HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Offseason Thread III (Now with Bonus Offseason!)

Closed Thread

Old
10-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 50
Damn, Loui has great taste.

Old
10-28-2012, 10:32 AM
jagrgodr

vCash: 500
http://www.foxsportswest.com/10/27/1...5&feedID=10072

Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk has been scouting several of his European-based players, and after recently attending a Hamburg Freezers game featuring dynamic young forward Jamie Benn, is planning on viewing Jagr’s game against rival HC Sparta Praha on Sunday.

Once he arrives in Kladno, he’ll play witness to a boisterous home crowd in the Extraliga’s oldest arena that will be pulsating with fan support and a resurgence of premier hockey talent – with thanks greatly due to Jaromir Jagr.

Old
10-28-2012, 01:59 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
http://www.foxsportswest.com/10/27/1...5&feedID=10072

Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk has been scouting several of his European-based players, and after recently attending a Hamburg Freezers game featuring dynamic young forward Jamie Benn, is planning on viewing Jagr’s game against rival HC Sparta Praha on Sunday.

Once he arrives in Kladno, he’ll play witness to a boisterous home crowd in the Extraliga’s oldest arena that will be pulsating with fan support and a resurgence of premier hockey talent – with thanks greatly due to Jaromir Jagr.
Quite good choice by Nieuwendyk considering Jagr scored a hattrick and added an assist tonight.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:43 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Will The Dallas Stars Survive A Lost Season?

Will The Dallas Stars Survive A Lost Season?

Quote:
This brings us to the current lockout and the effect it will have on a fanbase that was already on shaky ground. It is clear that fans are taking this lockout as a personal insult, that the league -- and to some extent the players -- have taken the fans for granted and instead of working together to build the game and improve the league moving forward, the battle has become more about "winning" and egos and who will come out on top.
http://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/11...s-tom-gaglardi

Old
11-01-2012, 11:46 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Locked-Out Dallas Stars Play On Overseas

Locked-Out Dallas Stars Play On Overseas

Quote:
Only a handful of Dallas Stars have ventured overseas in the early going of the NHL's lockout. How much longer before more follow?
http://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/10...ay-on-overseas

Old
11-01-2012, 11:47 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Interesting article....

Old
11-01-2012, 11:55 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Just FYI, we don't really post new threads here unless there's something significant. And definitely not for blog entries.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:31 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Just FYI, we don't really post new threads here unless there's something significant. And definitely not for blog entries.
Well, different subforums on this site kinda do their own thing. Honestly, it makes it much easier to see stuff with new threads, but that's fine.

Old
11-01-2012, 05:55 PM
FrailSwan

YES. Finally. Our first owner vocalizing opposition to the lockout.

http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/ho...181/story.html

Old
11-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Would be shocked if he didn't get fined.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:38 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Speaking of new threads, if this lockout keeps up then I advocate a one-stop shop for all of our Dallas Stars overseas. It's pretty lame to find Jamie Benn in Germany talk in a thread that started about him and his contract. Likewise for Jagr and how his season is going and his own personal thread. Then if you want to see something about Larsen, Wandell, etc. then we have to search through this thread, which was originally about who we should sign and trade over the summer.

Old
11-02-2012, 06:37 PM
FrailSwan

Can't get enough of the Walsh/Dreger getting into it.

Old
11-02-2012, 09:55 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Sounds like Steve Fehr and Daly are going to meet in an undisclosed location tomorrow for bargaining.

I think this is a good sign. The fact the past week or so has been quiet until today and then this.. People involved in labor negotiations and experts in the media alike have all claimed that negotiations won't be serious until they're being done in private and not pandering to the media for PR. This is a start of that IMO.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

You guys don't still have Godard under contract do ya? If you do/did, he retired (http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/sports/176874371.html)...if you don't, well, sorry to bring his name up again...

YouTube Channel: The Two-Line Pass - Hockey news, knowledge, video breakdowns and more: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAI...52Q577Q/videos

Latest installments:Ep. 2 - Cody Franson Overplayed His Hand

Ep. 3 - NHL Expansion Process
Old
11-02-2012, 11:14 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
He was bought out. His contract was going to be on the books until 2014. Not sure what happens now.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Quote:
He was bought out. His contract was going to be on the books until 2014. Not sure what happens now.
Oh, if he was bought out, nothing changes re: his retiring.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:16 PM
hairylikebear
RIP HFStars

Quote:
Nothing changes. His buyout cap hit still applies.

well ****. delete plox

Old
11-08-2012, 12:04 PM
BigG44

Apparently at least one person in the media thinks amnesty buyouts are back on the table, and I do think that's a reasonable possibility. They happened out of the last lockout, and I don't see why they wouldn't this time.

I think this could create some interesting conversation, but I have to point out how absurd the suggestion for a potential Dallas Stars buyout is:

Quote:
Dallas Stars: Jaromir Jagr
Yeah, they signed him last summer. But still … US$4.5-million? Really?
I'm leaning towards this is just an arrogant, obnoxious Canadian media type with no clue what is happening with the Sun Belt teams. It makes me want to just ignore the entire article when something this silly is said, but I think it could still lead to an interesting conversation.

The reason I believe that Jagr is such an asinine option is it's a one year deal and Dallas is no where close to the cap. Even if the cap goes down, which many think won't happen in Year 1, Dallas would likely be just fine. Yeah the salary is a bit high, but that's what it takes to convince a 40 year old hockey player to join a re-tooling team that hasn't played in the playoffs in 4 years. They didn't just sign Jagr to score points and win games. They want that, but any person with an ounce of awareness of this team knows a huge reason GMJN and Gaglardi want him is to help help mentor Dallas' young team like he did Giroux in Phili. Plus, in a 60 game season, Jagr's only making around $3.3 million.

Regardless ..... any names in there that interest anyone? I've brought this name up before ... obviously before Dallas traded for Derek Roy ... if Lecavalier actually was bought out I'd be interested in him. He's obviously a bit overkill with Benn, Roy, and Eakin this year. Plus, the natural assumption I think would be he'd go to Montreal. Still, he's a big center which Dallas has talked about acquiring. Eakin could move to wing like he played in Washington until another Top 3 center spot opened up.

That probably pushes Morrow out of the Top 9 for sure, but I don’t think that’s a big deal at all.

Eriksson-Benn-Jagr
Whitney-Roy-Ryder
Eakin-Lecavalier-Vincour
Morrow-Fiddler-Nystrom (though I’d prefer to see Sceviour win this spot)

Old
11-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Brand New Stars

Huge Lecavalier fan. I feel like Montreal would get him though.

Old
11-08-2012, 01:27 PM
txomisc

wow, what a fool.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:57 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

No way Lecavalier gets bought out. If he does, it's for Tampa's sake and he'll just re-sign with them at a cheaper cap hit.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
No way Lecavalier gets bought out. If he does, it's for Tampa's sake and he'll just re-sign with them at a cheaper cap hit.
Doubt that. Lecavalier still has the mind to play like a beast (See Jagr) but I think Richards killed any and all hope of Vincent ending up here.

If he get's bought out he won't re-sign with Tampa.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:56 PM
BigG44

Quote:
There's no reason to expect the league to change buyout rules, and a bought out player cannot be re-signed by the team buying them out.

Allowing that would be a total joke honestly. It would technically be collusion. You make a side deal with the player to give him 2/3rds of his current contract then sign him to a smaller cap hit so he still gets all or most of his money and you save a ton of cap space.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:58 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Then he won't be bought out. Behind Stamkos, he's the heart and soul of that team still. Just ask Lightning fans.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:10 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Then he won't be bought out. Behind Stamkos, he's the heart and soul of that team still. Just ask Lightning fans.
If it was a 100% hockey decision I'd almost have to agree with you.

There are some potentially serious monetary ramifications unfortunately. The league wants to punish teams for front loaded contracts. They want to force all contracts like his to count against a teams cap regardless of the player retiring. Even if he's traded to another team and then retires, the leagues wants to charge his remaining cap hit to the original team. In addition, there is some talk about changing the cap hit calculations on these contracts. His silly, almost $8 million hit could jump significantly.

Unfortunately, I think there is a reason for TB fans to be concerned he's bought out. He's still an effective player, but 20 goals and 50/60 points a season isn't good enough for the amount of cap space he could potentially require.

Closed Thread