HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Aaron Ekblad - Barrie Colts, OHL (2014 Draft)

Old
11-04-2012, 05:54 PM
bruinsfan46

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers7 View Post
Can anyone give an accurate player comparison? Is he a Lidstrom-Pietranglo type who relies on smarts? Or more of a Weber who relies on his strength?
In a perfect world, Holmgren trades up for this kid and drafts him in Philly. Seems to be an unreal player, a shame I can't watch him much.
More of a guy who uses great physical tools than high level smarts. I think he's got Rob Blake type potential but he needs to start hitting like Blake did.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:55 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers7 View Post
Can anyone give an accurate player comparison? Is he a Lidstrom-Pietranglo type who relies on smarts? Or more of a Weber who relies on his strength?
In a perfect world, Holmgren trades up for this kid and drafts him in Philly. Seems to be an unreal player, a shame I can't watch him much.
Right there, but he uses his smarts and strength. Maybe more so his strength but his smarts is there.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 06:00 PM
BeersHockey

Can anyone tell me why Ekblad isn't playing in the Super Series? I may be mistaken, but I didn't see his name on any of the rosters.

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:08 PM
casg11

His stick is unnecessarily too long

casg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:19 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
Can anyone tell me why Ekblad isn't playing in the Super Series? I may be mistaken, but I didn't see his name on any of the rosters.
meant to ask the same thing a couple days ago... dont really understand because he has respectable point totals and +/- compared to everyone else who was invited so i would think he should of gotten an invite, only thing i could think of is they wanna focus on some older d men for potential world junior spots which would not be available for the 16 yr old no matter how well he does...

GuillaumeLetsundress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

I know it's early, but do you guys have any idea where he's projected to be drafted in 2014? I haven't really been looking into it all that much.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:55 PM
FrankFountain
Legendary Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrappingYoungChad View Post
I know it's early, but do you guys have any idea where he's projected to be drafted in 2014? I haven't really been looking into it all that much.
Current favorite for 1st overall.

FrankFountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Hansen 36
mfw snitch

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLafontaine View Post
Current favorite for 2nd overall.
Favourite for 1st is Samson Reinhart, Ekblad could compete strongly though if his offensive production continues to improve at this rate.

Hansen 36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:20 AM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Favourite for 1st is Samson Reinhart, Ekblad could compete strongly though if his offensive production continues to improve at this rate.
I'm of the opinion Ekblad is a pretty decent favourite but others agree on Reinhart so who knows.

As for the Subway Series Ekblad is probably good enough to play this year but his very young age and the OHL's tremendous defense depth hurts him. He certainly could have played for the QMJHL

Last edited by bruinsfan46: 11-09-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old
11-09-2012, 12:35 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
West coast bias is biased, Reinhart is great but he's a second year forward who was just below a PPG as a rookie and is still below as a sophomore. Doesn't score enough to be challenging a beast like Ekblad.
Reinhart also plays on a team that pretty much doesn't score so looking at his numbers is pointless. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...017942013.html

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:50 AM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Reinhart also plays on a team that pretty much doesn't score so looking at his numbers is pointless. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...017942013.html
Is Reinhart a RNH/MacKinnon level talent who doesn't have the production because of inadequate linemates? Because Ekblad is so good Reinhart has to be at least on that level to be the favourite for number one. If anyone takes a run at Ekblad it may have to be Ho-Sang, kid's upside is unreal he's so fast with tremendous hands. Draft is a long way off but today the favourite for first is Ekblad. Reinhart is definitely on a piss poor offensive team though.

