Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24giovanni View Post
How many 3b have been developed in the majors these past years?
If you'd asked that question 3 years ago I'd have said "not many." But there have been several over the last couple seasons. Longoria, Moustakas, Lawrie, Trumbo, Freese, all spring to mind. I think there's a pretty decent new kid in Seattle too, can't remember his name.

Edit: Kyle Seager.

Third base talent had been at low ebb for years when we got Mike Lowell, making his acquisition all the more valuable, but it's made a comeback since.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:29 AM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
If you'd asked that question 3 years ago I'd have said "not many." But there have been several over the last couple seasons. Longoria, Moustakas, Lawrie, Trumbo, Freese, all spring to mind. I think there's a pretty decent new kid in Seattle too, can't remember his name.

Third base talent had been at low ebb for years when we got Mike Lowell, making his acquisition all the more valuable, but it's made a comeback since.
Trumbo is not a third baseman by any means.

Middlebrooks is more of a power threat, and hits for higher average, than Moustakas, Seager and Lawrie. Freese is also not the power threat that Middlebrooks is, as this past season was the first that saw him eclipse 20 hrs, at the age of 29. Longoria is one of, if not the, best third basemen in baseball.

Lawrie is a year or two younger I believe, everyone else is either the same age or older than Middlebrooks.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

You're adding criteria to the question.

The fact is that there are actually quite a few young, high potential 3B in the league right now and what Middlebrooks provides is exciting, but hardly unique in the entire league. There are a number of teams that might decide to trade a potential high ceiling 3B for Justin Upton who could match the asking price of Will Middlebrooks well enough if they decided to do it, that we wouldn't be "bidding against ourselves" as such.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:42 AM
kman22

Quote:
You're adding criteria to the question.

The fact is that there are actually quite a few young, high potential 3B in the league right now and what Middlebrooks provides is exciting, but hardly unique in the entire league. There are a number of teams that might decide to trade a potential high ceiling 3B for Justin Upton who could match the asking price of Will Middlebrooks well enough that we wouldn't be "bidding against ourselves" as such.
Fair, I did add criteria. With that said, while what he offers might not be unique, per say, he does offer a higher level of what he brings than the others that provide similar skill sets. Again, more power and a higher average.

I don't think that any of those third basemen are available for trade either. Any of the third basemen you listed that is, at least not for Justin Upton.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

The Mariners might, if they decide they're desperate for offense and want to take the chance that Alex Liddi can hold third base down.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:28 AM
kman22

Quote:
The Mariners might, if they decide they're desperate for offense and want to take the chance that Alex Liddi can hold third base down.
Maybe, but Seager led the team in hits and hrs, while also having the flexibility to play 3B, SS, or 2B. I can't see them parting with him, especially for Upton, but I suppose he is the most likely to be moved from that list (for Upton).

Old
11-08-2012, 11:37 AM
24giovanni

Quote:

Longoria has been in MLB for half a decade now so I wouldn't count him, Trumbo is not a 3B and Freese is almost 30 so I don't find him that recent. I dont find that as many.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:52 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
Quote:
Doubt all you want to. That's entirely your right. However, it doesn't impact the fact that any trade for Upton would take much more than Cecchini and Doubront.

If you think that Bogaerts and Middlebrooks are all that unique as prospects you have another think coming. They're exciting, but they aren't exactly Bryce Harper and Giancarlo Stanton.
Theo Epstein called Bogaerts a future 10x all star this past season. He's got insane raw power (30hr+), he's not Trout, but one of the best we've had in a while.

Old
11-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Hazi

It looks like the Red Sox are interested in Shin-Soo Choo and Masterson:

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/m..._choo/12160756

What would we give up though?

Old
11-08-2012, 03:20 PM
24giovanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinswincup View Post
Theo Epstein called Bogaerts a future 10x all star this past season. He's got insane raw power (30hr+), he's not Trout, but one of the best we've had in a while.
Jim Callis also predicted Bogaerts as being a 30+ HR guy in the future.

http://audio.weei.com/a/65616201/min...jim-callis.htm

Old
11-08-2012, 03:29 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
The future of 3B/SS/LF are dependent on where Bogaerts lands. There is still hope he can stick at SS, an outside shot at that. He's going to be a big kid when he fills out a little more.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:17 PM
CDJ*

Plus he is Aruban, so count that as another region that is going to be in love with the Red Sox.

He is legitimately the best prospect we have had since Hanley Ramirez. The damage he is going to end up doing at Fenway could be unreal.

We are going to have two right handed, middle of the order, youthful bats in a couple of years. VERY exciting.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:28 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
Plus he is Aruban, so count that as another region that is going to be in love with the Red Sox.

He is legitimately the best prospect we have had since Hanley Ramirez. The damage he is going to end up doing at Fenway could be unreal.

We are going to have two right handed, middle of the order, youthful bats in a couple of years. VERY exciting.
And a young CF coming up who could be patrolling that area for the next decade. I'm hoping for Hanley 2.0 with a better work ethic. Just interesting how where he ends up playing affects the roster so much. Have to think they are keep him in mind this winter knowing he's coming. I think he'll end up in LF, especially if we keep WMB for the time being. he certainly has the bat to be there.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:37 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

In case someone hasn't seem him, just a short clip from the futures game. He is 6'3 175...LOL he'll get bigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6xguZPJ5yw

Old
11-08-2012, 06:43 PM
CDJ*

It is the only reason why he is going to have to move off SS. They expect him to be less fluid when he fills out, although that is no guarantee. He could end up staying at SS, but I'd say there is about a 10% chance of that.

He could legitimately finish at an athletic 6'4'' 220 when he is a grown man. Scary.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:45 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Quote:
It is the only reason why he is going to have to move off SS. They expect him to be less fluid when he fills out, although that is no guarantee. He could end up staying at SS, but I'd say there is about a 10% chance of that.

He could legitimately finish at an athletic 6'4'' 220 when he is a grown man. Scary.
He's going to be A-Rod with Texas, size wise. Hopefully without the roids.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
redsox seen meeting on russ martin. might require more moves. but boston isnt anti-yankee. also like kuroda, tried for tino

Salty gone?

Old
11-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
redsox seen meeting on russ martin. might require more moves. but boston isnt anti-yankee. also like kuroda, tried for tino

Salty gone?
Martin, Kuroda, Swisher, and Sanchez? Three Yankees and an above average pitcher who wants $90M?

There isn't much on the free agent market this year but I don't want any of those guys. Yuck.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:

That's in the same ballpark as Troy Tulowitzki's playing weight at 6'3" 215

Similar to Jhonny Peralta too and he's stuck at shortstop, although he's no great shakes there.

I think he needs to be given a chance to fail at SS (note: Yes I know no one is disagreeing with this) and move him off short a few years down the road.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:45 PM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Martin, Kuroda, Swisher, and Sanchez? Three Yankees and an above average pitcher who wants $90M?

There isn't much on the free agent market this year but I don't want any of those guys. Yuck.
Same, especially with Kuroda and Swisher receiving qualifying offers.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:45 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Xander's defense will have to improve if he has any shot at sticking at SS.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Quote:
He's going to be A-Rod with Texas, size wise. Hopefully without the roids.
i don't care about the roids as long as he doesn't get caught

Old
11-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Of course they will bring in Hunter years after I wanted him

Old
11-09-2012, 11:09 AM
24giovanni

Quote:
Xander's defense will have to improve if he has any shot at sticking at SS.
Is he really that bad or are you going by what people say? Have you actually seen him play SS?

Old
11-09-2012, 11:12 AM
CDJ*

Reports have him as getting much better with more experience. Being from Aruba, he did not really have access to the clinics and instructors that he would have had in the Dominican or elsewhere. Because of this, he was incredibly raw when he first arrived.

He is becoming much more fluid in the field. He will be just fine.

Closed Thread