HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2012, 12:38 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I almost always use a bit of a wood plug for weight. I just put my weighted plug in my Widow...chopped it down 1" and the plug is 1" long plus I hollowed it out and put some lead sinkers in it for balance.
Haha really? The Widow is ridiculously blade-light.

Old
10-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Whoops not Widow, Diablo. And yeah it is really blade light. But I wanted to see how it felt with more mass up top. I like the feel of some weight in my top hands.

I did the same thing with my X:60 and Dynasty...chopped it down and put a plug in. Everything plays/feels better with that to me.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:41 PM
BigDuke6

My son has been working towards earning a new stick, and he's getting pretty close to earning it, so I thought I would seek out some advice/input.

My son is 10 years old, first year of travel, and uses a junior stick. He's a big kid, 5 feet and say 115 lbs. He does have a good wrist shot, but it is inconsistent, when he gets a good wrister off it is a really sold shot. He does have a slap shot, but that is even less consistent than the wrister (think 5% of the time or less he gets a good one off).

He's a decent stick handler, but nothing magical, he's the biggest kid on the team, usually the biggest kid on any team, more of a power/strenght player than speed/agility. He has been using a Vaper X4.0 with a Kane curve, 50 flex. He gets the USA Hockey Magazine and sees all the adds, so he's dazzled by getting an RSII or the CCM RBZ (not sure we'll be spending that much $$$).

Given his height he's close to needing an intermediate stick, but I don't want him to have to make that adjustment during the season. I was just curious if anyone has any thoughts, insights, or recommendations.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:34 PM
ArrogantOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
My son has been working towards earning a new stick, and he's getting pretty close to earning it, so I thought I would seek out some advice/input.

My son is 10 years old, first year of travel, and uses a junior stick. He's a big kid, 5 feet and say 115 lbs. He does have a good wrist shot, but it is inconsistent, when he gets a good wrister off it is a really sold shot. He does have a slap shot, but that is even less consistent than the wrister (think 5% of the time or less he gets a good one off).

He's a decent stick handler, but nothing magical, he's the biggest kid on the team, usually the biggest kid on any team, more of a power/strenght player than speed/agility. He has been using a Vaper X4.0 with a Kane curve, 50 flex. He gets the USA Hockey Magazine and sees all the adds, so he's dazzled by getting an RSII or the CCM RBZ (not sure we'll be spending that much $$$).

Given his height he's close to needing an intermediate stick, but I don't want him to have to make that adjustment during the season. I was just curious if anyone has any thoughts, insights, or recommendations.
At that point I'd look towards a stiff junior or a whippy intermediate. I know Warrior makes a 50 flex Int but it may be too tall. Don't think I've ever seen a junior higher than a 50 though.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:56 PM
AIREAYE

Before actively considering an intermediate, I'd double check to see if his hands are large enough to wrap around the shaft. Make sure when he holds it, that the fingertips are at least barely touching the palm under his thumb.

Like ArrogantOwl said, there are plenty of options for whippier intermediates, but not many for stiffer JRs. If you are willing to spend the money on a top end stick, give the Warrior DT1 or Widow a try at 55 flex INT. Each of Bauer's top end sticks also come in a 60 flex option, as does the Reebok 20K.

If you would prefer to stay in the mid-range (which is still excellent), then try to find something like a Warrior Bandito or DT4 in a 55 flex, or a Bauer Nexus 600 in 60 or if you want to stick with it, a 4.0 in a 60 flex.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm 29 years old, 5'8 and 200 pounds and wish I would have bought the 55 flex Warrior intermediate over the 70 flex. Just saying.

I mean at 5' tall he's going to have to cut off 6-8" MORE stick than I do, and I chop off 4-5" from an intermediate. That 55 flex becomes about 90 flex in a hurry.

Just a thought but Base hockey offers junior flexes from 50-80 and intermediate from 45-85. Get one of those in a whacked out color scheme maybe?

Miken also makes sticks that have graduated flex and length so another one worth a look.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:15 PM
BigDuke6

I appreciate all the responses. I'm not going get him an intermediate stick until I absolutely have to. First and foremost there's the size difference he'll have to deal with, but also a cost difference. This kids is already in an adult helmet, his next pair of skates he'll be in an adult size, just crazy. There's a $50 swing going from a top end junior stick to an intermediate.

I use a Warrior stick and have been trying to steer him that way, or perhaps sticking with Bauer. These kids all want the RSII or RBZ, but I just don't know much about them and have never used an Easton or CCM stick.

However, he had to give me a month of 100% effort in practice and games to earn a new stick. His first week was steller, but last nights practice was mediocre. He can redeem himself tonight.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you don't mind, let me know how that works out (incentive for a new stick). Makes lots of sense from the standpoint of "I'm not buying you a $200 stick if you don't earn it" but is he playing for a stick or for love of the game?

Not critical at all, just curious how he sees it!

Old
10-18-2012, 02:25 PM
BigDuke6

Quote:
If you don't mind, let me know how that works out (incentive for a new stick). Makes lots of sense from the standpoint of "I'm not buying you a $200 stick if you don't earn it" but is he playing for a stick or for love of the game?

Not critical at all, just curious how he sees it!

He loves to play, loves to skate, every chance he can that's what he wants to do. However, when he decided he wanted to play travel the rules changed a bit. It is a huge time and money investment (driving 3 hours this Saturday for a game). Through preseason he had some excellent games, and he had some games where we drove for +2 hours for him to float around all game not doing much. My message to him was that we can do that on the in-house team at the rink 10 minutes from the house.

When he started saying he wanted a new stick, and what sticks he was interested in, I told him his effort hadn't been at a level where he needs a $200 stick. He's easily one of the fastest kids on his team, but you'd never know it. Skates his hardest when he wants to, etc.

So, I told him he has to earn it by giving me 100% effort for a month. When he asked why a month I explained that if he does it for a month it will be a habit by then. I told him if he goes all out every practice and game for a month I'll buy him whatever stick he wants (within reason).

The biggest thing I had to get him to understand was that I wasn't talking about being the best player (scoring goals, etc.), just doing the best he can, giving it his all. He's just one of those kids that when he turns it on the coaches and other parents are surprised becasue he doesn't do it all the time.

He's 10, what are you going to do.

Old
10-19-2012, 03:04 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
I'm 29 years old, 5'8 and 200 pounds and wish I would have bought the 55 flex Warrior intermediate over the 70 flex. Just saying.

I mean at 5' tall he's going to have to cut off 6-8" MORE stick than I do, and I chop off 4-5" from an intermediate. That 55 flex becomes about 90 flex in a hurry.

Just a thought but Base hockey offers junior flexes from 50-80 and intermediate from 45-85. Get one of those in a whacked out color scheme maybe?

Miken also makes sticks that have graduated flex and length so another one worth a look.
Yup there is no way a 10 yr old can flex an intermediate, even if he is 5ft. 110 lbs. Also I think it's a waste to get the very top grade, newest model composite. I saw on hockeymonkey an Easton RS for 100$, as compared to 200$ for the newer version!

Old
10-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
He loves to play, loves to skate, every chance he can that's what he wants to do. However, when he decided he wanted to play travel the rules changed a bit. It is a huge time and money investment (driving 3 hours this Saturday for a game). Through preseason he had some excellent games, and he had some games where we drove for +2 hours for him to float around all game not doing much. My message to him was that we can do that on the in-house team at the rink 10 minutes from the house.

When he started saying he wanted a new stick, and what sticks he was interested in, I told him his effort hadn't been at a level where he needs a $200 stick. He's easily one of the fastest kids on his team, but you'd never know it. Skates his hardest when he wants to, etc.

So, I told him he has to earn it by giving me 100% effort for a month. When he asked why a month I explained that if he does it for a month it will be a habit by then. I told him if he goes all out every practice and game for a month I'll buy him whatever stick he wants (within reason).

The biggest thing I had to get him to understand was that I wasn't talking about being the best player (scoring goals, etc.), just doing the best he can, giving it his all. He's just one of those kids that when he turns it on the coaches and other parents are surprised becasue he doesn't do it all the time.

He's 10, what are you going to do.
I like that. I've always stressed effort and attitude because those are in your control. I also like you're not being such a hard ass that even if he slacks once it blows it for him.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
Yup there is no way a 10 yr old can flex an intermediate, even if he is 5ft. 110 lbs. Also I think it's a waste to get the very top grade, newest model composite. I saw on hockeymonkey an Easton RS for 100$, as compared to 200$ for the newer version!
Howie Meeker used to say until you could do 35 pushups on their fingers, you won't have a wrist shot worth taking. He taught his kids to do mini slapshots instead.

Here's the video. Old school.

At 5' 110 pounds, he might be getting that strong, but still probably not intermediate strong.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

And if everyone watches that video, see how easily he can flex that wood stick? Find me an 85 flex stick off the rack that will bend from the midpoint to the bottom when you put it against your knee like that.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:00 AM
Man Bear Pig

Anyone tried out the rbz? I'm gonna check one out although the price scares me a bit.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Redstreak

I've been using a Bauer Vapor with the P91A Staal curve since I started playing. I was looking to switch to Warrior since their equivalent of that curve is a bit easier to come by, and was debating between the Lidstrom and the Kovalev. I like the idea of the square toe, but how different is the rest of the curve from the Kovalev? I'd try to check it out at a LHS, but nobody around me carries heel curves (mostly just Kanes, Iginlas, etc).

I've done some hunting around on google and it sounds like the Lidstrom has a bit more curve to it, but I just wanted to get people's opinions on them here about how different the two really are. Thanks for any help.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:51 AM
AIREAYE

They're similar in that both are heel curves. Like you mentioned the Lidstrom is noticeably deeper (more curve) while the Kovalev is shallower.

The Kovalev is the direct equivalent/clone of the P91A.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Malreg

Any opinions on the Sherwood T90? Or it's replacement, the Nexon 12?

The T90 is going for $130 in my area, and the Nexon 12 is $170.

Looking for something to replace the RS I just broke, but trying to avoid spending over $200.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:12 PM
ArrogantOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post
Any opinions on the Sherwood T90? Or it's replacement, the Nexon 12?

The T90 is going for $130 in my area, and the Nexon 12 is $170.

Looking for something to replace the RS I just broke, but trying to avoid spending over $200.
I hear the N12 is a wonderful buy and the T90 is an awesome workhorse stick, but because my store doesn't carry them I haven't gotten the ability to try one.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Ryan52

just bought an intermediate ak 70 flex. only been able to use it once, but i managed to pick up 4 assists. cant wait to get out to some shinny to play around with it instead of learning as i go in game because i can tell my shot needs some adjusting with it. can sauce the puck like never before though

Old
11-12-2012, 09:59 PM
RomersWorld*

Which stick should I get?

What do you guys think the is best stick for me(stick handling, wrist shot winger)? Price is a concern but not most important...

Easton Mako(2-piece) - $145 - Hall Curve (mid, open)
Warrior Dynasty - $109 - Draper Curve(Mid, open)
Sherwood Nexon N12 - $108 - Kane Curve (mid, closed)
Easton Mako M3 - $101 - Hall Curve (mid, open)
Bauer Nexus 600 - $99 - Backstrom Curve (mid/toe, open)
Miken MV-5 Pro - $80 - Hall Curve basically (mid, open)
Bauer Vapor X4.0 - $79 - Backstrom curve (mid/toe, open)
Warrior Mac-Daddy - $65 - Kovalev curve (heel, open)

All are 85 flex which is the only one I am interested in. I prefer a mid/toe curve the most but I am open to anything. I like the heel the least otherwise it would for sure be the $65 MacDaddy probably. However, I don't hate the curve so I am still considering it.

