HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tropical Storm Sandy **BE CAREFUL EAST COAST!!**

Old
11-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I don't know how true it is cause its just the rumor going around that we won't be getting power back here in East Rockaway/Oceanside until possibly around thanksgiving which is insane.

Get this BS LIPA actually called my house today, we have a land line with cable back up and running, to make sure we got our bill and that it wasn't lost in the storm or the hassle afterwards and they're just calling to remind people.. even though our account is up to date they're calling to get money are they for real?! I thought my girl friend was going to punch the guy thru the phone.
Are you serious? How didn't you lose it? If that was me I would have gone to LIPA headquarters with a bat and just start smashing ****. Pay your bill? **** that! They should be paying YOU for the inconvenience plus all the food you had to throw away. Bill?!?! Those ******** should be sending out CHECKS!!!!

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Are you serious? How didn't you lose it? If that was me I would have gone to LIPA headquarters with a bat and just start smashing ****. Pay your bill? **** that! They should be paying YOU for the inconvenience plus all the food you had to throw away. Bill?!?! Those ******** should be sending out CHECKS!!!!
If I wasn't sitting here listening to her flip out I wouldn't have believed they actually had the audacity to call about anything other than updating us on progress, which is something else that pisses me off.. I understand we got wiped out over here with all the water I knew it'd take a while but this is insane. Haven't heard one thing from them, if they came out and just said we are screwed ok I can take that just be honest and give us the has news instead of leaving us in the dark... no pun intended..

Newsday just tweeted that Nassau and Suffolk will impose odd/even gas rationing.. Not sure how that will affect people who have been filling jugs tho.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
If I wasn't sitting here listening to her flip out I wouldn't have believed they actually had the audacity to call about anything other than updating us on progress, which is something else that pisses me off.. I understand we got wiped out over here with all the water I knew it'd take a while but this is insane. Haven't heard one thing from them, if they came out and just said we are screwed ok I can take that just be honest and give us the has news instead of leaving us in the dark... no pun intended..

Newsday just tweeted that Nassau and Suffolk will impose odd/even gas rationing.. Not sure how that will affect people who have been filling jugs tho.
The only good thing to come out of this is that LIPA is done. It's over for them. Whoever takes over might be just as bad but we have to find out for ourselves instead of letting this happen again. I can't believe they have the nerve to charge full price when the service hasn't been used for going on 2 weeks now. In fact, my landlord just called me and told me he is reducing my rent for next month since I haven't been living there all week. God forbid LIPA does something like that.

As for gas rationing... it's about time. Jersey got it right when they implemented it days ago. Should really ease up the gas lines. Also just got confirmation that people with portable gas cans can go any day they want.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Darth Bangkok

Jeez I would have flipped out even more than Twine implies. I got mad yesterday when my Con Ed bill came in the mail yesterday and on the envelope was written to go on their website to check for outages. Well first of all, if my electricity is off, I ALREADY KNOW. and secondly, how the **** do I go online to check without any electricity? If they called me while my power had been out for two weeks to remind me to pay the bill, you all might have heard my screaming at them come through HF Boards.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 06:28 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
http://mappler.net/gasstation/

I don't remember if I posted this ITT or not, but this map has been doing a good job updating who has & doesn't have gas. Not all stations are shown though. I believe if you email the guy who runs the map & update him on a station not shown he'll put it on.
http://www.gasbuddy.com/sandy/

This one seems to be updated pretty frequently. I used it to find a station today.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:26 AM
HammyNyIslesCupCrazy

I live 5 minutes from the coliseum and just had my power restored this morning by a crew from Oakville Ontario, same town where Mr. Tavares is from. I told them how I am an Isles fan and they said yeah "Johnny is a local boy." Thank god for this crew, I have been without power, freezing and starving for 12 days. The transformer around the block was fixed this morning but my house still didn't have power. Instead of just driving away like many LIPA trucks have, they grabbed another truck of theirs and came in front of my house and unclogged the pole in front that was receiving power. They even took the time to speak with a mother who had 3 small children. The mother didn't speak english, and her little son was translating. The crew told them to look for the men in white hats and tell them where they live and they would come to their house and fix it. Thank god for Oakville Hydro!

HammyNyIslesCupCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:55 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammyNyIslesCupCrazy View Post
I live 5 minutes from the coliseum and just had my power restored this morning by a crew from Oakville Ontario, same town where Mr. Tavares is from. I told them how I am an Isles fan and they said yeah "Johnny is a local boy." Thank god for this crew, I have been without power, freezing and starving for 12 days. The transformer around the block was fixed this morning but my house still didn't have power. Instead of just driving away like many LIPA trucks have, they grabbed another truck of theirs and came in front of my house and unclogged the pole in front that was receiving power. They even took the time to speak with a mother who had 3 small children. The mother didn't speak english, and her little son was translating. The crew told them to look for the men in white hats and tell them where they live and they would come to their house and fix it. Thank god for Oakville Hydro!
If that's the group that met with my buddy to do his lines, they slept in their truck and went home right after their gas tank went empty. GREAT GUYS. (I told my friend he should have bought them beer since they came back after 6PM to help him out)

He's in Lindenhurst FWIW. Brand new house (totally rebuilt foundation up) right on the water and he didn't get much damage at all surprisingly.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Noreaster96

Hey all, not to bump an old thread for nothing but Just came across an article on Sandy... Basically says it was a "1 in 700 year storm", thought some weather buffs here may be interested in it...

It's important to note that a 1 in 700 year storm doesn't mean it can't happen tomorrow, it just shows how relatively rare such a storm is

http://news.yahoo.com/hurricane-sand...182934012.html

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Green Blob*

Wow, thats crazy.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Recovery around here is still ongoing... I still have another family living in my house because their home is still being lifted/rebuilt and there are tons more families out there like that. Not to mention businesses by me are still empty lost a lot of the easy walking distance stores (most importantly the place I go to get beer). Just had redo my entire front and backyard because the saltwater destroyed and killed all of the plants and trees.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 12:09 AM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Recovery around here is still ongoing... I still have another family living in my house because their home is still being lifted/rebuilt and there are tons more families out there like that. Not to mention businesses by me are still empty lost a lot of the easy walking distance stores (most importantly the place I go to get beer). Just had redo my entire front and backyard because the saltwater destroyed and killed all of the plants and trees.
It really was just awful... A lot of places will really never be the same... Best of luck to you Bunk, and to everyone else as well

Here's hoping that we don't have to deal with another storm like that for a looooooooonnnngggg time, if ever at all... I'll try to keep up with the weather and throw my 2 cents around if I see something big down the line for the Island, as will our other weather fans and meteorologists as well I'm sure

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Boik14

I dont know where some of you live but I can look out my window and see a 1/3rd finished boardwalk in Long Beach and the west end is still in shambles. My apartment was a storage area for 6 months after this storm while the basement apartments/laundry room/electric/boilers and 1st floor were repaired. The New York Sports Clubs down the block from me still isnt open, though someone told me that was because of an insurance fraud issue. Dont know how true that is but its one of many businesses still not re-opened.

Boik14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

A family member of mine near the Jersey shore says her whole neighborhood is having work done. Only a few houses were somewhat spared because they had been lifted previously.

Hope things return to a new normal for those still rebuilding.

07-17-2013, 05:47 PM
MJF

Quote:
I have family in Breezy Point and can tell you it is practically a ghost town for this time of year. Only about 30% of the year-round residents are back in their homes. My family is one of the lucky ones to be totally finished repairing their house. Everyone there sustained water damage, if not completely burned down. Many of the houses that weren't condemned stand gutted and waiting for repairs to commence.
One sticking point seems to be that many of the homeowners no longer had mortgages and did not carry flood insurance, so they may not have the money for further repairs.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote