HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

top 97 GTHL prospects

Old
07-17-2012, 10:24 PM
scout97

vCash: 500
top 97 GTHL prospects

Can someone give me a list of the top players to watch in the GTHL for this upcoming year

scout97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:32 PM
hockeyanalyst

Top 1997 Forward GTHL Prospects

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects
(Top 1997 Forward Prospects GTHL)

#16 -Mitchell Stephens—Forward—Toronto Marlboros
#27 -Dylan Strome—Forward—Toronto Marlboros
#87 -Mitch Marner—Forward—Don Mill Flyers
#54 -Nikita Korostelev—Forward—Toronto Jr. Canadiens
#87 -Jake Avidan—Forward—Toronto Red Wings
#13 -Nicolas Vlahos—Forward—Toronto Red Wings
#16 -Carmine Alberga—Forward—Toronto Jr. Canadiens
#12 -Jacob Hayhurst—Forward—Mississauga Rebels
#15 -Marcus Minichiello—Forward—Toronto Titans

Last edited by hockeyanalyst: 11-08-2012 at 11:08 PM.
hockeyanalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyanalyst View Post

The GTHL is very weak this year compared to previous years especially last year. Except for Stephens, Strome and maybe Korostelev I can't see these boys playing in the OHL next year. I would give Avidan a small chance as well as Noah Robinson from the Marlies as they are both big and strong enough with some good potential. Justin McCully from the Red Wings also has the size and talent but needs to toughen up.

Luvtowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Big names are missing here from this list... possible first rounders...

D:
Wilkie JRC
Saban Red Wings

F:
Rajic Rebels
Zeppieri Rebels
Clarke Red Wings
Eremita Titans

Racer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post

D:
Wilkie JRC
Saban Red Wings

F:
Rajic Rebels
Zeppieri Rebels
Clarke Red Wings
Eremita Titans
I think the only one of these who could be a 1st rd pick is Saban. I don't think the G will have more than 3 or 4 first rounders. Rajic + Clarke are too small to play as 16 yr olds in the O and not sure the others have the talent.

Old
11-09-2012, 03:55 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post

D:
Wilkie JRC
Saban Red Wings

F:
Rajic Rebels
Zeppieri Rebels
Clarke Red Wings
Eremita Titans
Zach Wilkie impresses me. Very well rounded D-man. Punishing hitter. I like his team-mate Noah Jordan as well. Big Center man.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Zach Wilkie impresses me. Very well rounded D-man. Punishing hitter. I like his team-mate Noah Jordan as well. Big Center man.
Jordan is not very tough for his size. So hard to gauge this Red Wing team, on paper they have many good players yet they are a lousy team. Very hard to watch all this talent stink the joint out on most nights. They should be in 2nd place behind the Marlies who are also chronic under achievers and very poorly coached.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:32 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
I think the only one of these who could be a 1st rd pick is Saban. I don't think the G will have more than 3 or 4 first rounders. Rajic + Clarke are too small to play as 16 yr olds in the O and not sure the others have the talent.
Not alot of the first round 97's are going to make the jump to the OHL next year and if they do the impact they have will be minimal. With the exception of a few guys Ive seen. Alot less of the 97's will make the jump than the 96's did this year. The deep 96 class that didnt make it this year will be pushing the 97's to make the team. The 97's are not nearly as deep. Kingston with Bennett and watson and Ikonen that line has been carrying that team. A line with 2 96 born kids. That wont happen next year. Before he was injured Nikita Korostelev was one player that was OHL ready. Korostelev could impact the OHL today. Konecny as well. A few of the highly touted Marlie kids, im not sold on them. Oakville, YSE and the SOO have some players there that can impact the OHL next year though.

Old
11-12-2012, 03:57 PM
wings5

Quote:
Not alot of the first round 97's are going to make the jump to the OHL next year and if they do the impact they have will be minimal. With the exception of a few guys Ive seen. Alot less of the 97's will make the jump than the 96's did this year. The deep 96 class that didnt make it this year will be pushing the 97's to make the team. The 97's are not nearly as deep. Kingston with Bennett and watson and Ikonen that line has been carrying that team. A line with 2 96 born kids. That wont happen next year. Before he was injured Nikita Korostelev was one player that was OHL ready. Korostelev could impact the OHL today. Konecny as well. A few of the highly touted Marlie kids, im not sold on them. Oakville, YSE and the SOO have some players there that can impact the OHL next year though.
Season is young many things can happen, players can improve over the season, grow in the season and offseason and train and gain strength and speed.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 04:25 PM
COMMONSENSE97
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyanalyst View Post

Mitchell Stephens, Dylan Strome and Hayhurst are probable first rounders, all play a great skilled game, with great vision. The others are good players, but fall into the catagory similar to many others in the GTHL. It would be hard to determine where they may end up , but to say 5th and 6th round would not be a stretch.

COMMONSENSE97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMONSENSE97 View Post
Mitchell Stephens, Dylan Strome and Hayhurst are probable first rounders, all play a great skilled game, with great vision. The others are good players, but fall into the catagory similar to many others in the GTHL. It would be hard to determine where they may end up , but to say 5th and 6th round would not be a stretch.
Stephens + Strome are high 1st rounders. Hayhurst? You must be kidding ? I don't think many Rebels will go in the top 50.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:35 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Stephens + Strome are high 1st rounders. Hayhurst? You must be kidding ? I don't think many Rebels will go in the top 50.
I agree with you.

May only see 5-6 GTHL players in the first round this year. Thats rare.

Last year there were I think 6 GTHL players in the top 10?

chewerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I agree with you.

May only see 5-6 GTHL players in the first round this year. Thats rare.

Last year there were I think 6 GTHL players in the top 10?
Can't see 5 or 6 in 1st rd. My top players in GTHL are: Strome, Stephens, Korostolev, take your pick as they are all top 10 picks. Next picks are top 2 rounds: DeFarias, Robinson. Then you have some very skilled players who are small so who knows, Rajic, Marner and Fregona. Mitch Webb can also make it to the top 2 rds.

There are a few boys on the Red Wings who could make the top 2 rds but their play this year has been so inconsistant that it would almost be on size and reputation.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:09 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Can't see 5 or 6 in 1st rd. My top players in GTHL are: Strome, Stephens, Korostolev, take your pick as they are all top 10 picks. Next picks are top 2 rounds: DeFarias, Robinson. Then you have some very skilled players who are small so who knows, Rajic, Marner and Fregona. Mitch Webb can also make it to the top 2 rds.

There are a few boys on the Red Wings who could make the top 2 rds but their play this year has been so inconsistant that it would almost be on size and reputation.
What do u think of David Zeppieri and Rocky Kaura of the Rebels? Interesting prospects. I also like Rajic and Marner. Some people think Marner will not struggle at all in the OHL. Marner is a bit of a wild card, could go higher than most think and could go lower.

Old
12-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Ottawa99

Quote:

Long time follower-rookie poster. Luvtowatch, mapleleaf979 and chewerjones- I really enjoy your posts and insight on a number of this years' prospects. I'm with you on the top 3 in the GTHL providing Korostolev gains his eligibility. From my perspective it's a defencemen rich draft across the province and DeFarias is a part of that high caliber mix for sure. Teams will definitely have to do their homework this year but I can't see a scenario where he goes any later than mid second round with every possibility of sneaking into the first. As in other years, the key this year will be the US kids and their committal-OHL or NCAA that will impact some of these kids and their draft order.
I too agree with Luvtowatch that the M. Webb twin has a shot at second round. At 6'2 he is a nice skater, high compete and Making the most of playing with arguably one of the top 5 kids in the draft in Strome.
Marner takes a hit because he is so small, however, both he and Rajic see the ice very well and have exceptional hands. I have no doubt teams will take a shot at these two albeit most likely after the first 3 rounds or so as size still has a place in the OHL.

Ottawa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:01 AM
COMMONSENSE97
Rookie User

I agree with your assessment of Rajic and Marner.Both are very skilled players. I also think we can add players like Fergona,Clark, Eremita and Hayhurst to this list. All six of these players have a great compete level, thay see the ice very well and are not afraid to get into the grind with the heavies of the leauge.Size might be an issue in the first two rounds for these players, but It will be interesting to see what come out of it.

COMMONSENSE97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
What do u think of David Zeppieri and Rocky Kaura of the Rebels? Interesting prospects. I also like Rajic and Marner. Some people think Marner will not struggle at all in the OHL. Marner is a bit of a wild card, could go higher than most think and could go lower.
Kaura has never jumped out at me so I don't have a real opinion there. Zeppieri should go in the top 50. I loved the way he played as a bantam last year when he was called up to play with the 96 team. I have spoken to a few OHL scouts who like Marner. Don't be surprised if he goes high in the 2nd rd. He has grown some but needs to fill out.

Old
12-10-2012, 11:58 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Kaura has never jumped out at me so I don't have a real opinion there. Zeppieri should go in the top 50. I loved the way he played as a bantam last year when he was called up to play with the 96 team. I have spoken to a few OHL scouts who like Marner. Don't be surprised if he goes high in the 2nd rd. He has grown some but needs to fill out.
I like Marner too, but Ill admit I like 3-4 Don Mills guys more moving forward. Marner will probably have prove himself in Junior A first. Marner is one of the best conditioned players in the GTHL, this gives him an advantage now, but its not applicable in the OHL. Marner has quick acceleration but lacks top end speed from my view. I think its more about his endurance being able to pull away from guys as oppose to his top end speed. One interesting player for me on Don Mills is Isaak Iacobucci #61. 6-1 160. Ive seen glimpses of incredible acceleration and speed and puck skills. Id like to see what he can do in the Marlies Tournament. Iacobucci needs more polishing but I think he is an interesting prospect. #4 Dunda is growing on me too. Big guys can be a tad inconsistent like Hargraves and Bourne were last year. In my view, Dunda is a better prospect for the OHL than Noah Jordan. Id like to see Dunda hit a bit more but I like his play recently. I like Dunda's feet for a big kid. I also like Oakden #9, Robinson #8, #3 Mcconnach, #27 Schneider.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 12-10-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old
12-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
I like Marner too, but Ill admit I like 3-4 Don Mills guys more moving forward. Marner will probably have prove himself in Junior A first. Marner is one of the best conditioned players in the GTHL, this gives him an advantage now, but its not applicable in the OHL. Marner has quick acceleration but lacks top end speed from my view. I think its more about his endurance being able to pull away from guys as oppose to his top end speed. One interesting player for me on Don Mills is Isaak Iacobucci #61. 6-1 160. Ive seen glimpses of incredible acceleration and speed and puck skills. Id like to see what he can do in the Marlies Tournament. Iacobucci needs more polishing but I think he is an interesting prospect. #4 Dunda is growing on me too. Big guys can be a tad inconsistent like Hargraves and Bourne were last year. In my view, Dunda is a better prospect for the OHL than Noah Jordan. Id like to see Dunda hit a bit more but I like his play recently. I like Dunda's feet for a big kid. I also like Oakden #9, Robinson #8, #3 Mcconnach, #27 Schneider.
I think you are handicapping for future which is 5th rd on. This is tough! That is real scouting. It's really hard to tell with Don Mills because some boys look good compared to a bunch of them that are really glorified AA players.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:26 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I think you are handicapping for future which is 5th rd on. This is tough! That is real scouting. It's really hard to tell with Don Mills because some boys look good compared to a bunch of them that are really glorified AA players.
Ive been watching Don Mills lately. Where do u think most teams have Dunda slotted in? He is growing on me. I imagine him being a 2-3 rd rounder by most. I will not be surprised to watch him shoot up the rankings as high as a late first, he has alot of potential. I can see some teams loving him and some not so much. He is very willing to stand in front of the net with his big frame on the PP, tough to move. In the offensive zone he lives in front of the net distracting and drawing attention to himself. I like his hands banging in rebounds and he has a solid, heavy wrist shot. Some have knocked his feet, I see them getting better and I think he moves well for a big man. His style of play is similar to an OHL game. #25 Stiliadis and #3 McConnach is impressing me more and more from the back end. #44 Radukov(D)is a 98 that looks impressive and is not out of place playing up a year. DMF has a few interesting players.

Old
01-02-2013, 08:01 PM
mapleleaf979

Austin Clapham #91 Mississauga Rebels. Late first round or early second round more likely. His game is evolving with every game, gets better and better. He is a gamer, his effort is fantastic, he battles. He is so responsible in the defensive end. He has a nice point shot. Smooth nice skater. Good size 6-1 190. He was the Rebels MVP at the recent Marlie Classic Tourney from my view. I believe Clapham can make the OHL next year and fit it. He is one reason that I believe the Rebels will win the Kraft Cup and a very good chance they can with the GTHL playoff championship.

Old
01-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Pulp Fiction
RIP Wade Belak

Quote:
Ive been watching Don Mills lately. Where do u think most teams have Dunda slotted in? He is growing on me. I imagine him being a 2-3 rd rounder by most. I will not be surprised to watch him shoot up the rankings as high as a late first, he has alot of potential. I can see some teams loving him and some not so much. He is very willing to stand in front of the net with his big frame on the PP, tough to move. In the offensive zone he lives in front of the net distracting and drawing attention to himself. I like his hands banging in rebounds and he has a solid, heavy wrist shot. Some have knocked his feet, I see them getting better and I think he moves well for a big man. His style of play is similar to an OHL game. #25 Stiliadis and #3 McConnach is impressing me more and more from the back end. #44 Radukov(D)is a 98 that looks impressive and is not out of place playing up a year. DMF has a few interesting players.
IMO Dunda isn't that great. Just a very, very big body.

Seen the Flyers play 4-5 times this year, as well as most of the other big teams in the G this year, and Marner has impressed me the most. Absolutely disgusting hands. Great vision, good speed. Clearly knows the game well. Korostolev is probably my #2 from the G. To bad about his injuries, I really hope it doesn't hamper his shot, that's his best asset.

Out of Wilkie and Saban, I think Wilkie is better, though he has the tendencies to take some dumb penalties. Saban is bigger but doesn't seem to be as physical as Wilkie, either.

Pulp Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Austin Clapham #91 Mississauga Rebels. Late first round or early second round more likely. His game is evolving with every game, gets better and better. He is a gamer, his effort is fantastic, he battles. He is so responsible in the defensive end. He has a nice point shot. Smooth nice skater. Good size 6-1 190. He was the Rebels MVP at the recent Marlie Classic Tourney from my view. I believe Clapham can make the OHL next year and fit it. He is one reason that I believe the Rebels will win the Kraft Cup and a very good chance they can with the GTHL playoff championship.
Such an enigma! Big, good skater, good shot, but [questionable hockey IQ] I have seen in years with the ability that he has. Takes terrible penalties at the worst times. His judgement sucks! He will still probably be the first Rebel drafted but not if I was the GM.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 01-08-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 10:12 AM
BigBuck

Quote:
Such an enigma! Big, good skater, good shot, but [questionable hockey IQ] I have seen in years with the ability that he has. Takes terrible penalties at the worst times. His judgement sucks! He will still probably be the first Rebel drafted but not if I was the GM.
These kids are 15 years old having fun playing hockey and shouldn't have to hear or read stuff like this.Have to question your judgement with posts like this.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 01-08-2013 at 04:10 PM.
BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
These kids are 15 years old having fun playing hockey and shouldn't have to hear or read stuff like this.Have to question your judgement with posts like this.
I agree I should have chosen my words more carefully. That said though, I have watched him play for years and while he has matured some he still takes bad penalties. Maybe he doesn't get suspended on a regular basis as he used to, but still cost his team against Whitby in an earlybird and got benched for a period and the only time the Rebels have beaten the Marlies this year he wasn't there.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 01-08-2013 at 04:09 PM.