The two I am most serious about are the Miken MV-5 and the Sherwood Nexon N12. The Miken is saving about $120 from retail price and the Nexon is about $90 off retail price. I hear great things about the Nexon but I wonder about its durability. I also read good things about the Miken and people mentioning that it is good for a $180 stick...so how about the $80 price I am getting it at? Must be great at that price. I have been researching for a while and these look like the best deals.

What do you guys think? What would be your choice for me(stick handling, wrist shots, winger)? I am looking for the best deal/match for my skill set. I prefer to spend less but will spend more if it is a better deal. Or if you know of a great online deal you'd like to share...that'd be great too.

mod can merge this but it would be cool to leave open for a day or two since the forum isn't super active and the deals might expire.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:11 AM
AIREAYE

The thing about sticks though is that while you might identify yourself as a stickhandler/wrist shot type of guy, the other little things about sticks are too personal. Nobody on here can help you find the 'perfect' stick, or the stick 'for you'. We can try by pointing you in a particular direction though.

I suppose first off since you can grab some of these top-end sticks on discount, might as well take advantage and ignore the pricepoint M3, X 4.0 and Nexus 600. Assuming you're a decent player, you'll be able to notice and benefit from a top-end stick's performance enough to justify any price jump in this case.

If you prefer wristers, I would start by looking into any low-kick sticks, which means that the lower 1/3 or the hosel/blade area loads and releases faster than a mid kick for example. The N12 would fit comfortable in that category imo. The Dynasty, Mako, MV-5 and MacDaddy do not have pronounced low-kicks, they're more traditional if you will.

Don't know too much about the MacDaddy or MV-5, but my impressions have been positive and negative respectively; doesn't mean much though.

The Dynasty is a decent and sturdy stick. Comes in a stock 63" so any flex you order will feel slightly whippier due to the initial length. Reviews have been positive so far, but won't perform to the same degree as any of the other big-name top-end sticks.

You can find a ton of info and feedback on the N12.

I think the 2-piece is your most versatile. You can try different curves and different blade feels by buying different blades. If you don't like the Mako blade, try a Dynasty for example if you want a softer feel or an 11K for a stiffer blade etc.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It depends on what kind of flex/kick point you like and puck feel. I'm a wrist shot sniper winger and I like a stick with a lot of flex especially up top. Others like very little flex (low kick).

Right off the bat I'd say eliminate the Mako M3, Nexus 600, and Vapor 4.0. Those are mid-level sticks, not bad, but not in the same class. No experience with the Miken.

My two cents on the rest of them:

Mako 2-piece: Pretty standard tapered two piece, not bad at all, that's a pretty good price too. Can't go wrong but won't be the best balanced or necessarily highest performance.

Dynasty: Used this for a year, it's a good stick, nothing extremely remarkable about it. It's a hair blade heavy but not bad. Puck feel is great. Standard mid-low kick.

Nexon N12: Haven't used on ice but it's fairly well balanced and most people love them. Too stiff feeling for my tastes as I believe it's fairly low kick and stiffer through the rest of the shaft.

Mac Daddy: I believe this was the old True-1 Warrior, so similar to the Dolomite but with better balance. These blades are pretty pingy though. For the money it's solid but as a primary stick I'd rather use the Dynasty, Mako, or Nexon.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:08 PM
coz21
Skrillllllz

Just went back to one of my older sticks (Vaper XX P91 102) and feel like I've been getting more oomph on my shot and I'm not sure whether it's the flex, the weight, the curve or what. I had been using a KGB Kovalev 85. Any suggestions?

Old
11-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Damn a Vapor XX is old! That was my first composite stick. Those things looked so awesome with the black carbon fiber and the hologram logo.

The Vapor XX from what I remember was pretty close to a one-piece Warrior that pre-dated the Kronik (like a one-piece Dolomite). Not really made much anymore. They were also really stiff with a fairly low kick point from what I can recall.

I would look at the Vapor APX...different materials and engineering but a much better blade and they are pretty stiff with a somewhat low kick point.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:43 PM
coz21
Skrillllllz

eek. I'm not really in the upper range price wise. Anything closer to $100 range?

Closed Thread