HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Redskins Thread III (It's RGIII's Playground)

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

vCash: 500
Hahaha, what.

That was the play called?

11-04-2012, 04:16 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Shanahan calls out the defense last week and they do not respond. That and the team committed bad penalty after bad penalty that killed drives or took TD's off the board. Things are not looking good for Shanahan. He better make the most of this bye week.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Was it just me, or did they give the ball to Brandon Banks is key situation after key situation? Who's bright idea was that?

Old
11-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Capitlols

Seriously, please fire Haslett.

Please.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:20 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettXNA View Post
Can anyone explain why ANY of these coaches still have a job with the Redskins ?
The odds of any coaches getting fired is remote, and if a coach does get fired the odds of it improving the team are just as remote. We are stuck with what we have until the offseason.

With a defense that is **** all we have to look forward to at this point is for Griffin and the young players to get valuable playing experience, and for Griffin to last the entire season without getting seriously hurt.

Old
11-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Defense is butt.

Offense is alright. I keep thinking of how they had several opportunities to score a TD today, but messed it up by calling screens, pitches that didn't work, running plays to RG3 which got stuffed (Hey, we're going to have him run to the right! No one will see that coming!)...there were just too many to mention. Penalties, bad offensive playcalling, and crappy defense which allowed a like 70 yard play...when the Panthers were scrimmaging DEEP in Redskins territory. It was the first damn play of that drive, and Edwards just torched everyone.

http://twitter.com/DanHellie/statuse...03878579019776
Quote:
Wow. Mike Shanahan "now we have a chance to evaluate players". Translation - season is over
I said this team had the potential for 7 wins. With another mid-season slump, it looks like this team may go back to 5 wins, or 4.

It's clear that the team doesn't have the weapons RG3 needs. He is doing very well. He has no help at all. His defense is poor, his offense can't make catches, or he's held back by ignorant playcalling obsessed with calling screens and pitches and option plays which DON'T WORK on 3rd down. It's very frustrating for Redskins fans to go through this year after year.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Defense is butt.

Offense is alright. I keep thinking of how they had several opportunities to score a TD today, but messed it up by calling screens, pitches that didn't work, running plays to RG3 which got stuffed (Hey, we're going to have him run to the right! No one will see that coming!)...there were just too many to mention. Penalties, bad offensive playcalling, and crappy defense which allowed a like 70 yard play...when the Panthers were scrimmaging DEEP in Redskins territory. It was the first damn play of that drive, and Edwards just torched everyone.

http://twitter.com/DanHellie/statuse...03878579019776

I said this team had the potential for 7 wins. With another mid-season slump, it looks like this team may go back to 5 wins, or 4.

It's clear that the team doesn't have the weapons RG3 needs. He is doing very well. He has no help at all. His defense is poor, his offense can't make catches, or he's held back by ignorant playcalling obsessed with calling screens and pitches and option plays which DON'T WORK on 3rd down. It's very frustrating for Redskins fans to go through this year after year.
He really said that? Shanahan's best days are far, far behind him. If getting your butt kicked at home by a 1-6 team doesn't convince the few remaining kool aid drinkers who think he still is some kind of genius then I don't know what will.

There was absolutely no game plan on offense today that made any sense. I particularly liked where they had first and goal from the 3 or 4 and couldn't get it in. This with allegedly brilliant offensive coaching minds and a brilliant rookie QB who can't be stopped.

Nice to see the o-line just giving up down the stretch as well, making sure their one good offensive player takes multiple heavy hits down the stretch. And Griffin needs to shut his pie hole and not talk trash when the game's been a butt kicking all day. As the Panther players showed him when he was running his mouth, the scoreboard is what counts.

So let's see this week how the media spin doctors turn this into some kind of "progress" from the great Shanahan.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:26 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
He really said that? Shanahan's best days are far, far behind him. If getting your butt kicked at home by a 1-6 team doesn't convince the few remaining kool aid drinkers who think he still is some kind of genius then I don't know what will.

There was absolutely no game plan on offense today that made any sense. I particularly liked where they had first and goal from the 3 or 4 and couldn't get it in. This with allegedly brilliant offensive coaching minds and a brilliant rookie QB who can't be stopped.

Nice to see the o-line just giving up down the stretch as well, making sure their one good offensive player takes multiple heavy hits down the stretch. And Griffin needs to shut his pie hole and not talk trash when the game's been a butt kicking all day. As the Panther players showed him when he was running his mouth, the scoreboard is what counts.

So let's see this week how the media spin doctors turn this into some kind of "progress" from the great Shanahan.
Have you been living in a hole the last week, or lose power from Sandy? The local media has been anything but a mouth piece for Shanahan. It was all doom and gloom after the Steelers game. And now we will have 2 weeks of the same.

As for a buttkicking, I didn't see that, but what else is new in regards to me not agreeing with you. My definition of a butt kicking is that Monday Night game against the Eagles last year or the year before where Vick and friends completely lit up Landry and the Skins Defense. I saw a Skins team that beat itself today with piss poor defense and undisiplined play that led to multple bad penalties that took TD's off the board or stopped drives. Play calling, especially that Griffin sweep to the short side of the field on 4th and goal, was piss poor as well. A total team loss.

In regards to Shanahan, well yes I would say his seat is starting to get warm. He called out his defense last week to step it up and they didn't even come close. And the bad penalties, especially procedure penalties, fall on him as the HC. So his leadership of his team is in question. If he can't get his team to respond and play with disipline that is not a good sign.

I've said it before and I will say it again, be careful what you wish for in regards to wanting Shanahan fired. There is a very real possibility if Shanahan gets the boot that Uncle Vinny returns, and if he does you can forget about the Skins ever competing for anything but top 5 picks for the foreseable future.

Ultimalety though I think Shanahan sees the end of his 5 year deal.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Have you been living in a hole the last week, or lose power from Sandy? The local media has been anything but a mouth piece for Shanahan. It was all doom and gloom after the Steelers game. And now we will have 2 weeks of the same.

As for a buttkicking, I didn't see that, but what else is new in regards to me not agreeing with you. My definition of a butt kicking is that Monday Night game against the Eagles last year or the year before where Vick and friends completely lit up Landry and the Skins Defense. I saw a Skins team that beat itself today with piss poor defense and undisiplined play that led to multple bad penalties that took TD's off the board or stopped drives. Play calling, especially that Griffin sweep to the short side of the field on 4th and goal, was piss poor as well. A total team loss.

In regards to Shanahan, well yes I would say his seat is starting to get warm. He called out his defense last week to step it up and they didn't even come close. And the bad penalties, especially procedure penalties, fall on him as the HC. So his leadership of his team is in question. If he can't get his team to respond and play with disipline that is not a good sign.

I've said it before and I will say it again, be careful what you wish for in regards to wanting Shanahan fired. There is a very real possibility if Shanahan gets the boot that Uncle Vinny returns, and if he does you can forget about the Skins ever competing for anything but top 5 picks for the foreseable future.

Danny cannot be that stupid. I doesn't have to be one or the other. I have generally been supportive of the Shanahans but my patience is running thin. The offensive play calling today was atrocious. You have a smart, accurate, and mobile QB, you have an RB running for almost 6 yards a pop, no turnovers, and you struggle this badly to score? I don't care how bad our receivers are, that is on the play calling.

As for the future leadership of this organization, I fire Shanny as President and Allen as token GM. Shanny can leave if he chooses or stay on as coach, if the new GM is willing to keep him on. I then hire an established GM out of work (like Bill Polian) or a highly regarded assistant GM somewhere and get the hell out of his way. While our first round picks have been decent, rounds 2-4 have been generally atrocious. I'm not sure that we have hit on one of them in 3 drafts.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:47 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Danny cannot be that stupid. I doesn't have to be one or the other. I have generally been supportive of the Shanahans but my patience is running thin. The offensive play calling today was atrocious. You have a smart, accurate, and mobile QB, you have an RB running for almost 6 yards a pop, no turnovers, and you struggle this badly to score? I don't care how bad our receivers are, that is on the play calling.

As for the future leadership of this organization, I fire Shanny as President and Allen as token GM. Shanny can leave if he chooses or stay on as coach, if the new GM is willing to keep him on. I then hire an established GM out of work (like Bill Polian) or a highly regarded assistant GM somewhere and get the hell out of his way. While our first round picks have been decent, rounds 2-4 have been generally atrocious. I'm not sure that we have hit on one of them in 3 drafts.
Uncle Vinny toiled quietly when Schottenheimer was brought in and returned after Marty was fired, and Uncle Vinny is toiling quietly again now bidding his time for a return again. If Shanahan and Allen are fired I give it a 50/50 chance Uncle Vinny returns.

In regards to 2-4 round draft picks, lets see:

2010:
2nd Round: McNabb = Bust
3rd Round: Jeramy Jarmone = Bust, but he was picked in the supplemental the previous year by Uncle Vinny. Not a Shanahan pick. Traded for Jabar Gaffney.
4th Round: Perry Riley = Starting ILB

2011:
2nd Round: Jarvis Jenkins = Starting DE, but appears to be not fully recovered from knee surgery.
3rd Round: Leonard Hankerson = Starter/regular contributor at WR. Still has work to do to be a bonafide NFL WR.
4th Round: Roy Helu = Promising rookie season at RB, but on IR now. Developing into an injury prone 3rd down back.

2012:
2nd Round: Traded to Rams for Griffin. Worth it IMO.
3rd Round: Josh LeReibus = Back up guard who has been active for some games. Still up in the air.
4th Round: Kirk Cousins = Back up QB to Griffin. Played well in pre-season, evaluation incomplete.
4th Round: Keenan Robinson = Back up ILB and valuable special teams contributor.

Trading a 2nd round pick for McNabb was a complete bust, but I think its fair to say that Shanahan's 2-4 round picks are far from atrocious.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:40 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Speaking of atrocious 2-4 round draft picks, I give you the 2nd Vinny Cerrato era:

2002 Draft:
2nd Round: Ladell Betts = Good back up RB and 3rd down back. Should of be given a shot to be starter over trading for Clinton Portis.
3rd Round: Rashad Bauman = CB that did nothing of consequence as a Skin.
3rd Round: Cliff Russell = Played 2 years for the Skins. Labeling him a journeyman WR is generous.
4th Round: No pick

2003 Draft: Skins had only a 2nd, 3rd, and 7th round pick this year.
2nd Round: Taylor Jacobs = Hung around as a WR, but nothing special.
3rd Round: Derrick Dockery = Had a nice NFL career as a Guard.

2004 Draft: Skins had only a 1st, 3rd, 5th and 6th round picks this year.
2nd Round: No pick
3rd Round: Chris Cooley = Good career as an NFL TE

2005 Draft:
2nd Round: No pick - pick was traded the year before to get 3rd to select Cooley.
3rd Round: No pick - Part of trade to move up to pick Jason Campbell in the 1st round.
4th Round: Manuel White = RB of no consequence. Maybe a good special teams player.

2006 Draft:
2nd Round: Rocky McIntosh = Average NFL LB
3rd Round: No pick
4th Round: No pick - traded the year before to move up to pick Jason Campbell

2007 Draft:
2nd Round: No pick - Traded the year before to move up to pick Rocky McIntosh
3rd Round: No pick - Traded to DEN, was part of the DJ Duckett trade.

2008 Draft:
2nd Round: Devin Thomas = Think he is a club dancer in NYC now
2nd Round: Fred Davis = Potential to be a pro-bowl TE. Currently on IR
2nd Round: Malcolm Kelly = Injury plagued WR, retired
3rd Round: Chad Reinhart = Backup OL with the Bills
4th Round: Justin Tryon = Special teams player/back up CB with Giants

2009 Draft:
2nd Round: No pick
3rd Round: Kevin Barnes = CB traded to Detroit. Skins could use him right about now

Vinny Cerratto ran this team into the ground from 2002 to 2009. The proof is listed above. Out of 23 picks between the 2nd and 4th round maybe 6 picks turned out to be bonafide NFL players. 6 out of 23 picks. Hell the 2008 draft is the only draft between 2002 and 2009 where the Skins picked players in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. Let that sink in.

It is because of the futility I listed above that I long for Shanahan to hang around. Not because Shanahan won 2 SB's, but because Shanahan at least has a clue of how to manage the draft and an NFL roster. I cannot bear the thought of Vinny Cerratto returning to the front office of the Skins, and if Shanahan gets run out of town the return of Uncle Vinny is a real possibility.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Capitlols

^ Kevin Barnes actually got cut by the Lions.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post

The media is only now starting to change it's tune. As usual, with a couple wins here or there, things are all wine and roses and there is playoff talk in the air. Give RG3 the ball and this team will go places. Well like many of us expected, teams eventually will start finding ways to defend him, and then what happens? The Shanahans as usual have no backup plan. Hey let's throw another screen pass...

That was a butt kicking, even you aren't that optimistic. It was 21-6 before a very late TD that took them how many extra plays and crucial seconds off the clock? The Panthers had not one but two 90+ yard drives for scores. Carolina managed to keep the great RG3 and the Shanahans out of the end zone despite having first and goal from the 3. Four tries, and they couldn't find a way to get it in. That to add insult to injury, Carolina then did one of their 90 yard drives. Like I said, it was 21-6until a practically meaningless late TD. Great onsides kick too, right to the Panthers. This team literally does nothing right. And this was at home.

All of what you say about Shanahan "now" is what I've been saying for 2 years. The team is undisciplined, looks unprepared, they can't block or tackle, play defense or do anything even remotely average. His idiotic post game comments should only dig his grave faster. I'm sick of his "we'll evaluate players" nonsense. Or his "we need more time to build this thing." Luck and the Colts who were horrid last season are 5-3. And Luck is doing a lot more than throwing screen passes all day. The Niners last year went from awful to a division winner overnight. This team still is showing no signs of even a little bit of improvement.

I could care less who comes in after these clowns. I've said all along that under Snyder this franchise is going nowhere. Shanahan was supposed to be the big fix, but the team looks awful most Sundays, his drafts have been mediocre at best and his FA signings have stunk for the most part. But thankfully, finally the media is starting to get it, if this morning's radio shows and Post articles are any indication.

Old
11-05-2012, 09:42 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

I don't see how the Skins franchise compares to the 49ers or Colts. The 49ers were **** for years but drafted well and only needed a coach that knew how to coach. They have that in Jim Harbaugh. The Colts were **** last year because they lost their HOF QB for the year and they had a backup that was worse than John Beck. Now they have a rookie QB that is the real deal and internal motiviation to play for their HC who is fighting cancer. Also a different scenario then what the Skins are dealing with.

The post of mine above listing the Skins 2-4 round drafting during Vinny Cerrato's run as GM should say it all. 6 players out of 23 possible picks that had any kind of NFL career. Add to it bull **** FA policies that saw past their prime FA get signed to cap crippling contracts and you have a Skins franchise that needed a complete rebuild that will take more than 3 years.

Ultimately though Shanahan is at a crossroads, IMO. The team is not showing improvement over last year at this point. That falls on Shanahan's shoulders. I wasn't expecting playoffs this year, but I was expecting to see this team compete at a high level based on their talent level. I saw that in the beginning of the season, on offense at least, but from the STeelers game to yesterday the Skins have taken a noticable step back.

People can say Shanahan's comments after the game were inappropriate, but I think he was dead on. The team is 3-6 in a division and conference with a lot of good teams. The odds of making the playoffs are slim, so the time now is to evaluate what the team has and make plans for making needed changes in the offseason. Shanahan spoke the truth and I will take the truth over BS any day.

As for not caring who comes in after these clowns get the boot? That is a telling statement. I care if a clown like Vinny Cerrato returns to the front office. Any true Skins fans should care as well. Regardless, absent a complete collapse by the Skins finishing the season Shanahan returns for at least a 4th year.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I remain neutral on Shanahan. I've liked his drafting, but something has to be done about this defense. This coming offseason and next season are likely make or break for him here. I think he can pull it off.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

I still hate Kyle Shanahan, despite him installing the Baylor offense.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I was coming around on Kyle but that last play yesterday set him back.

Old
11-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Capitlols

Really miss the 4-3.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:51 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

For those that want Hasslett fired during the bye week I hope you watched the game last night. Eagles fired their D coordinator over their bye week and their defense has gotten worse. It really is surprising to watch the Eagles suck so bad. Losing 4 starters on their O'line has really hurt them as well. Despite all that the Eagles will probably win against the Skins.

Speaking of Kyle Shanahan as a play caller, I to am disappointed. The play calling over the last 2 games has been substandard. The reason is clear to me. Defenses are figuring out how to stop/limit the Griffin offense and Kyle has not been able to adjust the last 2 weeks. Main issue is not featuring Alfred Morris more. Especially in the Panthers game. The Skins should of ran Morris as much as possible and then hit play action. Missed opportunity.

I have said before the real test for the Skins and Griffin is how the offense reacts when teams start figuring out how to stop Griffin. So far they haven't reacted well. Now they have 2 weeks to figure it out. The Eagles game will say a lot.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Duke33

Good for Brian Mitchell to point the finger exactly where it needs to go. The coaching staff. Another season, another week 9 and another "we need to evaluate." Like Brian said, what the hell are these people doing in training camp?

This team is going backwards not forwards while other teams that have been awful have turned things around quickly. And like last season, the Redskins have a bye before playing the Eagles. Hopefully two weeks is enough time for the Shanny boys to come up with some semblance of a game plan. Last year when they had the bye, the Eagles came right out and jumped on a flat, unprepared team to the tune of a 20-0 first half lead.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:01 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Now Brian Mitchell's word is gospel? Interesting. Doc Walker is much more credible than M B****.

Player evaluation does not end when training camp is over. And when is it better to evaluate players? During training camp with practice and pre-season games, or during the season when the games count and the Skins are behind the 8 ball with a 3-6 record?

I know you are eager for the local media to roast Shanahan over the teams performance, but you can at least pick someone better that Mitchell to promote. He is a Steve Czaban clone that actually played in the league. Radio troll.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:56 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Really miss the 4-3.
+1

It says a lot that Haslet wanted the 4-3 and Shanahan said nope. I wonder, is Haslet even calling the shots at all now? I am starting to doubt it.

I also miss stout linemen that are built to do more than run block, and offenses that are not so dependent on play action. But with lightweight OL, we have to run first.

Mike pushes all in on being able to run, and it makes us one dimensional. Down a few scores late, our line cannot pass protect effectively without play action. Its a passing league, and our passing game is so limited.

I think Morris got dinged last game, and we were dead. We have no RB depth. Running Banks, Morgan, and Briscoe... heck its proof I guess of how bad Royster is.

Bring back the train Torain! And **** politics.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:39 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Shanahan spent his time off between the Broncos and the Skins visiting coaching staffs from the Florida Gators to the New England Patriots. He came away from that wanting to run the 3-4. Haslett took the job knowing the 3-4 is what the Boss wanted. It is what it is.

The most telling issue with the defense is how the expected strong depth among the front 7 has turned out to be not so strong. Losing Carriker and Orakpo was a blow, but players like Jenkins, Jackson, and Wilson were supposed to fill the void. They haven't.

I still feel the O-line is doing a good job. Sure Polombus is a turnstyle in pass blocking, but Griffin also held the ball a tad to long on some of those late sacks. A little rookie showed from him. On the bright side Jammal Brown has been cleared for practice.

Old
11-09-2012, 08:46 AM
BobRouse

I'm with WH....Cerrato is the monster who crushed this franchise and he has already come back a 2nd time already so who's to say it won't be a 3rd?

IF Shanahan and Allen are fired at the end of the season like some reactionaries would like then no self respectable coach would even consider coming here and Snyder will probably bring back Vinny and they will hire some Zorn like coach since that will be the only thing they can get.

It would be a DISASTER if we did not give this administration their full 5 years.

I don't think many of you understand just how badly Vinny and Danny ran this team into the ground. The current administration is still trying to clean up their mess and with the cap penalty that won't be until after next year when they will have a clean slate.

Old
11-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

If Shanny is fired and Vinny gets brought back we might as well trade Griffin. It would be unfair to waste his time, give him a chance to win somewhere else.

Closed Thread