Last edited by bruinsfan46: 11-09-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old
11-09-2012, 01:16 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Is Reinhart a RNH/MacKinnon level talent who doesn't have the production because of inadequate linemates? Because Ekblad is so good Reinhart has to be at least on that level to be the favourite for number one. If anyone takes a run at Ekblad it may have to be Ho-Sang, kid's upside is unreal he's so fast with tremendous hands. Draft is a long way off but today the favourite for first is Ekblad. Reinhart is definitely on a piss poor offensive team though.
I really like Ekblad's upside but I'm sorry but I would have to disagree with you. As for now Reinhart will be the projected #1, fastastic upside. He can dictate a game with his strong offensive play, he is a really strong two way player. And you can't rely on stats to tell the full story. Ekblad, Dal Colle, DeAngelo, Ritchie, Ho-sang and McCann are not far behind.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 01:20 AM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I really like Ekblad's upside but I'm sorry but I would have to disagree with you. As for now Reinhart will be the projected #1, fastastic upside. He can dictate a game with his strong offensive play, he is a really strong two way player. And you can't rely on stats to tell the full story. Ekblad, Dal Colle, DeAngelo, Ritchie, Ho-sang and McCann are not far behind.
Interesting, I knew Reinhart was highly regarded but I didn't think many people thought he was above Ekblad but it appears multiple do. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old
11-09-2012, 03:02 AM
Hansen 36
mfw snitch

vCash: 499
Quote:
Interesting, I knew Reinhart was highly regarded but I didn't think many people thought he was above Ekblad but it appears multiple do. Maybe I'm wrong.
Yeah, trust me, I'm a huge Ekblad fan, but Reinhart is just a little step ahead of him, also I feel that a forward will usually be the 1st selection, as defensemen take more time to develop and some things are hard to predict.

Ekblad will still be a star one day though, total beast.

Hansen 36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 01:11 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Ekblad is definitely in the conversion but yeah Reinhart is a small pace ahead. Reinhart dominated the U18 this past summer with that strong 95 team. Very smart player. 2014 will be a good draft class for the OHL.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Vasilevski
I ****** Lindback

Quote:
I'm of the opinion Ekblad is a pretty decent favourite but others agree on Reinhart so who knows.

As for the Subway Series Ekblad is probably good enough to play this year but his very young age and the OHL's tremendous defense depth hurts him. He certainly could have played for the QMJHL
I'm with you.
For me Ekblad is the number 1 player for 2014, still 2 years so who knows what will happen.

Vasilevski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 09:18 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

It's definitely close between the two

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Exactly 3 of their top 7 scorers are draft eligible in 14 and one more is 13 eligible.

Sam and Aaron are the front runners for the top spot in 14 but it's too early to tel right now IMO.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2012, 10:45 PM
shello
@WShello9

One of the biggest Ekblad supporters out there, he's an exceptional player, but I think Reinhart goes first just by being a forward. Only way I see him going first even if it's not a huge gap is if the team picking has a dying need for defense.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:17 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
One of the biggest Ekblad supporters out there, he's an exceptional player, but I think Reinhart goes first just by being a forward. Only way I see him going first even if it's not a huge gap is if the team picking has a dying need for defense.
Ekblad has maintained his impressive performance - but as great as he is, i don't see anything about him that would land him as the best '96 in the draft - Reinhart is unbelievably skilled, doing brilliantly on a horrifically bad team, and has the benefit of being a forward. ho-sang is starting to pull it together and will be highly ranked (albeit, not at reinhart's level), etc.

i'm impressed by ekblad a lot - but i'd be really surprised if he was taken #1 in '14.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:07 PM
HalbertGil*
crab whom enjoy

How is he doing?

HalbertGil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:42 PM
amyles
We The North

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalbertGil View Post
How is he doing?
He just returned from an injury and has played amazing in both games. His puck movement has seemed to improve since he came into the OHL. He is very calm in his own end and always seems to make the right decision under pressure. His defensive game has always been stellar but one thing that I think he could improve on is that he could be a little more physical. Once he does that, he will really be a monster out there.

amyles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Paulinho
:baghead:

Send a message via Yahoo to Paulinho
How does Ekblad compare to Seth Jones?

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:02 PM
amyles
We The North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
How does Ekblad compare to Seth Jones?
I haven't watched Jones play very much but I think Seth's better at rushing the puck up the ice and his offensive game is stronger than Ekblad's. Ekblad's strength is his great defensive game but his offensive game is definitely improving.

amyles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:35 PM
jfb392

Nice article on Ekblad.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote