HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

THN: Brampton Battalion relocation proves Toronto isn't a hockey town

Old
11-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Ari91

vCash: 500
This article has taught me two things:

1. The author doesn't know geography - Brampton is not in Toronto.

2. Apparently the NHL isn't hockey. Toronto boasts the largest revenue and profits in the NHL and they are the most valuable team in the entire NHL....but now I'm confused, if the NHL isn't hockey...someone needs to tell me what I should call it.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:10 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
As a Canadian of South-Asian descent, we love hockey, we just suck at it.
A very large number of second or later generation Canadians of Asian descent (all of Asia) love hockey. You're seeing more black Canadians adopting the sport too, which is great because it's such an integral part of Canadian culture. However, many first generation immigrants and people who stay in their ethnic circles (including Europeans) don't tend to embrace hockey and that's a lot of what you see in Brampton. There isn't anything wrong with this, but it doesn't make for a situation that is good for a hockey team.

Regardless, a team 45 minutes away from Toronto on the outskirts of the GTA isn't a top priority for Torontonians and even most people in the closer suburbs. Mississauga is closer and has a good following of people from the west-end, Barrie and many junior A teams reside successfully in the northern area and north of the GTA and the Gens, Pickering Panthers and Whitby Fury all play in the less populated east-end. I just don't understand how this writer thinks Toronto isn't a hockey town.

So here are a list of Junior A and above teams in the GTA:

Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL)
Toronto Marlies (AHL)
Brampton Battalion (OHL) - leaving
Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)
Oshawa Generals (OHL)
Barrie Colts (OHL)
Whitby Fury (Junior A)
Pickering Panthers (Junior A)
Aurora Tigers (Junior A)
Newmarket Hurricanes (Junior A)
Mississauga Chargers (Junior A)
Toronto Jr. Canadiens (Junior A)
Stouffville Spirit (Junior A)
St. Michael's Buzzards (Junior A)
North York Rangers (Junior A)
Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (Junior A)
Burlington Cougars (Junior A)
Oakville Blades (Junior A)
Milton Icehawks (Junior A)

And if expanded to the Golden Horseshoe, you could also include:

Guelph Storm (OHL)
Niagara Ice Dogs (OHL)
Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
Peterborough Petes (OHL)
Orangeville Flyers (Junior A)
Lindsay Huskies (Junior A)
Georgetown Raiders (Junior A)

Not a bad number of teams within around an hour drive from Toronto (excluding Hamilton and CIS teams). For a non-hockey town this is pretty impressive, IMO.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:13 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
This article has taught me two things:

1. The author doesn't know geography - Brampton is not in Toronto.

2. Apparently the NHL isn't hockey. Toronto boasts the largest revenue and profits in the NHL and they are the most valuable team in the entire NHL....but now I'm confused, if the NHL isn't hockey...someone needs to tell me what I should call it.
Many people consider the GTA to be Toronto. He's pretty dull if he actually believes what he wrote though. Hockey is easily #1 here.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:15 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Judging by how far a select few posters are going in trying to believe Toronto isn't a hockey city; the qualifications have now discredited every city in the world. This just in; there are no hockey cities.

Also; to stop the stupidity: The GTA is NOT a city or town. Buy a map; *******.

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:19 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
A very large number of second or later generation Canadians of Asian descent (all of Asia) love hockey. You're seeing more black Canadians adopting the sport too, which is great because it's such an integral part of Canadian culture. However, many first generation immigrants and people who stay in their ethnic circles (including Europeans) don't tend to embrace hockey and that's a lot of what you see in Brampton. There isn't anything wrong with this, but it doesn't make for a situation that is good for a hockey team.

Regardless, a team 45 minutes away from Toronto on the outskirts of the GTA isn't a top priority for Torontonians and even most people in the closer suburbs. Mississauga is closer and has a good following of people from the west-end, Barrie and many junior A teams reside successfully in the northern area and north of the GTA and the Gens, Pickering Panthers and Whitby Fury all play in the less populated east-end. I just don't understand how this writer thinks Toronto isn't a hockey town.

Toronto Marlies (AHL)
Oshawa Generals (OHL)
Barrie Colts (OHL)
Whitby Fury (Junior A)
Aurora Tigers (Junior A)

Guelph Storm (OHL)
Niagara Ice Dogs (OHL)
Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
Peterborough Petes (OHL)

Not a bad number of teams within around an hour drive from Toronto (excluding Hamilton and CIS teams). For a non-hockey town this is pretty impressive, IMO.
/thread

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Many people consider the GTA to be Toronto. He's pretty dull if he actually believes what he wrote though. Hockey is easily #1 here.
Why not just say Newark is part of New York City while we're at it? It seems like the article was more focused on talking about Toronto not being a hockey town than it was on the Batallion relocating. Thebasis for his article is using a team that isn't actually from Toronto - what a moron

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:34 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Minor hockey is a different ball game.

And PS...forgot the Marlies . Point still stands, when it comes to Major Junior, the AHL, or any paid attendance league that isnt the Leafs the fans just arent there.
From the post I quoted, I didn't feel I had to mention the Marlies. I felt it more effective to talk about the OHL, OJHL and GTHL teams that DO happen to all do well. I almost left the Leafs out of the post, which the support towards them goes without saying. But you keep on laughing.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:43 PM
DoubleDose86

I'd love to say Toronto is a hockey town..but most people I know cheer for the Leafs because there actually from here, or they hate the leafs because of so much coverage by everyone else...meanwhile most of them wont even turn on a game, or be able to name a single player (some still name sundin)

DoubleDose86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:44 PM
iPunch
#StandWithOttawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
THN has a point, living in Toronto its hard to even find alot of actual leaf fans.

Seriously, you can go up to people ask them if they like the leafs, theyll either say yes or "they suck". atleast 80% of the ones that say yes, you could ask any simple question about the team not involving Phaneuf or Kessel that someone who is actually a fan that follows the Leafs would know, and they'll have no clue.

There's alot of pretenders in toronto who will buy merchandise just to have something to "rep". There's a reason most people at Leaf games don't even look interested or like they know much about the Leafs - because they dont lol, they're just there because they get tickets.
Former bartender downtown here, laughing at this post.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:16 PM
CanuckLuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
So the GTA fan base is expected to support...

1 NHL Team (Which makes about 50% of the NHL's income)
1 AHL Team
Way too many Major Jr.
And a handful of OHL teams?

With none ever slipping through the cracks?
Correct!

Meanwhile in Phoenix....

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Puckclektr

Those that say Toronto is a leaf town obviously do not live here. Toronto is an NHL town. We are not all leaf fans. I would say( playoff bandwagon jumpers aside) Toronto is at least 25% non leaf NHL fans. Many people don't care about the leafs until playoffs and are not considered true hockey fans IMO. Of that 25%. They are a mix of wings, Habs, oilers, penguins, bruins, flyers, hawks, etc. one reason why I think we need another NHL team here.

Puckclektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:42 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

When will the move be official ? Like when will the OHL approve it ?

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Just one piece of info.

Barrie is not in the GTA, but people in Brock and Georgina Townships,
would find it easier to travel there and would consider the Colts a home team.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
So the GTA fan base is expected to support...

1 NHL Team (Which makes about 50% of the NHL's income)
1 AHL Team
Way too many Major Jr.
And a handful of OHL teams?

With none ever slipping through the cracks?
Well, what if you thought about it this way. 8% of the Canadian population lives in Toronto proper, over 18% in the GTA. Theoretically, if hockey love was "uniformly ubiquitous" (don't think that's quite redundant) across Canada, Toronto/GTA "should" be able to support between 8-18% of ALL Canadian hockey from the NHL level down to the OHL/Major Jr. Seems to me that 18 teams total between those leagues is "under-representation", statistically/proportionally speaking, although barely depending on the level. 8-18% of 7 Canadian NHL teams is still basically just 1 team, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckclektr View Post
Those that say Toronto is a leaf town obviously do not live here. Toronto is an NHL town. We are not all leaf fans. I would say( playoff bandwagon jumpers aside) Toronto is at least 25% non leaf NHL fans. Many people don't care about the leafs until playoffs and are not considered true hockey fans IMO. Of that 25%. They are a mix of wings, Habs, oilers, penguins, bruins, flyers, hawks, etc. one reason why I think we need another NHL team here.
75% support in such a large, diverse, international city with very fluid population movement/migration is actually pretty good, imo.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Puckclektr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well, what if you thought about it this way. 8% of the Canadian population lives in Toronto proper, over 18% in the GTA. Theoretically, if hockey love was "uniformly ubiquitous" (don't think that's quite redundant) across Canada, Toronto/GTA "should" be able to support between 8-18% of ALL Canadian hockey from the NHL level down to the OHL/Major Jr. Seems to me that 18 teams total between those leagues is "under-representation", statistically/proportionally speaking, although barely depending on the level. 8-18% of 7 Canadian NHL teams is still basically just 1 team, for example.

75% support in such a large, diverse, international city with very fluid population movement/migration is actually pretty good, imo.
I meant that of all the NHL fans in Toronto 75% are leaf fans and the othe 25% is a mix

Old
11-09-2012, 08:51 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Brampton is in the GTA. (Greater Toronto Area)

St. Mike's had to move from Toronto to Mississauga (Which is also in the GTA) and they're still second last in attendance, only ahead of Brampton.

Don Cherry's Mississauga Ice Dogs had to leave.

The Roadrunners lasted 1 season in Toronto.

The Marlies attendance has been lousy since returning to Toronto a few years ago.
There is a simple explanation. The Toronto Maple Leafs. How many junior teams survive in big cities with NHL teams? It's not a large number.

There are four teams in the entire CHL that exist in NHL markets.

Vancouver Giants, Calgary Hitman, Edmonton Oil Kings and the Ottawa 67's.

None of those teams have AHL, NHL, CFL, MLB teams all in the same city. They also don't have the second AHL, CFL, CHL, NHL within driving distances. It doesn't take a genius to figure this one out. Hell, the very fact that Brampton and Mississauga have CHL teams probably hurts them both. Watch the Steelheads attendance rise significantly.

And the Marlies are well above the AHL average for attendance currently and have risen in attendance every year since being in Toronto. It takes time to build a following, especially in a city with so many sports offerings.

Plus Brampton and Mississauga are not Toronto. The GTA is different from Toronto itself. It's like saying that even though you live in Boston, you're actually a New York resident. They are part of the same megalopolis so it must be that...

But even if the twisted logic somehow held up, the Battalion leaving are not indicative of Toronto not being a hockey town. That's moronic logic.

Toronto has the largest minor hockey league in the entire world in the GTHL. They have 40 000 players registering every year.

Toronto not being a hockey town is like saying Nashville isn't the home of country music. It's not true.

Last edited by spiny norman: 11-09-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: not needed
theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:54 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:

Toronto Marlies (AHL)
Oshawa Generals (OHL)
Barrie Colts (OHL)
Whitby Fury (Junior A)
Aurora Tigers (Junior A)

Guelph Storm (OHL)
Niagara Ice Dogs (OHL)
Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
Peterborough Petes (OHL)

Toss in the Marlies, Bulldogs, Sabres (because we all know that they get a huge contingent of Leaf fans every game) and it begins to show why a junior team might struggle just a tiny bit to find fans.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckclektr View Post
I meant that of all the NHL fans in Toronto 75% are leaf fans and the othe 25% is a mix
I can agree, but I will also say that if the Leafs have success, that
25% will whittle down.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:13 AM
topshelf15

Quote:

Toronto Marlies (AHL)
Oshawa Generals (OHL)
Barrie Colts (OHL)
Whitby Fury (Junior A)
Aurora Tigers (Junior A)

Guelph Storm (OHL)
Niagara Ice Dogs (OHL)
Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
Peterborough Petes (OHL)

Yep its pretty saturated market in the GTA for junior hockey ,pretty tough to make your mark when you have such a high roster turnover ,as with most junior teams.Add to this the huge amount of competition and you can see why most dont do much

topshelf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:38 AM
birddog*

GTHL is the largest minor hockey league in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater..._Hockey_League

The ASHL is the largest adult league in the world with over 70% of it's teams in the Toronto area. Some of the league, and there are more than one like this in the Toronto area, are over 300 teams.

OP -- you need to look at the demographic of Brampton before talking out of your butt.

Here's a list of NHL'ers from the GTA

Josh Bailey
Bryan Bickell
Rick Nash
Tyler Seguin
Manny Malhotra
Matt Stajan
John Tavares
Chris Campoli
Brad Boyes
Joel Ward
Matt Moulson
John Mitchell
Jay Harrison
Scott Glennie
Shawn Thornton
Corey Perry
Mike Fisher
Shane O'Brien
Theo Peckham
Mike Cammalleri
Wayne Simmonds
Devante Smith-Pelly
Dominic Moore
Cody Hodgson
Jeff Skinner
Trevor Daley
John Madden
Chris Kelly
Andrew Cogliano
Christopher Tanev
Mark Giordano
Chris Stewart
Brendan Smith
P.K. Subban
Jason Spezza
Daniel Winnik
Peter Holland
Carlo Colaiacovo
Stephen Weiss
Cal O'Reilly
Raffi Torres
David Clarkson
Jamal Mayers
James Neal
Steve Eminger
Brian Elliott
Steve Mason

You can add more guys that weren't born in the GTA but moved here to play their minor hockey in the GTHL. Even still there's over 2 full rosters in the above list. Almost 7% of the NHL. Considering the population of Canada -- even less the GTA, 10 million, competes with countries like Russia and the US with pops of 300 million. Add in the rest of the world and it's impressive. Ontario as a whole supplies a good portion of NHL players.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:41 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
First, Brampton is not Toronto. Second, the population of Brampton these days is largely made up of people from non-hockey cultures. Third, their rink was in a lousy location for traffic.
Bramton is in the GTA.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 09:48 AM
dubey
Cookie Powered

Quote:

Toronto Marlies (AHL)
Oshawa Generals (OHL)
Barrie Colts (OHL)
Whitby Fury (Junior A)
Aurora Tigers (Junior A)

Guelph Storm (OHL)
Niagara Ice Dogs (OHL)
Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
Peterborough Petes (OHL)

LOL

Not bad at all

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Rocko604

Memroial Cup a Flop Everywhere but the box office.
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...he-box-office/

Quote:
MISSISSAUGA, Ont. — Gerard Gallant tried to choose his words carefully.

It is not that Mississauga did a poor job of hosting the Memorial Cup. Far from it, said the head coach of the Saint John Sea Dogs. The games were well-attended. The accommodations were top-notch. Everything about the 10-day tournament was nicely organized.

It is just that, well, how does Gallant put it?

“Once you leave the hotel, you wouldn’t know there’s a Memorial Cup,” he said of being in Mississauga. “We were walking around the city the other day and a few people asked what’s going on. When we told them, some of them had no idea what we were talking about.”
Sums up the lack of attention the Memorial Cup got rather well. Although I thought the coverage and attention the tournament got in Vancouver was great, and the crowd's reflected it: Highest attended tournament ever.

To say Toronto (or GTA for arguments sake) may have some merit, but it depends which way you look at it.

1) You can look at it from a support perspective, and how Major Junior or AHL teams are being supported. Toronto/GTA doesn't live up to this definition then, given the attendance in recent years of Brampton, Mississauga and Marlies games.

2) You can look at the list Smitty10 posted, and see the game is being played at high levels across the region. You can't argue with that.

The Leafs are the be all, end all in the city, but I can't say they're not a hockey town with the amount that's being played in the area.

Last edited by Rocko604: 11-09-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Rocko604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
It wasn't meant in a derogatory manner at all, merely as an observation that the population of Brampton is predominantly from cultures that have nothing to do with hockey. Twenty or thirty years ago the same couldn't be said but it definitely can now.
There are plenty of non white hockey fans in the GTA who come from first generation immigrant families, and there are plenty of OHL teams that are located in predominantly white towns who choose to relocte.

With so many entertainment options in a city like the GTA, the OHL isn't exactly on the top of the list even for a hardcore fan like myself.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Puckclektr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
There is a simple explanation. The Toronto Maple Leafs. How many junior teams survive in big cities with NHL teams? It's not a large number.

There are four teams in the entire CHL that exist in NHL markets.

Vancouver Giants, Calgary Hitman, Edmonton Oil Kings and the Ottawa 67's.

None of those teams have AHL, NHL, CFL, MLB teams all in the same city. They also don't have the second AHL, CFL, CHL, NHL within driving distances. It doesn't take a genius to figure this one out. Hell, the very fact that Brampton and Mississauga have CHL teams probably hurts them both. Watch the Steelheads attendance rise significantly.

And the Marlies are well above the AHL average for attendance currently and have risen in attendance every year since being in Toronto. It takes time to build a following, especially in a city with so many sports offerings.

Plus Brampton and Mississauga are not Toronto. The GTA is different from Toronto itself. It's like saying that even though you live in Boston, you're actually a New York resident. They are part of the same megalopolis so it must be that...

But even if the twisted logic somehow held up, the Battalion leaving are not indicative of Toronto not being a hockey town. That's moronic logic.

Toronto has the largest minor hockey league in the entire world in the GTHL. They have 40 000 players registering every year.

Toronto not being a hockey town is like saying Nashville isn't the home of country music. It's not true.
You need to look at a map. your comparisons are way off when comparing Toronto/Mississauga to Boston New York.
Corporate aside, i am going to say more than half of the attendance of at a Leaf game is from outside of the city of Toronto. More people live outside the city than in the city. Not to mention, that now over 50% of the city population of Toronto2.6 million are visible minority and are not necessarily hockey fans.

AS for four teams in the CHL that exist in NHL markets, you are wrong again.
I can name off lots. hmm. Brampton, Oshawa, Mississauga, Guelph, Plymouth, Windsor, Niagara, Broisband, Hull. Not to mention some just onthe outskirts like Barrie, Kitchener, Sarnia etc.

Of those four teams. They have CFL(can't remember if Ottawa does or not anymore), the Canucks have Abbotsford Heat and if toronto is within driving distance of another NHL team then so is Ottawa.

Last edited by Puckclektr: 11-09-2012 at 12:14 PM.