mistake of going in with too much speed, so that when Scuderi turned, he had no other choice but to run into him.

Quote:
What really sucked was somebody(Stoll?) took out Gionta on the same shift. If that was called, the shift would have ended, and that wouldn't have happened. That was the same crew who gave Clarkson the BS boarding call in game 4 when they scored, and tied the game on the PP. I warned everyone about that too before game 6. When Pierre, and Olczyk are saying a call against the Devils is bad, then you know it's a bad call..
The Gionta hit was marginal, the Bernier hit was not. Gionta's may or may not be called, depending on how well the hitee sells it or where it is on the ice. Bernier's is going to be a five minute major every time. The Devils got strung up on how the Gionta hit wasn't called, instead of focusing at the task on hand and killing off the penalty.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
He turned on purpose with full knowledge of Bernier. However, that call is going to be made every time, unfortunately. Bernier made the mistake of going in with too much speed, so that when Scuderi turned, he had no other choice but to run into him.

The Gionta hit was marginal, the Bernier hit was not. Gionta's may or may not be called, depending on how well the hitee sells it or where it is on the ice. Bernier's is going to be a five minute major every time. The Devils got strung up on how the Gionta hit wasn't called, instead of focusing at the task on hand and killing off the penalty.
Right there. I find that plays like that are not good and that if players purposefully do that, there should not be big penalties doled out. And the way Scuderi was on the ice basically looking waiting for the refs to call it was crap. Devils deserved to win. Or to have had less ref crap. I would have been happy if NJ won the cup because I've lived here forever and it'd be cool to see the cup, even if I'm a Rangers fan. Respect is due. But I'm not gonna stir up too much trouble, but LA shouldn't have even made the postseason this year.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Well I agree about the PK. The refs will screw you all the time. We had a very good kill earlier in the game, and then sucked really bad on that one. Our PK was a joke in the playoffs for the most part. The Rangers were scoring PP goals every game the first 3 of the ECF. They had a terrible PP percentage in the playoffs too. I think the Kings score 6 PP goals all playoffs before us. They matched that by scoring another 6 in our series alone. 3 of them were on that same PP though. It's hard to kill off a major PP though. With 5 minutes you have to use a lot of different guys on the PK who normally wouldn't play on the PK.

Zidlicky was REALLY BAD on the PK though going back, and looking at them again. No more PK for him, I'd rather put Larsson on it instead of him. It was ironic our record breaking PK almost caught us the series against Florida, and was our downfall in the our last SCF game.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Bernier was fully deserving of the five minute major. If what happened to Scuderi happened to a Devil every single person here would have been up in arms calling for the 5+game.

Robbie Ftorek would agree, too.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Zippy316

Other than reminding of that depressing night.....

What do you guys feel about?

To NJ: Mason Raymond
To xxx: Henrik Tallinder
To VAN: Something from xxx that fills their needs and has equal value.

Most importantly, do you guys think Raymond for Tallinder is fair. It's quite obvious Vancouver doesn't want Tallinder, but I was curious to see if a three way deal could be done.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:34 PM
apice3*

Tallinder is certainly expendable, but I'd go after something better than Raymond.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Other than reminding of that depressing night.....

What do you guys feel about?

To NJ: Mason Raymond
To xxx: Henrik Tallinder
To VAN: Something from xxx that fills their needs and has equal value.

Most importantly, do you guys think Raymond for Tallinder is fair. It's quite obvious Vancouver doesn't want Tallinder, but I was curious to see if a three way deal could be done.
What's with you, and 3 way trades?

Yeah I mean I would do it, but here's something to think about. Raymond will be a first time UFA next year, and due for getting a raise. We don't necessarily have to keep him though. If next year's July 1st is as ugly as this year's, then we're in for another bumpy scary day(s) as Elias/Zubrus waits on the backburner for Zajac/Clarkson just as Marty, and Bryce did for Parise. Raymond might be next years Poni if that happened.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:42 PM
kiwidevil

Raymond gets a pretty bad rap. He has speed to burn, which we don't really have in our top 6. Probably good for 20 goals most years.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Raymond gets a pretty bad rap. He has speed to burn, which we don't really have in our top 6. Probably good for 20 goals most years.
20 goal scorer for Tallinder? Absolutely. Especially when our defense had the goal scoring depth of a blue line full of Colin White's and Dano's last season. Hopefully with Zidlicky this year if there is one that changes. Larsson can bring some offense. Greene can too, but he was usually only scoring on the PP with Lemaire back in 09/10.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:48 PM
kiwidevil

He is a scapegoat for Vancouver fans. Him and Luongo get most of the heat, no matter how much the twins and Kessler fail.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
He is a scapegoat for Vancouver fans. Him and Luongo get most of the heat, no matter how much the twins and Kessler fail.
I've seen him play, and he isn't so bad. Could be a good cheap option. He is a UFA again though this Summer, and will probably get more money on his next contract(Like Zajac, Clarkson) no one says we have to re sign him though so I wouldn't mind.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:04 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Bernier was fully deserving of the five minute major. If what happened to Scuderi happened to a Devil every single person here would have been up in arms calling for the 5+game.

Robbie Ftorek would agree, too.
I agree, too.

I got on Bernier's case real bad before being made to see reason that Scuderi WAS looking.

Frankly, since there's no rules against basically playing a sucker for a sucker like Scuderi did to Steve, then that's what will happen.

In the NBA now, there are new rules against Flopping. In the NHL, there are no rules against PURPOSELY looking to draw a penalty.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
What's with you, and 3 way trades?

Yeah I mean I would do it, but here's something to think about. Raymond will be a first time UFA next year, and due for getting a raise. We don't necessarily have to keep him though. If next year's July 1st is as ugly as this year's, then we're in for another bumpy scary day(s) as Elias/Zubrus waits on the backburner for Zajac/Clarkson just as Marty, and Bryce did for Parise. Raymond might be next years Poni if that happened.
Even though they are very rare, sometimes they can be win-win-win. A team can get the assets they want from two teams that a single team wouldn't be willing to deal. I saw a Statsny/Ryan swap that sent Ryan to COL, Statsny to BUF, and then Colorado and Buffalo both sent the pieces to Anaheim. In that case, Buffalo and Colorado are getting Ryan and Statsny for less than market value, but Anaheim gets a lot for them.

In that deal, Vancouver/NJ aren't ideal partners in a Raymond for Tallinder deal, but NJ is an ideal place for Raymond, a team like Detroit could use Tallinder, and Vancouver could use a 3C, if Detroit had one to spare.

The UFA is my only concern about that deal, but other than that, Vancouver has an insanely deep forward group. Raymond will get top six minutes easy and will be put in a position to thrive. He should be able to crack 20 goals easy, considering he'd likely be playing alongside either Kovalchuk or Elias.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:19 PM
apice3*

Raymond scored 20 goals once. I wouldn't call him "good for 20 goals."

He's a good player to gamble on, but we have a proven expendable D-man so I'd like a proven forward in exchange.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Raymond scored 20 goals once. I wouldn't call him "good for 20 goals."

He's a good player to gamble on, but we have a proven expendable D-man so I'd like a proven forward in exchange.
Raymond's not a proven forward?

I'm sorry, but we're not getting much better than Raymond straight up for Tallinder. In fact, that's probably the most we would get unless we find another team with an abundance of forwards so they can spare a young speedy, two-way second/third line tweener.

Raymond is a proven 15g 15a all around guy. Arguably, he's another Zubrus with less versatility and more speed. He's the all-around player that the Devils love, the "can play any role" type player.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:27 PM
kiwidevil

Good to see you miss out the "probably good for 20 goals"

He plays 3rd line most of the time and has scored 25, 15, and 10 goals in 82, 70 and 50 games respectively.

Predicting 20 is far from a hail mary.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Zippy316

Quote:

He plays 3rd line most of the time and has scored 25, 15, and 10 goals in 82, 70 and 50 games respectively.

Even if he does get less than twenty, he will contribute in many, many more ways as well.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

You know I would feel A LOT more confident right now if we could have signed at least one of Poni, or Sykora. Just one of them, and one of Tedenby, or Butler.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
You know I would feel A LOT more confident right now if we could have signed at least one of Poni, or Sykora. Just one of them, and one of Tedenby, or Butler.
I wish Lou went after AK

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 07:45 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
I wish Lou went after AK
Andrei Kirilenko?

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:09 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Raymond's not a proven forward?

I'm sorry, but we're not getting much better than Raymond straight up for Tallinder. In fact, that's probably the most we would get unless we find another team with an abundance of forwards so they can spare a young speedy, two-way second/third line tweener.

Raymond is a proven 15g 15a all around guy. Arguably, he's another Zubrus with less versatility and more speed. He's the all-around player that the Devils love, the "can play any role" type player.
If Mason Raymond is the best we can get for Tallinder, I'd rather rotate 7 D-men and sign Sykora. Raymond has very little value coming out of Vancouver.

Also, I wouldn't compare Raymond to Zubrus in any aspect of hockey aside from their point totals.

Quote:

"Probably" or otherwise, I wouldn't expect 20 goals out of Raymond until he proves he can consistently do it. Not saying he can't, but if I'm trading for a player who I expect 20 goals from, I'd prefer it be a guy who has done it more than once in his career.